ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight's Playoff scores

Wow - Marin Catholic takes down Rancho 7-2. That's going to help my prediction score!

Also, Moreau took the lead over San Marin, 33-28

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Cal scored to make it 35-34 and went for 2. Missed.

Moreau now up 49-35 with 6 minutes left.

It’s probably simple. The team’s goal is to win a state championship, and the coin flip is the only possible way to attain that.

This is a special newman team. Think about how dominate they have been. Everybody who saw that Liberty game said the difference was minimal and we all know how good Liberty is. Might as well take the chance to play for it all.

This is a special newman team. Think about how dominate they have been. Everybody who saw that Liberty game said the difference was minimal and we all know how good Liberty is. Might as well take the chance to play for it all.
Was it you who said RC would win D2 by an average of 28pts? I forget. Just asking.

Any thoughts on Cardinal Newman opting for the coin flip?

Cardinal Newman"s goal from Day 1 was to win the state title. They have played in 3 straight NCS championship games. This would have been the seniors 4th straight. The ONLY chance to win state is to coin flip....

Regardless of what happens with the coin flip this is 100% on Gil Lemon and the NCS committee that decided on the coin flip scenario. You can guarantee that if DLS & Liberty had to coin flip they would have figured out how to play the games.

COMPLETE fail as commissioner for Gil lemon.

CN has running clocked EVERY team they have played this season except Liberty. And that includes a running clock on the Utah state champ. Coach Cronin told me this is the best CN team he's ever had. The coin flip is ridiculous...and quite frankly whoever wins(the coin flip) the other side has a LEGIT gripe and is getting hosed. BOTH teams deserve the chance to play on. Its a FU**ED UP situation....

AGAIN....COMPLETE fail by Lemon...he needs to go...retire already..

Cardinal Newman"s goal from Day 1 was to win the state title. They have played in 3 straight NCS championship games. This would have been the seniors 4th straight. The ONLY chance to win state is to coin flip....

Regardless of what happens with the coin flip this is 100% on Gil Lemon and the NCS committee that decided on the coin flip scenario. You can guarantee that if DLS & Liberty had to coin flip they would have figured out how to play the games.

COMPLETE fail as commissioner for Gil lemon.

CN has running clocked EVERY team they have played this season except Liberty. And that includes a running clock on the Utah state champ. Coach Cronin told me this is the best CN team he's ever had. The coin flip is ridiculous...and quite frankly whoever wins(the coin flip) the other side has a LEGIT gripe and is getting hosed. BOTH teams deserve the chance to play on. Its a FU**ED UP situation....

AGAIN....COMPLETE fail by Lemon...he needs to go...retire already..

Agree on this being an issue made worse by the NCS. And i understand CN"s desire to play for a state title. That is the one thing that has eluded this program

(That's quite a claim by Coach Cronin. I always thought the team with Randy Wright was the best group I saw, but I defer to Coach).

The coin flip solution is just plain stupid. Everyone in this thread knows that.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Why wasn't this situation treated the same as selecting teams for State back when they only had 5 games? The CIF selected the section winners they felt were the best teams or the best matchup for their SoCal opponent.

I get that there's no section winner in this scenario. But why can they just advance the team they feel is the better team or has the more impressive resume? While feelings would be hurt, the NCS committee has a better idea which team is better than the coin does.

CN's SoS is superior to Eureka and Los Lomas and is currently rated much higher than both. They should get selected on that basis. All the flip does is add handicap points to the inferior teams and allows a strong possibility for NorCal to be misrepresented.

Agree on this being an issue made worse by the NCS. And i understand CN"s desire to play for a state title. That is the one thing that has eluded this program

(That's quite a claim by Coach Cronin. I always thought the team with Randy Wright was the best group I saw, but I defer to Coach).

Streak, the team with Wright was excellent and as you probably know he went on to UCD and had a great career as there QB. I think Pavitt who is only a Jr could be even more special though. He has good size and is really athletic. His ability to run sets him apart from a lot of other QB's. Look for his status to take a leap on the recruiting radar. This years Newman team will graduate probably one of the best HS players to ever play in the redwood empire (at the HS level) over the past 25 years in Dino Kahueleu. He's a rare 4 year starter who goes both ways and dominates wherever he is asked to play. Undersized at 6"0 240 but so where guys Ben Burr Kirvan and Scooby wright. I can't think of another player who I would want to anchor my team than him. This year team also has 2 legit college wide receivers in Woods and Leberthon.

People often underestimate how good of a program Cronin runs and the talent he develops. I mean, Jordon Brookshire who was running show at Newman a few years back is playing for JC state champ at Laney and was just MVP of the North. This years team would win both D3, D2, and D1 in NCS this year. No doubt and should be ranked higher in the NCP.

Lets hope its a two sided heads coin and newman call the right side......

BTW, Rancho stud JR QB Stocker was hurt against Marin Catholic. I was wondering what was up. Nothing against MC but a healthy Stocker and that game is different.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/9019862-181/newman-rolls-to-win-awaits

Reactions: Streak One
Would be totally shocked if Newman loses the coin toss!!!;);) LOL
And yes Thunder!! No running clock vs Sutter. If that means anything.

BOD takes down Campo. Sets up the all Catholic Division 2 final, presuming both really did say they wanted to play for an NCS title and not do the coin flip.

BOD takes down Campo. Sets up the all Catholic Division 2 final, presuming both really did say they wanted to play for an NCS title and not do the coin flip.
Any idea where and when? I am guessing DVC on Saturday.

Streak, the team with Wright was excellent and as you probably know he went on to UCD and had a great career as there QB. I think Pavitt who is only a Jr could be even more special though. He has good size and is really athletic. His ability to run sets him apart from a lot of other QB's. Look for his status to take a leap on the recruiting radar. This years Newman team will graduate probably one of the best HS players to ever play in the redwood empire (at the HS level) over the past 25 years in Dino Kahueleu. He's a rare 4 year starter who goes both ways and dominates wherever he is asked to play. Undersized at 6"0 240 but so where guys Ben Burr Kirvan and Scooby wright. I can't think of another player who I would want to anchor my team than him. This year team also has 2 legit college wide receivers in Woods and Leberthon.

People often underestimate how good of a program Cronin runs and the talent he develops. I mean, Jordon Brookshire who was running show at Newman a few years back is playing for JC state champ at Laney and was just MVP of the North. This years team would win both D3, D2, and D1 in NCS this year. No doubt and should be ranked higher in the NCP.

Lets hope its a two sided heads coin and newman call the right side......

BTW, Rancho stud JR QB Stocker was hurt against Marin Catholic. I was wondering what was up. Nothing against MC but a healthy Stocker and that game is different.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/9019862-181/newman-rolls-to-win-awaits
That game would not have been much different. If anything MC would have opened up their playbook if they had needed to. RC couldn't run it out of spread and no one was open. I don't care who was throwing it. #88 had perfect balls thrown to him all night - not open. They ran their screen game - nothing.

And I think anointing CN the would be champ of all divisions is ridiculous. You said RC would win D2 by an average of 28pts - did they? No offense to you, but its why the play the games. Good luck on the coin flip!

Last edited:
That game would not have been much different. If anything MC would have opened up their playbook if they had needed to. RC couldn't run it out of spread and no one was open. I don't care who was throwing it. #88 had perfect balls thrown to him all night - not open. They ran their screen game - nothing.

And I think anointing CN the would be champ of all divisions is ridiculous. You said RC would win D2 by an average of 28pts - did they? No offense to you, but its why the play the games. Good luck on the coin flip!

MC coach Moyad even admitted, "they got away with one'" refering to RC's qb out for the game. It's unrealistic to think the game wouldn't be different with the starting qb in. I think with 7 points on the board, MC wasn't just running the clock down thinking thats all they needed for the win. Duh.

Eureka beats Las Lomas 21-0. Hope the Eureka coaches are already on the road driving down to San Ramon for tomorrow morning's coin flip...

Still undefeated Eureka High lost five fumbles before halftime and still shut out previously undefeated Las Lomas 21-0 tonight. If Cardinal Newman wants to flip a coin instead of proving it's the best team in the section at the D-III level they're a bunch of, uh, well...

Eureka High wants to play for a section title not flip a coin.

Reactions: 121wayz
Anyone have Sat. CCS playoff scores of games in progress......

TKA 35 - Carmel 14 early in the 4th with 7 to play...TKA absolutely bullying Carmel. Lucky for it to be this close

Burlingame 38 - Carlmont Goose Egg Final...Carlmont never crossed the 50...yard line or yards of offense that is

Saint Francis 17 - Valley Christian 17 with 4 mins to play

Aptos 35 - Sacred Heart Prep 34....Final...Aptos scored with a minute to play and went for two giving them the win

Reactions: NorCalwatch
14-3, San Ramon

Thanks. So D1 final is SRV vs Freedom. Cal beat both of them but that missed 2 point conversion last night was more important than either of those games. Should be a good final - better than a coin flip. :cool:

With Fortuna up 30-6 on Del Norte late, it's looking like the NCS finals would be:

Open - DLS over Liberty (both go on to bowl games)
D1 - SRV vs. Freedom
D2 - BOD vs. Marin Catholic
D3 - Cardinal Newman vs. Eureka
D4 - Moreau Catholic vs. Fortuna
D5 - McKinleyville vs. Salesian

From all indications, all but D3 will be played out. Let me start by saying that I blame Lemmon and the NCS for the mess that this has become, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm rooting like hell for Eureka to win that coin toss and then to go on and win their bowl game and state, because they went undefeated and all anybody seems to give a crap about is making sure Cardinal Newman gets a chance to go to state and completely dismisses the Loggers.

With Fortuna up 30-6 on Del Norte late, it's looking like the NCS finals would be:

Open - DLS over Liberty (both go on to bowl games)
D1 - SRV vs. Freedom
D2 - BOD vs. Marin Catholic
D3 - Cardinal Newman vs. Eureka
D4 - Moreau Catholic vs. Fortuna
D5 - McKinleyville vs. Salesian

From all indications, all but D3 will be played out. Let me start by saying that I blame Lemmon and the NCS for the mess that this has become, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm rooting like hell for Eureka to win that coin toss and then to go on and win their bowl game and state, because they went undefeated and all anybody seems to give a crap about is making sure Cardinal Newman gets a chance to go to state and completely dismisses the Loggers.

Yeah, really sucks to have an undefeated team’s fate in the hands of a coin flip against their wishes. Settle it on the field.

Eureka High is 23-1 over the last two seasons with a lone loss on a last second FG at Rancho Cotate in last year's NCS playoffs (after EHS blocked a FG on third down that RC recovered and the refs essentially gave RC an unoffical timeout RC didn't have by keeping the clock dead long enough for them to line up well in advance of the clock starting for a fourth down FG attempt, for what it's worth). They've been dominant all season working toward an NCS title, yet the section is essentially letting CN choose what it wants. They should only coin flip if BOTH finalists want a coin flip. If not, play for a section title. EHS doesn't get an influx of its (smaller) area's best athletes like a CN. It has a team like this come through every 5-10 years. Yet it could get no section title game, no regional bowl game, nothing. Hell, at least call the coin flip loser the section champ.

This coin flip/no NCS champ resolution is a farce.

MC coach Moyad even admitted, "they got away with one'" refering to RC's qb out for the game. It's unrealistic to think the game wouldn't be different with the starting qb in. I think with 7 points on the board, MC wasn't just running the clock down thinking thats all they needed for the win. Duh.
Yeah "we got away with one" is why MC has gone to 8 straight finals and RC has never been to one. Wake up.

And "duh" is when you go shooting off that your team is gonna go dominate D2.

Its BOD and MC's world now - rivalry continues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1tunz1
Yeah "we got away with one" is why MC has gone to 8 straight finals and RC has never been to one. Wake up.

And "duh" is when you go shooting off that your team is gonna go dominate D2.

Its BOD and MC's world now - rivalry continues.
Rc is not my team. But they did play in a section final a few years ago, against concord. You got the wrong person about the domination comment. I have a lot of respect for coach moyad and the mc program, just not for the senior’s dads who come out boasting of a 1td performance. But this game against rc will have an asterisk due to the starting qb out. Your coach ( being humble), said it, not me. Good luck against bod.

But this game against rc will have an asterisk due to the starting qb out.

I’ll keep my eye out form that asterisk but like Bigfoot I doubt it will ever show. For what it’s worth coaches players etc say things about opponents after victory that are many times exaggerated compliments. MC will be moving on on while RC get a compliment and a asterisk to cling to. I guess it’s a fair trade.

Gil Lemmon is a joke who really only seems to care about making sure kids don’t transfer and when they do punishing them to the harshest extent of the rule/law. The guy is a clown has no business deciding or being given the power to decide these games, kids futures etc. This coin flip BS is something 8 year olds do to decide who goes first etc. If Cardinal Newman doesn’t want to play then great decision is easy they lose. Eureka moves on Newman goes home. Of course to make a call like this would take a leader with balls something Lemmon clearly doesn’t have.

Gil Lemmon is a joke who really only seems to care about making sure kids don’t transfer and when they do punishing them to the harshest extent of the rule/law. The guy is a clown has no business deciding or being given the power to decide these games, kids futures etc. This coin flip BS is something 8 year olds do to decide who goes first etc. If Cardinal Newman doesn’t want to play then great decision is easy they lose. Eureka moves on Newman goes home. Of course to make a call like this would take a leader with balls something Lemmon clearly doesn’t have.

If what @SearsPoints just posted is true, that's exactly what happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT