ADVERTISEMENT

What Games are you Most Looking Forward to This Weekend?

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Here are my five:

Clovis North at De La Salle: It is rare for the Spartans to face a team ranked higher than them in the state. And I'm still trying to figure out this Spartans team

Pittsburg at Folsom: The Ryder Lyons show continues for another week. Can Pittsburg slow him down? And can the Pirates build off last week's win over San Ramon Valley?

Grant at Rocklin: One of the games I wished we would have seen at some point during the regular season or section playoffs. Rocklin's defense vs. the running attack of Parker and Green should be great

Escalon at Acalanes: Both teams can put up points albeit in different ways and both teams have played challenging schedules.

Casa Roble at Soquel: Two fresh faces for the NorCal games. Casa Roble's offense vs. Soquel's defense will be a fun matchup.

I will Take:

Clovis North over De La Salle 33-22

Folsom over Pittsburgh 31-30

Grant over Rocklin 44-42

Escalon over Acalanes 19-18

Casa Roble over Soquel 15-14

Reactions: THEOC89
Grant @ Rocklin, to me, is the GOTW. Also, IMO, this game should have been already played in the SJS playoffs...but here we are.

Got to go with Grant/Rocklin. It check all the anticipated boxes for me.

-Highest stakes possible who reps NorCal
-Phenomenal athleticism on display
-Fun packed crowd
-Gritty defense
-Splash plays
-Physicality
-Coaching/preparedness
-Swag/Spirited contest
-What could/should have been argument settled in the ring.

My only prediction is a lower scoring game.

Reactions: MC415
Got to go with Grant/Rocklin. It check all the anticipated boxes for me.

-Highest stakes possible who reps NorCal
-Phenomenal athleticism on display
-Fun packed crowd
-Gritty defense
-Splash plays
-Physicality
-Coaching/preparedness
-Swag/Spirited contest
-What could/should have been argument settled in the ring.

My only prediction is a lower scoring game.
Couldn’t agree more. I will be out reporting on this one. If Rocklin keeps it low scoring and physical they will end up winning. They have been so good this year against some great lines but they haven’t faced 2 d1 RB in the same lineup. Those backs are big and powerful too.

Reactions: Santa Ball
Couldn’t agree more. I will be out reporting on this one. If Rocklin keeps it low scoring and physical they will end up winning. They have been so good this year against some great lines but they haven’t faced 2 d1 RB in the same lineup. Those backs are big and powerful too.

Not this season, but last season they faced Blake Nichelson and Bryson Davis on the road in Manteca and barely lost a heartbreaker. Those two guys certainly aren't lesser backs than Parker and Green.

Different season, and not all of Rocklin's players played in that game last year but many of them did. RHS is at home this time and arguably are fielding a stingier defense. Doesn't mean they'll slow or contain these two guys, but they do have some valuable experience against a pair of stud runners and a very good Manteca o-line.

No doubt, massive lines, 2 d1 rbs. Some young man named Lopa...?, really nice looking true freshman Shabazz, the list goes on.

Reactions: WWHS44
Not this season, but last season they faced Blake Nichelson and Bryson Davis on the road in Manteca and barely lost a heartbreaker. Those two guys certainly aren't lesser backs than Parker and Green.

Different season, and not all of Rocklin's players played in that game last year but many of them did. RHS is at home this time and arguably are fielding a stingier defense. Doesn't mean they'll slow or contain these two guys, but they do have some valuable experience against a pair of stud runners and a very good Manteca o-line.
Good points TR, I'm certainly not predicting they will contain those guys, but they won't lack the experience there. In fact, Rocklin has faced many pound it teams this year fairly well and as Doc Holiday said, "I'm your huckleberry" or "that's just my game". Of course, projecting 3rd person omniscient.

I won't project the "awe shucks, ma'am" stick, as I believe Rocklin should win but it's going to take a great game to do it.

Grant over Rocklin 44-42

Anything can happen, of course, but this prediction seems rather bold considering that RHS's defense is only surrendering 14 points per game and has yet to allow 40+ this season.

They've only surrendered 30+ twice and one of those instances was a 3OT game which included a pick 6 against the offense.

Further, GHS only scored 18 and 22 against Oak Ridge and Los Gatos respectively, the best opponents they faced all season.

Clovis North over De La Salle 33-22

Same thing applies here. DLS is only surrending 14.2 per game and has only allowed 30+ once this season and that was against a Trinity league team in week 1.

Add to the equation the Spartans long storied tradition of not allowing 30+ very often. It's only occurred 24x the past 30 years. Only 7 times to NorCal and Central Section competition.

And we all know the Spartans get better as the season goes along. Unless the team is named Centennial-Corona, St. John Bosco, Mater Dei, or Lincoln-San Diego, the Spartans are pretty hard to score upon come November and December.

Again, anything can happen, but the odds sure aren't in your favor here.

To be clear, I'm not at all suggesting that Clovis North and Grant Union can't or won't win these games. I just see the high scoring results as less likely.

Last edited:
Anything can happen, of course, but this prediction seems rather bold considering that RHS's defense is only surrendering 14 points per game and has yet to allow 40+ this season.

They've only surrendered 30+ twice and one of those instances was a 3OT game which included a pick 6 against the offense.

Further, GHS only scored 18 and 22 against Oak Ridge and Los Gatos respectively, the best opponents they faced all season.

Same thing applies here. DLS is only surrending 14.2 per game and has only allowed 30+ once this season and that was against a Trinity league team in week 1.

Add to the equation the Spartans long storied tradition of not allowing 30+ very often. It's only occurred 24x the past 30 years. Only 7 times to NorCal and Central Section competition.

And we all know the Spartans get better as the season goes along. Unless the team is named Centennial-Corona, St. John Bosco, Mater Dei, or Lincoln-San Diego, the Spartans are pretty hard to score upon come November and December.

To be clear, I'm not at all suggesting that Clovis North and Grant Union can't or won't win these games. I just see the high scoring results as less likely.
I think DLS and CN will be like 17-10
And Rocklin vs Grant 21-14. I don’t see either games in the 30’s. With that said, imo rocklin has a more likely chance of winning by a comfortable margin than either DLS or CN in that game.

Grant is playing against Grant this weekend. Stay disciplined, be physical, don't get too fancy on offense, minimize the penalties, stretch the field, and have fun! Easier said than done against a really good team. I believe Grant is up to the challenge and makes a statement. 28-17

De La Salle has played some really good Norcal teams this year. Many of them are still playing. Clovis North will make it interesting but the Spartans are headed to LA next weekend. 31-20

Folsom depends way too much on one person, Ryder Lyons. He is a great athlete tho, who has been dropping some dimes lately and making some highlight plays with his feet all year. The Folsom defense is solid and will make some plays keeping it a close game. Undefeated Pitt frustrated and overlooked this year will be looking for some more R.E.S.P.E.C.T. after taking down a good San Ramon Valley team.
Pitt 23-21

El Cerrito got blasted last year in the regional championship game at home against Grant. They have a lot to prove this year. And so far they are doing a good job at it. Between the two teams, El Cerrito and Los Gatos, they have 3 losses, all at the hands of a team playing this weekend in a Regional championship game. I anticipate this being one of the best games of the weekend with a possible trip to overtime. Los Gatos 36-35

Well since I get no revenue stream, I can predict who I think that will win based on my on self. Cheers

Well since I get no revenue stream, I can predict who I think that will win based on my on self. Cheers

Boldly high scoring predictions, that’s all I was saying. I just found it interesting. You can predict 100-0 if you want.

What a Great slate of games!!…. Super Excited for this weekend…. Luv all the posts!!….

DLS over Clovis North…. Spartans Defense is the difference…. TE has these guys playing so well!!….

PITT Shocks Folsom…. PITT will Bring a Huge Crowd to the Saturday afternoon game and they will win a close one…

Grant Beats Rocklin…. Game of the weekend!!

Escalon out executes Acalanes…. Discipline is the key to beating Acalanes, There may be no better coached or Disciplined team in nor Cal then Escalon….

What a Great slate of games!!…. Super Excited for this weekend…. Luv all the posts!!….

DLS over Clovis North…. Spartans Defense is the difference…. TE has these guys playing so well!!….

PITT Shocks Folsom…. PITT will Bring a Huge Crowd to the Saturday afternoon game and they will win a close one…

Escalon out executes Acalanes…. Discipline is the key to beating Acalanes, There may be no better coached or Disciplined team in nor Cal then Escalon….
People definitely sleeping on Pitt

Acalanes vs Escalon, does discipline outweigh speed? Can’t wait to find out!

Reactions: THEOC89

Yeah, I don't get all of the slobbering over Grant. They largely played a weak schedule and when they did play tougher teams, they either lost or barely scraped by. They just lost to Monterey Trail a few weeks ago (again, people are completely ignoring that), who couldn't even get to the D-I semis and Rocklin beat finalist Oak Ridge.

This doesn't even take into account how many people here have said that Rocklin was the #2 team in the section this year. I personally have them over Pitt, as does @Streak One.

Yes, the Pacers can win, but nothing really points in that direction.

I'm with you on this, too. If you really paid attention to Clovis North's season, you'd clearly notice how they play to the level of their opponents. 15-pt win over 6-5 Visalia Redwood, 7-pt win over 6-6 Clovis West, plus they were up 34-7 against Clovis East in the CS D-I semis only to hold on by 6.

I think this games depends more on DLS than the Broncos. If they shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly like they did against McClymonds, Clovis North will beat them by 10. If they play within themselves and take care of the ball, I think they'll win by 3-7.

Broncos just had too many competitive games against teams not at DLS's caliber to consider them the favorite.

My key games:

Casa Roble at Soquel
Palma at Hughson

- Just mostly local interest, but I do think the CR-Soq game will be good and either will be strong favorites in the final of that division.

Clovis North at DLS
Granite Hills at Mission Viejo

- I look at Clovis North and Granite Hills in a similar light... both had good, but largely local success. Yes the Bronco win over JSerra was nice, but others were head-scratchers. I watched Granite Hills beat Lincoln, but they mostly took advantage of Hornet mistakes, rather than really had control of the game. Also, it may have been the camera angles, but it didn't look like they were particularly fast. What I'm interested in these games is whether either of these programs can really compete in a high-profile showcase game. To me, the Diablos look like they're the class of this division, but we'll see how these two games go.

Portola vs Ferndale (Cal Poly Humboldt)

- More than anything else, I just want to see Ferndale win their elusive state title.

Maybe because they didn't do anything all year to keep people awake until last weekend.
Yeah, their league was bad this year. But Los Gatios, a team they beat, did pretty well in CCS playoffs. And they beat a very good SRV team last week . I'd make Folsom the favorite, but they're gonna have their hands full

I was at the game against Los Gatos, that was a quality game between 2 good teams……I was impressed by both teams in that game, that was a good win for Pitt
Yes, but is Los Gatos at either Folsom's or Rocklin's level?

Yes, I do think Pitt is a good team. I just don't know how good. Perhaps they'll surprise me.

Yes, but is Los Gatos at either Folsom's or Rocklin's level?

Yes, I do think Pitt is a good team. I just don't know how good. Perhaps they'll surprise me.
Probably not, but SRV is IMO. Overtime loss to DLS the first game, 10 point loss the 2nd game

My key games:

Casa Roble at Soquel
Palma at Hughson

- Just mostly local interest, but I do think the CR-Soq game will be good and either will be strong favorites in the final of that division.

Being a CR alum and having attended their games against West Park and Del Oro this season, I’m very interest in this one.

Admittedly, I know very little about Soquel and haven’t seen them play at all this season. It looks like 10 of their games are available on-demand on NFHS so I hope to carve out some time before Friday’s game to check them out.

What’s your take/analysis on them?

Being a CR alum and having attended their games against West Park and Del Oro this season, I’m very interest in this one.

Admittedly, I know very little about Soquel and haven’t seen them play at all this season. It looks like 10 of their games are available on-demand on NFHS so I hope to carve out some time before Friday’s game to check them out.

What’s your take/analysis on them?

Soquel is steady on offense, but not really flashy. They play single-back a lot, but will sometimes go into double-wing for short yardage. They do have some guys who can break loose, but it seems they want to control the clock as much as anything else. Quarterback is young and can make mistakes, but you can tell he has a future. Decent size on the lines.

On defense, the teams that really moved the ball on them (in reality, it was only two: Los Gatos and Salinas) did it with key passes. They move laterally really well and have some quick guys in their front 7. They only gave up more than 20 points those two times all season and note that their league has two teams in NorCal regionals. They're currently riding on two consecutive shutouts and have three overall. The team they beat in the CCS D-II semis was league-mate Monterey, who put up 38 on Sacred Heart Prep in round one before getting shut out in round two.

I saw them against Los Gatos to open the year and they held their own in the first half when the Wildcats tried to 'force their will' on them with the run. It wasn't until they opened up the pass in the 2nd half where they took over.

This is not a large school, but there may have been an exodus of players over the last two years from neighboring Santa Cruz High to this program. The PCAL-Gabilan Division generally has bigger schools who have spent a lot of time in CCS D-I.

Overall, it's been clear that they're a well-coached team. I just wonder whether the coach views this program as a stepping-stone for bigger horizons like others out of the Santa Cruz area or if he really plans on growing something there.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Pitt didn't impress you beating SRV? I'm asking because I think you picked SRV to win

"Maybe because they didn't do anything all year to keep people awake until last weekend."

Soquel is steady on offense, but not really flashy. They play single-back a lot, but will sometimes go into double-wing for short yardage. They do have some guys who can break loose, but it seems they want to control the clock as much as anything else. Quarterback is young and can make mistakes, but you can tell he has a future. Decent size on the lines.

On defense, the teams that really moved the ball on them (in reality, it was only two: Los Gatos and Salinas) did it with key passes. They move laterally really well and have some quick guys in their front 7. They only gave up more than 20 points those two times all season and note that their league has two teams in NorCal regionals. They're currently riding on two consecutive shutouts and have three overall. The team they beat in the CCS D-II semis was league-mate Monterey, who put up 38 on Sacred Heart Prep in round one before getting shut out in round two.

I saw them against Los Gatos to open the year and they held their own in the first half when the Wildcats tried to 'force their will' on them with the run. It wasn't until they opened up the pass in the 2nd half where they took over.

This is not a large school, but there may have been an exodus of players over the last two years from neighboring Santa Cruz High to this program. The PCAL-Gabilan Division generally has bigger schools who have spent a lot of time in CCS D-I.

Overall, it's been clear that they're a well-coached team. I just wonder whether the coach views this program as a stepping-stone for bigger horizons like others out of the Santa Cruz area or if he really plans on growing something there.

Worth noting we didn’t have 6 of our current starters vs LG, 4 vs Salinas. Not an excuse, they beat us fair and square and were missing guys too. But at a small school like Soquel, it’s a bigger impact. And we’re a very young team (12 seniors). We’ve improved a great deal since those games.

We have the best player on the field every game (44). He just doesn’t have the hype like these other guys cuz he doesn’t attend camps and doesn’t have the GPA. 6’4” 230 lb and runs a laser timed 4.6. And he’s an absolute killer. If he was at camps and had the grades, he’d be getting same attention as SRV #23.

As far as Dwight, he could coach anywhere he wants. He’s 100% committed to building this program. The time and work he puts in is insane. He doesn’t have to work, this is all he does aside from his family.

My key games:

Casa Roble at Soquel
Palma at Hughson

Clovis North at DLS
Granite Hills at Mission Viejo

- I look at Clovis North and Granite Hills in a similar light... both had good, but largely local success. Yes the Bronco win over JSerra was nice, but others were head-scratchers. I watched Granite Hills beat Lincoln, but they mostly took advantage of Hornet mistakes, rather than really had control of the game. Also, it may have been the camera angles, but it didn't look like they were particularly fast. What I'm interested in these games is whether either of these programs can really compete in a high-profile showcase game. To me, the Diablos look like they're the class of this division, but we'll see how these two games go.

Portola vs Ferndale (Cal Poly Humboldt)

- More than anything else, I just want to see Ferndale win their elusive state title.
Ferndale was downright incredible until about 10 years ago and still decent here and there until the pandemic. I mean they would schedule McClymonds. I think after their longtime coach retired, St. Bernard’s elevated their program, as well as Eureka (sometimes) and Fortuna (had some great seasons before Covid), and they lost some students to other programs and stopped receiving students from other towns. At one time they were a scaled down version of Oakdale.

Worth noting we didn’t have 6 of our current starters vs LG, 4 vs Salinas. Not an excuse, they beat us fair and square and were missing guys too. But at a small school like Soquel, it’s a bigger impact. And we’re a very young team (12 seniors). We’ve improved a great deal since those games.

We have the best player on the field every game (44). He just doesn’t have the hype like these other guys cuz he doesn’t attend camps and doesn’t have the GPA. 6’4” 230 lb and runs a laser timed 4.6. And he’s an absolute killer. If he was at camps and had the grades, he’d be getting same attention as SRV #23.

As far as Dwight, he could coach anywhere he wants. He’s 100% committed to building this program. The time and work he puts in is insane. He doesn’t have to work, this is all he does aside from his family.
Not to mention 33 who’s a true laser timed 4.4 guy and 10.83 100M.

Acalanes vs Escalon, does discipline outweigh speed? Can’t wait to find out!
And Size Too!… Acalanes is Huge on their lines, they are impressive in person….

The Campo game is what gets me…. Campo is so well coached and Diciplined they were able to Beat Acalanes, Eventhough the eye test of watching the 2 teams play would say Acalanes should win by 2 scores….

I put Escalon in the same tier as Campo as far as coaching…. Let’s not forget that Windsor Played Campo to a 14-14 tie and Escalon beat Windsor and put up over 40 points on the road…..

Acalanes will have their hands full, this is a Terrific Matchup!!!….

And Size Too!… Acalanes is Huge on their lines, they are impressive in person….

The Campo game is what gets me…. Campo is so well coached and Diciplined they were able to Beat Acalanes, Eventhough the eye test of watching the 2 teams play would say Acalanes should win by 2 scores….

I put Escalon in the same tier as Campo as far as coaching…. Let’s not forget that Windsor Played Campo to a 14-14 tie and Escalon beat Windsor and put up over 40 points on the road…..

Acalanes will have their hands full, this is a Terrific Matchup!!!….
Neither team played Windsor when they had one of the best WRs in Nor Cal to be fair

Neither team played Windsor when they had one of the best WRs in Nor Cal to be fair
Correct!…. Thats why it’s Apples to Apples…. Campo and Escalon played the same Windsor team and Ecalon beat them and Campo tied….

At Full Strength, Windsor likely wins both those games….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT