ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL all-league bonanza

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
The WCAL has done it again. The eight-team circuit has announced its 2022 all-league players. And, as always, there are lots of them, 109 to be exact, first-team, second-team and honorable mention. The list is so long that even Valley Christian, which went winless in league play, had 12 selected. "Equity" rules.

The WCAL has done it again. The eight-team circuit has announced its 2022 all-league players. And, as always, there are lots of them, 109 to be exact, first-team, second-team and honorable mention. The list is so long that even Valley Christian, which went winless in league play, had 12 selected. "Equity" rules.
I think you miss the whole point of this WCAL exercise. You are very knowledgeable of the ins-and-outs of WCAL. However, I do not think this is an exercise in equity. Instead, it is a practice trying to ferret out the best WCAL players across the WCAL board regardless of the total team results. There were some very gifted players on the VC team - but the team as a whole did not jell and the total synergy of ALL VC players did not amount to much this year.

For example, you don't get the running back of the year award as a give-me exercise. Yet VC's junior Uchenna Clinton Eke got this year's WCAL award. And Champ Tualealea gets the sophomore player of the year. You don't get these top player awards in the give-me system.

Granted, the second team and honorable mention players might fall into the give-me category since every WCAL team got 3 second team mentions and 5 honorable mentions. So let be fair, who got the top awards and the first team awards?

Top awards
Serra got 6 top awards, being the most as expected; 4 being juniors. They are going to be good again next year.
Mitty, Riordan, Sacred Heart Cath, St,. Francis and Valley Christ all got 2.
Bellarmine and Riordan got one
And St. Ignatius got none.

First team awards of which many were also listed in the top awards
Serra 8, 5 being juniors which, again, bodes very well for next year.
St. Francis 7, with zero underclassmen
Mitty and Sacred Heart Cath have 6, both with zero underclassmen.
Bellarmine have 5, with zero underclassmen
St. Ignatius have 5, with 1 sophomore
Riordan have 4, with 1 sophomore
Valley Christian have 4, with 2 juniors and 1 sophomore.

Last edited:
I think you miss the whole point of this WCAL exercise. You are very knowledgeable of the ins-and-outs of WCAL. However, I do not think this is an exercise in equity. Instead, it is a practice trying to ferret out the best WCAL players across the WCAL board regardless of the total team results. There were some very gifted players on the VC team - but the team as a whole did not jell and the total synergy of ALL VC players did not amount to much this year.

For example, you don't get the running back of the year award as a give-me exercise. Yet VC's junior Uchenna Clinton Eke got this year's WCAL award. And Champ Tualealea gets the sophomore player of the year. You don't get these top player awards in the give-me system.

Granted, the second team and honorable mention players might fall into the give-me category since every WCAL team got 3 second team mentions and 5 honorable mentions. So let be fair, who got the top awards and the top team awards?

Top awards
Serra got 6 top awards, being the most as expected; 4 being juniors. They are going to be good again next year.
Mitty, Riordan, Sacred Heart Cath, St,. Francis and Valley Christ all got 2.
Bellarmine and Riordan got one
And St. Ignatius got none.

First team awards of which many were also listed in the top awards
Serra 8, 5 being juniors which, again, bodes very well for next year.
St. Francis 7, with zero underclassmen
Mitty and Sacred Heart Cath have 6, both with zero underclassmen.
Bellarmine have 5, with zero underclassmen
St. Ignatius have 5, with 1 sophomore
Riordan have 4, with 1 sophomore
Valley Christian have 4, with 2 juniors and 1 sophomore.
Who won the big awards?

Who won the big awards?
I'm not sure what you mean as the big awards... So here is all the player of the year awards or as I call them, the top awards.

Player of the Year: Danny Scudero – Archbishop Mitty
Running Back of the Year: Uchenna Eke – Valley Christian
Fullbacks of the Year: Isaiah Tuiono – Saint Francis
Quarterback of the Year: Maealiuaki Smith – Junipero Serra
Tight End of the Year: Seamus Gilmartin – Junipero Serra
Offensive Linemen of the Year: Oliver Bari – Saint Francis
Wide Receiver of the Year: RL Miller – Sacred Heart Cathedral
Defensive Lineman of the Year: Jae’von Reels - Bellarmine
Outside Linebacker of the Year – Marley Alapati – Junipero Serra
Linebacker of the Year: Jerry Mixon – Sacred Heart Cathedral
Defensive Backs of the Year: Joseph Bey – Junipero Serra
Kickers of the Year: Rade Galeb – Archbishop Mitty
Utility Players of the Year: Jaden Green – Junipero Serra
Junior Player of the Year: Jabari Mann – Junipero Serra
Sophomore Player of the Year: Champ Tualealea – Valley Christian
Freshman of the Year – Michael Mitchell Jr. – Archbishop Riordan

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Thanks FBAddict - I’m surprised the Serra RB Latu or the SF soph running back Keainainna (I guarantee I misspelled that) didn’t receive “top” awards, but kudos to the coaches for going “out of the box” to name Scudero the POY. He was truly the most dynamic individual in the league….it would have been easy to choose someone from Serra.

Thanks FBAddict - I’m surprised the Serra RB Latu or the SF soph running back Keainainna (I guarantee I misspelled that) didn’t receive “top” awards, but kudos to the coaches for going “out of the box” to name Scudero the POY. He was truly the most dynamic individual in the league….it would have been easy to choose someone from Serra.
Interesting - there are three Latus on the varsity roster, but Joseph Latu has the most play time with 9 games. - I don't see Junior Joseph Latu (or any other Latu) among any of the 109 players mentioned even all the way down to the honorable mentions. And I don't anyone remotely close the name Keainainna on the Serra roster or on the WCAL awards list.

Reactions: Scott2138
I looked it up….the soph SF running back I was referencing is Kingston

Keanaaina​

I mean, if Im paying $30k a year to send my kid to school to play football, I expect him to be recognized by everyone and their mother.
You paid $30k? You are really getting ripped off. Everyone else is paying only $22,000 for a Serra education. And me and other tax payers spend $20,200 per student at the Campbell school district. I assume Campbell will be similar to other public school districts' cost per student.

I looked it up….the soph SF running back I was referencing is Kingston

Keanaaina​

Oh, St. Francis... There is a Keala Keanaaina (Sr RB) listed as First team but no other Keanaaina listed on the WCAL awards list.

Oh, St. Francis... There is a Keala Keanaaina (Sr RB) listed as First team but no other Keanaaina listed on the WCAL awards list.
The sophomore running back is the brother of the senior RB. There are 3 brothers. One is a freshman or going to be a freshman next year. SF lost 16 starters from last years team so I was surprised to see them be competitive this year. There are a lot of good underclass men players that made big contributions including a really good sophomore qb and OL players. I’m surprised that all of the awards went to all seniors.

Reactions: FBAddict
Those equity awards mean nothing today. You used to have to earn those awards.

All leagues do that now, there is no way a team that didn't win a league game has a player receiving those type of awards. This is why Football is dying.

Reactions: Scott2138
I'm not sure what you mean as the big awards... So here is all the player of the year awards or as I call them, the top awards.

Player of the Year: Danny Scudero – Archbishop Mitty
Running Back of the Year: Uchenna Eke – Valley Christian
Fullbacks of the Year: Isaiah Tuiono – Saint Francis
Quarterback of the Year: Maealiuaki Smith – Junipero Serra
Tight End of the Year: Seamus Gilmartin – Junipero Serra
Offensive Linemen of the Year: Oliver Bari – Saint Francis
Wide Receiver of the Year: RL Miller – Sacred Heart Cathedral
Defensive Lineman of the Year: Jae’von Reels - Bellarmine
Outside Linebacker of the Year – Marley Alapati – Junipero Serra
Linebacker of the Year: Jerry Mixon – Sacred Heart Cathedral
Defensive Backs of the Year: Joseph Bey – Junipero Serra
Kickers of the Year: Rade Galeb – Archbishop Mitty
Utility Players of the Year: Jaden Green – Junipero Serra
Junior Player of the Year: Jabari Mann – Junipero Serra
Sophomore Player of the Year: Champ Tualealea – Valley Christian
Freshman of the Year – Michael Mitchell Jr. – Archbishop Riordan
Here is the comparable overall offense/defensive stats that Danny Scudero vs RL Miller?

Scudero:
(Offense) 60 receptions, 982 yards, 13 TDs / 50 carries, 309 yards 3 TDs.
(Defense) 11 tackles, 4.5 sacks and 1 INT.

Miller:
(Offense) 32 receptions, 687 yards, 8 TDs
(Defense) 5 INTs and 6 defensive TDs.

Last edited:
Here is the comparable overall offense/defensive stats that Danny Scudero vs RL Miller?

Scudero:
(Offense) 60 receptions, 982 yards, 13 TDs / 50 carries, 309 yards 3 TDs.
(Defense) 11 tackles, 4.5 sacks and 1 INT.

Miller:
(Offense) 32 receptions, 687 yards, 8 TDs
(Defense) 5 INTs and 6 defensive TDs.
I think RL Miller would have gotten the award if SHC beat Mitty, that was probably one of the differences or factors to compare as well as reaching the finals.

That’s more 13 all leaguers per team. It used to be that many players earned varsity letters BITD. Now guys feel pretty crappy if they don’t make an all league team.

By far the best of all the leagues when it comes to recognizing the players accomplishments. How is every league not like this!!

I like how the WCAL does it (other leagues do too) with all the individual honors. I don't pay much attention to first team/second team stuff though because those seem over the top

By far the best of all the leagues when it comes to recognizing the players accomplishments. How is every league not like this!!
It depends what you’re looking to do. Having this many honorees really waters down the accomplishments of the top 11 on each side of the ball, but this way honors a greater number of people.
Kind of like how when I was a kid you had to win something to get a trophy, and they were highly valued, but now kids get so many participation trophies that they lose their meaning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT