ADVERTISEMENT

Week 2 Scoreboard

Sounds like Bellarmine isn't ready to make the jump up the ladder just yet.

Did they really blow a three TD lead?

Sounds like Bellarmine isn't ready to make the jump up the ladder just yet.

Did they really blow a three TD lead?
Amazing, huh. But it sort of the other way around though - MA came alive in the second half. The first quarter (and 2/3 of the first half), MA was anemic with a seemingly weak defense and an ineffective offense line. But that all changed with the JD reverse sweep score. MA became a different team in the scan of a few minutes.

According to this article, he was named Coach of the Year in 4 different sections; and he did coach in Texas a couple years.

Reactions: bella123
Foltmer is on deck to join the 300 club. He’s like 4 shy, so probably will happen in a few weeks!

True, but remember Folsom fumbled the tying TD through the back of the end zone. Should have been 17-17, though I agree Serra controlled most of the game
Mistakes happen throughout games, the teams that make the fewest usually win. They also are usually the better coached and better team period.

Reactions: concrete17
Mistakes happen throughout games, the teams that make the fewest usually win. They also are usually the better coached and better team period.
Give credit to that Serra defender who made the play by putting the hit on the Folsom RB that caused the Folsom player to fumble the ball. Easy TD if the Serra player did not make that hit.

Watching Jurrion Dickey personally shred the Bellarmine defense with a performance for the ages Saturday in Atherton, one thing is clear: WCAL teams (including the Bells) have to be pleased that this kid (man) is no longer on the Valley Christian roster. For the Bears, Dickey played WR, DB and RB. He also returned kicks. He was a one-man wrecking crew. The Bells had a 27-7 lead late in the first half. Then the roof caved in. M-A outscored the Bells, 41-7, the rest of the way, roughly 28 minutes of sheer hell. The Bellarmine faithful could only gape in silence as this disaster unfolded in front of them. It was an unmitigated nightmare. The final score: 48-34. Bellarmine isn't awful at all. It's just that the dynamic presence of Dickey, at 6-3 and 220 pounds and blessed with stunning speed, power and agility, was too much to handle. He scored four TD's, defended in the secondary and was a scary threat every time he touched the melon. Somehow eligible right off the bat, this guy is going to make the PAL a personal showcase in 2022. Then come the playoffs where, sure enough, WCAL powers like St. Francis, Serra and, yes, maybe even Bellarmine, await. If Dickey can stay healthy (and, presumably, eligible), M-A is poised for a wild ride. Fasten your seatbelt.

Watching Jurrion Dickey personally shred the Bellarmine defense with a performance for the ages Saturday in Atherton, one thing is clear: WCAL teams (including the Bells) have to be pleased that this kid (man) is no longer on the Valley Christian roster. For the Bears, Dickey played WR, DB and RB. He also returned kicks. He was a one-man wrecking crew. The Bells had a 27-7 lead late in the first half. Then the roof caved in. M-A outscored the Bells, 41-7, the rest of the way, roughly 28 minutes of sheer hell. The Bellarmine faithful could only gape in silence as this disaster unfolded in front of them. It was an unmitigated nightmare. The final score: 48-34. Bellarmine isn't awful at all. It's just that the dynamic presence of Dickey, at 6-3 and 220 pounds and blessed with stunning speed, power and agility, was too much to handle. He scored four TD's, defended in the secondary and was a scary threat every time he touched the melon. Somehow eligible right off the bat, this guy is going to make the PAL a personal showcase in 2022. Then come the playoffs where, sure enough, WCAL powers like St. Francis, Serra and, yes, maybe even Bellarmine, await. If Dickey can stay healthy (and, presumably, eligible), M-A is poised for a wild ride. Fasten your seatbelt.
M-A better stack up on corn dogs & Tri- tips at their Bear Grotto snack station, going to sell a lot of tickets to JD fans who want to claim that they "saw him when" as his successes grow.

Last edited:
Reactions: concrete17
He starts right now on almost any college roster.
He’s a pro.

A couple thoughts on a few of this past weeks games.

I attended the Rocklin-McQueen game. The Thunder were lethargic and trailed 7-6 at half before eventually running away with the game. This is the McQueen team that lost to Grant Union 42-0 the previous week.

There were a few bright spots such as SOPH WR Mavrik Collins, who topped 100 yard receiving with 2 TD's, and SR RB Elias Brown, who rushed for over 150 yards. Defensively SR DB Austin Adams continued to be a ballhawk, but the rest of the defense struggled at times to contain McQueen's SR QB Aron Hansen.

Hansen didn't amass huge statistical numbers, but was able to consistently escape the pocket to make plays. The Thunder pass rush was virtually non-existent. And when they did get pressure, Hansen usually escaped quite easily. Rocklin really misses their star LB #5 Derek Houston.

Moving on.....

While at the Rocklin-McQueen game, I checked in from time-to-time via stream on both the Folsom-Serra and DLS-Monterey Trail games.

I thought MT looked impressive. I don't pretend to know how strong DLS is or isn't this season, but they are still DLS. The Mustangs hanging in as they did shouldn't go overlooked.

At one point during Q4 the Mustangs narrowed the score to 22-20, making things very interesting.

I realize it was game #1 for the Spartans, but, still, these have typically been the types of games that are over at half with DLS piling up 50 or 60 points by the end of the game. While Sparty did win comfortably 36-20 -- major props to MT for playing a competitive game into Q4 -- which is sort of like a win in itself. With regard to NorCal and SJS section teams, that hasn't happened many times this millennium.

With regard to Folsom and Serra, I didn't get to see much of that game. But each time I checked in the game was close. I saw Folsom up early then again at 10-7. From the sound of it, Folsom really blew a chance to send the game into OT (at some point I plan to review these games in much more detail).

Regardless, the game score ended up super close just as you'd expect from 2 of NorCal's supposed best teams. We'll see how both teams respond over the course of the long season. For all we know, they could face each other again in December.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT