ADVERTISEMENT

What Games are you Most Looking Forward to This Weekend?

Mccord was probably the most underrated player in Gab this year.
Ya, we’ve played w/ a conservative approach most of the year because our defense is so dynamic. But he has world class speed and agility. He’d prob have 25+ TD’s is we were chasing points this season.

SV vs PA …. School of 200 playing against 2,000 and beating them! Hats off to Herzog and the young men!!!
Oh enrollment matters but SV has players have a huge population base, Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Novato, Vallejo, even. PA is still a public and I’m sure their boundaries are full of Serra Padres now. Private to public is apples to bananas, even private to private. Still congrats to SV, they are the best team in the city of Petaluma and have had to overcome plenty of turmoil at their school this year. The future will be interesting as an independent school with no diocese backing.

What I dislike is the other way around. When a large public gets rewarded in a competitive equity scenario against a small town public. That’s flat out rewarding mediocrity and punishing excellence in the smaller school. Case in point Ferndale (150) vs Fairfax (1700) what is that! Lincoln SF vs Fairfax not possible? Hope the diary boys from Ferndale roll the city boys of West Hollywood. Memorable trip though I will admit.

Last edited:
Reactions: M.C. fan
Oh enrollment matters but SV has players have a huge population base, Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Novato, Vallejo, even. PA is still a public and I’m sure their boundaries are full of Serra Padres now. Private to public is apples to bananas, even private to private. Still congrats to SV, they are the best team in the city of Petaluma and have had to overcome plenty of turmoil at their school this year. The future will be interesting as an independent school with no diocese backing.

What I dislike is the other way around. When a large public gets rewarded in a competitive equity scenario against a small town public. That’s flat out rewarding mediocrity and punishing excellence in the smaller school. Case in point Ferndale (150) vs Fairfax (1700) what is that! Lincoln SF vs Fairfax not possible? Hope the diary boys from Ferndale roll the city boys of West Hollywood. Memorable trip though I will admit.
Do you actually know the radius of St. Vincent's enrollment? Or are you trying to apply the Public school radius limitations to the Private school potential of unlimited area? The only truly fair way to compare PA to SV enrollment area is to have a enrollment assessment done on both schools. Privates potentially have an unlimited area radius of enrollment. But in reality, the density enrollment area map is the best criteria for comparison. You likely will find Publics having the advantage for area density representation.

Do you actually know the radius of St. Vincent's enrollment? Or are you trying to apply the Public school radius limitations to the Private school potential of unlimited area? The only truly fair way to compare PA to SV enrollment area is to have an enrollment assessment done on both schools. Privates potentially have an unlimited area radius of enrollment. But in reality, the density enrollment area map is the best criteria for comparison. You likely will find Publics having the advantage for area density representation.
I think public’s will have the density representation advantage of course. I don’t see how that would strengthen your position, though. It just takes a few athletes to boost an athletic program. Density be damned. SVHS has a sophomore RB, a transfer from Cloverdale and a Jr WE from Vallejo. Those towns are 75mi apart. Now not as dense as the inner Bay Area but not desolate either. Huge region to draw from and the past president of the school put emphasis on recruiting students from Santa Rosa (Cardinal Newman territory).

The most geographically gifted of them all is DLS, Richmond to Discovery Bay is 54mi and has exploded in population growth the last 30 years especially East CoCo county.

Serra is #2 they can draw from Excelsior/HP down to Mountain View or beyond. There are many private schools to compete with in the region, though.

Clayton Valley Charter is public #1 with is proximity to Pittsburg and its status as a charter that is open to inter district students.

Pittsburg is no slouch either with its huge population and other cities in close proximity although people would be surprised when researching the school demographics, though football is king though regardless.

I think public’s will have the density representation advantage of course. I don’t see how that would strengthen your position, though. It just takes a few athletes to boost an athletic program. Density be damned. SVHS has a sophomore RB, a transfer from Cloverdale and a Jr WE from Vallejo. Those towns are 75mi apart. Now not as dense as the inner Bay Area but not desolate either. Huge region to draw from and the past president of the school put emphasis on recruiting students from Santa Rosa (Cardinal Newman territory).
You are bypassing my point - you emphasize the outliers as if they are the standard vs the exception. I haven't taken the time to verify if the previous Coverdale player is still living in the Cloverdale or living closer to Petaluma this year. Really your argument only works if they still live in Cloverdale and are committing the 1.5 hours each way every day to St. Vincent's. Otherwise if they have moved closer to or into Petaluma, this amounts to the same as moving to Petaluma and forced to attend the local district high school.

There is no doubt that the potential area is greater for privates but one should dig deeper at the specifics to see if this potential is actually exercised. It is easy to point to a couple examples to suggest the practice is commonly exercised.

In this argument, I am bypassing the practice of the Southern Section which allows out-of-the area students to play sports at a private schools without going though the transfer eligibility used in the NCS section and CCS section.

Fairfax on Melrose not quite the picturesque Northern Coast of Beautiful Ferndale.

I will Take:

Clovis North over De La Salle 33-22

Folsom over Pittsburgh 31-30

Grant over Rocklin 44-42

Escalon over Acalanes 19-18

Casa Roble over Soquel 15-14
Its always fun to look at predictions after the fact and make fun of the "outlandish" predictions. But it truth, it is bold to make pregame predictions (which I do all the time) and see what happens afterwards. So here are the after-game farcical.

Did the Clovis JV squad have to make the trip to Concord because the Varsity squad had a more important engagement? DLS 41-0

Maybe the Escalon cougars thought all Bay Area teams were all fur ball kittens. Acalanes 49-14

What do the coastal Soquel beach bums, who have never shown any FB prowess in the recent past, have to beat the mighty Sacramento area Oak House? Soquel 42-14

Okay, maybe the pacers remember their 2008 roots! Grant 41-14.

And Who Let the Dogs Out - the bulldogs can protect the Folsom heritage from the Pirates. Folsom 28-25.

Hope this silly post does not offend! Predictions are fun and I like them and try my best to be accurate. But many times, my effort is greatly misplaced.

SV has always gotten students from Santa Rosa. More of them have been athletes lately, but its not much different than the past 40 years for SV. Primary feeders have always been SV elementary, and our Lady of Loretto with a split between Marin Catholic and San Marin for those kids. But it’s not unheard of them having kids from San Rafael, Larkspur, Sonoma.

Herzog has built around a lot of legacies (Antonini, Davis, DeCarli etc.) second and third generation SV families. And another big thing is transfers, as in transferring out. Over the years SV has lost a lot more impact transfers going out (Porchivina, Porteous recently off the top of my head). than have come in.

Daly did prioritize athletics. Be interesting to see what happens next with the move away from the Diocese. The transitional Board of Directors has already been named and has met twice already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT