ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL in Review - Looking Forward to 2019-20 Season

Fortunate for Crusaders to face Lancers at home with two starters out (for SF). SF guards totally overwhelmed in 1st Qtr. Took full advantage in half court pressure (outstanding). Riordan perimeter just dominated and made a statement. I say still a year away, but they played as if they want a shot at a title two in a row. Hard not to overlook VC with Serra game on horizon.

Tough loss last night by Irish but a promising outlook. I picked Mitty to be league champ this year and SH very well could have came out yesterday with a win on the road. Up 2 with less than a minute to go makes you wonder the team really needed a closer ...... yes, that would be Monroe.....

What's the deal with Tovar @VC? Physical tools check alot of boxes. Motor? Focus? I don't see him often but am always suprised with lack of production.
Also as an WCAL outsider, I'm very disappointed in SI. Seems like a team that peaks in June then the wheels fall off when it matters.
Trammel hid a lot of flaws. Hard for somebody to step up after a 3 year point guard leave. Tall but very soft in paint. A series of role players without a dominate scorer.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Don't think the missing SF players would have made a difference last night. The lead was up to 40 points when Riordan took their foot off the pedal midway 3rd quarter. Crusader guards have too much speed, can drive and shoot the 3. Riiny's status is problematic with the current gov't shutdown stalemate as they will need some additional depth in the front court next week.

Trammel hid a lot of flaws. Hard for somebody to step up after a 3 year point guard leave. Tall but very soft in paint. A series of role players without a dominate scorer.
SF's Logan Johnson hid a lot of the Lancer's shortcomings as he created open shots for Yuan and others. I don't think Yuan came close to hitting a 3 last night with Riordan's smothering and physical switching D.

SF's Logan Johnson hid a lot of the Lancer's shortcomings as he created open shots for Yuan and others. I don't think Yuan came close to hitting a 3 last night with Riordan's smothering and physical switching D.

Yuan's 3 pt record for season could be in jeopardy this year as Mitty's Marcus Greene hit seven 3's last night.

Fortunate for Crusaders to face Lancers at home with two starters out (for SF). SF guards totally overwhelmed in 1st Qtr. Took full advantage in half court pressure (outstanding). Riordan perimeter just dominated and made a statement. I say still a year away, but they played as if they want a shot at a title two in a row. Hard not to overlook VC with Serra game on horizon.
Who were the two starters that didn't play?

J24, did Daly play for SF? I didnt watch. Based on the score, if he did play I would say he did not have any impact.
Yes. Daly started for the Lancers along with 6-5 Landphere. Good size and had some nice buckets for SF. All 3 SF bigs are physical, but Riordan's quick pace of play took them out of of the game.

I think WCAL title will be between Mitty and SI. Bellarmine graduated their stellar class so they should come back down to the rest of the league. Serra and St. Francis will be tough games for everyone because they are coached really well regardless of talent. Riordan if they can get production out of their post players will have a real good shot at winning league. SH and VC will duke it out at the bottom.

Mitty will have a more seasoned Mitchell this year to go along with Sapp, Bey, Vaughn and Aguilar. Likely the best starting 5 in league. SI is going to be tall and athletic with Cason, Begovich, Robinson 3-headed monster.
It's real early but this may need to be rethought a little bit. A little bit different look to Riordan now that #1 is Healthy. The backcourt put up 40+ last night in 3 quarters of play.
SHC will surprise a few people as I stated before , Two of the players, played for me . One players played for me , for 4 seasons.
Some of the WCAL teams scheduled some terrible preseason games and gave them a false sense of reality. My updated opinion on the finish outcome
1. Riordan
2.Bellarmine
3.Serra
4.Mitty
5.Sacred Heart
6. St.Ignatius
7. St.Francis
8.Valley Christian

It's real early but this may need to be rethought a little bit. A little bit different look to Riordan now that #1 is Healthy. The backcourt put up 40+ last night in 3 quarters of play.
SHC will surprise a few people as I stated before , Two of the players, played for me . One players played for me , for 4 seasons.
Some of the WCAL teams scheduled some terrible preseason games and gave them a false sense of reality. My updated opinion on the finish outcome
1. Riordan
2.Bellarmine
3.Serra
4.Mitty
5.Sacred Heart
6. St.Ignatius
7. St.Francis
8.Valley Christian
Looks about right. I'll update mine after the first half of the season.
SI really missing Trammel and the other guards from last year...Bellarmine continuing where they left off and Serra always a contender. Impressed with SHC last night. VC appears to be gaming the system for itself in scheduling a cupcake non-league schedule to ensure a postseason run. The Crusaders will need Riiny for added depth and length, so hoping this "delay" gets resolved ASAP. Could there be more help on way? ;)

Last edited:
1. Riordan
2.Bellarmine
3.Serra
4.Mitty
5.Sacred Heart
6. St.Ignatius
7. St.Francis
8.Valley Christian

Coach. Im all for winning all the games placed in front of you but Riordan would be better served to make their run in D3 Norcals/State. As talented as this team is from 1-10, they are a notch below Salesian and Sheldon and not even in same arena as Sierra Canyon, regardless if Bryce is healthy. If Riordan is in D3, I see them in the state finals.

Coach. Im all for winning all the games placed in front of you but Riordan would be better served to make their run in D3 Norcals/State. As talented as this team is from 1-10, they are a notch below Salesian and Sheldon and not even in same arena as Sierra Canyon, regardless if Bryce is healthy. If Riordan is in D3, I see them in the state finals.

D3 is no longer what it used to be, with just small schools. With competitive equity, there is no way a team like Riordan is not going to be placed into D1 if they don’t get one of the Open spots. All the teams get ranked 1-88, and Riordan will be in the top 20 for sure.

Reactions: SF_Mikey
D3 is no longer what it used to be, with just small schools. With competitive equity, there is no way a team like Riordan is not going to be placed into D1 if they don’t get one of the Open spots. All the teams get ranked 1-88, and Riordan will be in the top 20 for sure.
I don't know where they will be placed. Riordan gave Salesian the best game they got in Gridley. Bryce was doing therapy and Chryotherapy just to suit up and still put up 19 points versus two of the top Defensive guards in NorCal. After Gridley he was out for two weeks. Salesian is the barometer though. Good kids and Good coaching.
Wishing good things for all the teams. I hope they make it fair at the end of the day.
Either way if Riordan or whoever makes a run ...I hope we represent well at State Finals...Norcal needs a feel good. SHC will be D3 and make a run...St.Ignatius?
Too early...good conversations though

Last edited:
I don't know where they will be placed. Riordan gave Salesian the best game they got in Gridley. Bryce was doing therapy and Chryotherapy just to suit up and still put up 19 points versus two of the top Defensive guards in NorCal. After Gridley he was out for two weeks. Salesian is the barometer though. Good kids and Good coaching.
Wishing good things for all the teams. I hope they make it fair at the end of the day.
Either way if Riordan or whoever makes a run ...I hope we represent well at State Finals...Norcal needs a feel good. SHC will be D3 and make a run...St.Ignatius?
Too early...good conversations though

Did Bryce fly to Germany to get the Kobe’s PRP treatment? I think it worked !

Pedraza their 5-9 pg and 6-2 Wilmer sat out. Again, I don't see 30 points between them.
Pedraza and Wilmer could swing the score 20+ points, but you might be right, 30 would be a stretch, but you never know as they're both strong defenders as well as able scorers, and Pedraza settles the floor at the point.

Reactions: jordan24
* Non-League Friday, Jan 4th, 7:30pm

1. St. Francis @ Woodside (non-league) Lancers get the win in preparation for Serra the following night. Can this be a tune-up game as it brings back their injured players? Winner: St Francis
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WCAL Game #2 Saturday Jan 5th (all games at 6:30pm):

1. Mitty @ St. Ignatius - 'Cats with their backs up against a wall. Who has the advantage? Si's Bigs or Mitty's wing players? 'Cats and Monarchs go down to the wire. Winner: St. Ignatius
  2. Riordan @ Valley Christian - Crusaders visit the Warriors on their Hilltop campus. Could be a trap game for Riordan with Tuesday's Serra game looming. Tovar needs to bounce back and have a dominating game to have a chance...Winner: Riordan
  3. Bellarmine @ SHC - SHC took Mitty to the wire on the road. Does home cooking put the Irish over the top vs. another strong edition of the Bells? Winner: Bellarmine
  4. Serra @ St. Francis - Lancers will need a full and healthy roster to hold off a strong Padres squad. Will be interesting to see Serra's bigs vs. SF's bigs. Winner: Serra

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WCAL Game #2 Saturday Jan 5th (all games at 6:30pm)

1. Bellarmine @ SHC - SHC took Mitty to the wire on the road. Does home cooking put the Irish over the top vs. another strong edition of the Bells? Winner: Bellarmine
After 46 seasons, I guarantee there's no such thing as "home cookin'" at SHC.

Have to agree. Next to Valley Christian, SHC is the least intimidating place to play. Very little fan support besides parents and friends. They get up for one game (Bruce-Mahoney Game) and that's it.
I meant the officiating (don't read this shcguy92), but you're right about the crowds. It's as though they're imported Dodger fans. I'll see a great play and be the only one applauding.

(Geez.... told ya not to read it, moron...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
I meant the officiating (don't read this shcguy92), but you're right about the crowds. It's as though they're imported Dodger fans. I'll see a great play and be the only one applauding.

What happened to the cheering section or the spirit section, they only come out for Bruce Mahoney...sad..the last time I saw it packed was the 2012 game against Mitty (gordon) what a game that was....Do they allow parking at Cathedral?

Tough loss last night by Irish but a promising outlook. I picked Mitty to be league champ this year and SH very well could have came out yesterday with a win on the road. Up 2 with less than a minute to go makes you wonder the team really needed a closer ...... yes, that would be Monroe.....

I agree with this...one can only wonder what the IRISH this season will be like with Monroe still there? But then again, you can make the argument did this IRISH team play better with or without him this season? It looks like the latter. As good as Monroe was, the IRISH team seem to depend on him solely vs playing better as a whole team the last couple of years. Time will tell...Oscar Cheng seem to improve leaps and bounds over last year and Flowers has improved too. Also, have to wonder why Osin didn't play his junior or sophomore years instead of getting cut. I think if Osin was there last year, Monroe and Neal wouldn't have to work so hard offensively.

Osin never came out for the team, Bryce convinced him to come out. His main sport was soccer. Just some insight for you. The cupboard isn't bare at SHC. It just didn't work out for Ryan Daly, Emmett and Bryce. I wish it would have but it didn't. Bryce is smiling again and for me , that's all that matters. Sacred Heart has some tough players over there. Ej and Bryce were special talents to lose, people don't have to admit it, but know it's TRUE. Bryce is a junior and so is Ryan Daly. SHC is relying on a lot of seniors right now. Not sure how your set up for the following season but we will see. Great to see that big O is coming into his own. Wish those kids the best except when they play Riordan!

Interesting, .you do not see much "hero ball" with the Crusaders. Though, they have excellent one on one players in Clark and Monroe...
Think about if the Irish still had Monroe, Neal and Daly...

Interesting, .you do not see much "hero ball" with the Crusaders. Though, they have excellent one on one players in Clark and Monroe...
Bryce and Emmett didn't play hero ball last year either. The objective is to win the game...play tough all you want, be right there...almost only counts in horseshoes.
Bryve had 23 points opening WCAl play in 3 quarters . Was he playing hero ball or is the kid talented?

Bryce and Emmett didn't play hero ball last year either. The objective is to win the game...play tough all you want, be right there...almost only counts in horseshoes.
Bryve had 23 points opening WCAl play in 3 quarters . Was he playing hero ball or is the kid talented?

Just to be clear...yes, to win is the objective, and you can argue SHC didn't win enough last year. I agree Monroe, Neil, Daly, etc are good players. This was just a debate if he was still at SHC would the rest of the players be playing on the same level now?. Sometimes it just doesn't work and the chemistry is not there. Monroe is a good player etc, that speaks for itself, Im making a point that this team today arguably without him appears to be playing better as a whole or better "team" ball simply because they are playing and not relying on him as it appeared last year. For example, the big guy, Cheng seems to be leaps and bounds better than last year where he was an afterthought if anything. Maybe, the credit or the blame has to do with the coaching? I also mentioned if Osin was on the team last year he would have been a valuable addition where the pressure on Monroe, Neil etc would have lessened but I was not aware he didn't try out. I think the young frosh and sophs are good but one of them needs to have a good year on Varsity this year and hopefully that would be Mims, Jackson, or the other Soph on the team this year. The Frosh A are doing pretty well, and nice to see Josh Fox, class of 2012 coaching out there!!!

Last edited:
SHC is playing better this season. Yes, Bryce is a very talented player. No one can deny that. But what kind of “team” play was there last season when literally the ONLY offensive play they ever ran was an isolation play for Bryce? But i blame that on the coach, NOT the players. That team last year had more than it’s fair share of fights among teammates and arguments and “every man himself offense.” Again, the coach should have handled this better. Whatever the case may be, the IRish are playing damn good team basketball, period. I think they will surprise a lot of teams in WCAL play.

Is the game being streamed tonite? Theres no way I make that drive in this weather for a possible trap game. Im looking ahead (falling for the trap) but Riordan needs to make a statement in the Jungle.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
So let's be clear Kori McCoy played for me for 4 seasons, Oscar Cheng 2 seasons. That's all I will say on that other than I wonder how they found a way across the bridge passed all these other schools in the bay area. You can't develop on the bench. Oscar barely got minutes last season...was ineligible for the first part due to transfer. SHC ran a dribble , drive offense last season. This year they run the flex. They didn't have a isolation play for Bryce at SHC,may have looked like it. They ran staggered screen for EJ and a Pin down for Amin. Everything else was dribble , drive.
But you guys are right. I am not arguing anything at all just saying what it is.

SHC is playing better this season. Yes, Bryce is a very talented player. No one can deny that. But what kind of “team” play was there last season when literally the ONLY offensive play they ever ran was an isolation play for Bryce? But i blame that on the coach, NOT the players. That team last year had more than it’s fair share of fights among teammates and arguments and “every man himself offense.” Again, the coach should have handled this better. Whatever the case may be, the IRish are playing damn good team basketball, period. I think they will surprise a lot of teams in WCAL play.
In defense of the Coach, he did try some things to bring the team together. It just didn't work. SHC is better off without Bryce there and vis versa.

I really liked Beckman and Redmond albeit to a lesser extent as well. Their overall size will give some teams real problems but guard play other than Wrenn will be an issue. Don't think they have (m)any real good 3 point shooters either.

So let's be clear Kori McCoy played for me for 4 seasons, Oscar Cheng 2 seasons. That's all I will say on that other than I wonder how they found a way across the bridge passed all these other schools in the bay area. You can't develop on the bench. Oscar barely got minutes last season...was ineligible for the first part due to transfer. SHC ran a dribble , drive offense last season. This year they run the flex. They didn't have a isolation play for Bryce at SHC,may have looked like it. They ran staggered screen for EJ and a Pin down for Amin. Everything else was dribble , drive.
But you guys are right. I am not arguing anything at all just saying what it is.
Yes it looked like an iso for Bryce every possession. Obviouly looks can be deceiving. That’s what it looked like but not necessarily what it was. No one is taking anything away from Bryce. He’s an extremely talented kid and I hope he goes far in his playing career.

I
In defense of the Coach, he did try some things to bring the team together. It just didn't work. SHC is better off without Bryce there and vis versa.
agree 100 percent. Sometimes it’s just not a good fit. Wish him nothing but health and a long playing career.

What happened to the cheering section or the spirit section, they only come out for Bruce Mahoney...sad..the last time I saw it packed was the 2012 game against Mitty (gordon) what a game that was....Do they allow parking at Cathedral?
You can park at the St. Mary's Cathedral lot on game nights. Franklin usually has spots as well as Gough near the Cathedral. I wouldn't recommend Geary. The AMC Theatre lot is a good choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT