ADVERTISEMENT

SJS 2023

Huge game Friday in el dorado hills as Rocklin and OR battle for 2nd place in SFL. The winner will likely get #2 seed in d1 and d2. Loser could drop to #3 in their respective divisions.

Would a 9-1 Jesuit (delta league champs) move past rocklin if they lose? Not sure.
But if OR loses I could seee 8-2 central Catholic getting #2 in d1.
I doubt Rocklin slides down to #3 seed with loss to OR. Similarly, a GB loss to Folsom is not going to effect their current #5 seeding. I agree that if OR loses they could lose the #2 seed to CC.

I strongly believe the top 9 seedings in SJS D2 were locked in after Jesuits victory yesterday vs EG …

1. St Mary’s
2. Rocklin
3. Jesuit
4. Manteca
5. Granite Bay
6. Del Oro
7. Tracy
8. Downey
9. Elk Grove

Looks like a couple of rematches coming in the 2nd round: Rocklin vs Tracy and Manteca vs Granite Bay. But, of course, this projection is unofficial. Still have one more week of regular season and always tough to read the minds of the SJS playoff committee. Lol

Reactions: FBAddict
Huge game Friday in el dorado hills as Rocklin and OR battle for 2nd place in SFL. The winner will likely get #2 seed in d1 and d2. Loser could drop to #3 in their respective divisions.

Would a 9-1 Jesuit (delta league champs) move past rocklin if they lose? Not sure.
But if OR loses I could seee 8-2 central Catholic getting #2 in d1.
Thoughts/Predictions on the OR Rocklin game? Should be a fun one.

Toss up to me. I think it will come down to wire.
OR is really good against the run and is very good at running the ball behind their line. It sounded like GB had more success against Rocklin running the ball then they did against OR. I would challenge OR secondary. That is where Rocklin has an advantage.
Should be a great game like you said. I’m going to say something like 24-21 will be the score.
Two very good teams. I can’t wait.

Agree! This game is a toss-up, as well. I believe if Rocklin avoids mistakes that they have a good chance to win this game.

Should Rocklin win, do they move up to #1 seed matching same W/L record as St. Mary’s and overall higher SOS? Rocklin’s lone loss is vs Folsom. St. Mary’s lone loss is vs DLS. Common opponents are Manteca and Tracy. In both matchups both teams dominated. The final score of Rocklin vs Tracy is misleading as Rocklin I believe had a 28-0 lead before letting Tracy back into the game. St. Mary’s was down 0-7 before unleashing 6 TDs to go up 42-7 before the 2nd string D gave up another Tracy score. Prior to league play, St. Mary’s had the higher SOS and ranking despite loss to DLS. St. Mary’s has breezed thru league competition, averaging 52 pts vs 5 pts vs league opponents.

My analysis says the Rams stay at #1 seed and Rocklin stays at #2 seed win or lose to OR. Much also due to how the playoff opponents align with Downey and Manteca in SJS South on the same side of the bracket as St. Mary’s (less travel for these opposing teams).

Toss up to me. I think it will come down to wire.
OR is really good against the run and is very good at running the ball behind their line. It sounded like GB had more success against Rocklin running the ball then they did against OR. I would challenge OR secondary. That is where Rocklin has an advantage.
Should be a great game like you said. I’m going to say something like 24-21 will be the score.
Two very good teams. I can’t wait.
LARRY GREAT TAKE.

This game is going to be fun. Gaps tighten near the end of the season, lol, perhaps I'm just diluting myself after that GB game, triple overtime and GB gave Rocklin everything they could take. Impressive GB team.

Moving now to the OR matchup. This one is for more than just second place, both teams 8-1 and earned it every step of the way. This is for pride and momentum for playoffs.

I see Rocklin with success in the Air, and struggling on the ground. The great wall of El Dorado is real. Tbh, Rocklins line play has really taken a step backwards. I think if OR makes Rocklin one dimensional they lose this one big.

Special teams is still a work in progress so I don't see Rocklin winning that aspect of the game and and an unbalanced offense where that Rocklin defense is out there all day will spell curtains for thunder.

On the flip side, if Rocklin can stay balanced on offense, find creative ways to run wide zone/or beef then this will be a dogfight that Rocklin would love to see. Sloan has some magic In him and he is the thunder to that storm coming Friday Larry! He needs another stellar game, and anyone not named Correa needs to ignite the WR Corp.

Sloan Magic

Last edited:
Reactions: larry legend33
Agree! This game is a toss-up, as well. I believe if Rocklin avoids mistakes that they have a good chance to win this game.

Should Rocklin win, do they move up to #1 seed matching same W/L record as St. Mary’s and overall higher SOS? Rocklin’s lone loss is vs Folsom. St. Mary’s lone loss is vs DLS. Common opponents are Manteca and Tracy. In both matchups both teams dominated. The final score of Rocklin vs Tracy is misleading as Rocklin I believe had a 28-0 lead before letting Tracy back into the game. St. Mary’s was down 0-7 before unleashing 6 TDs to go up 42-7 before the 2nd string D gave up another Tracy score. Prior to league play, St. Mary’s had the higher SOS and ranking despite loss to DLS. St. Mary’s has breezed thru league competition, averaging 52 pts vs 5 pts vs league opponents.

My analysis says the Rams stay at #1 seed and Rocklin stays at #2 seed win or lose to OR. Much also due to how the playoff opponents align with Downey and Manteca in SJS South on the same side of the bracket as St. Mary’s (less travel for these opposing teams).
Agreed, I think St Mary's is #1, and deserves that. The Rocklin/OR game is inconsequential to D2 seeding forecast IMO.

LARRY GREAT TAKE.

This game is going to be fun. Gaps tighten near the end of the season, lol, perhaps I'm just diluting myself after that GB game, triple overtime and GB gave Rocklin everything they could take. Impressive GB team.

Moving now to the OR matchup. This one is for more than just second place, both teams 8-1 and earned it every step of the way. This is for pride and momentum for playoffs.

I see Rocklin with success in the Air, and struggling on the ground. The great wall of El Dorado is real. Tbh, Rocklins line play has really taken a step backwards. I think if OR makes Rocklin one dimensional they lose this one big.

Special teams is still a work in progress so I don't see Rocklin winning that aspect of the game and and an unbalanced offense where that Rocklin defense is out there all day will spell curtains for thunder.

On the flip side, if Rocklin can stay balanced on offense, find creative ways to run wide zone/or beef then this will be a dogfight that Rocklin would love to see. Sloan has some magic In him and he is the thunder to that storm coming Friday Larry! He needs another stellar game, and anyone not named Correa needs to ignite the WR Corp.

Sloan Magic
Santa.. good recap. I also agree on st Mary’s as #1. Heck they might be #1 in D1 this year.

OR for whatever reason still likes to pass the ball this year and it baffles me because they really struggle in that area. When they run behind that line it’s almost impossible to stop them from chewing yards. Even the 14 they gave up on GB only one was an offensive TD. The other was a pick. If OR throws the ball a lot you guys will feast on it. If they run and stay physical OR will win. Special teams have been pretty solid for OR. Anderson their speedy WR is very fast. Be careful kicking to him. Their kicker is good and often pins teams deep.

Should be fun!

Santa.. good recap. I also agree on st Mary’s as #1. Heck they might be #1 in D1 this year.

OR for whatever reason still likes to pass the ball this year and it baffles me because they really struggle in that area. When they run behind that line it’s almost impossible to stop them from chewing yards. Even the 14 they gave up on GB only one was an offensive TD. The other was a pick. If OR throws the ball a lot you guys will feast on it. If they run and stay physical OR will win. Special teams have been pretty solid for OR. Anderson their speedy WR is very fast. Be careful kicking to him. Their kicker is good and often pins teams deep.

Should be fun!
Lol, I'm not laughing at you just the kicking reference. I don't know that Rocklin even knows where the ball will go after the kicks.

• Haha
Oak Ridge vs Rocklin should be a good game. It’s one of those games where you don’t want any injuries heading in to the playoffs.

The SJS D2 playoffs should be a good field. I’d be surprised if we didn’t see a repeat of Folsom and OR in the D1 finals. I think Folsom might be too much for the D1 field.

Agree. I think we will see OR and Folsom in finals and I would expect a close game. (Similar to last year). Monterey Trail and Central Catholic will have something to say about it though.
SJS D2 is arguably better than D1. Its loaded.

Reactions: BigMann08
For D2, Manteca with Bryson Davis is going to be a different team. Other teams that have faced them earlier in the season should beware, including St. Mary’s, Granite Bay, and Rocklin.
IMHO, Jesuit is the sleeper in D2. They are good! But, uncertain how good since they have not faced the same level of competition as some of these other teams in D2. I’m anticipating a St. Mary’s vs Rocklin section championship game. But, wouldn’t be surprised if either team falls in the semifinals. Both should get thru 2nd round (quarterfinals) quite easily (vs Downey/ElkGrove, Tracy, respectively), but let’s not forget St. Mary’s shocking loss to Turlock last year in D1.

St. Mary’s vs Rocklin will be a very good matchup! Both have a balanced offense and may give the edge to St. Mary’s for their offense, being a bit more explosive (except vs DLS). Both teams run a similar short yardage offense. Will be interesting to see how successful it is against each other. I will give the edge to defense for Rocklin, having faced tougher league opponents, but St. Mary’s defense is much better than start of season, especially with addition of transfer CB, Adam Taylor, who is putting on a show. Rams D Achilles Heal early on was the deep pass, but I think this is no longer much concern with the addition of Taylor. Rams run D is pretty sound. Hoping this is the championship game matchup! GO RAMS!!!

Seeing on a Twitter post by black hat football that Tracy might have to forfeit some of there wins due to eligibility. Anyone know any info on this? Would have an impact on multiple brackets if true.

• Wow
Reactions: bulldogmgc

So does this mean that Tracy is really not impacted in regards to ratings and will still be considered the number 7 seed? Seems like it. If anything it impacts other teams making or missing the playoffs. Tracy will still finish 2nd in TCAL league play, only losing to St. Mary’s. Even if they were to drop in seeding, it would mean just not hosting a game and instead potentially providing a tougher matchup to whoever is seeded above them to have to play.

IMO, they should remain the #7 seed, but at least not drop below the 10th seed. For example, if they were to get the 11th seed, (and Elk Grove, Downey, Vacaville, and Laguna Creek all move up) Tracy would play the #6 seed (ie. Del Oro) when the #6 seed would have been playing Laguna Creek, instead, a much easier opponent. What a potential mess!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT