ADVERTISEMENT

who is going to be the top teams in Sacramento for 2016-17 season?

Going to be a down year. We've had some great teams the last few years. Folsom and Sac high were both state type teams. Sheldon wasn't exactly chop liver. All of these teams graduate a ton of talented players who are going on to playing college ball. I'm thinking Jesuit is going to be really strong. They lose Duffy but return a lot of good younger players. Agree about woodcreek assuming brown stays. Some up coming programs like Whitney return a good nucleus as well.

NorCal wise Salesian is loaded. Basically entire team returns after going 28-5 and losing in OT to eventual NorCal open champ dls. Wow!

I heard Jesuit may be losing a few key pieces, may not want to put them at #2 just yet. Sheldon seems to be the clear #1

Going to be a down year. We've had some great teams the last few years. Folsom and Sac high were both state type teams. Sheldon wasn't exactly chop liver. All of these teams graduate a ton of talented players who are going on to playing college ball. I'm thinking Jesuit is going to be really strong. They lose Duffy but return a lot of good younger players. Agree about woodcreek assuming brown stays. Some up coming programs like Whitney return a good nucleus as well.

NorCal wise Salesian is loaded. Basically entire team returns after going 28-5 and losing in OT to eventual NorCal open champ dls. Wow!
It's not going to be down year by any measure. Woodcreek was close to everyone this year and return basically their entire team. Sheldon has studs coming back plus bigs off the Jv team they will be very very good. Even with losing Duffy Jesuit should be improved as they were super young last year. Folsom has 2 stud guards transferring in so they will be much better then people think. Capital is loaded with talent as always. The only team that really drops off the map is sac hi. Should be a bunch of very good local teams.

WHitney does have a lot of returning players.They have their best players back and best shooter. He can really shoot the three. Not a lot size but their style will allow them to win a lot of games. They also have the experience of going to NORCALS last year. THey are in my top 5.

What guards are going to Folsom?

Also, what school are the 2 8th grade Soldier kids going to? Kyree Walker and Shemar Morrow, not 100% sure but I thought both were in Sac area... The off the backboard dunk by Kyree that was floating around the internet this weekend is insane.

Maybe we will see more parity but I don't see the talent like you did at Sac High and Folsom last year. You have a combined 7 or 8 kids that are playing college hoops off those teams plus a handful of underclassman that will eventually. You don't have anything like that next year.

I don't know about the transfer situation at Folsom but coach Wall runs a great program so you can bet they will play hard and win games. They have a couple good young kids returning. Forbes has a big upside.

Whitney is a program on the rise. Those kids have really bought into the system of playing 8-10 kids in waves. They need a little size to contend.

Capital Christian I forgot about. Good call. Lots of young players.

i hear
Country day to Folsom
6-10 coming to Capital?
As for Norcal watch out for Bishop Odowd

i hear
Country day to Folsom
6-10 coming to Capital?
As for Norcal watch out for Bishop Odowd
Heat where is the 6-10 kid from? Folsom is getting 2 of the CD guards. I have heard Williams is back at Sheldon again that will help you guys.

Woodcreek returns 4 starters that makes them clear #1. I go with Sheldon at #2 because they have the experience at guard position. After that it's all about development. Unless Jordan Brown is transferring which I would say he is not with the squad they have, don't see anyone else making a massive impact. I do like Capital but have to see if the mesh a little better this year. Watch out for Burbank. They have a nice core group, consistency is key for them.

Just saw that Kyree dunk video. That would be impressive for a senior or maybe even a college player. For an eighth-grader, that's just plain SICK!

Reactions: hoopjunkie21
Its a great dunk, but keep in mind the kid is a 16 year old "eighth grader". Still a very good player for any age.

I like Sheldon as the top Sacramento team. Agree with H.E.A.T. on Bishop O'dowd. Thought Richie did a great job last year with such a young team.

Reactions: Defender4212
If Kyree is 16 years old in 8th grade he will not be eligible to play his senior year. You have to be 18 years old at the start of your school year to be eligible.
Moreau needs chemistry guys not AAU all americans. There is only one ball for all of these superstars. Just ask Calipari!

If Kyree is 16 years old in 8th grade he will not be eligible to play his senior year. You have to be 18 years old at the start of your school year to be eligible.
Moreau needs chemistry guys not AAU all americans. There is only one ball for all of these superstars. Just ask Calipari!

Calipari says 2 national titles, 4 final fours .837 win % in 7 seasons.

Calipari has the best players in the nation and they don't win it every year. This year they lost in the second round! The most talent doesn't always win

Are they driving to junior high? Let me guess. Black escalade on 22's. Are they really 16 in 8th grade?

Calipari is greasy. Shower several times after being near him.

Morrow is headed to a school in Southern California last I heard.

Could be an active summer on the "transfer market"

16 in the 8th grade? GTFOH....cmon man, don't kill the kid like that unless you are speaking Facts. That's like a triple holdback...lol

FWIW, I went looking to see if I could find Walker's age anywhere, ie. recruiting websites, etc. I could only find one that clearly stated a birth year and also seemed to not be biased opinion-wise about players. That one site said 2001. It didn't say what time of year, so according to that info he's either 14 or 15.

Doesn't matter!!!! If he is 14 or 16, it was his parents not him who held him back. Stop with the personal attacks. Too many kids in the Bay Area are being scrutinized. It's always age or academics accusations without credible or factual information. Every African-American is not suffering from academic issues nor are they all "hold backs".

Reactions: Fentons Cream
bahahhhahahhahha.... Most overrated program in nor cal.

Here we go again......

Since Coach Knight has taken over at Moreau in 2010:

4 of the 6 years they have won 20+ games
They have been NCS Champs twice ( D-4 & D-3) 2014 & 2016
They lost in NCS Championship in 2015 to O'Dowd who went on to win the Open Crown
They have been Nor- Cal Champs (2014)
They reached the State Championship in 2014
They have played in the Open Division in consecutive years
Oscar Frayer to Grand Canyon
Terrell Brown to San Jose State
Brandon Lawrence to St. John's

This was a team that was horrible prior to his arrival.

Overrated is not the adjective I would use here. Im sure there are plenty of programs/coaches who would love to have that kind of success.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter!!!! If he is 14 or 16, it was his parents not him who held him back. Stop with the personal attacks. Too many kids in the Bay Area are being scrutinized. It's always age or academics accusations without credible or factual information. Every African-American is not suffering from academic issues nor are they all "hold backs".

Personally, I don't see what Kyree gains by playing at the eighth grade (14U) level and dunking on kids 6+'' shorter than him! The kid is incredibly talented but SHOULD be going into his junior year of high school instead of freshman year (held back twice from what I've heard). I'm sure he'll reclassify and move back up one grade in high school.

To me this epitomizes what's wrong with AAU basketball as it's definitely not a level playing field and for the vast majority of the kids having them play DOWN isn't doing them any favors. When they play against other elite players their age they don't look nearly as impressive. One thing that I agree with NS is that it all comes back to the parents who condone or encourage this behavior and once again for the vast majority of the kids - I believe it's a major disservice to them! <off soapbox>

I agree some of these teams are much improved and it is great to give them some hype. The problem with considering them as top teams is their strength of schedule. Until teams like VDL schedule top tier teams regularly and get some W's I can't consider them

I agree with you about the scheduling. Just was mentioning they had a good group returning. Last 2 losses of the year were to Manteca and O'Dowd. And it wasn't very close.

I watched them a time or two, and yeah sneaky good. Fail the eye test but get it done. They just make shots especially mid range, so it doesn't look splashy.

Great call on Vista. 21 win team and they literally have the entire group back. They also have size. Sometimes these teams don't wow you in warm ups and then when the ball goes up you realize they can flat out play.

Watched jesuit , sheldon, folsom, and whitney in the jesuit tourney this weekend. .they are avg at best this year. ..The surprise team that I saw is Cosumnes Oaks..played with 6 players all weekend and beat a very good Foothill team

I don't take much stock in some of these early summer games. You can clearly see the teams that were back in the gym in April as they have clear play sets and defenses, and teams that just got back to practicing in the past few weeks. I think a better picture will develop toward the end of this month, possibly culminating with the Franklin/Sheldon 70 team tournament

I don't take much stock in some of these early summer games. You can clearly see the teams that were back in the gym in April as they have clear play sets and defenses, and teams that just got back to practicing in the past few weeks. I think a better picture will develop toward the end of this month, possibly culminating with the Franklin/Sheldon 70 team tournament
I do think you are correct in that assessment. We can get somewhat of a clearer picture of who has been working this sumner...obviously there are some top teams that have football stars that haven't come to play, but it's a good time for your 2nd and 3rd teams to get some much needed work in

Watched jesuit , sheldon, folsom, and whitney in the jesuit tourney this weekend. .they are avg at best this year. ..The surprise team that I saw is Cosumnes Oaks..played with 6 players all weekend and beat a very good Foothill team
These June games mean nothing. Sheldon didn't have Duplechan, Jesuit was missing 3-4 starters. Some things I saw:

-Forbes from Folsom is really good and getting better. Bigger more athletic version Solomon Young

-Drew Hibbs and Tom Orlich out at Foothill and Clovis West respectively. 2 great coaches moving on

-Whitney has a good coaching staff and system in place and even though their talent will fluctuate year to year they will be consistently good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT