ADVERTISEMENT

Will the MEL Champion be decided in week 2

Polemic

Superstar
Nov 24, 2014
Will the MEL be decided as early as week 2? Napa and Wood face off this week possibly for the MEL League Title. Who will win and why?
Will there be any contenders after this game? Vacaville looks to be struggling but still has time to pull it together can it be done?
Vintage Got routed by Wood, Armijo and Rodriguez are playing horrible. Will there be any surprises to come?
I believe Wood will win out, Napa will put up a great fight for the first half then get overrun with speed and scoring.
Vacaville just hasn't got their machine firing on all cylinders and would have to beat two really good teams in Wood and Napa.

I think Vacaville still makes this a three team race. Wouldn't be shocked if Wood, Napa and Vacaville all have one league loss.

Vacaville is off to a shaky start but there is certainly time for them to get the kinks ironed out. They have a good coaching staff that seems to get things figured out quickly. I still see Wood scoring machine rolling all comers in MEL play. Time will tell!

I don't think you ever count Vacaville out, they have talent and a great staff. Wood is the real deal and I believe the MEL winner will come out of that game. Talking to a friend who was at the game Friday, Vintage ran man coverage against them which I think was a mistake with all their weapons. Of course the Vintage staff is not known for great game plans or game situation adjustments, maybe a good mix of zone coverage would slow them a bit and neutralize some of that explosive talent?
I think with Wood you just hope to slow them down a little and score on the soft defense.

Woods D may not be as soft as it seems, yes they are giving up 30ish points per game but they are killing teams and you can't expect their 2s and 3s to hold opponents from scoring. Just look at their stats they are pretty much leading the league in every category of stat on defense as well as offense. Yes I think their D stats are boosted some, kind of hard to have 118 total tackles vs 59 offensive plays lol that aside they seem to be getting it done. Friday should be a great game I can't wait to watch it.
Wing shooter, do you expect to see major changes from Napa for this game?

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
Woods D may not be as soft as it seems, yes they are giving up 30ish points per game but they are killing teams and you can't expect their 2s and 3s to hold opponents from scoring. Just look at their stats they are pretty much leading the league in every category of stat on defense as well as offense. Yes I think their D stats are boosted some, kind of hard to have 118 total tackles vs 59 offensive plays lol that aside they seem to be getting it done. Friday should be a great game I can't wait to watch it.
Stats??? Really? Wood has played a very soft schedule. You schedule to make the team better, stronger and to prepare the team for those tough games against in league and post-season. Not to pump your stats up but that's the Wood way it appears.

I think most teams try and schedule up, even when you try you can always anticipate a team like Enterprise going from a 47.8 to a 13.3. Wood play Concord which was 36.4 and is now a 14.6. I'm not suggesting that Wood's non league schedule was originally anywhere closed to Vaca Hi's; but as you can see now (according to Max Preps) one's at 15 and one's at 21 with regards to strength of schedule. Before you sharpen your teeth with a response, I know Oak Ridge doesn't compare to Vista Del Lago, that Granite Bay doesn't compares to Concord, but Pitt does compare to Freedom and AC does compare to Berkley and BOD does compare to Enterprise. My only point here is that sometime you just don't know what your are going to get on the back end of a home and away two year contract.

# School Rating Rec Str.
1 Elk Grove 61.5 6-0 26.7
2 Folsom 60.5 7-0 31.4
3 Grant (Sacramento) 52.2 5-1 34.1
4 Oak Ridge (El Dorado Hills) 47.8 6-1 33.9
5 Rocklin 45.8 4-2 36.5
6 Oakdale 45.8 6-0 16.5
7 Granite Bay 43.5 3-3 43.9
8 Central Catholic (Modesto) 43.4 6-0 11.3
9 Wood (Vacaville) 42.3 6-0 15.3
10 Napa 42.0 6-0 10.7
34 Vacaville 22.4 3-3 21.7

Agree with the Elk Grove rating - but Grant seems high. Did get a chance to see Wood play earlier this season and they are very athletic and talented, don't dismiss their ability to play based on schedule.

Friday should be a great game I can't wait to watch it.

I don't think Napa will change too much, that has not really been their style over the years. They do a good job of mixing up coverages and exploiting their strengths and opponents weaknesses though, most good programs do this. Friday will tell if it's enough or not.

Napa will not change very disciplined & physical team with tradition. Whomever, wins in the trenches will win. Can Wood's 0-Line endure Napa's D-Line all game? How well can Wood's O-Line protect their QB? Time will tell......

Napa will not change very disciplined & physical team with tradition. Whomever, wins in the trenches will win. Can Wood's 0-Line endure Napa's D-Line all game? How well can Wood's O-Line protect their QB? Time will tell......
Woods O-Line will in all honestly get dominated by Napa however they run zone read Oregon style so the backs will still be able to exploit Napa's first level Those Backs are very good. Woods Qb seems to throw better on the run than from the pocket and will extend plays allowing the WRs to "get open" ala sandlot, he will also get yards with his legs if nobody's open. the Battle will be paramount in the trenches but that won't win the game for Napa on their D side of things. Should be a great game!

Stats??? Really? Wood has played a very soft schedule. You schedule to make the team better, stronger and to prepare the team for those tough games against in league and post-season. Not to pump your stats up but that's the Wood way it appears.
Soft or not Wood is ready for all comers in the MEL...... They WILL win out and lead in the only stat that matters and one that can't be exaggerated and that is the Win Loss stat. Their first loss will come post season but it won't be soon they will run deep into post season. And that is a FACT!!!!

I think Vacaville still makes this a three team race. Wouldn't be shocked if Wood, Napa and Vacaville all have one league loss.

I'm thinking the same thing here maybe there will be a three way tie at 4-1, for example Wood beats Napa, Vacaville looses to Napa and then finds a way to upset Wood, u know they got that money in the back of a 17 year loosing streak against VHS.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the same thing here maybe there will be a three way tie at 4-1, for example Napa beats wood, Vacaville looses to Napa and then finds a way to upset Wood, u know they got that money in the back of a 17 year loosing streak against VHS.
I think Napa wins out, Vacaville beats Wood for the #2 spot.

I think Napa wins out, Vacaville beats Wood for the #2 spot.

Sorry I meant Wood beats Napa and Vacaville upsets Wood that I would be a three way tie at 4-1. I'm just hoping Vacaville can at least beat one of the two current top teams in the MEL.

GO VACAVILLE BULLDOGS!!!

Dan, big game tonight!

Indeed, if Napa beats Wood I really don't think my Bulldogs can beat Napa just because it's a down year for Vacaville and factor in the great coaching at Napa. But if things go the other way I see Vacaville having a better chance of beating Wood.

It was a rough night tonight. Napa played great! Wood will regroup and finish strong.

Wood doesn't look so high powered when they finally play a good team......

Strength of schedule, makes you learn the hard way just ask Vacaville coaches, I love that my Bulldogs schedule the top teams in each section, Granite Bay and Oak Ridge are among the top in the SJS, Pittsburg is around Top 10 in the NCS and Enterprise is down this year but it's still one of the better teams in the NS.

It should be a good game. I hope Vacaville is better that their record indicates or it may get ugly. Napa played a good game Wood did not. Napa's line dominated both sides of the ball and their coaching staff dominated Woods. Maybe Wood has two Achilles heels. Wood still has a chance to win MEL, the Irony is their fate seems to be in their Rival's hands. As streak one said earlier the MEL could have the top three teams with 1 league loss each. I doubt it but this is high school football and anything could happen. Next week Napa vs Vacaville game should be a old school ground and pound 3 yards and a cloud of dust. I think i'll have to attend this one it should be a good one. Total score under 50 I would think, if Vacaville can get its defense shored up they've been giving up a lot of points this season.

Vaca plays Napa tough every year down or not, in return Napa plays vaca tough down year or not. This is the rival game in the MEL, Wood and Vintage have not been factors in years. This year Wood will give vaca all they want though, they're a very good team.

I hope Vacaville is better that their record indicates...

Their record in more indicative of how good Granite Bay, Oak Ridge and Pittsburg are than anything else. I mean, if they scheduled Vista Del Lago, American Canyon, etc. they'd be undefeated too.

Reactions: woodinsider
Vacavillle plays an awesome non league schedule, absolutely no doubt. Napa also plays a good non league, pitman, Campo, casa grande, they definitely haven't backed into the undefeated season.

Vaca plays Napa tough every year down or not, in return Napa plays vaca tough down year or not. This is the rival game in the MEL, Wood and Vintage have not been factors in years. This year Wood will give vaca all they want though, they're a very good team.

This is very true, well said, both teams play each other like there's no tomorrow no matter what kind of year any of them is having. For Example 2011, Vacaville went on to win the section title but that Napa game was as tough as it could get, I remember Napa was beating Vacaville by a TD in the third quarter but Vacaville was able to come back and win that game.

Strength of schedule, makes you learn the hard way just ask Vacaville coaches, I love that my Bulldogs schedule the top teams in each section, Granite Bay and Oak Ridge are among the top in the SJS, Pittsburg is around Top 10 in the NCS and Enterprise is down this year but it's still one of the better teams in the NS.
Dan, sorry but Granite Bay and Oak Ridge are good but are not among the top of the SJS.

They are good, in comparison to the schools you have been playing, but not top flight.

Dan, sorry but Granite Bay and Oak Ridge are good but are not among the top of the SJS.

They are good, in comparison to the schools you have been playing, but not top flight.

Last time I checked they were both inside NCPs Top 20

Just out of curiosity G61, who would you say are "top flight" sjs schools? Guess it might be good to find what your calibration level is outside of just Folsom. My opinion would be that those two would be top flight schools in the sjs section.

Just out of curiosity G61, who would you say are "top flight" sjs schools? Guess it might be good to find what your calibration level is outside of just Folsom. My opinion would be that those two would be top flight schools in the sjs section.
You tell me what top flight is. You seem to know.

I know what my opinion is. I'm asking what yours is? How about your top 5 sjs teams this year? I would feel comfortable that a person top 5 would be "top flight".

And I believe "top flight" was your verbiage. You can call it whatever you want, I was just getting more info as it was an interesting comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT