ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL in Review - Looking Forward to 2019-20 Season

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
Hoops season has officially opened! Would love to hear everyone's take for this year!

Hoops season has officially opened! Would love to hear everyone's take for this year!

I think WCAL title will be between Mitty and SI. Bellarmine graduated their stellar class so they should come back down to the rest of the league. Serra and St. Francis will be tough games for everyone because they are coached really well regardless of talent. Riordan if they can get production out of their post players will have a real good shot at winning league. SH and VC will duke it out at the bottom.

Mitty will have a more seasoned Mitchell this year to go along with Sapp, Bey, Vaughn and Aguilar. Likely the best starting 5 in league. SI is going to be tall and athletic with Cason, Begovich, Robinson 3-headed monster.

Reactions: jordan24
I think WCAL title will be between Mitty and SI. Bellarmine graduated their stellar class so they should come back down to the rest of the league. Serra and St. Francis will be tough games for everyone because they are coached really well regardless of talent. Riordan if they can get production out of their post players will have a real good shot at winning league. SH and VC will duke it out at the bottom.

Mitty will have a more seasoned Mitchell this year to go along with Sapp, Bey, Vaughn and Aguilar. Likely the best starting 5 in league. SI is going to be tall and athletic with Cason, Begovich, Robinson 3-headed monster.

I’m sure Riordan will have something to say about this. Best backcourt in Northen California.

I'm a Knights Fan.....Been waiting for a season like this my entire life. I really think this Stuart Hall team is going to have all the right pieces to make some nice runs. I'm looking forward to the challenge of playing three WCAL teams, the two-time Public School Champion, as well as one of Marin Counties' best teams.

Sheldon and their National Schedule will be interesting. They seem to be the only Norcal team capable of taking down a Socal team, but I hope I am wrong about that one.

Prospects I'm excited to watch: Nigel Burris, Miles Amos, Zach Johnson, Charley Moore, Robby Beasley, Dishon Jackson, Bryce Monroe, Je'lani Clark..........I might be missing some, but tried to name as many as I could.

I’m sure Riordan will have something to say about this. Best backcourt in Northen California.
Easy my friend. With Fresno now being placed in the north I would take Jalen Green and whoever is going along with him. Hands down. Not even close. I don't want to sound like a jerk, I respect your opinion. I just think Jalen is Really good.

I think Bballmath was talking in response to a WCAL post, and in that context he's probably correct about Riordan's backcourt.

But for all of NorCal, yeah Green is a total BEAST. It doesn't appear he'll have a whole lot of quality help surrounding him, and he will likely get double-teamed and even triple-teamed nearly all the time. It'll be interesting to see how he handles all that unwanted attention from opponents... Dude is one of the most spectacular athletes I've ever laid eyes on.

Oh, one other thing... Fresno is in NorCal now? Dunno how I missed this... musta been one hell of an earthquake :)

Seriously, where did this news come from?

Edit: I just now took a look at the playoff rules/info at the Central Section's website, and those seemed to indicate that their playoff winners and at-large teams would go to the SoCal playoffs.

Last edited:
Jalen Green and SJM got a 6-11 Las Vegas Prospects player our of Utah named Braxton Meah

Jalen Green and SJM got a 6-11 Las Vegas Prospects player out of Utah named Braxton Meah

Well, that should help...

Just went and found some video... not a whole lot available. But what little I spotted shows he's at least close to that size... listed 6'11" 210 at the Propects EYBL site. Not a dazzling athlete, but he seems to have some skills, esp. defensively.

Still haven't seen a roster yet. Irish have a scrimmage at Berkeley and the "CCS Sportsmanship" game at Hillsdale and of course, no home pre-season games. Just the Alumni Game...

Very slightly off-topic,but my live hoops season starts in some 20 mnutes at McKeon Pavilon... Former Folsom superstar Jordan Ford leads the SMC Gaels vs McNeese State.

I’m in the general admission bleachers, center court.

Last edited:
Halftime... Game was close for about 10-11 minutes, but then the Gaels got a bit of a run going... Score at the break is 34-23, Gaels in front.

Ford is having a bit of a quiet game thus far, but he’s got 8 points, 2 or 3 boards and 3 assists.

Gaels just blew this thing wiiiiiiiide open, Ford providing a good bit of the surge... 62-40 Gaels with 11:11 left.

Ford has been getting to the rack at will... has 19 points now.

Ford leaves with 23 points, 5 assists 3 boards. Gaels by 22 at the time he went out with maybe 6:30 left.

Solid performance by Ford and the rest of the Gaels

I just want to give a special shout out to the Gridley Invitational people this year.

The lineup is absolutely stacked and it truly is the best High School tournament in Norcal.

I just want to give a special shout out to the Gridley Invitational people this year.

The lineup is absolutely stacked and it truly is the best High School tournament in Norcal.

Thank you. We try our best.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Can someone share the link to the tourney?

Marcskit, when will the bracket pairings become available? Gridley always puts on one of the best tournaments.

Hi jordan24
Making up the brackets is a bit complicated. We have to take into account if two teams are scheduled to play before or at a later date. Such as league or at the Nor-cal tip-off.
Some teams have needs, and request to play at later times because of travel. Styles of play, and rankings come into account. Lots of variables.
We usually wait till after the Nor-cal Tip-off. This gives us an opportunity to see the whole team that will wind up at the GIBT. And hopefully we get good match ups.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: OneDNA and jordan24
My Pre-season WCAL Title Favorites: (will update after non league play)
1. Mitty
2. Riordan
3. SI
4. Serra
5. St. Francis
6. Bellarmine
7. SHC
8. Valley Christian

Irish scrimmage at Berkeley at 6pm. First game is on Nov. 15 at Hillsdale at 6pm. I haven't seen a roster yet. I won't see them until the Alumni Game.

Riordan Hosts Jefferson in Foundation Game Thurs night. Travels to Oakland to scrimmage Bishop O’Dowd this Saturday.

1) SI - CCS Open
2) Mitty - CCS Open
3) Serra - CCS Open
4) Riordan - CCS Open
5) Bellarmine - CCS D1
6) St. Francis - CCS D2
7) Valley Christian - CCS D3/4
8) SH - CCS D3
and I predict if SH doesnt win CCS D3 finals, a new coaching search will begin.

8) SH - CCS D3
and I predict if SH doesnt win CCS D3 finals, a new coaching search will begin.
Monterey would be the heavy favorite in D3 CCS, should they be placed there and not the Open this year. They return 4 starters. SHC be a solid contender if Monterey goes to the Open.
My initial WCAL title projections are based on returning players from last season and projected additions. I like Renard Monroe's selections as well. Should be great games of the contenders between Mitty, Riordan SI and Serra

1. Mitty (Bey, Greene, Sapp, Vaughn and Mitchell)
Lose Grigsby and bring up several from a strong JV squad
2. Riordan (Clark, Turner, Ugbaja, Johnson, Henderson, Quanico, Balingit)
Lose Chun, Benham, Oropeza. Add Bryce Monroe, Jr 6-9 Twins Riiny and Chan, Wilson and several players from a strong JV squad
3. SI (Begovich, Robinson, Neal, Cason, Klein, Nangle and Snyder)
Lose 3 year varsity players in Trammell, Redmond and Beckman
4. Serra (McDonald, Rees, Bartlewski, Fitz)
Lose Wilson, James, McCollum, Besse. Add several JVs from a strong team.
5. St. Francis (Landphere, Williams, Wilmer, Lopez, Yuan, Pedraza, Adzich)
Lose Logan Johnson, Manoa, Paulson. Add Ryan Daly
6. Bellarmine (Fontes, Denker, Elam, Kruse, Williams)
Lose Wojcik, Stubblefield, Metzger, Despie. Add players from a strong JV squad.
7. SHC (Flowers, Reed, Bow, Chen, Johns)
Lose Neal Jr., Monroe, Oglesby, Hudson. Add El Cerrito guard transfer?, frosh Jackson?
8. Valley Christian (Tovar, Dwelle, Santos, Loving-Black, Lang)
Lose Fini, Bryant, Julian, Davis, Heck. Add?

Monterey would be the heavy favorite in D3 CCS, should they be placed there and not the Open this year. They return 4 starters. SHC be a solid contender if Monterey goes to the Open.
My initial WCAL title projections are based on returning players from last season and projected additions. I like Renard Monroe's selections as well. Should be great games of the contenders between Mitty, Riordan SI and Serra

7. SHC (Flowers, Reed, Bow, Chen, Johns)
Lose Neal Jr., Monroe, Oglesby, Hudson. Add El Cerrito guard transfer?, frosh Jackson?

I just put my face in my hands just reading that part. El Cerrito transfer I remember reading before is a 6'0 guard. Cant remember his name. They added Devin Mims from their frosh team last year. Evan Branch-Haynes will likely join after football season is over unless he (outside influences) decide to be football only. Tyrice Ivy is a likely add after football as well. As I've said before about MacKay, his staple is doing more with less talent. Relying on team than star players. Lets get the show started!

Smh... two 1st team all league players on the same team. Enough said on that...Kori McCoy is the El Cerrito transfer. I have coached him since the 6th grade. Oscar Cheng is SHC's big fella also played on my "B" team.
Serra adds a 6"9 transfer from Woodside Priory in Muti Shuman, will be the strongest basketball player in the WCAL.

Smh... two 1st team all league players on the same team. Enough said on that...Kori McCoy is the El Cerrito transfer. I have coached him since the 6th grade. Oscar Cheng is SHC's big fella also played on my "B" team.
Serra adds a 6"9 transfer from Woodside Priory in Muti Shuman, will be the strongest basketball player in the WCAL.
Yes. Indeed. Looking forward to an exciting season!
The upcoming Gridley Tournament appears loaded with all the teams in the NorCal Top 20 except for Gridley - Sheldon, Salesian, Capital Christian, Dublin, Riordan, Logan, St. Joe's and Branson! Bummed that Bryce won't yet be eligible to play.
Sheldon and Modesto Christian are a strong 1-2 in NorCal. All the other teams appear significantly below them...

Yes. Indeed. Looking forward to an exciting season!
The upcoming Gridley Tournament appears loaded with all the teams in the NorCal Top 20 except for Gridley - Sheldon, Salesian, Capital Christian, Dublin, Riordan, Logan, St. Joe's and Branson! Bummed that Bryce won't yet be eligible to play.
Sheldon and Modesto Christian are a strong 1-2 in NorCal. All the other teams appear significantly below them...
CAPITAL Christian is not in Gridley

SHC (Flowers, Reed, Bow, Chen, Johns)
Lose Neal Jr., Monroe, Oglesby, Hudson. Add El Cerrito guard transfer?,

I saw the Alumni games. Amin Olgelsby, LyRyan Russell, Herman Pratt, Gary Hudson, Jazmine Jackson, Kiki Moore and Brianna Smith played for the Alumni.

Irish varsity starting five looked good. I saw Ray Jackson on the JV team.

I saw the Alumni games. Amin Olgelsby, LyRyan Russell, Herman Pratt, Gary Hudson, Jazmine Jackson, Kiki Moore and Brianna Smith played for the Alumni.

Irish varsity starting five looked good. I saw Ray Jackson on the JV team.

I’m assuming the starting 5 is Reed, Flowers, the transfer from EC, Mims and Cheng?

I’m assuming the starting 5 is Reed, Flowers, the transfer from EC, Mims and Cheng?
Looks like Reed, Cheng, Flowers, Mims and the EC transfer is Kori McCoy. He's a Junior. The Alumnae girls played before this game and some played during the boys game. Jazmine Jackson, Briannah Smith and Kiki Moore played. Jazmine Jackson hit a three.

The crowd was over 100 but not a lot of alums played.

Last edited:
Looks like Reed, Cheng, Flowers, Mims and the EC transfer is Kori McCoy. He's a Junior. The Alumnae girls played before this game and some played during the boys game. Jazmine Jackson, Briannah Smith and Kiki Moore played. Jazmine Jackson hit a three.

The crowd was over 100 but not a lot of alums played.

I would not be surprised if the Irish come out and win vs Stuart Hall on Saturday. This year’s team will be very scrappy. The two transfers McCoy and McCormack look very polished. Reed and Flowers are tough glue guys and work very hard defensively. The issue will be can SH score enough without bonafide scorers they had in Bryce and EJ?

Reactions: Scott2138
I just put my face in my hands just reading that part. El Cerrito transfer I remember reading before is a 6'0 guard. Cant remember his name. They added Devin Mims from their frosh team last year. Evan Branch-Haynes will likely join after football season is over unless he (outside influences) decide to be football only. Tyrice Ivy is a likely add after football as well. As I've said before about MacKay, his staple is doing more with less talent. Relying on team than star players. Lets get the show started!
Jackson, Dowling and Branch--Haynes are all on the JV's. McCormick is a former frosh football player now on the Varsity.

Jackson, Dowling and Branch--Haynes are all on the JV's. McCormick is a former frosh football player now on the Varsity.
Riordan's JVs (coached by Rich Forslund) win the Crusader Classic by edging Serra. The Crusaders have 3 frosh on the roster.
Riordan Frosh A's lose by 2 against Piedmont's JVs and Frosh B lose to Piedmont's lone Frosh team.

Riordan's JVs (coached by Rich Forslund) win the Crusader Classic by edging Serra. The Crusaders have 3 frosh on the roster.
Riordan Frosh A's lose by 2 against Piedmont's JVs and Frosh B lose to Piedmont's lone Frosh team.
I did see the SHC frosh scrimmage against Lincoln. There's some talent out there. I was surprised there were so many people attending a 10am scrimmage. I suspect most of them were parents and family members. A lot of cameras were out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT