ADVERTISEMENT

Will IMG break "The Streak"?

SPortela24

Sports Fanatic
Aug 8, 2009
Obviously getting way ahead of ourselves here. The Streak ran all the way up to 151 games while the Ascenders are barely at 30. IMG openly recruits at a national level providing the best athletes in the nation and opportunity to train and live at Division 1 type facilities which gives them a leg up over even the biggest recruiting factories such as Gorman and Mater Dei.

We are years away from "The Steak" being in any imminent danger but IMG certainly has the money to put themselves in position to end it. Will the Ascenders be the team to dethrone the Spartans?

9/21 They're at Mater Dei. That is basically a D1 Collegiate game. I truly hope MD gets a big W, I've been watching some IMG clips and they appear to be a little full of themselves.

I got MD in this one. Not a fan of either of these models for football, and I don't think we should even be glorifying or giving this game publicity. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: HereWeGo2019
IMG made some comments in the offseason about west coast football and then this game was scheduled a month later.

I'm taking Mater Dei in this one, especially after their destruction of Bishop Gorman.

An academy like IMG should not be allowed to have the records count in the hs compilation of wins. They are NOT a high school. I wish all the nationally relevant high school programs would refuse to play IMG.

Reactions: remc and Fireallday
An academy like IMG should not be allowed to have the records count in the hs compilation of wins. They are NOT a high school. I wish all the nationally relevant high school programs would refuse to play IMG.

Well, this is the last time CA programs can play them. Beginning next season, the CIF has banned its teams from scheduling schools that don't participate in their state playoffs. That includes: IMG, Findlay Prep and Oak Hill Academy.

Texas and Georgia already have bylaws or agreements not to schedule IMG. I believe there are several other states doing the same.

If the trend continues, along with the fact that IMG can't compete in postseason games in their own state of Florida, it could greatly reduce the elite athletes they've been attracting.

Right now all they've really got going for them is the ability to build an elite regular season schedule to showcase the talent. But if they're left to schedule middling programs from non-power states with no chance to showcase in the postseason, there won't be much of a point anymore.

Reactions: THEOC89
Well, this is the last time CA programs can play them.
Put schools like MD and Bosco in with IMG. Make them ineligible for the playoffs. They can only play out of state schools. That may cause some of the transfer train to reconsider and level the playing field a bit more.

I think everyone is pulling for MD but their morals aren't much better.

MD's recruiting is a direct result of trying to keep with with IMG and Gorman as well as trying to enact revenge on De La Salle.

Although MDs approach to be competitive is lacking a degree of integrity, they essentially are within “the law.” They are leveraging an opportunity, not unlike a lot of other programs.

Reactions: observer22
Ill be in la and san diego that weekend so im looking forward to going to the game. I hope its a classic with MD winning at the end. I know their is a lot of talk about img and others teams like them, but honestly i think this could easily be the new future of hs football. California and any other state hs association can choose to ban their MEMBER schools from playing img type schools, but that doesnt stop MEMBER schools from withdrawing from their states hs association, like the cif, and create their own sports league/association/club. "If you build it they will come".

Put schools like MD and Bosco in with IMG. Make them ineligible for the playoffs. They can only play out of state schools. That may cause some of the transfer train to reconsider and level the playing field a bit more.

Man give it up you once said “ build it and they will come” that was your take after the sac bee article on the express and that was after a year of you denying knowing my anything about kids from Reno. You stated multiple times that what folsom has going athletic transferes in and out is a new way of high school football. And now you wanna discredit 2 privates schools because players want to play at the best two schools in so cal lol the sfl is littered with public schools with transfers. Do you think Jesuit is complaining about losing to a public school with more athletic transferes than them.

Man give it up you once said “ build it and they will come” that was your take after the sac bee article on the express and that was after a year of you denying knowing my anything about kids from Reno. You stated multiple times that what folsom has going athletic transferes in and out is a new way of high school football. And now you wanna discredit 2 privates schools because players want to play at the best two schools in so cal lol the sfl is littered with public schools with transfers. Do you think Jesuit is complaining about losing to a public school with more athletic transferes than them.
A transfer is someone who attended another school since their freshman year and transfers to another.

Our kids, even the ones you mention, are not transfers. They have attended since freshman year.

The SoCal schools you mention have real transfers. Kids who have attended one or multiple schools since freshman year and transfer. CIF defines those as transfers.

Do your research before you spread garbage.

Reactions: kiddman32
Obviously getting way ahead of ourselves here. The Streak ran all the way up to 151 games while the Ascenders are barely at 30. IMG openly recruits at a national level providing the best athletes in the nation and opportunity to train and live at Division 1 type facilities which gives them a leg up over even the biggest recruiting factories such as Gorman and Mater Dei.

We are years away from "The Steak" being in any imminent danger but IMG certainly has the money to put themselves in position to end it. Will the Ascenders be the team to dethrone the Spartans?

No top level team in HSFB will ever sniff 151 straight wins. Maybe a lower division type of team could pull that off because they wouldn't play a national type of schedule. DLS's streak was largely built through their play in their local region, and they Validated it by not dodging the big time teams that challenged them each year after they had already broken the national record. That is what made them so legendary and the streak so special.

Even BG's 55 game win streak will be difficult to match. Even though they beat up the teams in their own state they had 3 or 4 big time opponents each year and they finally met their match last year losing twice.

I would be surprised if IMG beats MD, making a 3000 mile trip to play a team full of all stars is a tough task, even if you have a bunch of your own all stars. I look back to when they payed Cen 10 a few years ago and won by 1 pt. That Cen 10 team had no defense, this MD team is a whole different animal.

Reactions: What in the
A transfer is someone who attended another school since their freshman year and transfers to another.

Our kids, even the ones you mention, are not transfers. They have attended since freshman year.

The SoCal schools you mention have real transfers. Kids who have attended one or multiple schools since freshman year and transfer. CIF defines those as transfers.

Do your research before you spread garbage.

If you move from one state to another for the sole reason of playing HS Football at a school of your choosing it more than Qualifies as transferable

Do your research before you spread garbage.[/QUOT

How do you know that the parents just didn’t move closer to those schools so their kid could have a better education I mean that wa the crap that you fed us about all the extras the folsom has and has gotten over the years or does the local paper have to make a article of that too. Either way if you’re playing a team that has too many great players don’t schedule them it’s simple atleast both teams play top teams and not dodge teams with similar talent.

You are spot on DD. I remember agreeing with cashisking when he shared his pointed views in regards to HS transfers. I ASSume cashisking doesn't believe "what's good for the goose is good for the gander".

If you move from one state to another for the sole reason of playing HS Football at a school of your choosing it more than Qualifies as transferable

Something we had to learn in the local paper we know who told us that they moved to folsom for s better living and played for the youth bulldogs. I guess the sac bee is still writing the article about the kids they get from south Sacramento and Elk Grove areas

You are spot on DD. I remember agreeing with cashisking when he shared his pointed views in regards to HS transfers. I ASSume cashisking doesn't believe "what's good for the goose is good for the gander".

He’s a coach most likely. But like I told him you’ll never hear a kid in those areas say they want to attend folsom those kids have a lot more to worry about than football. The kids are hand picked. We know who picked folsom so we left that narrative alone but we it’s the other ones that get glossed over. For a team to have 5 of its best players. Manly the only ones that determine the outcome of all of their games to be outsourced you’d think a fan or a coach would complain less about how other teams get their players

Reactions: What in the
Had dls played some of the grant, Nevada union, or Elk Grove teams of the 90's, I doubt the streak goes that high.

He’s a coach most likely. But like I told him you’ll never hear a kid in those areas say they want to attend folsom those kids have a lot more to worry about than football. The kids are hand picked. We know who picked folsom so we left that narrative alone but we it’s the other ones that get glossed over. For a team to have 5 of its best players. Manly the only ones that determine the outcome of all of their games to be outsourced you’d think a fan or a coach would complain less about how other teams get their players

Anyone involved in a program in any significant way wouldn't be on here so often posting the things he does. Head coaches would have caught wind and clamped down on that. It's usually the hanger ons and those desperate to be part of the group who yell the loudest. No need to hit the ignore button. Just read the nonsense, laugh at it, and move on.

Had dls played some of the grant, Nevada union, or Elk Grove teams of the 90's, I doubt the streak goes that high.

Anyone involved in a program in any significant way wouldn't be on here so often posting the things he does. Head coaches would have caught wind and clamped down on that. It's usually the hanger ons and those desperate to be part of the group who yell the loudest. No need to hit the ignore button. Just read the nonsense, laugh at it, and move on.
NU did play DLS and lost 44-0.....never played again....Just saying....give Folsom some credit...They tried and tried again....0-3 vs. DLS....

Gotta love this forum. Topic about IMG and MD........ and nothing but posts from Folsom.

The free publicity is cool though. If people are talking about you, you are doing something right. Keep the topic goin!

I consider it a win from an insider's perspective. Go Folsom!

Last edited:
What year was that?
GRASS VALLEY, Nevada County - De La Salle High of Concord ran its national high school record to 77 consecutive wins by routing Nevada Union, 48-13, before a crowd of more than 7,000 Friday night.

The Spartans rolled to a 27-0 first-quarter lead and pulled their starting backfield of quarterback Vince Padilla and halfbacks Atari Callen and D.J. Williams well before halftime.

Callen ran the opening kickoff back 82 yards and later added two more scores.

Padilla said of his backfield mates, "You look at how good these two are, how awesome, and you start thinking about getting their autographs now because they're going to be great after high school. Thank God they're on our side." 1998

NU did play DLS and lost 44-0.....never played again....Just saying....give Folsom some credit...They tried and tried again....0-3 vs. DLS....

Um....Actually, DLS and NU played at least twice (and maybe again in the 2000’s, not sure) in a Home and Home series in the late 90s (either 97/98 or 98/99). Those were not NU’s best teams at all. in fact, NU got throttled by BOTH DLS and that monster Elk Grove team with Lance Briggs in 1998. I think that EG team was probably the one SJS team, during DLSs great run, that matched up pretty well with the Spartans. Not saying they’d have won, but it would’ve been interesting. Still woulda loved watching Grant v DLS back in 06 too.

Here’s a cool read about what could’ve been some fun games
https://www.calhisports.com/2012/12...ision-bowl-games-had-been-going-on-for-years/

While I agree in premise that a football related move is in fact, a “transfer”, of sorts. Although when it happens before the kid is even enrolled in High School, I’m thinking it’s not quite the same as the transferring we see down in So Cal.

BTW, throwing the word ‘State’ for effect is a nice touch, but I’m guessing the drive from Reno, NV to Folsom, CA is just about the same as the drive from Sacramento, CA to Concord, CA, so I suppose DLSs stud Is now a ‘transfer’ too?

For the record, I really couldn’t care less as long as the kids are living where they say they are. More power to kids and families who can afford to make sacrifices and make a move for what they feel is best for their kids. I remember Grant picking up, via transfer, the star QB Chad Elliott from Nevada Union (their main rival back in the 90s). Ya know, not a lot of families were moving from Grass Valley to DPH back in the day. But I’m pretty sure Elliott’s dad moved into an apartment with him to make it ‘legit’. But when kids can just ransfer without any real sacrifices being made, seems it’s asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: cashisking18
Um....Actually, DLS and NU played at least twice (and maybe again in the 2000’s, not sure) in a Home and Home series in the late 90s (either 97/98 or 98/99). Those were not NU’s best teams at all. in fact, NU got throttled by BOTH DLS and that monster Elk Grove team with Lance Briggs in 1998. I think that EG team was probably the one SJS team, during DLSs great run, that matched up pretty well with the Spartans. Not saying they’d have won, but it would’ve been interesting. Still woulda loved watching Grant v DLS back in 06 too.

Here’s a cool read about what could’ve been some fun games
https://www.calhisports.com/2012/12...ision-bowl-games-had-been-going-on-for-years/
And none of those teams were better than that star studded Jackrabbits program in which DLS beat decisively in Veteran Stadium. DLS wins all of the games mentioned during that time because they had an equal amount of talented players if not better and Coach Lad on the sideline. Great debate but DLS is on another planet when it comes to NorCal football. Keep'n it 1,000.

And none of those teams were better than that star studded Jackrabbits program in which DLS beat decisively in Veteran Stadium

I appreciate the fact you’ve convinced yourself how good all these other undefeated Section Champs were (or WERE NOT in this specific statement you made) even though I’m guessing you never saw them play, or know little to nothing about them.

Solid Take

Last edited:
I like:
Grant: state title year
Folsom 2014
Elk Grove: Lance Briggs

When I moved here in the late 80s I started to watch the local teams. I was on the Elk Grove bandwagon for sure when Briggs was killin it there in the late 90s. Aw the good old days.

All 3 had a great shot. But I'd say 2016 Folsom had a pretty good showing :)

Last edited:
BTW, throwing the word ‘State’ for effect is a nice touch, but I’m guessing the drive from Reno, NV to Folsom, CA is just about the same as the drive from Sacramento, CA to Concord, CA, so I suppose DLSs stud Is now a ‘transfer’ too?

I didn’t throw in the word state.It is another state last I checked.You on the other hand trying to somehow legitimize such a transfer by comparing an in state drive is definitely a throw in

I didn’t throw in the word state.It is another state last I checked.You on the other hand trying to somehow legitimize such a transfer by comparing an in state drive is definitely a throw in

Not legitimizing anything. As I mentioned above, I personally don’t see any issues with you (or others) using the word ‘transfer’, when referring to kids who’ve moved to a new town (or State) in order to play for a particular team or coach. More power to them if they can afford to do so.

However, I will continue to believe there isn’t any difference from renting a condo 100 miles away to play football, regardless of the state.

I think everyone is pulling for MD but their morals aren't much better.

MD's recruiting is a direct result of trying to keep with with IMG and Gorman as well as trying to enact revenge on De La Salle.

Yeah, I don't quite agree. If we're talking matters of degree, IMG is a lot worse than Mater Dei. It's not close.

Do I like what routinely happens down in SoCal? Absolutely not. I still struggle to understand why the rules are applied differently in SoCal than NorCal wherein a kid like Cole Hannum (several years ago) can be ruled ineligible for his entire Senior season up North for something that goes on weekly down South.

That said, at least the schools down South are largely getting kids from their geographical area. They're not actively recruiting the best athletes from the best programs all around the country like IMG. That's at an entirely different level. Hell, even Bishop Gorman has toed that line in the past decade. They've been siphoning kids out of SoCal for a while now. I believe they've even tip-toed into Texas.

NU did play DLS and lost 44-0.....never played again....Just saying

That's not correct. They played twice on a home and home. And not quite the correct score for either game.
48-14 in 1997 at DLS and 48-13 in 1998 at NU. They weren't shut out.

It is noteworthy that from 1988 through 2006, the 1997 and 1998 seasons happened to be 2 worst teams the Miners fielded. 6-5 in 1997 and 5-4-1 in 1998.They went 9-1 and 10-1-1 in the seasons before (1996) and after (1999). Just bad luck in scheduling good match ups for DLS per usual.

They tried and tried again....0-3 vs. DLS....

0-3 but making progress and showing vast improvement. There are a lot of programs in the NCS that have faced DLS 25+ times and never played a close one. If Folsom is able to keep scheduling them, they'll break down that door sooner than later. Perhaps even next season, who knows.

No top level team in HSFB will ever sniff 151 straight wins.

If IMG somehow manages to get through this season unbeaten, they may challenge that record. Since the top programs from CA, TX and GA won't or can't play them -- they will largely face competition they are heavy favorites against. That streak could really grow.

But here's hoping MD ends it now.

Maybe a lower division type of team could pull that off because they wouldn't play a national type of schedule.

A great example of that locally was Central Catholic-Modesto's 62-game streak (including a forfeit that some don't count) from 2001 - 2005. Cardinal Newman was the highest profile win on that resume.

Even BG's 55 game win streak will be difficult to match. Even though they beat up the teams in their own state they had 3 or 4 big time opponents each year and they finally met their match last year losing twice.

Most impressive to me was Allen, TX 57-game streak that ended 3 years ago. Going through the Texas Regional and State playoffs each season. IMO, that streak might be more impressive than DLS's 151 that didn't include Regional/State playoff games.

Reactions: THEOC89
throwing the word ‘State’ for effect is a nice touch, but I’m guessing the drive from Reno, NV to Folsom, CA is just about the same as the drive from Sacramento, CA to Concord, CA, so I suppose DLSs stud Is now a ‘transfer’ too?

I thought I read on here that DLS’ stud To’oto’o did transfer there as a sophomore after playing his Frosh year in Sacto somewhere? If true, then yes he is now a “transfer” too.

There are a lot of programs in the NCS that have faced DLS 25+ times and never played a close one.

Who are these “lot of programs in the NCS that have faced DLS 25+ times and never played a close one”? I think Pitt might be the only team that has even had a chance to play them 25 times and they have beaten them. Most of the better teams in NCS have played at least a close one, and several more than one, but DLS has played in a number of leagues over the last 30 years and I can’t think of a team other than Pitt that played them more than 20 or even 15 times.

SRV played them close 2 years ago, losing by a point on a 2 pt conversuion attempt. Cal played several close much discussed games (onside kick, etc.) with DLS 2009-12, Sparty’s first 4 years in the EBAL, and Amador Valley had them on the ropes but lost the lead in the 2nd half in 2009. I’m pretty sure Monte Vista and Antioch have played them close, I think a 10 OT loss by MV when Ertz played and Antioch a tight one with Najee off the top of my head. Actually MV beat them in the 80s.

Schools like Heritage, Freedom & Deer Valley aren’t even 25 years old yet. I don’t think Foothill, Granada or Livermore has played them more than 10 times.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT