ADVERTISEMENT

Will IMG break "The Streak"?

Who are these “lot of programs in the NCS that have faced DLS 25+ times and never played a close one”? I think Pitt might be the only team that has even had a chance to play them 25 times and they have beaten them. Most of the better teams in NCS have played at least a close one, and several more than one, but DLS has played in a number of leagues over the last 30 years and I can’t think of a team other than Pitt that played them more than 20 or even 15 times.

My apology, I was purposely using hyperbole. The point was that the 3x Folsom has faced DLS isn't much compared to many of the NCS schools that have faced DLS since the Lad era began.

But you're right that Pitt has played them most. I think Foothill, MV, CVC, SRV, YV, Antioch and Cal are all pushing 20 or somewhere close. But I'll have to look it up to be sure.

That's not correct. They played twice on a home and home. And not quite the correct score for either game.
48-14 in 1997 at DLS and 48-13 in 1998 at NU. They weren't shut out.

You obviously posted before you saw my correction of the 1998 score and no they have not played again since then........

It is noteworthy that from 1988 through 2006, the 1997 and 1998 seasons happened to be 2 worst teams the Miners fielded. 6-5 in 1997 and 5-4-1 in 1998.They went 9-1 and 10-1-1 in the seasons before (1996) and after (1999). Just bad luck in scheduling good match ups for DLS per usual.

0-3 but making progress and showing vast improvement. There are a lot of programs in the NCS that have faced DLS 25+ times and never played a close one. If Folsom is able to keep scheduling them, they'll break down that door sooner than later. Perhaps even next season, who knows.

I appreciate the fact you’ve convinced yourself how good all these other undefeated Section Champs were (or WERE NOT in this specific statement you made) even though I’m guessing you never saw them play, or know little to nothing about them.

Solid Take
You shouldn't guess. I've been around NorCal football for over 30 years and have witnessed every team you've mentioned play. I've enjoyed watching teams from the South Bay, East Bay, Vallejo, Sacramento as well as Nevada Union. There is not many major NorCal programs that I have not witnessed in the past 30 years. Btw, I don't need to convince you or anyone else when the matter of the fact is DLS was untouchable during the era in which you brought up. Now continue convincing yourself that those schools had a solid chance against DLS. They didn't!!! It's just wishful thinking now.

I like:
Grant: state title year
Folsom 2014
Elk Grove: Lance Briggs

When I moved here in the late 80s I started to watch the local teams. I was on the Elk Grove bandwagon for sure when Briggs was killin it there in the late 90s. Aw the good old days.

All 3 had a great shot. But I'd say 2016 Folsom had a pretty good showing :)
And I liked DJ Williams and Maurice Jones-Drew DLS historical and dynamic teams led by the best coach in California history during that time. ;)

Randomly draw the best ever team from Cordova, Elk Grove, Grant Union, Nevada Union, or Folsom and you can't really go wrong.

I wish ALL the nationally relevant programs would stop scheduling IMG. That is a school that gets players from all over the country. More like a traveling all star team. Bad for high school football.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
I would actually argue that their streak no longer exists at all. They played Columbia High in a preseason game (it was technically a scrimmage, but was played like a full game) and got beat convincingly.

Long Beach Poly made a trip to play Miami Northwestern in a similar “scrimmage” and came away with a win. No one in either Florida or California has claimed that game doesn’t count.

I would actually argue that their streak no longer exists at all. They played Columbia High in a preseason game (it was technically a scrimmage, but was played like a full game) and got beat convincingly.

Long Beach Poly made a trip to play Miami Northwestern in a similar “scrimmage” and came away with a win. No one in either Florida or California has claimed that game doesn’t count.
i don't know how they get away with that.

I'm a Canes fan so I follow Miami area football. I remember when Poly took on Northwestern years ago after the "Baby Bulls" graduated and lost. In my opinion Miami has the best high school football in the country but it is a revolving door down there. It's been years since Northwestern was the top dog. Lately it's been between Miami Central and Booker T. Washington. There was a year where Norland climbed to the top. Carol City is supposed to be the cream of the crop this year but Central is strong yet again.

That team Poly beat was talented as hell but real young. If I recall they had Amari Cooper, Teddy Bridgewater, Artie Burns and Eli Rogers.

IMG has 102 players on their rooster including a 7th grader and two 8th graders???

So from what I've read they've got two squads; IMG Blue and IMG White. One is a JV Program and that is the one that includes 7th and 8th grades who on some cases play with Juniors. The other is the real good squad.

There’s a lot of talk about transfers and recruiting in SoCal but in reality it’s games like these that attract these kids to schools like MD and SJB

When i travel i always try to catch a good hs football game. This weekend i got lucky, so I hope this game lives up to the hype with mater dei ending img undefeated streak.

There’s a lot of talk about transfers and recruiting in SoCal but in reality it’s games like these that attract these kids to schools like MD and SJB

IMO, most young kids are front runners that always want to play (or root) for the winning team. That's what draws the kids to those programs.

Because games like these rarely happen. MD and SJB, for example, might play 2-3 games all season against opposition with a realistic chance to beat them. For most these kids, it's about ensuring they'll be on a dominate team and have bragging rights.

I for one am glad CA is following GA and TX footsteps by not scheduling IMG anymore. Same goes for basketball against factories such as Oak Hill. If you're into watching a collection of the best hand-picked football players in America competing against each other, that's what All-Star games such as the U.S. Army All-American Bowl is for.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
I've never accepted the Oak Hill Academy, Hargrave Military Academy and IMG sports teams as a real high school program. I view these super recruited programs as Jr. College's and All-Star teams.

I ordered the DIRECTV Sports Pack just to watch this game. It's chippy for a high school game, I don't think Folsom or DLS would be able to stop either one of these offenses, the size and speed across the board is on a different level. Score is 0-0 but IMG's two backs are absolute hammers.

Bryce Young to Bru McCoy gets MD on the board, but IMG blocks the PAT. 7-6 IMG, there's already about 5 Personal Foul/Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties in the game.

Reactions: slick58
Sanders has wheels, he was putting distance between himself and everyone else on the field that entire 86 yards.

Joshua Hunter, freshman for MD, might be just as fast, with a ~48 yard punt return.

Also, I've lost track of all the personal foul/unsportsmanlike conduct flags thrown in this game. This time #5 DJ Turner for IMG is ejected.

oh, yeah. Okay... As I have said many times on here, I don't watch a lotta football. 2 months til HOOPS! :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT