ADVERTISEMENT

#1 SMS vs #2 MM NORCALS FINEST

Box_out!

Board Regular
Dec 13, 2014
Clash of the Norcal Titans: The two top coaches in Norcal square off:

We have SMS coach in the Norcal Open finals for the second time in three years (very impressive). We have the MM coach ready to eliminate SMS for the second straight year from the Open and also in the Norcal Open finals for the second straight year (what a feat).

Lots of pressure on the favorite SMS coach to get the win. Almost no pressure on MM coach if they lose as SMS is on paper (#1 in the state, #2 #3 in the nation) is a heavy favorite. But MM mentally, like SHC believes they can win.

With the win SMS coach will be in prime position to be the second Norcal coach to win the Open crown in three years. But if the MM coach wins he will be the man of Norcal to pull the upset and the possible rematch vs MD for CA supremacy.

Dream scenario- SMS wins Norcal finals, Open title and finishes #1 in the nation. (For MM) MM upsets SMS in Norcal final, beats MD for Open title Kelly goes on into the summer with Cal-Stars and wins the NIKE EYBL Nationals and proves he is the new king of girls hs basketball.

Nightmare scenario- SMS loses will be 0-3 for Open titles and 0-2 in Norcal Open finals. MM loses will be 0-3 for Open titles and 0-2 in Norcal Open finals.

One coach will win the Norcal Open finals for the first time. Who will that be?

I have seen SQue get taken apart by a team willing to get in her face
from the opening whistle....Seems SMS has the type of defensive players who will take that defense to
her.

JZ
Interesting, I predict SI will have big numbers (20+points) vs SMS. Last year as a soph she ran thru them (almost a quadruple double, big points, big rebounds, steals, and assists) with no problem but I still think SMS should win.

Everyone knows SMS doesn't go man to man or zone and 1, they will press for the up tempo game to try and tire MM out. But MM knows how to throw the ball over the press and they have done it to SMS two years in row. SMS press will allow the two time gold medal winner (SI) to wreak havoc but if she tires out, SI will have no legs and that could spell doom for MM.

Remember Danger? SMS press has trouble keeping superstars contained. The press doesn't shut down elite players as a matter of fact last year vs MD the SMS press helped KLS be open so much she almost had 40 points vs SMS press. Just last Tuesday SHC Coleman went for 20 without SHC force feeding her like MM will with SI. The under sized SHC Pg went for 17.

I don't see SMS coach changing his game plan he presses no matter what.

But again I predict SMS will win. My measurement is MD handled MM so should SMS.

jazzpt55,

How physical do you think the refs will call it? Will they call tic tac fouls or let them play? Will they call it tight for three, or three and a half quarters, and then let them play? Will it be called one sided?

Here we have two teams that love to apply defensive pressure, and they both can get into foul trouble easily, if the refs decide to call it tight.

This is a game where composure and maturity may be a key. The team that bends a little but doesn't break has the edge. Both will have to adjust to the way the zebras are calling it. Because you do not want to end the game having to point fingers at anyone but yourself.

I thought that Miramonte clearly benefited on the seeding which had SMS having to get by SHC (IMO) a tougher challenge than SI. I had SHC matching up better with SMS than anyone else, so SMS are indeed still the favorites. SMS passed a tough test getting past SHC.

But you are right, they better plan for a way to contain Sabrina, or she and her very capable supporting cast could steal the game away from them. If SMS contains Sabrina, and both teams manage to avoid foul trouble, SMS are clearly the favorites.

But….. that's why they play the game. No one knows what another player or another team is truly capable of. Or who's coach will be on top of their game at game time?

Each game has a unique personality to it. Congratulations to both teams for making it this far and having awesome seasons.

Enjoy the games and …… Go Norcal !

Paytc

Box_out!,

This could be one of those games where you must not allow your coach's ego to get in the way. I always say the game dictates the game plan, and rotation, not the coach. I saw Kelly Sopak brilliantly switch up his predictability last season, which helped defeat Carondelet in the semi-final 92-87 shootout victory.

Remember, if the style and players you normally like to run with is not working, you may want to consider making an adjustment. Flexibility because….. Nothing works every time.

Now by no means am I saying change your starting lineup.Just be aware of what rotations are working or not working. So you may have to limit the number you rotate in to as little as 1 or 2 players or(4 or 5), as many as the game is dictating you to do.

Go Norcal !

Paytc

This post was edited on 3/20 7:17 PM by Paytc

Pay($up)

I agree with you 100% but I don't think the SMS coach does. It's like the captain going down with the ship theory. He will not change what has worked all year and why would he? Maybe because MD took away SI and cruzed to a easy victory right in front of the SMS coach in the SMS gym two months ago and the SMS coach took notes and recorded the game between MD vs MM and watched the video all this week on how to beat MM then implemented it into his game plan?

I say no, SMS has a history, it's his trademark, they will press.

Here is my example. Everyone knew vs Blackman that Dangerfield was key but SMS coach went with the press and she carved it up for about 15 assist understanding how to find the open man all game. And her conditioning is world class so her tiring out wasn't going to happen. The example you gave about Kelly "maybe" the difference in who wins and who loses.

Both coaches game plan will be on full display Sat night for all to see.

Box_out!,

I agree with your take as well !

I wrote my book "Win Anyway" to warn about the need to bring more flexibility into the world. To prevent the ego factor from always having to be the factor. Win Anyway encourages you to do whatever will work for each individual circumstance. Nothing will work every time, so we must be willing to set our ego's a side and do what is in the best interest of the team. It could mean sacrificing your playing time, if the game is calling for it, or changing your system and predictability if your opponent has your number?

Anyway that works on that particular day. I dont mean get away from your system or what you do best for the whole game just long enough to catch the opponent slipping and gain the edge to capture the victory. I call it "game time " coaching. I call do what you always do and run the system etc… "practice coaching".

Win Anyway means whatever works, not just your or my way.

How the refs call it will be critical. Adjusting to the refs could be the key.

Enjoy the games!

Paytc

This post was edited on 3/21 7:42 AM by Paytc

This post was edited on 3/22 11:54 AM by Paytc

I know this thread started w some hyperbole, but what we say influences how we think, so let me say:

Today will be nobody's nightmare. All the teams in action have had seasons that they're proud of. Every team and player on the court today has lost to a better team. even the Royalty in the Open Division. Every kid who plays today but won't be playing next week will, to steal a lovely phrase, Rise Again at a Decent Hour.

I watched SMS-McClatchy and felt like I should pause the stream and count the SMS defenders to make sure there weren't 7 or so of them. Their coverage of Sleep Train's acreage was phenomenal. If you're going down with the ship, I'd go down with that one. I'll be curious to see (well, read about) MM's defense tactics. Against BOD and PW, they showed a willingness to throw the curve or the change up. SMS is rightly favored.

My favorite TV media sports moment came when John Kruk, interviewed after a game 6 win, was asked about the prospect of a sudden-death match the following day. He put on a perfectly straight expression of horror, and replied, "You mean somebody's gonna die tomorrow? They didn't tell me that…"

Best wishes to everybody playing today.

This post was edited on 3/21 2:21 PM by mkbgdns

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT