ADVERTISEMENT

Wood 55 - Vintage 39

woodinsider

Board Regular
Jan 11, 2013
Wood led 30 - 9 at the half went on to win 55 - 39. Vintage scored 23 fourth quarter points against Wood's 2's. Wood now 6-0 meets reigning and undefeated MEL champion Napa in a battle for 1st place. Game will be played in Vacaville.

Wood led 30 - 9 at the half went on to win 55 - 39. Vintage scored 23 fourth quarter points against Wood's 2's. Wood now 6-0 meets reigning and undefeated MEL champion Napa in a battle for 1st place. Game will be played in Vacaville.

That will be a good one, should be on the Pick'ems @Streak One

Hey, woodinsider. What's the history of the school and the story behind Wood's very good year so far? Like averaging 50+ points a game! Being out of state a few years, I'd never heard of the school until returning to NorCal. Also, were Wood and Antioch to play each other, what might that one look like? Muds

Wood did play Antioch last year, Wood scored with a 1:36 left in the game then converted an onside kick and went on to score the winning touchdown with little or no time left; 31 - 30 was the final. The running back for Antioch a sophomore (Harris) was just a young colt, he seems to be twice the back this year as a junior. Not so sure Wood could slow him down. Wood was a junior high which was converted to a high school about 25 years ago and has been the "other" school in vacaville; except for a 3 three run in the late 90's when they were able to beat Vacaville; even still they have never won league. Vacaville is an open district and because of Vaca Highs football success many kids have chosen to go there instead of Wood to play football. This particular group of seniors decided to stay and play at Wood, they were mostly all starters as juniors.

Wood did play Antioch last year, Wood scored with a 1:36 left in the game then converted an onside kick and went on to score the winning touchdown with little or no time left; 31 - 30 was the final. The running back for Antioch a sophomore (Harris) was just a young colt, he seems to be twice the back this year as a junior. Not so sure Wood could slow him down. Wood was a junior high which was converted to a high school about 25 years ago and has been the "other" school in vacaville; except for a 3 three run in the late 90's when they were able to beat Vacaville; even still they have never won league. Vacaville is an open district and because of Vaca Highs football success many kids have chosen to go there instead of Wood to play football. This particular group of seniors decided to stay and play at Wood, they were mostly all starters as juniors.
Thanks, for the reply, woodster. I'm embarassed I did not recall the team. Interesting, Vaca (the city and environs) is an "open" school district with no attendance boundaries for the highschools. In a strange, convoluted way that kinda makes Vaca (the school and team) sort of like a borderless DeLaSalle. But without all the genuflecting. Nice that the Wood kids stayed together as a team through the years. Could Wood and Antioch wind-up meeting each other in the post-season? Or is it one of those apple/oranges division things? Muds

Muds, after talking to some parents I was informed that Vacaville isn't truly a "open" district; that indeed if you live in certain areas you are supposed to go to Vanden, Wood or Vaca Hi. What they did say was it was very easy to go to the school of your choice simply by putting in the appropriate paperwork. They also told me that the town has gone back and fourth with some years being open and some years your were told to go to the school in your boundary. Over 95% of the Wood roster lives on the Wood side of the boundary and stayed on their side of the town.

Good job Wood, that sets up the match up of the undefeated teams. Should be a great one, both teams are very good.
The Vintage coach was on social media predicting an upset earlier in the week, what a tool. Just another reason the administration needs to look at making changes.

Thanks, for the reply, woodster. I'm embarassed I did not recall the team. Interesting, Vaca (the city and environs) is an "open" school district with no attendance boundaries for the highschools. In a strange, convoluted way that kinda makes Vaca (the school and team) sort of like a borderless DeLaSalle. But without all the genuflecting. Nice that the Wood kids stayed together as a team through the years. Could Wood and Antioch wind-up meeting each other in the post-season? Or is it one of those apple/oranges division things? Muds

They can't meet in the playoffs. Antioch is in the NCS and Wood is in the SJS.

They could still potentially meet in a regional game, BUT Antioch is NCS D1 and would need to beat DLS in order to be considered.

They could still potentially meet in a regional game, BUT Antioch is NCS D1 and would need to beat DLS in order to be considered.
Add to that Wood would have to run the table in the MEL then also in the SJS playoffs, that's highly unlikely to happen. Wood is good to make a run at the section semifinals but thats about it, their defense hasn't been good enough to Stop the tougher teams, ie..Elk Grove, Grant, Rocklin, Folsom(not sure if D1 or D2 this season), Oak Ridge(almost sure is D1). You need defense to get thru the SJS playoffs. When Vacaville went on to win the section title in 2011 they played really good defense against a good St. Mary's team and then in the semifinal they played another great defensive game to beat undefeated Buhach Colony to advance to the Championship game where they needed all the defense they could have to stop, Dano Graves and Folsom in their final drive to win the game.

I agree, Dan, that Defense will be their downfall. Someone will slow their offense down and exploit their defense, I'm taking a flyer and saying it'll be Napa this Friday.

Add to that Wood would have to run the table in the MEL then also in the SJS playoffs, that's highly unlikely to happen. Wood is good to make a run at the section semifinals but thats about it, their defense hasn't been good enough to Stop the tougher teams, ie..Elk Grove, Grant, Rocklin, Folsom(not sure if D1 or D2 this season), Oak Ridge(almost sure is D1). You need defense to get thru the SJS playoffs. When Vacaville went on to win the section title in 2011 they played really good defense against a good St. Mary's team and then in the semifinal they played another great defensive game to beat undefeated Buhach Colony to advance to the Championship game where they needed all the defense they could have to stop, Dano Graves and Folsom in their final drive to win the game.
Defense will be key vs the top part of the bracket in the playoffs. Their offense is rolling, but defense will have to get better if they want to stand a chance. The rival game vs Vacaville will be a fun one to watch.

Do you really believe Napa can stop that scoring machine? Napa hasn't exactly been lighting up the scoreboard this season have they? They have a punchers chance but not more than that I don't believe. I guess we will know in 5 days. Heck might even see the MEL Championship game! Should be a good one. No rain in the forecast Napa's going to have to beat them with 11 guys, Mother Nature looks to be sitting this one out.

How does Napa fair against "Spread" Teams? Napa is very disciplined team with tradition. I really believe they are a physical team. Wud like to hear more on them and how they fair against various offenses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT