ADVERTISEMENT

Serra 57, Salinas 21

25 of the team’s 80 completions, close to 30% of the team’s total completions. That’s pretty impressive, especially since he got every opposing secondary’s utmost attentions.
And @40.
Ladouceur and Alumbaugh use(s) their Y much differently then you'd expect. It's typically on a 2nd and short and mid-field. To defend the veer the LBs must key on the 2 and 3 backs, the TE gets depth and 20+ yds. It's ALWAYS a line to gain, and the machine grinds.

Perfect example is the NFL TE with 20...TWENTY, recs in two years as the Y starter and 4 TDs from memory.

A baseball player that senior year had more catches and TDs.

Reactions: observer22
That Serra win at Folsom was even more impressive as it was the Padres' first game and Folsom already had a game vs Monterey Trail the week before. Unfortunately, Folsom lost its D1 TE, but you play with the players you have available.
And Folsom did have their best receiver and player, Rico Flores playing. Folsom wasn't bereft of receiving talent

A funny/sad backstory of that game, as told by my brother who went to Salinas at this time…

The week before, Salinas had beaten Oak Grove (the coach was some guy named Holmgren) on a very dramatic last-second FG.

Right afterward was the start of winter break. The placekicker’s family had a trip to Mexico planned to visit family, so he had to go.

The following week against St. Francis, the backup kicker missed 2 or 3 PATs, which was effectively the margin of the Lancer win.

When school restarted and the kicker had returned from the trip, everyone was mad at him.

And Folsom did have their best receiver and player, Rico Flores playing. Folsom wasn't bereft of receiving talent
Yes, but if there is only one WR about to really worry, you can defend him more easily.

The question was whether the Serra pass defense had really been tested. 25 receptions isn’t testing anyone.
Guess they were tested today. There front 7 is elite, when you can rush like they do, good things happen.
Yes, but if there is only one WR about to really worry, you can defend him more easily.
guess Serra was battle tested. Could of been 100-14

Reactions: THEOC89
Assuming Serra wins next week, are they good enough to avoid complete annihilation by Mater Dei or SJB? Could this team actually compete and represent well?

I’m thinking it could be possible.

I’m not saying “win” or even play super close. Just not lose 62-7 or something. More like 45-24.

Assuming Serra wins next week, are they good enough to avoid complete annihilation by Mater Dei or SJB? Could this team actually compete and represent well?

I’m not saying “win” or even play super close. Just not lose 62-7 or something. More like 45-24.

I think it’s possible, although looking at what Mater Dei just did to Los Al, I’m less confident. Serra has a lot returning next year, so maybe 2023 is more likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: colhenrylives
Folsom's passing scheme is what gets receivers open. They were still a formidable offense even without Lyons.

I do think they could keep it closer (21-28 points seems about right). While they don't have the same man power on the lines, they seem to be faster on defense and have more big play ability on offense.

Again, not predicting a close game if Serra ends up in the Open game, but Walsh is the type of coach that is willing to change his plan of attack to get an advantage (for example, going to the double wing against Folsom earlier this year).

Great point re OL and DL kids at Serra. Not enough elephants to counter the beef at MD and Bosco. Maybe in 2023. Unclear at this point.

I believe that in the last 3-4 years (not counting the five-game Spring season) Serra has lost its best player each year and kept on winning ... that includes Ryan Silver (OL-DL) this season and Hassan Mahasin last season. The other year they lost their QB and Dominique Lampkin stepped right in.

Oops, forgot to post draft earlier...
It's yet to be determined if it will be MD or SJB or if it will be Serra in Open. But if it is MD and Serra again, a score better than 44-7 is what I would call improvement!

A funny/sad backstory of that game, as told by my brother who went to Salinas at this time…

The week before, Salinas had beaten Oak Grove (the coach was some guy named Holmgren) on a very dramatic last-second FG.

Right afterward was the start of winter break. The placekicker’s family had a trip to Mexico planned to visit family, so he had to go.

The following week against St. Francis, the backup kicker missed 2 or 3 PATs, which was effectively the margin of the Lancer win.

When school restarted and the kicker had returned from the trip, everyone was mad at him.
What year did your brother graduate? He might of been a classmate of John Felice who coached the 94 section Cowboy CCS championship team. His family and mine go way back and we were classmates in junior high. John coached a championship team in I believe his one and only as HC of the Cowboys.

Reactions: concrete17
What year did your brother graduate? He might of been a classmate of John Felice who coached the 94 section Cowboy CCS championship team. His family and mine go way back and we were classmates in junior high. John coached a championship team in I believe his one and only as HC of the Cowboys.
He graduated in '80. Yes, when I played, Chuck, John's brother was on the JV staff and remembered him.

He graduated in '80. Yes, when I played, Chuck, John's brother was on the JV staff and remembered him.
Yep. Chuck is a great person. Forgot John's younger brother also coached at Salinas. Chuck is close to or my brother's age. My brother was HC in youth league for many of the players on the last few strong Salinas and Palma teams. Knowing the kids would be going to Palma or Salinas he ran a hybrid of both offenses and some double wing to mess up the competitors. A few of his players over the years ended up at major colleges and one in the NFL now.

Last edited:
Reactions: CeeeMeee and RLS13
I said stop the counter/ cut and Salinas is done. something about scoring 40pts a game lol damd school with H20 kids and lacrosse players would have faired better than Salinas

Only one team in the Golden (well, sort of) State is undeniably unbeatable: Mater Dei. St. John Bosco is close. Everyone else is vulnerable on a given Friday or Saturday. That includes Serra. Stuff happens. Bad luck. Big plays/turnovers. Huge penalties. Teen miscues. Injuries. Who knows? MD is arguably perfect. Is anyone else? No.
Whoops. MD not so perfect after all....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT