ADVERTISEMENT

Top 20 NorCal teams

almost no conditioning knowledge
hahaha dude you are the most out of shape "trainer" I've ever seen. Have you met AM's strength and conditioning coach??? He would fold you like a chair. I think he has a clue about fitness

Last edited:
1.Pinewood
2.Salesian
3.Mitty
4.SMS
5.C-LET
6.Heritage
7.Miramonte
8.Bear Creek
9.BOD
10.Antelope
11.McClatchy
12.CN
13.SHC
14.Folsom
15.Sac
16.ESCP
17.SJDN ( fell from #7)
18.Presentation
19..St. Francis
20.St. Ignatius

Just a quick preseason speculation without a whole lot of research. Clovis West is in the South right? I had to drop SJND after rumor of injuries to a couple key players.

Last edited:
Same drum ....until we have a coaching change:)
My plan is to outlive them all:(
My daughter worked at Clet in the administration last year.....the whole bunch is terrible at communication and follow through...It doesn't surprise me they cant get things done the right way.....
So now we have another bunch on my list....just so you think... I don't bust just one person....the members of clubs I have worked at have told me...."I liked it better when I wasn't your friend and didn't speak to me....now you won't leave me alone!!!....telling me what to do all the time!!!!"

Mitty...Clearcut favorite? I disagree...
I'm not sure they are even the best team in their section.
I think Mitty with Haley Jones can beat many top schools in the country. Mitty without Haley Jones is very beatable by many NorCal schools. This will be the last year for Mittys great run of the last three years. Lack of good point guard will be tough for Mitty this year.

After jan 1st, they will be starting the #1 rated player in the nation, a senior d1 mid major type player, and 3 mid-high (leaning towards high) major D1 sophmores. Even Pinewood isnt starting 5 d1 players.

Reactions: Ekko553
After jan 1st, they will be starting the #1 rated player in the nation, a senior d1 mid major type player, and 3 mid-high (leaning towards high) major D1 sophmores. Even Pinewood isnt starting 5 d1 players.

They were better the last 2 yrs and couldn't win...

And the sophomores?
Hernandez is good I'll give you that...
but the other 2?
the one from ESP is a defensive liability and the kid from PW couldn't get off the bench and there is no doubt if she was good enough she would have played (the PW coaches aren't stupid).
So to say the 2 soph transfers are mid high D1 is a stretch. The Mitty hype machine is in full force on these 2.

From what Ive seen Sue has had better teams than this and found a way to lose the big games...

Mitty has question marks

Last edited:

And the sophomores?
but the other 2?
the one from ESP is a defensive liability and the kid from PW couldn't get off the bench and there is no doubt if she was good enough she would have played (the PW coaches aren't stupid).
So to say the 2 soph transfers are mid high D1 is a stretch. The Mitty hype machine is in full force on these 2.

From what Ive seen Sue has had better teams than this and found a way to lose the big games...

Mitty has question marks

Not to mention Pinewood returns just about everyone off a confident Open Division championship runner up team that has some un finished business of their own to complete. Doc is good enough to plug in another good point guard. So I personally give them a slight edge over Mitty. I actually think Salesian will also be in that top 3 tier with Mitty and Pinewood. It should be pretty wide open this season. Obviously the top 8-10 will be on a higher level than the rest as usual. But it's not always easy to pre season pick who that top 8-10 will shake out to be at season's end.

Last edited:
Reactions: northbaybbguru
I think the team people are sleeping on is Salesian, which has a P5 post and three returning senior wing players. To me, Salesian, Pinewood, Mitty and SMS all seem capable of winning the NorCal Open title, and I'm not sure there's a favorite.

My other sleeper team? San Ramon Valley.

Reactions: Paytc and LBJ6
Carondelet is an independent and so is Miramonte. Since BOD has won 100 straight league games, it would seem to make sense for them to do so as well.

The situations vary, though. SMS is independent too but I think they are guaranteed a berth as a league titlist -- as is Carondelet. I know Carondelet plays every EBAL team once as part of the deal, but I don't know about SMS.

Miramonte does not get an automatic berth and there are no requirements for DAL teams to play them.

Reactions: observer22

And the sophomores?
but the other 2?

Mitty has question marks

for someone not tied to pinewood you have a lot of info, please share...as with all the other teams give us the skinny.....your views are interesting

I think the team people are sleeping on is Salesian, which has a P5 post and three returning senior wing players. To me, Salesian, Pinewood, Mitty and SMS all seem capable of winning the NorCal Open title, and I'm not sure there's a favorite.

San Ramon valley does have a really good point guard who I think will be a junior or senior this season. They had a few good players, so I wouldn't doubt they will be a force the next couple of seasons. I have Salesian as my preseason #2 pick behind only Pinewood. So I'm definitely not sleeping on Salesian. They also play Pinewood pretty well.

Last edited:
Carondelet is an independent and so is Miramonte. Since BOD has won 100 straight league games, it would seem to make sense for them to do so as well.

The situations vary, though. SMS is independent too but I think they are guaranteed a berth as a league titlist -- as is Carondelet. I know Carondelet plays every EBAL team once as part of the deal, but I don't know about SMS.

Miramonte does not get an automatic berth and there are no requirements for DAL teams to play them.

WOW!!!:eek:

100 league games in a row for BOD? that's impressive...

and I thought CN's current 73 game league winning streak was a good stat..lol

Dang...CN has to go 2 more yrs of undefeated to match that.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevchoice
San Ramon valley does have a really good point guard who I think will be a junior or senior this season. They had a few good players, so I wouldn't doubt they will be a force the next couple of seasonns. I have Salesian as my preseason #2 pick behind only Pinewood. So I'm definitely not sleeping on Salesian. They also play Pinewood pretty well.
I watched that game. Jackson got deep post position consistently and salesian slowed the game down and ran some great half court sets. They play very very physical basketball. It was an interesting clash in styles. I still think pinewood is about 10 to 15 points better.

Paige Gerhart is the Point guard at SRV. She is phenomenal.

WOW!!!:eek:

100 league games in a row? that's impressive...

and I thought CN's current 73 game league winning streak was a good stat..lol

Dang...CN has to go 2 more yrs of undefeated to match that.

northbaybbguru,

Carondelet I think is 135-2 in league the past ten seasons and haven't loss in league in 5 years. So they are right there with BOD and CN.

Lbj6,

Paige has game ! No doubt she won't be flying under the radar much longer.

Much of the battles comes down to coaching, game planning, preparation, and half time adjustments.. And the fact that teams feed off their coaches personality, confidence, and expectations. Pinewood and salesian could go either way and will depend on how tight the refs call it. If they let them play, I'd give Salesian a slight edge. But if I were to guess the refs will call it tight. Which hurts a speedy, tough, physical team like Salesian. Foul trouble..... I don't care how good you are, you can't ball from the bench.

Last edited:

Mitty will be the most prepared team early in the season, as they usually are, and will overwhelm teams in the first month of the season. The key will be if they sustain that play and will they have guard play that can control the floor. They lost Ortiz who ran the floor for Mitty for the last three years.

Reactions: Paytc
I know SMS had a huge league winning streak going a few yrs back (I want to say 186?) that was the Calif state record at the time. SMS forfeited that game against McNair and originally Cal Hi said the streak would stay intact....does anyone remember the final resolution on that? And now that SMS has gone independent(if record is intact) does that mean that streak technically is still alive?

I know SMS had a huge league winning streak going a few yrs back (I want to say 186?) that was the Calif state record at the time. SMS forfeited that game against McNair and originally Cal Hi said the streak would stay intact....does anyone remember the final resolution on that? And now that SMS has gone independent(if record is intact) does that mean that streak technically is still alive?

Hey no fair bringing SMS league record into the equation. Their consistent league and overall dominance has been almost unmatched. I would think they would have the record. But Clay or someone more informed on Norcal girls basketball history would be able to provide a better answer.

Last edited:
Mitty will be the most prepared team early in the season, as they usually are, and will overwhelm teams in the first month of the season. The key will be if they sustain that play and will they have guard play that can control the floor. They lost Ortiz who ran the floor for Mitty for the last three years.

Ortiz will be hard to replace no doubt. Sue always had the luxury of being able to slide Haley Jones over to share 6 foot point guard play up the court when she chose to do so. And they had smaller guards who could bring the ball up in a crunch, or if she wanted to add a wrinkle by placing her 6 footers all up court near the basket. Not having as much size, depth, and athletic ability ( to my knowledge) this season will make for a challenge. And how tight refs call games can get key players who have to do more tired and/ or in foul trouble. Then of course every good team needs to be fortunate enough to stay healthy which is never a guarantee. It would be nice to see Haley Jones get a championship on her way out. So I'll be rooting with mixed feelings. I like several teams and still have to root for the home squad too.

Last edited:

Similarly, does Carondelet’s league streak take a hiatus while they are independent, or do they get credit for the EBAL teams they beat even though they’re not “league” games and they don’t get a league championship?

Similarly, does Carondelet’s league streak take a hiatus while they are independent, or do they get credit for the EBAL teams they beat even though they’re not “league” games and they don’t get a league championship?

I would think playing "Independent" is no longer playing in league, so my guess would be the league streak stops when a team goes to an independent schedule. But I could be wrong since I don't set the rules and standards in place. Perhaps Clay or someone who has more information about the history, and ins and outs of high school girls basketball would have the answer?

Juniors Paige Gerhart and Audrey Bayston will be strong again for SRV, but they lost several seniors and don't have that much fill in potential from the upper classmen. Boards will be a real problem as well as post defense. SRV does have 4 good frosh who should all go direct to varsity but it remains to be seen whether they can contribute immediately. SRV will do well, but are probably a year away from hitting their stride. The pipeline of current 8th graders is also better than most years.

Reactions: Paytc
Juniors Paige Gerhart and Audrey Bayston will be strong again for SRV, but they lost several seniors and don't have that much fill in potential from the upper classmen. Boards will be a real problem as well as post defense. SRV does have 4 good frosh who should all go direct to varsity but it remains to be seen whether they can contribute immediately. SRV will do well, but are probably a year away from hitting their stride. The pipeline of current 8th graders is also better than most years.

I agree they will be better than perhaps they have been. And they will miss the hustle and toughness of Lexie Romero, and their big inside players Victoria Z. and Katie P. And Carondelet being able to maintain the size, talent and depth advantage much longer is questionable. But typically when teams play a close game the one with the most depth or gas at the end tends to have an advantage. Unless of course the refs call a game tight or loose and that becomes of significant advantage to one of the teams. I personally thought California and/ or SRV had a chance to pull the upset last season. It's hard to believe if they didn't do it then that they will be able to anytime soon. Even though I don't have a problem agreeing Paige and Audrey and others will bring enough heart, talent, and effort to make the upset possible. I still think Carondelet's only competitor in the East Bay on the court and especially measuring up in recruiting talent will be Miramonte, Not SRV or Monte Vista who is the only team in league to beat Carondelet (135-2) in the last ten seasons. Monta Vista actually beat Carondelet twice. I think in 2013 was the last time. The other time I think was a few seasons before 2013, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
How is noone mentioning McClatchy. A team that only Lost ONE senior. With UW commit (Lowery), (K. Hall) Mid D1 Prospect and a great supporting cast and Fresman Class. I mean they did lose to Edison Twice last year but other than that they Had an Amazing season and beat alot of teams.

McClatchy could be very good, no doubt, but those two losses to Edison raised questions. My guess is those questions will be answered in a positive manner for McClatchy, but to do so, I think Lowery has to be a more efficient offensive player than she was last year. Given her potential, of course, that's much more likely than not ...

McClatchy could be very good, no doubt, but those two losses to Edison raised questions. My guess is those questions will be answered in a positive manner for McClatchy, but to do so, I think Lowery has to be a more efficient offensive player than she was last year. Given her potential, of course, that's much more likely than not ...

Indeed. BUT they did beat Sac Hi Twice, Pleasant Valley, Heritage, Campo, and Whitney Very Easily..

With that said Edison was a Pretty Good team from what I heard. How will they be this year? Havent heard much about them after having a successful season in the SJS.

let me give this a try now after scrimmages this past week....I don't care what the national rankings say...I trust this board more than any of them...as we have seen most of these team play numerous times and go by the eye test rather than some computer program or hearsay.

1... PW... 4 returning starters...with 2 good soph guards ready to step in for Claros at PG. I think PW is going to be great...their best team in this current run.

2... MITTY... will always have the best player on the court which as we all know goes a LONG ways. But I'm not sold on the transfers yet...got to prove it to me.
Still only drop to #2 though...lol

3...CLET....probably a surprise to most that I put them this high....but from what I've seen they have a slick PG and an excellent BIG plus they run 8-9 deep. They will be a handful.

4...SALESIAN

5...BOD

6...SMS...chatter coming out of SMS is they have some big time transfers who will be eligible in Jan. If true I would say SMS will be trending up at that point. But for now (preseason) I will put them at the 6. Time will tell.

7...McClatchy...this is a tough seeding for me because with Lowery and Kam they should be better than what they have shown. They have been loaded with talent over the last 4 or 5 yrs and yet have NEVER made it into the OPEN. The BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS in NorCal without a doubt. So I'm going to bite 1 last time...I'd expect them to make it to the finals in the SJS D1....but honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they lose in the 2nd/3rd rd to someone like Consumnes Oaks.

8... SJND
9... HERITAGE
10...ANTELOPE
11...SAC HI
12...CN
13...MM
14...BEAR CREEK
15...ST FRANCIS (WCAL)
16...CONSUMNES OAKS
17...ESP
18...WHITNEY
19...BRADSHAW CHRISTIAN
20...PIEDMONT/FOLSOM/SRV/CHRISTIAN BROS

***I THINK 12-17 CAN BE INTERCHANGED WITH NO ARGUMENT

Last edited:
Reactions: LBJ6
let me give this a try now after scrimmages this past week....I don't care what the national rankings say...I trust this board more than any of them...as we have seen most of these team play numerous times and go by the eye test rather than some computer program or hearsay.

1... PW... 4 returning starters...with 2 good soph guards ready to step in for Claros at PG. I think PW is going to be great...their best team in this current run.

2... MITTY... will always have the best player on the court which as we all know goes a LONG ways. But I'm not sold on the transfers yet...got to prove it to me.

3...CLET....probably a surprise to most that I put them this high....but from what I've seen they have a slick PG and an excellent BIG plus they run 8-9 deep. They will be a handful.

4...SALESIAN

5...BOD

6...SMS...chatter coming out of SMS is they have some big time transfers who will be eligible in Jan. If true I would say SMS will be trending up at that point. But for now (preseason) I will put them at the 6. Time will tell.

7...McClatchy...this is a tough seeding for me because with Lowery and Kam they should be better than what they have shown. They have been loaded with talent over the last 4 or 5 yrs and yet have NEVER made it into the OPEN. The BIGGEST UNDERACHIEVERS in NorCal without a doubt. So I'm going to bite 1 last time...I'd expect them to make it to the finals in the SJS D1....but honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they lose in the 2nd/3rd rd to someone like Consumnes Oaks.

8... SJND
9... HERITAGE
10...ANTELOPE
11...SAC HI
12...CN
13...MM
14...BEAR CREEK
15...ST FRANCIS (WCAL)
16...CONSUMNES OAKS
17...ESP
18...WHITNEY
19...BRADSHAW CHRISTIAN

No SHC in your top 20? Interesting....

4...SALESIAN

5...BOD

8... SJND
9... HERITAGE
10...ANTELOPE
11...SAC HI
12...CN
13...MM
14...BEAR CREEK
15...ST FRANCIS (WCAL)
16...CONSUMNES OAKS
17...ESP
18...WHITNEY
19...BRADSHAW CHRISTIAN

Im with you on the CLET ranking. They are going to be so good.. they would be great even if they coached themselves. Those girls are battle tested and talented. I like the rest of your rankings too. Pinewood is going to be as good as last year if not better. I notice you like Whitney a lot too. Good team and great coach. Hope they do well again this year.

No SHC in your top 20? Interesting....

City,

Most of the girls I watched play AAU and HS are gone. I just don't know enough about them at this point. I do know they graduated 9 seniors though and I do know LyRyan is an excellent coach. So at this point I am in a wait and see mode. I am excited to watch them play at the
CN Classic Nov 29, 30 Dec1 at the end of the month. Good competition in the tourney and I should have a better feel for them after its over.

Reactions: kevchoice
City,

Most of the girls I watched play AAU and HS are gone. I just don't know enough about them at this point. I do know they graduated 9 seniors though and I do know LyRyan is an excellent coach. So at this point I am in a wait and see mode. I am excited to watch them play at the
CN Classic Nov 29, 30 Dec1 at the end of the month. Good competition in the tourney and I should have a better feel for them after its over.

I get it but out of the top 20? Since LyRyan has been there 3 state championship appearances in 6 years. At the end of the day it is SHC. 9 seniors graduated but the coaching is the same and their best player was a junior. Same thing happened last year with everyone counting them out so I'm not surprised. S.I. will turn a lot of heads sooner than later also. I think we jump the gun on a lot of teams that don't play anybody and rack up wins which is every team 8-20 on your list lol. CN tournament should be a good one

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT