ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

1982 possibly? Riordan lost to a Rory McLoud led Jefferson Indians in the title game that year. Rory played for Epiphany’s Parish team in grade school.
I remember the 1982 Jefferson Indians all too well. During their great run too the CCS title not only did they beat Riordan but also sent defending 1981 CCS champs SI with WCAL POY Paul Fortier home in the quarterfinals at Kezar. McLoud was spectacular that night. Interesting sidenote, Jeff had a sophomore on the team who didn't even start that night. He played a fair amount but was built like nobody else on the court. Future Calif. HS rushing record setter Tyreese Knox. That 82 Jeff team was awesome !

Tough to beat the ancient Bellarmine gym (now gone I think) for quaint. Played a freshman game there in 1970. It had a clock with a hand that went around, two half-court lines because the place was so cramped and showers I can't even describe. Regarding the old TOC, a fond memory circa 1978 was going with the guys from Burlingame Rec -- Steve Picchi, Ray Wagner, Clay Rice, Mike Ciardella, Carl Reyna -- to watch about five straight games at the TOC in Oakland. Good times.
I recall the Bellarmine locker showers after a WCAL game were a pipe with nail holes.

Reactions: rabbit5
DIII & DII Finals @Sequoia HS

Noon - DIII Boys
#2 St. Ignatius vs. #1 Sacred Heart Cathedral

2:00 - DIII Girls
#3 Mills vs. #1 Aptos

4:00 - DII Boys
#7 Christopher vs. #1 Hillsdale

6:00 - DII Girls
#3 St. Francis vs. #1 Presentation

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Anyone else thinking of heading to Santa Clara tonight?

You've got Mitty (Maxprep 10th Nationally/5th in State) versus Bellarmine (Maxprep 13th Nationally/7th in State)........Games really dont get much better than this!

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Anyone else thinking of heading to Santa Clara tonight?

You've got Mitty (Maxprep 10th Nationally/5th in State) versus Bellarmine (Maxprep 13th Nationally/7th in State)........Games really dont get much better than this!

Just a PSA because I've seen it referenced before: Dont use maxpreps computer rankings for anything. The xcellent 25 is a more realistic representation if you're looking on maxpreps. Ballislife Fab 50 is also good if you're looking for a solid list.

Mitty and Belarmine are good teams who will be in the running to represent NorCal in the open. They are not top 15 nationally.

Just a PSA because I've seen it referenced before: Dont use maxpreps computer rankings for anything. The xcellent 25 is a more realistic representation if you're looking on maxpreps. Ballislife Fab 50 is also good if you're looking for a solid list.

Mitty and Belarmine are good teams who will be in the running to represent NorCal in the open. They are not top 15 nationally.
I would love to meet the person or individuals who rank these teams. I am a WCAL all the way guy, but their is no way in hell they are top 25 teams. Whomever does the rankings are clueless.

The over and under on crowd size will be 66 (that includes parents, offricials, clock personnel and Seqouia HS site managers).

SH shouldve pushed to have it at Cow Palace again because SI probably has nightmares of that place. Kezar Pavilion perfectly suitable for this game. Wont draw like BM game.

SH shouldve pushed to have it at Cow Palace again because SI probably has nightmares of that place. Kezar Pavilion perfectly suitable for this game. Wont draw like BM game.

Maybe have it at our own gym might have been better as well...lmao. I suspect a above average turnout but yes not like BM game.

Too many things going on. Mid day weekend. Im going with the under. Kezar would have been a more suitable location. Although CCS probably figures less, since most of SI students live outside of City. Again, Saturday at noon? Crowd will look bigger as other games going on. I imagine both baseball teams playing games, and SI lacrosse, language school, SAT prep courses, etc. Besides, CCS is soooo watered down. Now, CCS in mid 70s with one division. That was a cant miss.

Too many things going on. Mid day weekend. Im going with the under. Kezar would have been a more suitable location. Although CCS probably figures less, since most of SI students live outside of City. Again, Saturday at noon? Crowd will look bigger as other games going on. I imagine both baseball teams playing games, and SI lacrosse, language school, SAT prep courses, etc. Besides, CCS is soooo watered down. Now, CCS in mid 70s with one division. That was a cant miss.

Very true. But, without the huge CIF/CCS expansion to include everyone with a hint of a pulse, this particular SI-SHC ballgame would not even be on anyone's playoff radar screen, let alone an actual section title affair. So let's all be thankful for small (or large) favors. By the way, check out the Sequoia campus if you have not visited before. It's like a small college. Very nice. Our Peninsula tax dollars hard at work.

I would love to meet the person or individuals who rank these teams. I am a WCAL all the way guy, but their is no way in hell they are top 25 teams. Whomever does the rankings are clueless.

There are very few states with as good of Basketball as California. Id say Florida, New Jersey, Texas and New York are the only places that could even touch us. Of course SoCal is better, but our Norcal teams have improved a lot. Not to mention Mitty and Bellarmine both played in the Torrey Pines and went a combined 5-1 against National teams.

There are very few states with as good of Basketball as California. Id say Florida, New Jersey, Texas and New York are the only places that could even touch us. Of course SoCal is better, but our Norcal teams have improved a lot. Not to mention Mitty and Bellarmine both played in the Torrey Pines and went a combined 5-1 against National teams.
The WCAL has always been regarded as the second best league in the state. If you start telling me guys from this team are signed in the ACC and other top college leagues then we may have a legit debate. Is anyone from either of these teams first or second team all Americans? Or even close to McDonald’s selections? Exactly my point. So how in the world they are top 15 is beyond me.

And you have them ranked below Sierra Canyon and Montverde a few spaces below. Is high school basketball weak. Cause if that is the case the 1989 and 1990 Riordan teams was number 1 period. That team would blow the current Mitty and Bellarmine team out.

Lastly Sierra lost to Rancho Christian 22nd, Minnehaha 22-3 and not top 25, per max preps they are 155th nationally and 2nd in their state, Paul who is 16th, and Long Island who is 12th. Yet they stay 2nd. Like I said whomever makes this ranking system is a joke.

Montverde and Sierra combine five guys in the top 11 nationally. Prolific has 1. Minnehaha’ star is 5th and almost every team 15 on down has a Top 100 player. Bellarmine and Mitty have 0 in the top 100.

I could go on and on, just don’t see a 10 and 13 team and I have watched both play a few times.

And if you are putting both teams at 10 and 13, then they should easily be in the semi finals and one should make the nor cal final. You have Dublin, Bishop O’Dowd, and Sheldon that easily could knock them off and over in D1 which Riordan will most likely be placed in has their hands full as well and they both split.

It's no secret on here that I've been a huge Bellarmine fan for years.... so I'll take the Bells tonight! Bummed I couldn't make it. I will catch them in norcals for sure

- wcal donnie

Bellarmine leads Mitty 21-15 at the half.
Mitty perimeter game off - most likely because of the depth of the baskets playing in an arena setting.
ARHS Stats on the job. Kudos Pat!

Mitty 32 Bellarmine 27. End of 3rd
Monarchs heating up from the outside with Mitchell and Green hitting 3's.

Mitty wins as Lewis' wide open 3 to tie the game misses. Final score 44-41
Congrats to the Monarchs!

Yikes, had em at plus two. Between this and the other open games tonight, might not be able to pay the ol' rent on March 1st. Congrats to Mitty...
I thought Denker should have taken more control of the game in the closing minutes. Bellarmine had their chances. Kiachian missed a layup and Lewis a game tying 3 in the closing seconds.

Bellarmine leads Mitty 21-15 at the half.
Mitty perimeter game off - most likely because of the depth of the baskets playing in an arena setting.
ARHS Stats on the job. Kudos Pat!
The arena backdrop behind the baskets has always been a interesting one. Seen some teams shoot lights out, but seen a majority of teams that are more of a outside shooting team struggle over the years. Huge difference between a wall a few feet behind a hoop versus several rows of seats.

Ayalar, the best state for high school basketball year after year, both girls and boys is Maryland. Period and it isn't close. NCAA Research tweeted the statistics last month. I'll post them later.

CCS Open Championship Result - Friday night
Mitty 44 Bellarmine 41

CCS DIII Championship Result - Saturday
St. Ignatius 70 SHC 66

Congrats to the Monarchs and Wildcats!

Up Next: NorCal Seedings Sunday

[QUOTE="jordan24, post: 260351, member: 140"

CCS DIII Championship Result - Saturday
St. Ignatius 70 SHC 66
[/QUOTE]

Same old cr*p. No D. It's really disheartening considering how bad SI is.

Last edited:
My WCAL NorCal Bid Projections:
Open
  • Mitty (high seed-hosting 1st round)
  • Bellarmine (lower seed-on road)
D1
  • Riordan (high seed-hosting 1st round)
  • St. Francis (mid seed)
  • Serra (mid seed)
D2
  • SI (high seed-hosting 1st round)
  • SHC (mid seed)

Same old cr*p. No D. It's really pathetic considering how bad SI is.

They did their job and got the BM series even. Thats the only thing that mattered.

They played ok, the refs called a tight game, many of the SHC starters had 2-3 fouls after the 1st half so they tampered it a little the second half and were not as aggressive. Ray Johns made a fabulous steal from a attempted pass mid court while the SI point guard was trying to distribute the ball, that will wind up in the his high light reel. I wasn't aware SHC and SI can see themselves playing again if they made D2.

Let's hope they do not meet again this season. We have seen this movie quite enough at this tender juncture. Put these two in separate divisions on Sunday. Please.

Last three min of the game, ZERO play sets. Basically 1 on 1 you go get us a bucket. No ball movement or any plays to isolate your best player Rajon Spears on the wing, on the block, etc... He needs to be the closer and the coach must do a better job of getting him the ball.

Last three min of the game, ZERO play sets. Basically 1 on 1 you go get us a bucket. No ball movement or any plays to isolate your best player [Ray John] Spears on the wing, on the block, etc... He needs to be the closer and the coach must do a better job of getting him the ball.
He also needs to quit flopping. He did it again today.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT