ADVERTISEMENT

2017 WCAL - Looking Forward

Wow, how messed up is SoCal football when it is considered "a rarity" and "a unique advantage" to have no transfers in your senior class?

In the era of transfers, Chatsworth Sierra Canyon High has accomplished a rarity. There are 13 seniors on its 14-0 football team who have been together from start to finish for four seasons.
“These young men have had four years of exactly how we want to do things,” Coach Jon Ellinghouse said. “
It’s a unique advantage. It was a great group of kids who bought in and believed in us.”

They get to end their high school career Saturday at noon at Sacramento State, playing San Mateo Serra in the CIF state championship Division 2-A bowl game. One of those seniors is UCLA-bound offensive lineman Kanan Ray - 6'4 - 275.
“I guess from Day One, we started to bond,” Ray said. “We always talked about how good we would be as seniors and playing for a state championship. We’re all best friends. How far we’ve come is crazy.”

Eric SondheimerContact ReporterVarsity Times Insider

Last edited:
Wow, how messed up is SoCal football when it is considered "a rarity" and "a unique advantage" to have no transfers in your senior class?
I think Mission Viejo's championship team that beat Bellarmine last year had a number of transfers as well. Strange phenomena.

In the era of transfers, Chatsworth Sierra Canyon High has accomplished a rarity. There are 13 seniors on its 14-0 football team who have been together from start to finish for four seasons.
“These young men have had four years of exactly how we want to do things,” Coach Jon Ellinghouse said. “
It’s a unique advantage. It was a great group of kids who bought in and believed in us.”

They get to end their high school career Saturday at noon at Sacramento State, playing San Mateo Serra in the CIF state championship Division 2-A bowl game. One of those seniors is UCLA-bound offensive lineman Kanan Ray - 6'4 - 275.
“I guess from Day One, we started to bond,” Ray said. “We always talked about how good we would be as seniors and playing for a state championship. We’re all best friends. How far we’ve come is crazy.”

Eric SondheimerContact ReporterVarsity Times Insider

Serra Football CIF State Championship Game Info
Dear Serra Community,

Congratulations to our Serra varsity football team, which will play in the CIF Division 2-A State Championship at 12 p.m. on Saturday, December 17 against Sierra Canyon High School. The game will take place on the campus of Sacramento State University.
Additional information is posted below:

WCAL Football 2016

Off-field struggles fuel Nunn’s on-field success
By Mitch Stephens

Serra head coach Patrick Walsh blinked hard several times and bit his lip watching Sanger running back Jalen Cropper send more than 7,000 fans from Fresno County into delirium with a 57-yard touchdown run to open the scoring Saturday night. “That’s the loudest crowd noise I’ve ever heard at a high school game,” Walsh said. “Maybe any game.”
Walsh looked back to see quarterback Leki Nunn bending at the waist and stretching out his arm, looking as if he was going to enter a yoga class.

“There was absolutely no panic in his face or nothing in his body language that indicated stress,” Walsh said. “He didn’t say a word. He just put out his fist to bump mine as if to say, ‘We got this, coach.’” Yes, they did.
The speedy 5-foot-10, 180-pound senior accounted for 456 yards and six touchdowns in Serra’s wild 49-36 CIF Division 2-A Northern Regional championship win, the 10th straight for the Padres.

On Saturday, the alma mater of Tom Brady and Lynn Swann will play for the first state title in school history against Sierra Canyon-Chatsworth at noon at Sacramento State. Nunn said none of that was on his mind Saturday. Blocking out all the noise and an undefeated Sanger team was enough.
“That’s the most hostile setting I’ve ever been a part of, and one of the craziest games,” he said. “People were calling you names. Yelling at our parents. I had to double clap to be heard, and tap the center and guard to communicate. It was ridiculously loud.”

And Nunn was ridiculously good. He skipped, sliced and sprinted through and around defenders on 22 runs for 163 yards and scored from 4, 11, 2 and 5 yards. He made every throw imaginable, including — after hopping around in the pocket for more than five seconds — a perfectly placed 54-yard pass to Charles Quinn in the end zone. The pass traveled almost 70 yards in the air.

“He’s so freaking calm,” Walsh said. “Calmest demeanor ever. Nobody panics around him.”

Said Nunn: “If I show panic or I get down, that won’t help my teammates. I know they are looking to me.”

On the next possession, the right-handed thrower was flushed out of the pocket, sprinted left and along the Serra sideline had the chance to run for at least 10 yards. But just before reaching the line of scrimmage, he spotted Isiah Hendrick near the goal line and flung a 55-yard TD pass to him. That came in the middle of a 21-point fourth-quarter spurt that essentially clinched the win. Nunn, who accounted for 398 yards and five touchdowns in a CCS championship win over Mitty, was 13-for-21 for 293 yards against Sanger.

Walsh said Nunn, the 2015 WCAL Player of the Year and 2016 Co-Quarterback of the Year, has had as big an effect on his team as any player he has ever coached. That includes his days as an assistant at De La Salle, when he helped oversee the development of players such as Matt Gutierrez, D.J. Williams, Maurice Jones-Drew and Derek Landri.

During his 15-year run at Serra, he has coached Green Bay Packers lineman David Bakhtiari, former University of Minnesota running back De’Leon Eskridge, Stanford lineman Jack Dreyer and UCLA defensive lineman Matt Dickerson & Stanford linebacker Will Powers.

“Physically, of course, no, he’s not as imposing as some of those guys, for sure, but what he does on the football field, his competitive composition and spiritually and magic inside of him, he definitely compares,” Walsh said. “He’s Steph Curry in cleats. Nothing fazes him.”

There’s a reason.
Nunn said he and his younger brother, junior receiver Patrick, have experienced so much off the field that they treat football simply as what it is: a game. Nunn said his father has been in jail for the past 15 years and the last time he saw him was in 2011. “He writes and calls time to time,” he said. “It’s hard to get updates because we’ve moved so much. … He always says how proud he is of us and that I need to be the man of the family. He said that I’m going to make mistakes and sometimes it’s too late and you can’t go back. He said to try to do the right thing the first time and no matter what, have fun in what you’re doing.”

Nunn said his mother, Vika Sinipata, was incarcerated just before his freshman year, but was recently released and now attends every game, sporting Nunn’s freshman jersey. “She’s always dancing in the stands,” he said. “I can always hear her.” Nunn wouldn’t get into the specifics of his parents’ crimes, saying, “It’s not important. What’s important is the future.” Nunn’s grandparents, Paul and Anna Sinipata, have been a huge part of Leki’s life and filled in many parental gaps. But the past four years have been particularly trying.

“They’ve had to sell a lot of their most prized possessions just to make ends meet and pay for tuition at Serra,” he said. “We’ve had to move in and out of hotel rooms at a moment’s notice. I feel like I’ve seen the lowest of the low, so nothing really affects me on the football field. I’ve seen a lot worse.
“That’s why bad plays don’t really bother me. They don’t define me. It’s the next play that’s important.”

His uncle, Ronald Nunn, a former St. Francis, CCSF and USC defensive back, has long been his athletic idol. The football field has served as a sanctuary, his coaches and teammates as a second family.
“I love football and my teammates, and practice and games always brings me back to regular teenage life,” Nunn said. “I always play for them. I owe them so much.”

Carrying a 3.25 GPA, Nunn has offers from San Jose State, Sacramento State and Air Force. His lack of size might prohibit him from being a quarterback, but he doesn’t mind. De La Salle’s Justin Alumbaugh, who has coached against Nunn three times, said: “He’s unreal, one of the best athletes we’ve coached against. Colleges would be lucky to have him.”

Said Nunn: “Whatever position coaches want me to play in college, I'm fine with. I just want to play and get my education. ... I have an opportunity to change the shape of my life.”

[B said:
"colhenrylives[/B], post: 150327, member: 968"]Good heavens. That is shocking stuff. Both parents incarcerated. A lot to overcome.

Yes colhenry, certainly a sobering story to say the least. If nothing else it helps make us aware that even in the best of environments such as Serra [or any other WCAL school] many individuals can be lacking in the social support of their immediate family. Article is a good wake up call to think about & appreciate the family you have around you [and just how lucky you may be]. Quite a young man that Leki Nunn.

and another article from the San Jose Mercury News. This is a special young and what high school sports is all about. Saturday hopefully will be a special day for the Padres and Spartans of DLS.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/14/cif-state-football-serra-qb-leki-nunn-a-one-man-wrecking-crew/
cleardot.gif

Yes colhenry, certainly a sobering story to say the least. If nothing else it helps make us aware that even in the best of environments such as Serra [or any other WCAL school] many individuals can be lacking in the social support of their immediate family. Article is a good wake up call to think about & appreciate the family you have around you [and just how lucky you may be]. Quite a young man that Leki Nunn.
Good point you bring up, Rmbr, regarding individuals at schools even within the WCAL that have less than fortunate upbringing situations. One of the good things I love about WCAL schools is how sometimes a member of the community, alumni, or loved one will sponsor a student who comes from a challenging home situation so that they can attend a really good high school. I know they have that program at St. Francis and I'd guess they have it at other private schools in the Bay Area as well.

Good point you bring up, Rmbr, regarding individuals at schools even within the WCAL that have less than fortunate upbringing situations. One of the good things I love about WCAL schools is how sometimes a member of the community, alumni, or loved one will sponsor a student who comes from a challenging home situation so that they can attend a really good high school. I know they have that program at St. Francis and I'd guess they have it at other private schools in the Bay Area as well.

CAREFUL...you mean scholarshpips, or giving an underprivileged kids a chance to succeed?

Many people call that recruiting and are very worried about kids who they didn't push out and where they go to school (ie. A lot of useless people with time on their hands)

CAREFUL...you mean scholarshpips, or giving an underprivileged kids a chance to succeed?

Many people call that recruiting and are very worried about kids who they didn't push out and where they go to school (ie. A lot of useless people with time on their hands)
i can gurantee nunn has a "full ride" to serra, kid could go anywhere he wants serras lucky he chose them instead of any other wcal power

CIF

state football: Valley Christian prepares for explosive opponent

Madison-San Diego scored 60 points in an overtime win last week over Calabasas.

Valley Christian’s Angel Virelas, left, and RJ Stone are ferocious on defense for a unit that has allowed no more than 13 points in any game since September.

Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group

sjm-vc-0827-019.jpg

SAN JOSE — Valley Christian knows the challenge that awaits, that its opponent’s point total last week glows off the page like a nose on a reindeer.
But the Warriors have not backed down from a challenge all season and don’t plan on doing so when they play for the program’s first state championship.
Valley Christian, its only loss in overtime to St. Francis, plays for the Division 2-AA championship Friday in Sacramento against Madison-San Diego, which beat Calabasas 60-53 in overtime last week. “If we hold them to 59, we’ll be doing good,” Valley Christian defensive coordinator Eric Scharrenberg joked. In all seriousness, Scharrenberg is quite impressed with what Madison (12-2) brings. Terrell Carter has thrown for 2,652 yards and 32 TDs, and Erick Buchanan has rushed for 1,580 yards and 15 TDs. “We told the guys yesterday, they’re good everywhere,” Scharrenberg said Tuesday. “Their line is big and physical. The running back is terrific. They run spread, no huddle. Probably four wide receivers. The quarterback can run it and throw it. They’ve got players everywhere, and they’re well-coached, too.”

Valley Christian isn’t bad, either. Its defense has not allowed more than 13 points in any game since Sept. 30. D’Angelo Mckenzie gives the Warriors a leader in the secondary, Trent Laubach stands out at linebacker and defensive end RJ Stone and tackle Angel Virelas are strong players up front.
Laubach leads the Warriors with 122 tackles, 15 behind the line of scrimmage. Stone is second on the team with 75 tackles and tops in tackles for loss with 16.5. Mckenzie can line up in multiple spots from the secondary.
“The thing about D’Angelo is he’s very, very smart,” Scharrenberg said. “Since he’s smart, you can give him a lot of responsibility. Then you put on top of that he’s just tremendously athletic. In a game like this, where you’re playing an opponent that’s multi-talented, to have somebody like that who can play both near the line of scrimmage and down the field more is something that we’re going to try to utilize.”

Mckenzie met the challenge last week when Valley Christian rolled past Cardinal Newman 31-6 to win a Northern California championship.
Cardinal Newman was averaging 45 points per game. As the team huddled after that victory, coach Mike Machado reminded his players about everything they have accomplished. The Warriors won a share of the West Catholic Athletic League championship, a Central Coast Section championship and a NorCal championship. But Machado, who likes even numbers, told the team, “Let’s make sure we get the fourth.”
That final test comes Friday.

“We’ve played a lot of good opponents,” Scharrenberg said. “When you look at it, we’ve played Serra, who is playing in a state championship game. Pleasant Valley has a terrific quarterback, and they’re in a state championship game. Campolindo has a terrific quarterback, and they’re in a state championship game. We’ve seen guys. That being said, they’re very good. “We feel well prepared for the challenge, but it will certainly be the biggest challenge of the year, and that’s what you would expect. We’re playing for a state championship.”

By DARREN SABEDRA/bay area news group

Not entirely true. The Scholarship Interest Group (SIG) out of San Francisco is run by Malik Wade. His mission is to mentor/guide young men growing up in the toughest parts of the City to reach their full potential on and off the field. Some of his students include SHC's Jamar Sheppard and Levar Watkins, Riordan's Raymone Sanders, Max and Lou Mezie, Mission's Niamey Harris and many others student athletes attending SF schools (public and private).
http://sigsf.org/

Nunn: “Whatever position coaches want me to play in college, I'm fine with. I just want to play and get my education. ... I have an opportunity to change the shape of my life.”[/QUOTE]

Leki Nunn is an all time great WCAL player. Wish him nothing but the best in his future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defense_Rules
WCAL Football 2016

Off-field struggles fuel Nunn’s on-field success
By Mitch Stephens

Serra head coach Patrick Walsh blinked hard several times and bit his lip watching Sanger running back Jalen Cropper send more than 7,000 fans from Fresno County into delirium with a 57-yard touchdown run to open the scoring Saturday night. “That’s the loudest crowd noise I’ve ever heard at a high school game,” Walsh said. “Maybe any game.”
Walsh looked back to see quarterback Leki Nunn bending at the waist and stretching out his arm, looking as if he was going to enter a yoga class.

“There was absolutely no panic in his face or nothing in his body language that indicated stress,” Walsh said. “He didn’t say a word. He just put out his fist to bump mine as if to say, ‘We got this, coach.’” Yes, they did.
The speedy 5-foot-10, 180-pound senior accounted for 456 yards and six touchdowns in Serra’s wild 49-36 CIF Division 2-A Northern Regional championship win, the 10th straight for the Padres.

On Saturday, the alma mater of Tom Brady and Lynn Swann will play for the first state title in school history against Sierra Canyon-Chatsworth at noon at Sacramento State. Nunn said none of that was on his mind Saturday. Blocking out all the noise and an undefeated Sanger team was enough.
“That’s the most hostile setting I’ve ever been a part of, and one of the craziest games,” he said. “People were calling you names. Yelling at our parents. I had to double clap to be heard, and tap the center and guard to communicate. It was ridiculously loud.”

And Nunn was ridiculously good. He skipped, sliced and sprinted through and around defenders on 22 runs for 163 yards and scored from 4, 11, 2 and 5 yards. He made every throw imaginable, including — after hopping around in the pocket for more than five seconds — a perfectly placed 54-yard pass to Charles Quinn in the end zone. The pass traveled almost 70 yards in the air.

“He’s so freaking calm,” Walsh said. “Calmest demeanor ever. Nobody panics around him.”

Said Nunn: “If I show panic or I get down, that won’t help my teammates. I know they are looking to me.”

On the next possession, the right-handed thrower was flushed out of the pocket, sprinted left and along the Serra sideline had the chance to run for at least 10 yards. But just before reaching the line of scrimmage, he spotted Isiah Hendrick near the goal line and flung a 55-yard TD pass to him. That came in the middle of a 21-point fourth-quarter spurt that essentially clinched the win. Nunn, who accounted for 398 yards and five touchdowns in a CCS championship win over Mitty, was 13-for-21 for 293 yards against Sanger.

Walsh said Nunn, the 2015 WCAL Player of the Year and 2016 Co-Quarterback of the Year, has had as big an effect on his team as any player he has ever coached. That includes his days as an assistant at De La Salle, when he helped oversee the development of players such as Matt Gutierrez, D.J. Williams, Maurice Jones-Drew and Derek Landri.

During his 15-year run at Serra, he has coached Green Bay Packers lineman David Bakhtiari, former University of Minnesota running back De’Leon Eskridge, Stanford lineman Jack Dreyer and UCLA defensive lineman Matt Dickerson & Stanford linebacker Will Powers.

“Physically, of course, no, he’s not as imposing as some of those guys, for sure, but what he does on the football field, his competitive composition and spiritually and magic inside of him, he definitely compares,” Walsh said. “He’s Steph Curry in cleats. Nothing fazes him.”

There’s a reason.
Nunn said he and his younger brother, junior receiver Patrick, have experienced so much off the field that they treat football simply as what it is: a game. Nunn said his father has been in jail for the past 15 years and the last time he saw him was in 2011. “He writes and calls time to time,” he said. “It’s hard to get updates because we’ve moved so much. … He always says how proud he is of us and that I need to be the man of the family. He said that I’m going to make mistakes and sometimes it’s too late and you can’t go back. He said to try to do the right thing the first time and no matter what, have fun in what you’re doing.”

Nunn said his mother, Vika Sinipata, was incarcerated just before his freshman year, but was recently released and now attends every game, sporting Nunn’s freshman jersey. “She’s always dancing in the stands,” he said. “I can always hear her.” Nunn wouldn’t get into the specifics of his parents’ crimes, saying, “It’s not important. What’s important is the future.” Nunn’s grandparents, Paul and Anna Sinipata, have been a huge part of Leki’s life and filled in many parental gaps. But the past four years have been particularly trying.

“They’ve had to sell a lot of their most prized possessions just to make ends meet and pay for tuition at Serra,” he said. “We’ve had to move in and out of hotel rooms at a moment’s notice. I feel like I’ve seen the lowest of the low, so nothing really affects me on the football field. I’ve seen a lot worse.
“That’s why bad plays don’t really bother me. They don’t define me. It’s the next play that’s important.”

His uncle, Ronald Nunn, a former St. Francis, CCSF and USC defensive back, has long been his athletic idol. The football field has served as a sanctuary, his coaches and teammates as a second family.
“I love football and my teammates, and practice and games always brings me back to regular teenage life,” Nunn said. “I always play for them. I owe them so much.”

Carrying a 3.25 GPA, Nunn has offers from San Jose State, Sacramento State and Air Force. His lack of size might prohibit him from being a quarterback, but he doesn’t mind. De La Salle’s Justin Alumbaugh, who has coached against Nunn three times, said: “He’s unreal, one of the best athletes we’ve coached against. Colleges would be lucky to have him.”

Said Nunn: “Whatever position coaches want me to play in college, I'm fine with. I just want to play and get my education. ... I have an opportunity to change the shape of my life.”

What a great kid! I wish him and his brother all the best. Having raised my kids in a broken home I have that much more respect for his maturity and for making the positive choices he's made. And thank God for those who have stepped up to help fill that gap for his family too.

Reactions: Scott2138
Only time of the year I root for everyone else from the WCAL still playing; Stare Championship weekend. Go Dubs and Fathers, rep NorCal and the WCAL and bring it home!!!

Madison 21-17 over VC

Good game, but VC appeared to be a bit over-matched in this one. Madison had a few too many weapons of offense and their lines were huge on both sides of the ball. Madison simply had more big plays. VC is a slow grind it out offense without any real stars. Javon Sturns was quiet in this one, VC's big lineman McKreery had 3 costly penalties, Miles Kendrick missed on a couple of critical passes and a couple maybe could have been caught as well. Flores for VC had perhaps the best game on offense and on the defensive side of the ball Trent Laubach at all of 5'7-180 had a terrific game and was mentioned often. In the end VC just didn't have the passing game to stay ahead of Madison. A big problem for VC was no outside containment on Madison's runs, especially on 3rd downs. There was a critical 4th down play in the 4th with Madison facing 4th & 2 and you could almost guess what they were going to do. VC had not stopped the outside run all night & Madison bunched up tight as did VC and the madison QB simply ran for the 1rst down & a few more yards before he was touched. A close competitive game & it would've taken VC's best game of the season to win it. Both sides had penalties, bt VC did have 2 take aways and a missed FG.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDDons
When VC failed to make hay with two early Madison turnovers, you had the feeling that those failures would come back to haunt them.

When VC failed to make hay with two early Madison turnovers, you had the feeling that those failures would come back to haunt them.

Yes colhenry VC was 2-0 on the tunrovers and also had the 2 early runs by Maddy wiped out on penalties of which one looked to be "phantom" as under replay no holding could be seen taking place. Alas the Football-Gods tried to help VC, but it was not to be...

Watched St. Mary's game & somewhat perplexed by numerous calls during the game such as no FG try early on when on 12 yard line. Then at the end going on 4th & goal with Frampton injured on the sideline? Guess they had absolutely no faith in their kicker for an extra-point FG, strange.

Now Serra's turn on the big stage...

Serra vs Sierra Canyon on 12:00 Noon on following channels:

DIRECTV - 698
Dish Network - 438 or 412-01
AT&T - 767

The WCAL football year 2016 is officially complete. Kudos to VC and Serra for winning their regional and great showing at state. One these days, a WCAL team will win a state championship. And, Thank You Rmbr26 for all your insight, analysis, and leadership on this wcal board through the years. I have learned a lot. can't wait for your post for early predictions for next year.

Reactions: observer22
Congrats on great season's to the Warriors and Padres. Agree. VC and Serra were in each of their games.
Interesting observation is that almost all of the schools @ State are Private schools located in their respective area's suburbs, with the exception of McClymonds and Bishop O'Dowd of Oakland. Also, small private schools are having success - with many of their best players in two-way roles. Definitely talented players, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ds1968
The WCAL football year 2016 is officially complete. Kudos to VC and Serra for winning their regional and great showing at state. One these days, a WCAL team will win a state championship. And, Thank You Rmbr26 for all your insight, analysis, and leadership on this wcal board through the years. I have learned a lot. can't wait for your post for early predictions for next year.

Thanks ds1968 and appreciate your comments. The WCAL is such a fun league to follow and so very competitive in nature of the teams, coaches & athletes. Its been a roller coaster season with a 3 way tie for the league crown with SF, VC & Serra with 2 of the 3 going to state. What looked like possibly a "down year' for the WCAL turned out to be anything but. It seems it is just a matter of time before the WCAL takes home a state crown and it IS coming.

WCAL Football 2016 - FInal State Standings

Final CCS Rankings for Top 5 WCAL Teams:
1. Valley Christian - Top win over Serra
2. Serra - Top Win over SF [2]
3. SF - Top Win over VC
5. Bells - Top Win over M-A [1 for 2, winning early 34-20, getting shut out 21-0 in post season]
6. Mitty 7-6 Top win over Aptos

Final CA State Rankings of Top 4 WCAL Teams:
27. VC 13-2 Worst Loss 21-17 to Madison in state bowl game
32. Serra 10-5 Worst Loss 47-13 to DLS
48. SF 10-2 Worst Loss to Serra 31-17
92. Bells 7-5 Worst Loss to Serra 48-13

Wow - any idea the last time a CCS team didn't finish in Top 25 in state? The highest I can remember was VC as #2(??) in 2005. EDIT - I was thinking Bay Area...I will take a lap.

Last edited:
Wow - any idea the last time a CCS team didn't finish in Top 25 in state? The highest I can remember was VC as #2(??) in 2005. EDIT - I was thinking Bay Area...I will take a lap.
You were right - according to CalPreps, VC was #2 in the state for 2005. But they lost to Grant that year. CalPreps is a good tool but nothing takes the place of onfield play. Canyon (Country Canyon) was number one for 2005. Canyon was #1 again in 2006 - that was the first year of the SBG games where Canyon beat DLS 27-13. So the ratings do have some merit.

For 2005, VC was #2 in state and #34 in the nation. Number 1 Canyon was #13 in the nation. The following year, 2006, #1 Canyon was #14 in the US. These ratings indicate California was pretty weak in the US those years.

All-Bay Area Preps Football Team - Players of the Year: Najee Harris, Antioch/ East Bay & Leki Nunn, Serra/SF, SM & SC Counties

The Bay Area News Group since merging with other newspapers including those in the east bay changed their selections from previous years covering SF, SM & SC Counties only to now selecting from both sides of the bay. Its quite an extensive list of players & selections and so far I can't see any I would argue against.

SF, San Mateo & Santa Clara County/ Player of the Year: Leki Nunn, Serra

sjm-stfrancis-1119-09.jpg

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/04/football-najee-harris-leki-nunn-lead-all-bay-area-preps-team/

All Bay Area Preps Team & Returning WCAL Players for next season:

So looking at the list of the best of the best in the bay area I took a look at those WCAL players listed to see just who will be back next season.
Here is the break-down:
First Team Defense: Tyler Manoa, 6'4-290, D-line, St. Francis
2nd Team Defense:
Cade Hall, 6'3-230, D-line, Bells
RJ Stone, 6'3-200, D-line, VC
Honorable Mention:

Isiah Kendricks, 5'11-170, RB, Serra
Shane Villaroman, 5'11-170, WR, Serra
Lasa Tofi, 5'9-225, RB/LB, Riordan
Gabriel Meza, 6'2-210, D-line, Mitty

Of note 3 WCAL teams will be returning QB's next season which already gives those teams a "leg up" on everyone else. St. Francis returns Reed Vettel,
SHC returns WIll Irons and Serra returns Luke Botari the highest rated QB of the 3 along with Jack Damelio who was injured most of the season, but could be as good or better than Botari. In the skill positions Serra seems to be set returning the 3rd top rusher in the WCAL and 3 of the top 8 WR's from this last season including the top WR Shane Villaroman. On the defensive side of the ball MItty returns a handful of talented players and should move up a notch in league next season. 2016 was a lean year for kickers in the WCAL as there simply were not any that were outstanding in percentages of FG's made or distance. The top teams should recognize this early on and find kickers who are at least dependable from within the red zone out to 30-35 yards.
VC's lone loss in WCAL was to SF due to a short missed FG attemtp, Serra nearly lost its first game with SF over a couple missed PAT's and Serra lost its state title game 42-40 due to 2 missed PAT's. Some of the top games of the season and nearly an entire year of practice coming down to losing on missed PAT's or short FG tries. If a top tier WCAL team can come up with top notch kicker for touch-backs, FG's & PAT's it could be one of the most important positions on their team with so many WCAL games being closely contested.

Last edited:
If a top tier WCAL team can come up with top notch kicker for touch-backs, FG's & PAT's it could be one of the most important positions on their team with so many WCAL games being closely contested.
They have had them. Cole Bunce, Bellarmine 2015 grad kicked off for TCU as a freshman
61.9 yd avg and 27 TB

Best kicker I've ever seen at the HS level was from Bellarmine about 15 years ago [trying to recall his name??]. Anyway he kicked among others a 48 yard and 52 yard FG during the season.

Excellent knowledge one bella123 - I recognized the name instantly & Juan Gamboa was as I said was the BEST HS kicker I have ever seen!

Kid was automatic touch back, no return. And as you said could give you a chance at a 50yd FG if need be. One of the best I ever saw.

Kid was automatic touch back, no return. And as you said could give you a chance at a 50yd FG if need be. One of the best I ever saw.
Best kicker I saw in high school was a few years ago a kid named Andrew Franks from Carmel High. Was also a pretty good WR and DB.

Reactions: bella123
Best kicker I've ever seen at the HS level was from Bellarmine about 15 years ago [trying to recall his name??]. Anyway he kicked among others a 48 yard and 52 yard FG during the season.
Best pk I ever saw was on my brother's '81 Crusader team - Steve Jordan. Automatic touch backs and kicked the game winning fg of 50+ yards to beat the Bells. 2nd in line of Jordan bros that later kicked for USC.

Best pk I ever saw was on my brother's '81 Crusader team - Steve Jordan. Automatic touch backs and kicked the game winning fg of 50+ yards to beat the Bells. 2nd in line of Jordan bros that later kicked for USC.

He roomed with Del Rio at USC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT