ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Season Finale - Mitty and Riordan Co-champions!

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
An interesting non-league to say the least, that appears to have leveled the playing field…Recent news of King Wilhite’s surprise mid-season departure, transfers now coming off their sit-out periods and some key injuries are in play as league play kicks off. Who you got?
Projected 2023 Finish
  1. Mitty and Riordan - Tie
  2. Serra
  3. St. Ignatius
  4. St. Francis
  5. SHC
  6. Bellarmine
  7. Valley Christian
Week 1 Games
  • Mitty @ Bellarmine
  • Riordan @ St. Ignatius
  • SHC @ Serra
  • Valley Christian @ St. Francis

Mitty and Riordan appear to be the favorites. Mitty gets a 6-3 transfer eligible. Riordan gets transfers in 6-3 jr. Kaia Berridge, 6-5 jr. Nate Tshamala and jr 6-8 Lolo Ta’aga. Serra appears to getting 2 transfers eligible. St. Francis loses 6-8 Dallas Washington to transfer. Don’t know about the remaining teams, but there are quite amount of freshman expected to make major contributions to their teams. SI has 3 freshman that could start in Labagh, Whitley and Hutcherson. Riordan has 2freshman in Hilman with an offer already from UCSB. Kuminga, kid brother of the Dubs’, Jonathan, expected to make his debut on Wednesday. Mitty dealing with injuries to Derek Sangster and Paran. Not sure their status for return, but it seems it has not hurt the Monarch’s play. Here’s to a great 2023 season!

Last edited:
Reactions: Streak One
An interesting non-league to say the least, that appears to have leveled the playing field…Recent news of King Wilhite’s surprise mid-season departure, transfers now coming off their sit-out periods and some key injuries are in play as league play kicks off. Who you got?
Projected 2023 Finish
  2. Serra
  3. St. Ignatius
  4. St. Francis
  5. SHC
  6. Bellarmine
  7. Valley Christian
Week 1 Games
  • Mitty @ Bellarmine
  • Riordan @ St. Ignatius
  • SHC @ Serra

Mitty and Riordan appear to be the favorites. Mitty gets a 6-3 transfer eligible. Riordan gets transfers in 6-3 jr. Kaia Berridge, 6-5 jr. Nate Tshamala and jr 6-8 Lolo Ta’aga. Serra appears to getting 2 transfers eligible. St. Francis loses 6-8 Dallas Washington to transfer. Don’t know about the remaining teams, but there are quite amount of freshman expected to make major contributions to their teams. SI has 3 freshman that could start in Labagh, Whitley and Hutcherson. Riordan has 2freshman in Hilman with an offer already from UCSB. Kuminga, kid brother of the Dubs’, Jonathan, expected to make his debut on Wednesday. Mitty dealing with injuries to Derek Sangster and Paran. Not sure their status for return, but it seems it has not hurt the Monarch’s play. Here’s to a great 2023 season!
Besides McDowell, what transfer does Serra have? Its MaxPreps roster has 47 players on it, including guys who graduated 4 years ago.

Besides McDowell, what transfer does Serra have? Its MaxPreps roster has 47 players on it, including guys who graduated 4 years ago.
@parkdale sounded like more than one transfer from Ryan Pettis post game interview with Ethan Kassel.

its raining.. i dont think i can do that walk with the girl i am going with. i will never hear the end of it. lollllllllll.
does your date know you will be not cheering for the home team? how sad you wont get to voice your fun loving hate for Curry as he is not playing. lol

does your date know you will be not cheering for the home team? how sad you wont get to voice your fun loving hate for Curry as he is not playing. lol
He saw a good one though! Double OT battle. As Kiddman likes to say,
Free Basketball!

Hope that gal didn't drag ya home before the game ended... Well, unless, um... something good happened for ya...

He saw a good one though! Double OT battle. As Kiddman likes to say,
Free Basketball!
it was pretty entertaining. although it seems oracle and hegenberger had a different element.
as for parking, we parked at UCSF parking structure up the block and it was free.

Hope that gal didn't drag ya home before the game ended... Well, unless, um... something good happened for ya...
at halftime i was ready but her aunt is a dancer for the senior warriors dance crew and they performed after the 3rd quarter so had to stay.
i did see a few people leaving at the end of the 4th and in OT though. But you know that is because half the warriors fans are brand new so they dont realize in the nba no lead is safe. thats the bandwagon for you

at halftime i was ready but her aunt is a dancer for the senior warriors dance crew and they performed after the 3rd quarter so had to stay.
i did see a few people leaving at the end of the 4th and in OT though. But you know that is because half the warriors fans are brand new so they dont realize in the nba no lead is safe. thats the bandwagon for you
Thats actually my favorite highlight of the home games when the old moms do the dance routine. Energy is awesome and shows everyone they still go the moves!

Half the Warriors fans brand new? I think not, maybe more like 5%... Even the bandwagon-jumpers have had almost ten years to get on said bandwagon, but every Dubs fan I know has been a fan for many more years than that.

Half the Warriors fans brand new? I think not, maybe more like 5%... Even the bandwagon-jumpers have had almost ten years to get on said bandwagon, but every Dubs fan I know has been a fan for many more years than that.
i sat there looking around and seriously i dont think anyone sitting in my row actually ever played basketball a day in their life.
and it is def more than 5% that are bandwagoners. the whole country of the philiipines were lakers/heat fans before they all the sudden been warriors fans.

There are a LOT of people who've never played basketball who like the game

Warrior games were sell outs for the most part even during the lean years.
stop it. i played in a high school game in front of more fans at the oracle or whatever it was called then. sure people were there, but people in vermont and north dakota werent claiming to be warriors fans their whole lives.

Back to the original topic of this thread:
Tonight’s games (7:30pm)
  • Mitty @ Bellarmine
    • The Bells Alex Sarrett makes his WCAL HC debut against the Monarchs. Bells have been competitive in all of their losses. Mitty expecting Derek Sangster back based on recent reporting, but have been pretty impressive beating De la Salle (injured early) and Jesuit without him. Mitty’s 2 losses all come from out of area teams.
  • Riordan @ St. Ignatius
    • RIordan’s senior star transfers mid season. SI Coach suspended for 2 games. What else do you need to be intrigued in this game tonight? Expected debuts for Riordan of transfer Kaia Berridge and freshman Alex Kuminga. Should be an interesting match up of SI’s 3 freshman and RIordan’s 2. Looking forward to senior big men John Squire for SI and Riordan’s Christian Wise square off.
  • SHC @ Serra
    • From reporting, Serra gets 2 transfers eligible. Not sure about the Irish, but they do have football stars Jerry Mixon, RL Miller, Patton and Calonico to lend some physicality and scoring against the Padres in the always daunting Jungle.
    • Have not really followed both teams but VC comes in at .500 and SF has 2 losses. Both teams’ SOS have been ok, so league should really determine how these teams really shape up.

Haven’t seen an update for tonight’s SI-Riordan game. Here’s the streaming info.

Projected 2023 Finish
  2. Serra
  3. St. Ignatius
  4. St. Francis
  5. SHC
  6. Bellarmine
  7. Valley Christian
Week 1 Games
  • Mitty @ Bellarmine
  • Riordan @ St. Ignatius
  • SHC @ Serra

Question for WCAL insiders...... how much will King Wilhites absence affect the league race and Riordans chances of winning the WCAL?

Question for WCAL insiders...... how much will King Wilhites absence affect the league race and Riordans chances of winning the WCAL?
From what I've seen in non-league, Wilhite had the green light whenever he wanted. He also got to his spots with relative ease. The team really started excelling when they moved the ball around and got Wise the ball down low. At times it felt like Wilhite and Rencher took turns eating. Then you would see how talented the others were (Hilman & Tshamala) when they trickle into the offense. I dont expect too much drop off. I still see Riordan going 12-2 or 11-3 at worst. We'll see how good Rencher really is if its a close game and he has ISO top of the key.

I could see an advantage for Riordan as teams have geared up to stop Wilhite. I see the ball moving around a lot more rather than iso. Wise can be a problem down low and the other players all can pass, shoot, drive and defend. As long as the players stay within themselves they should be good.

Reactions: M.C. fan
Wednesday Night’s Results
Valley Christian 51 St. Francis 77
Mitty 71 Bellarmine 57
Riordan 63 St. Ignatius 52
Sacred Heart Cathedral - Serra (Postponed)

SI-Riordan game not as close as score indicates. Riordan double digit lead from middle of second quarter. Kaia Berridge quite impressive. He will make up for the loss of Wilhite and then some.

Reactions: M.C. fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT