ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Coaches in My Opinion

He most certainly did. No argument there. The point in mentioning him is that it has been debated numerous times over the years whether he could have built the same program or been anywhere near as prolific and consistent at a public school. All we really know is that he was highly successful at De La Salle. Everything else is pure speculation.

For me the answer is easy. Yes I think public or private Lad has the same type of success. Does he have the win streak? No idea. DLS success is based in accountability, hard work, coaching, commitment, etc, all these things can be brought to the public institution. Set the standard day 1 and be consistent and the kids will adapt. The problem isn't the kids it's usually the adults that try and take the short cuts.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
Sorry if the term ball washer hurt your feelings just being sarcastic. Rest of my statement I stand by. As for flat out coach? Debatable I will say this pointing out points his teams are giving up over last 4 games isn't proof of anything. 1. He is on record as stating he has nothing to do with defensive side of the ball your giving basically a defensive stat. 2. They haven't played anybody that is in the caliber they should be playing. In other words want to be looked at as a quality program why is your preseason filled with half ass teams? They book 1 CA team with a solid history and that's Helix. Helix however had a new coach so who new what they would be and are 2-2 currently. Booking a 3 win canyon springs (2015 record) team is frankly embarrassing for a top CA program. And they fact that Canyon was ranked top 30 in NV after winning 3 tells us what NV football is all about. (Minus BG) Look I call it as I see it. Give me a CVCHS signature win the last 5 years? In other words yeah they beat the schools they should beat but where is that next step win? Remember they have been playing down in D2 picking on schools and teams doing it with local kids all the while bringing in talent from every city around. And when they have finally stepped up in compitition they have lost, and usually have been out coached.

IdianPride: Good points and I am not sure they should be playing D1 with there enrollment but I can check there figures and get back to you. Not sure if there is a signature win in the past 5 years, some great games and willingness to play anyone and anywhere. 1 point loss 27-26 @ Folsom in 2015, wins against Cardinal Newman (11-3), James Logan (7-4), Monte Vista (7-4), a good Oak Grove (11-3) and a tough Oakdale team (13-2) in 2014. They do have losses to Pitt & De La Salle on there schedules and I am sure most teams that have faced those two teams are showing losses for the most part. Again, there is not right or wrong answer when someone is giving you there opinion, don't take it personal if you kid played for him & didn't get any run or you have some stone to grind. Agree to disagree with me is fine, as I am sure most do on here from time to time. As a player, coach, ref and now a fan, I have liked the way his teams have played over the years and he's always been very professional when I have had to deal with him, not a ball washer but rather just a fan. By the way, head coaches oversea the entire program, so he may not have his hands in the play calling on the defensive side of the ball but I am sure in film study, he will give his opinion. I am sure coach Ladouceur & Alumbaugh don't have much to do with the defense at De La Salle, Eidson has been doing it for 25 plus years but who gets all the credit for the wins and all the blame for the losses, the head coach last time I checked.

What game will you be at this Friday night? Would be nice to meet face to face and who doesn't like good witty banter?

Good points and I am not sure they should be playing D1 with there enrollment but I can check there figures and get back to you. Not sure if there is a signature win in the past 5 years, some great games and willingness to play anyone and anywhere.

Enrollment is the way of hiding in D2. When you run a football program that is bringing in talent from all over the area and has 60+ kids on varsity, JV and Freshman your a D1 program. And I will add to that once they were forced up to D1 they added 200 or so kids to this years freshman class. No extra portables, no extra teachers just kids. And the willingness comment kind of goes out the window when they willingly play down to avoid D1 playoffs. And I don't have a axe to grind just call it as I see it, however I will say Murph does seem to leave places without a lot of fans. As for what game I may go to this weekend? Seems to me everybody is on bye might go to a juco game haven't looked at schedules yet.

Reactions: NorCalScout
Thunder i Guess i should have quoted you before you edited your post. Now ill probably get one of those

Huh????:confused:

No need. I have no problem admitting that I made a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out so I could correct.

Point four, what more can I ask for In regards to handing the ball off to Booker four consecutive times? For starters it was a QB sneak and then three straight handoffs to Booker all in Jumbo I-formation. Very vanilla in my years of coaching especially with no movement from the offense in that situation. These are the things I would have looked at. How about spreading Rocklin out by going 4 wide and given Booker the rock. How about a spread shovel pass to Booker showing motion? Something Rocklin definitely wouldn't have been expecting.

I'm going to start referring to you as "hindsight guy". It's always easy to second guess once you know the result and you are quite proficient at that!

People second guess Pete Carroll in the Superbowl because the pass didn't work. Almost every arm chair in America like yourself criticized Carroll for doing exactly what you are suggesting here. Instead of going to his bread and butter with Marshawn Lynch, which everyone but Malcolm Butler seemed to expect, he deviated and it didn't work out. Because of that, the decision is widely panned as one of the worst in Super Bowl/playoff history. But here you are criticizing Coach AL for doing what most ridicule Pete Carroll for not doing. Go figure.

As I said before, you can question formation, motion or whatever else you want. You have the luxury of hindsight to back you up. If he had done something different, you have no idea whether it would have been successful or backfired just the same as it did to Pete Carroll. Any number of things could have gone wrong to where people would have then criticized him for not going to his bread and butter and playing to his offenses biggest strength. I'm quite certain you would have been 1st in that line.

In the end, the ball was in the hands of his best player behind one of the biggest assets and advantages the Pacers had over other teams, which was their sizable and talented o-line. Rocklin just happened to want it more and were up to the task. As far as you or anyone else knows, the same thing would have happened no matter what formation or play the Pacers ran. It's really easy to say "this" or "that" would have worked better considering that we already know the results.

In foresight I would have never went at Rocklin with Booker that way. No matter how you slice it or try to clean it up that's bad coaching 101. As a bonafide OC it takes a person with a great imagination (chess like) in situations like this to be considered top 5 status in my book.

I'm curious as to how many wins, league titles, section championships, and Open State titles you have on your resume? A bonafide OC should have more than Coach AL, right?

Oh, wait, I forgot. It's only because of the talent that he's accomplished any of these things. All these other coaches are really much, much better than him but don't have the surplus of talent to overcome it. Right. Got it. So much for scheme.

Again, I'm wondering where all the section titles were before Coach AL took over? 20 years of postseason play, no titles. His predecessor was 112-47-2 (.702) yet no titles. Not even an appearance in the Section Final.

Coach AL takes over in 1991 and wins a section title in 1992. Fluke, I guess. He goes on to win 6 section titles in 18 seasons -- essentially one every 3 to 4 seasons -- but still no credit. He's supposed to win despite the fact that nobody ever managed to do it beforehand. He even managed to lead the Pacers baseball team to it's only section title in 1989-- something that's never happened before or since -- but I'm sure it was only because of the overwhelming talent too.

Unbelievable. Ok, I'm done for real this time. It's obvious that you can't put 2 and 2 together and recognize that he took the Pacers to heights they never reached w/o his leadership and that he must be doing a lot more right than wrong. I'll leave you to your second guessing and patiently wait to see you win title after title due to flawless tactical coaching.

Good day sir!

I'm going to start referring to you as "hindsight guy". It's always easy to second guess once you know the result and you are quite proficient at that!

People second guess Pete Carroll in the Superbowl because the pass didn't work. Almost every arm chair in America like yourself criticized Carroll for doing exactly what you are suggesting here. Instead of going to his bread and butter with Marshawn Lynch, which everyone but Malcolm Butler seemed to expect, he deviated and it didn't work out. Because of that, the decision is widely panned as one of the worst in Super Bowl/playoff history. But here you are criticizing Coach AL for doing what most ridicule Pete Carroll for not doing. Go figure.

As I said before, you can question formation, motion or whatever else you want. You have the luxury of hindsight to back you up. If he had done something different, you have no idea whether it would have been successful or backfired just the same as it did to Pete Carroll. Any number of things could have gone wrong to where people would have then criticized him for not going to his bread and butter and playing to his offenses biggest strength. I'm quite certain you would have been 1st in that line.

In the end, the ball was in the hands of his best player behind one of the biggest assets and advantages the Pacers had over other teams, which was their sizable and talented o-line. Rocklin just happened to want it more and were up to the task. As far as you or anyone else knows, the same thing would have happened no matter what formation or play the Pacers ran. It's really easy to say "this" or "that" would have worked better considering that we already know the results.

I'm curious as to how many wins, league titles, section championships, and Open State titles you have on your resume? A bonafide OC should have more than Coach AL, right?

Oh, wait, I forgot. It's only because of the talent that he's accomplished any of these things. All these other coaches are really much, much better than him but don't have the surplus of talent to overcome it. Right. Got it. So much for scheme.

Again, I'm wondering where all the section titles were before Coach AL took over? 20 years of postseason play, no titles. His predecessor was 112-47-2 (.702) yet no titles. Not even an appearance in the Section Final.

Coach AL takes over in 1991 and wins a section title in 1992. Fluke, I guess. He goes on to win 6 section titles in 18 seasons -- essentially one every 3 to 4 seasons -- but still no credit. He's supposed to win despite the fact that nobody ever managed to do it beforehand. He even managed to lead the Pacers baseball team to it's only section title in 1989-- something that's never happened before or since -- but I'm sure it was only because of the overwhelming talent too.

Unbelievable. Ok, I'm done for real this time. It's obvious that you can't put 2 and 2 together and recognize that he took the Pacers to heights they never reached w/o his leadership and that he must be doing a lot more right than wrong. I'll leave you to your second guessing and patiently wait to see you win title after title due to flawless tactical coaching.

Good day sir!
TR, what I said I stand by. In my second to last post on this I said, I respect Coach Al. So I really don't know what more you want me to say here. Al's done a phenomenal job at Grant as well as the Community. I'm actually shocked you've decided to take the personal attack route in your refutes. I enjoy the banter between the two of us and think it's been very spirited, entertaining and respectful up until now. But hey, when they go low, I go high. That being said, I see my top five as being logical at the end of the day. As a matter of fact, I've noticed there are many posters that don't have coach Al in their top five so maybe you should ask them, why is that? I'm not understanding how you can question me when there's only one poster on this topic that's placed coach Al in their top five. Figure that one out and you may have something. Until then, all this going back and forth about what coach Al did and didn't do has become redundant now. He's a SJS legend for sure and that's respect. 2 and 2 is 4.

CT4L

TR, since you brought up that terrible call in the SB here's my take on it. God is my witness. In regards to the Seahawks 2nd and goal play from the 1 yard line after the BM 4 yard gain here's how I reacted. At this point I'm now standing in the living room behind my recliner. As soon as I saw the Seahawks come out of their huddle into a spread formation I instantly told everyone in the room this is not good!!!! I promise you I said that. We all know what happened after that. Why did I instantly say, this is not good? 1. Because BM runs better behind a FB. 2. Any DC worth their weight know good and damn well your only hope is to jump routes for the pick. 3. The spread formation kills play action pass. All of these negatives are going through my mind as soon as the Seahawks broke their huddle. You don't have to believe me but that's the honest to God truth. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!!! Now I'm done.

Here's the link. The Beast Mode run starts @ 0:10. I called out "this is not good" @ 0:42.

CT4L

Last edited:
@NorCalScout - So I got to thinking about our little discussion and play anybody anywhere and the teams you listed. I went back and looked their record and teams played and found this.

Oakdale 1-1
Tracy. 2-0
C.Newman 2-0
DLS. 0-1
Pitt. 0-1
Rev. 0-1
Miramonte 0-1
Folsom. 0-1
M.V. 1-0
O.G. 1-0
Bonne. 0-1
Helix. 0-1
Total record. 7-8

Now that's CV record against in state opponents that are better than average programs. Tracy is frankly a stretch because only one year they played them were they good. C.Newman is a D3 or 4 program but quality none the less.

Reactions: NorCalScout
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT