ADVERTISEMENT

SJS 2023

BigMann08

Sports Fanatic
Dec 1, 2008
Throughout the valley, in June, we've enjoyed the coastal-like weather. But baby, it's July, and the forecast suggests things are heating up! The heat only means one thing, that we are getting closer to the upcoming HS football season. Folsom has been the king of SJS football! Grant has restocked and is coming off a State Championship. Oak Ridge returns plenty, including national recruit Kaleb Edwards. I'm confident that St. Mary's seeks revenge, or should I say redemption? Granite Bay's backfield will be a problem! Speaking of backfields, will there be enough room in Grant's?

I'm "loving" the youth movement in the section! I'm excited to see Ryder Lyon at Folsom and Isaiah Ene at Granite Bay. And it appears that Big Lex Mailangi, aka South Sac's finest, is heading to Mater Dei! I'm sure there are other names! Please fill me in!

Grant has a ton of transfers, including Wayshawn Parker, Devin Green, and Jeremiah Tuiileia. These dudes can flat-out ball! QB Luke Alexander transferred in from Folsom last year and is approved to play by the CIF.

It looks like there may be more parity this season! I surely hope so!

I agree with your assessments. SJS way too early top 5
1) Folsom
2) St Marys
3) Grant
4) Oak Ridge
5) I’m open to suggestions. GB will be good but I don’t see top 5

Speaking of that freshmen Lex, he’s from the Jr Pacers youth teams and he’s going to be playing varsity as a freshmen at mater Dei! Keep an eye out for him.

Best time of year!!! Thoughts on SFL this year? Top 4? Can anyone challenge Folsom? Football is coming!
Indeed! Folsom should be strong again! It’s a tall task slowing down their passing arsenal. I look forward to seeing Oak Ridge in week 2. Looks like they had a good camp in Lake Tahoe. GBs backfield should be dangerous.

Reactions: The Heat Miser
If grant has transfers eligible for the OR game I think they could win against the Trojans. If not I will take OR at home. That’s a tall order early on against a very veteran OR team.

I think st marys is the most talented team. Folsom has to rebuild a little but they are still loaded if you ask me.

Oak Ridge
Saint Mary's
Folsom
Manteca/Grant
Turlock/Monterey Trail

If grant has transfers eligible for the OR game I think they could win against the Trojans. If not I will take OR at home. That’s a tall order early on against a very veteran OR team.

I think st marys is the most talented team. Folsom has to rebuild a little but they are still loaded if you ask me.
OR is a respected opponent. I imagine it would be tough with or without the transfers.

I agree with your assessments. SJS way too early top 5
1) Folsom
2) St Marys
3) Grant
4) Oak Ridge
5) I’m open to suggestions. GB will be good but I don’t see top 5

Speaking of that freshmen Lex, he’s from the Jr Pacers youth teams and he’s going to be playing varsity as a freshmen at mater Dei! Keep an eye out for him.
My Question about ST Mary’s would be with their Defense…. How will they improve on that side of the Ball?….

In their 4 losses over the last 2 years they have given up 40-50 points in all those games…. And Even though they Beat DLS last year, DLS scored 35 points even with turning the ball over 3 times….

They even gave up 50+ in their first round loss to Turlock who I think OR shut out the next week….

Their Offense is Fantastic, but will their defense be effective against the top level teams in Nor Cal?….

We shall see on the Rams defensive side, if they can hold on in tight games like the NorCal AA Bowl Game. DLS held to a 17-14 win over Folsom who narrowly defeated Oak Ridge 23-13 in the D1 championship. Saint Mary's likely will make defensive changes or will face the gauntlet of a strong schedule. Turlock and Oak Ridge seem to be making statements this year in the SJS. I think the same question could be true for Grant on the defensive end now that they're in the SFL.

I think your team speed would cause issues and a big play or 2 would happen. (With transfers). The RB From Sheldon is beast.
Indeed! I also believe that the big play threat is there among the returners. Lopa is a tall athletic target at 6’5 who is a nightmare matchup for opposing secondaries. Semaj Mafu Hart is a first team All City running back with breakaway speed. Both have big play capabilities.

There’s also a few other returning players to look out for, including Kyle Jones.

My Question about ST Mary’s would be with their Defense…. How will they improve on that side of the Ball?….

In their 4 losses over the last 2 years they have given up 40-50 points in all those games…. And Even though they Beat DLS last year, DLS scored 35 points even with turning the ball over 3 times….

They even gave up 50+ in their first round loss to Turlock who I think OR shut out the next week….

Their Offense is Fantastic, but will their defense be effective against the top level teams in Nor Cal?….
You’re right about their defense. It’s not good. My ranking is based on their offense and they bring back a lot from last season. I watched them play DLS and the game wasn’t as close as the final score. Perhaps they overlooked Turlock?

We shall see on the Rams defensive side, if they can hold on in tight games like the NorCal AA Bowl Game. DLS held to a 17-14 win over Folsom who narrowly defeated Oak Ridge 23-13 in the D1 championship. Saint Mary's likely will make defensive changes or will face the gauntlet of a strong schedule. Turlock and Oak Ridge seem to be making statements this year in the SJS. I think the same question could be true for Grant on the defensive end now that they're in the SFL.
The Pacers have a lot to prove on the defensive side of the ball. I’m wondering if this will be the season that we see a return to that dominate-smash mouth defense that we grew accustomed to. Although they did hold tight last season.

I look forward to seeing them scrimmage in the next few weeks.

You’re right about their defense. It’s not good. My ranking is based on their offense and they bring back a lot from last season. I watched them play DLS and the game wasn’t as close as the final score. Perhaps they overlooked Turlock?
I would Put them at #2 like you have them because of exactly what you said about their offense so I agree there…. SM is going to put up a bunch of points on whoever they play…..

And yes, I am sure they took Turlock lightly…. They were like a 4 or 5 loss team so it would make sense that SM may have thought they were just going to roll in that game…. And they did on offense…..

Reactions: SJS Lord
I would Put them at #2 like you have them because of exactly what you said about their offense so I agree there…. SM is going to put up a bunch of points on whoever they play…..

And yes, I am sure they took Turlock lightly…. They were like a 4 or 5 loss team so it would make sense that SM may have thought they were just going to roll in that game…. And they did on offense…..
It's probable that they did take Turlock lightly but if they looked at their losses they were to very good teams. And Turlock did beat Rocklin and Clayton Valley. It was a case of whoever had the ball last would win, and St. Mary's was driving at the end and already close to field goal position when they threw an interception. Still, no guarantee that the field goal would be good as he missed an earlier one that would probably have put the game out of reach. Then Turlock was shut out against Oak Ridge. St. Mary's would have probably scored, but would it be enough to win? As for this year Turlock lost three-year starters at quarterback and running back but returns all the offensive line and all the DB's. But their non- conference schedule is Rocklin, Clovis West, Central Fresno, Folsom, and Clayton Valley. They could be 0 - 5 going into the league.

It's probable that they did take Turlock lightly but if they looked at their losses they were to very good teams. And Turlock did beat Rocklin and Clayton Valley. It was a case of whoever had the ball last would win, and St. Mary's was driving at the end and already close to field goal position when they threw an interception. Still, no guarantee that the field goal would be good as he missed an earlier one that would probably have put the game out of reach. Then Turlock was shut out against Oak Ridge. St. Mary's would have probably scored, but would it be enough to win? As for this year Turlock lost three-year starters at quarterback and running back but returns all the offensive line and all the DB's. But their non- conference schedule is Rocklin, Clovis West, Central Fresno, Folsom, and Clayton Valley. They could be 0 - 5 going into the league.
Wow!…. That’s a Nice Non League Schedule!!!….

I just think that ST Mary’s didn’t really play any close games last year except for the DLS game and they won by 10…. And since SM was a young team and undefeated, I just think that they were looking ahead to a possible OR or Folsom matchup and forgot they were playing a Battle tested tough and ready Football team like Turlock…..

And the fact that Turlock put up 50+ on SM tells you they were a very good team…. Every team that has beat SM the last 2 years has been in the 40-50 point range and they are all good teams….

That was a great win by Turlock and exactly why HSFB is so fun to watch….

I just think that ST Mary’s didn’t really play any close games last year except for the DLS game and they won by 10…. And since SM was a young team and undefeated, I just think that they were looking ahead to a possible OR or Folsom matchup and forgot they were playing a Battle tested tough and ready Football team like Turlock…..

And the fact that Turlock put up 50+ on SM tells you they were a very good team…. Every team that has beat SM the last 2 years has been in the 40-50 point range and they are all good teams….

Oak Ridge is going to be superb in the trenches. There line is massive and returned nearly everybody. I would say averages 6”4 265-270. LB’s are equally as good. Secondary will have some new faces so that could be a work in process but I have a feeling you aren’t going to score much on this Oak Ridge team. If they can find a way to get the ball to Edwards at TE (nationally ranked who I think will be a 5 star next year) and at TE Molloy (very underrated all SFL player) they will be tough.

Reactions: THEOC89
Oak Ridge is going to be superb in the trenches. There line is massive and returned nearly everybody. I would say averages 6”4 265-270. LB’s are equally as good. Secondary will have some new faces so that could be a work in process but I have a feeling you aren’t going to score much on this Oak Ridge team. If they can find a way to get the ball to Edwards at TE (nationally ranked who I think will be a 5 star next year) and at TE Molloy (very underrated all SFL player) they will be tough.
I bet Edwards will be the #1 TE in the country by the time he graduates. Norcal puts out as good of TE’s as any place in the country year in and year out.

I was having a drink with my buddy the other day whose kid will be at Folsom next year and he said they believe this will be their best lines since 2018 team. Lots of guys returning and they got a transfer from San Diego with some D1 offers who is humongous. SFL will be stacked this season as usual.

I bet Edwards will be the #1 TE in the country by the time he graduates. Norcal puts out as good of TE’s as any place in the country year in and year out.

I was having a drink with my buddy the other day whose kid will be at Folsom next year and he said they believe this will be their best lines since 2018 team. Lots of guys returning and they got a transfer from San Diego with some D1 offers who is humongous. SFL will be stacked this season as usual.
As for Edwards you have no argument here. He is now 6”7 225 and just turned 16. His skill level is off chart. I’m sure Folsom will be strong again. They are always tough and I’m curious to see how Lyons transitions. Personally I think he will be terrific.

St. Mary’s played many teams close during the first half of their respective games. Unfortunately for the young Rams, they were unable to make adjustments to stop Turlock’s QB and they were outcoached. Lots of trick plays utilized by Turlock and even faking an injury to stop the clock (Turlock coach telling his player to stay down only to see the player run off the field after the injury timeout and getting in a play during the injury timeout, when they had no timeouts left … pure genius!). Key plays for Turlock were the two 2-Pt extra point plays during their last two TDs. SM was driving at the end, but went for it all with a deep pass that was intercepted. QBs throw looked like he did not have a good grip on the ball when he threw it and knew it was a bad throw when it left his hands, not normal for him. Credit Turlock! They caught SM off-guard.

The SM Rams have never really relied on their defense. Even go back to their section title vs Nevada Union in 2004. It was a shootout. Their philosophy has always been if you want to beat them you have to outscore them. That’s what Turlock did.

I have inquired to one of the SM player’s dad on how the defense looks this year, specifically the LB’s and more specifically the middle. His response was that they should be better. They were young last year. This years non-league schedule (Clovis West, Central Catholic, Manteca, Bishop Amat, and DLS) will have them much better prepared for the playoffs. Only transfer player I am aware of that SM received is WR from Edison (Stockton). Both SM QBs return along with both OL and DL and defensive backfield and most of their WR corp. SM will miss 6’2” graduated WR Nas Danielson. But, that’s about it. Look for sophomore (last year freshman) WR Kenny Moore III to have a big season this year. He was one of the top freshmen in the state last year. SM offense was explosive last year. They will be even more explosive as seniors if they can stay healthy.

If they can escape that gauntlet of their non-league schedule at 4-1, if not 5-0, they will be harder to beat in the SJS playoffs this time around. We should have a pretty good perspective just from the first 3 games. I’m anticipating DLS will be better this year and more prepared for SM’s offense. Hopefully, the Rams defense is much better being another year older. Credit the win vs DLS last year to the turnovers, with a couple of them forced. Rams have to play better defense (like they did during the second half) vs the Spartans if they do indeed hope to repeat. Should be a great game! GO RAMS!!!

Looking forward to checking St. Mary's out this season. I heard that they looked really good during 7 on 7's. That offense should be a whole lot to deal with.
Grant, I heard looked pretty good, too. Here are highlights from the SJSU 7 on 7 tourney championship game:

Any word on Manteca? They’ve been putting out some great teams….I know they lost their star running back/linebacker… but they also return Bryson Davis, who had a great junior year….

Any word on Manteca? They’ve been putting out some great teams….I know they lost their star running back/linebacker… but they also return Bryson Davis, who had a great junior year….
Manteca indeed returns Davis who is a beast and will be a challenge for St. Mary’s defense. Last years Manteca’s JV team was pretty good as well, I believe only losing to Central Catholic. The Buffalos definitely should not be overlooked by St. Mary’s and treated as a tune-up match with the Rams next contest being vs DLS in Concord, even though they have a bye in between these games. I anticipate RUN RUN RUN from the Buffaloes with Bryson Davis leading the way. Let’s not forget that Manteca handily beat Turlock last year whereas St. Mary struggled and lost a close one. Yet, St Mary’s handily beat Central Catholic whereas Manteca struggled containing the Raiders offense and lost a close one. So much for comparing common opponent result as a factor. In any case, this should be a good game between Manteca @ St. Mary’s. Unfortunately, I will be missing this game celebrating with my family my granddaughter’s 2nd birthday with a getaway weekend celebration.

Manteca indeed returns Davis who is a beast and will be a challenge for St. Mary’s defense. Last years Manteca’s JV team was pretty good as well, I believe only losing to Central Catholic. The Buffalos definitely should not be overlooked by St. Mary’s and treated as a tune-up match with the Rams next contest being vs DLS in Concord, even though they have a bye in between these games. I anticipate RUN RUN RUN from the Buffaloes with Bryson Davis leading the way. Let’s not forget that Manteca handily beat Turlock last year whereas St. Mary struggled and lost a close one. Yet, St Mary’s handily beat Central Catholic whereas Manteca struggled containing the Raiders offense and lost a close one. So much for comparing common opponent result as a factor. In any case, this should be a good game between Manteca @ St. Mary’s. Unfortunately, I will be missing this game celebrating with my family my granddaughter’s 2nd birthday with a getaway weekend celebration.
I caught them on film a few times last year. They had a great ground game that gave teams fits. Their O-line was impressive as well!

I imagine that the Rams won’t overlook Manteca, especially since the Buffaloes won the SJS D2 championship last season.

This should be an interesting matchup!

The Rams definitely have some offensive weapons!

Any word on central Catholic this year?
Correct me if I’m wrong but I want to say there tall stud QB returns and they added 4 star Lineman from MC who Just committed to FSU. I’m assuming they will be good again.
Oak Ridge scrimmages Sheldon next week. I will let you guys know how they look. (At least early taste)

Def can’t wait for season.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I want to say there tall stud QB returns and they added 4 star Lineman from MC who Just committed to FSU. I’m assuming they will be good again.
Oak Ridge scrimmages Sheldon next week. I will let you guys know how they look. (At least early taste)

For a number of years Central Catholic has hosted a scrimmage one week before the season starts (this year on Aug. 11) with Turlock and Buhach Colony, and I assume they will do so this year too. I always look forward to these (other than the hot weather) as it gives a little glimpse into what to expect. A taste of football without worrying about who wins or loses.

I think Central will be good again with the players you mentioned and Brooklyn Cheek, who is committed to Cal

St. Mary’s, especially their defense/secondary, is going to have it’s hands full dealing with Clovis West before worrying about Central Catholic and/or Manteca.

Just as St. Mary’s is returning a bunch of players from last year’s team, Clovis West is returning their share, as well, especially at WR …

Anticipate a shootout at Sanguinetti Field on Friday, August 18th, 2023 @ 7pm. Our chain gang going to need to bring our track shoes. Lol.

Central Catholic hosts Merced, Manteca travels to Vista del Lago, Monterey Trail hosts Folsom, Oak Ridge hosts Spanish Springs (NV), Grant travels to McQueen (NV), Inderkum hosts Del Oro, Granite Bay hosts Elk Grove, and Rocklin hosts Turlock that same evening. Some good games for the weekly Pick’em.

Serra and DLS each start their season on 8/25.

St. Mary’s, especially their defense/secondary, is going to have it’s hands full dealing with Clovis West before worrying about Central Catholic and/or Manteca.

Just as St. Mary’s is returning a bunch of players from last year’s team, Clovis West is returning their share, as well, especially at WR …

Anticipate a shootout at Sanguinetti Field on Friday, August 18th, 2023 @ 7pm. Our chain gang going to need to bring our track shoes. Lol.

Central Catholic hosts Merced, Manteca travels to Vista del Lago, Monterey Trail hosts Folsom, Oak Ridge hosts Spanish Springs (NV), Grant travels to McQueen (NV), Inderkum hosts Del Oro, Granite Bay hosts Elk Grove, and Rocklin hosts Turlock that same evening. Some good games for the weekly Pick’em.

Serra and DLS each start their season on 8/25.
Great matchups abound! That St. Mary’s vs Clovis West game should be a good one too!

Also Serra and DLS game should be a good one too.

Best time of year!!! Thoughts on SFL this year? Top 4? Can anyone challenge Folsom? Football is coming!
I think the SFL will shake out early, literally week three of the regular season should answer most questions. Most season defining injuries seem to happen early.

Folsom
Oak Ridge/Rocklin
Del Oro
Granite Bay/ Whitney

The Oak Ridge question for me is simply QB. You are either blessed with talent that you decide, ...so late who starts. The alternative is you have a solid Linebacker/ATH converted QB steering the ship behind an incredible line.

Likewise the big question for me with Folsom is can they run the ball between the tackles and defend the box. Sure, they will always put up numbers, as a Dougherty spread and all that D1 recruited talent. Anything less than in SFL title and deep run is an embarassment. That said, respect to Bulldog nation for owning the toughest league in NorCal.

Rocklin, hmm. Aways a tough out and lunch pale mentality, perhaps too blue collar at times. Well coached, technical defense that's carried the team historically. This year feels different. Now a Youngblood qb that can run and sling. A massive line that just entertained some san mateo love. I think they will be a team carried by offense in polar opposite of what we are accustomed to seeing.

More later on DO, GB, and Whitney. For now best of luck to all these kids suiting up Real Soon! Make some memories...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT