ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

So, lotta crickets out here. Not many mentions about tonites game(s). Any thoughts about the game tonite, the Dukes of Hazzard (Serra) vs the United Nations (Riordan)? Anyone willing to chirp out there hahaha

Reactions: colhenrylives
Serra's administration has announced that polite behavior on the part of the Padres' terminally restless student body will be encouraged and promoted tonight for the Riordan game in San Mateo by:

Having Dr. Phil read the pre-game prayer.
Showing video highlights of a Deepak Chopra lecture.
Handing out T-shirts proclaiming "Love thy neighbor."
Singing biblical tunes of good will and peace to men.
Providing soothing tea and cookies during timeouts.
Giving foot massages to the referees at halftime.
Installing a safe room near the men's loo.
Banning all trigger words like "defense" and "airball."
Mandating post-game hugs on all sides.

Have a wonderful and forgiving day (and night). Or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneDNA
Serra's administration has announced that polite behavior on the part of the Padres' terminally restless student body will be encouraged and promoted tonight for the Riordan game in San Mateo by:

Having Dr. Phil read the pre-game prayer.
Showing video highlights of a Deepak Chopra lecture.
Singing biblical tunes of good will and peace to men.
Providing soothing tea and cookies during timeouts.
Giving foot massages to the referees at halftime.
Installing a safe room near the men's loo.
Banning all trigger words like "defense" and "airball."
Mandating post-game hugs on all sides.

Have a wonderful and loving day. Or not.
Well played.....hahaha

So, lotta crickets out here. Not many mentions about tonites game(s). Any thoughts about the game tonite, the Dukes of Hazzard (Serra) vs the United Nations (Riordan)? Anyone willing to chirp out there hahaha
- Riordan will win
- Riordan will continue their streak of T's
- The W20th Ave. "cheering section" will behave.... well just like expected
Another great night of WCAL hoops !

Riordan's play has improved since the WCAL opener with Serra. A lot of that has to do with game experience. Team defense has elevated with effective switching and defending dribble penetration. Physicality and rebounding and overall team ball movement and finding the open man has also been evident in this run...Riordan's depth has come into play with Bryce out a few weeks ago and PF Rob Vaihola on the mend from a hand injury. Keys are to keep it up with their outstanding team play and staying poised throughout even if the tough get going against the fired up Padre crowd. And lastly, check those rims !!! Lol!

Last edited:
Tues Night Jan 28th Matchups (stream info will be updated if/when available)
Tip-off @ 7:30 pm.
  • St. Francis @ Mitty
    • Both teams look to keep pace in the top of the league standings. The Lancers were thumped by the Monarchs at home. Mitty has lost to both Bellarmine and Riordan at home. Could be a close game if Burris is still out.
  • Riordan @ Serra
    • Game of the night as the Crusaders seek redemption of their league home opener loss vs the Padres. Clark sat out the first quarter, and the Crusaders were just flat and struggle against the hot shooting and confident Padres. Riordan looks to end another streak by beating the Padres in the Jungle.
  • Valley Christian @ Bellarmine
    • VC still struggling with injuries and face a strong Bellarmine squad looking to keep pace at the top of the standings.
  • St. Ignatius @ SHC
    • The post Bruce-Mahoney matchup that has the 'Cats seeking their 2nd league win. Irish will be fired up and running on their home floor on Ellis Street.
Tuesday Night Picks. Who you got?
  • Mitty
  • Riordan
  • Bellarmine
  • SHC

Tuesday Jan 28th WCAL Roundup
  • Riordan 52 Serra 50
  • SI 58 SHC 54
  • Mitty 61 St. Francis 44
  • Bellarmine 89 Valley Christian 37

No technicals for Riordan tonight!

Turning point was end of 3rd tied at 35 and Bryce scored 6 in a row to make it 41-35. Thats what senior leaders do. Take over.

Those Padres make you earn everything which is formula for success. Look at how every player on the court does their job. Theres no lolligagging. Everyone is moving. Hard to get kids nowadays to buy into that if they dont have the ball in their hands.

Very disappointing effort by the officials in the Serra game. Curious calls down the stretch, 3 foul calls on Serra the entire second half.

I am the first one to call out bad refs, but at the same time lately I have been trying to do a better job at understand their job isn’t easy. But 3rd and 4th quarter as a ref you need to buckle down and pay close attention.

The other day I was at one of the away games for my school. Game tied 27-27..4th quarter 5 min left. The other team does a clear back court violation. I jump out of my seat and yell backcourt...that was backcourt! The other team proceeds to hit a 3. The refs stop the game, single me out and eject me from the gym.

Refs are similar to police. There are a ton of good ones, but there are always a small percentage of bad ones, that spoil it for the rest.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
I am the first one to call out bad refs, but at the same time lately I have been trying to do a better job at understand their job isn’t easy. But 3rd and 4th quarter as a ref you need to buckle down and pay close attention.

The other day I was at one of the away games for my school. Game tied 27-27..4th quarter 5 min left. The other team does a clear back court violation. I jump out of my seat and yell backcourt...that was backcourt! The other team proceeds to hit a 3. The refs stop the game, single me out and eject me from the gym.

Refs are similar to police. There are a ton of good ones, but there are always a small percentage of bad ones, that spoil it for the rest.

Maybe the backcourt violation wasn’t so clear? It is often misunderstood.

Same can be said for fans.

OMG. Such a sterile environment at SHC.

AKA - “The Hospital” yellow walls they should play elevator music 24/7. Admin won’t add banners, which they have plenty of in smaller gym. They do a big dinner once a year and don’t want banners on the wall. Celebrate your State Titles and banners in the main gym. It’s a gym for student athletes not a dining hall.

But fans don’t determine the outcome of a game.

Players determine the entire game, not just outcome. Officials decide on player decisions and actions. And while refs certainly will miss end of game calls, to say one mistake determines the game does a disservice to both teams.

I challenge you to name a game/team who said, "we won this close game because of the refs".

btw - if your description is accurate, there's no rule supporting your ejection. Unless inappropriate language is used, fans are allowed to cheer, boo and even officiate. Was there a reason given?

Last edited:
i've always had the belief that refs dont determine the outcome either. Players have to make plays, if the game is being called tight the players have to adjust, don't put yourself in a situation to be called for a foul (great example, player has no chance of getting a reb but comes running in trying to jump over someone and gets called for a foul and opposing team gets 1-1 FT's to win the game. people are yelling at the refs for a bad call....but the player should have never tried to make that play.) 1 or 2 bad calls doesnt determine the who wins or loses. it can make a game close but still comes down to the players to make plays at the end.

and only 3 fouls against serra in the 2nd half is crazy. they are physical and don't give you an inch. probably a few missed calls but at the end, riordan made the plays to get the W.

OMG. Such a [bright, clean, modern, new, inviting] environment at SHC.

They are all hung in [the older] gym, but I agree, [pretty classy]. FIFY.

Give it a rest already. The building opened in 2003 and looks better than ever. It's the league's premier gymnasium and your half-wit remarks are only fueled by jealousy. Title banners are in the older gym. The Wall of Champions lists the championships. Deal witb it, children.

Last edited:
Shows what cherry-brains know. Special events are held in the cafeteria on the lower floor of the building.

You clowns have been jealous of the league's premier gymnasium since the place opened. Enough of the hate. It's been 17 years already. Give up.

Last edited:
I thought refs didn't decide games either until I saw a NCS playoff game with a player
receiving 2 technical fouls and not be removed from the game and another players 5th personal foul be reversed to another player and this happened in the same game.

I thought refs didn't decide games either until I saw a NCS playoff game with a player
receiving 2 technical fouls and not be removed from the game and another players 5th personal foul be reversed to another player and this happened in the same game.
As a player I played against De La Salle at the Coliseum. One player shot over 30 free throws. I know all to well how refs play a huge part in the outcome of the game.
Foul count second half was Riordan 10 fouls, Serra 3...foul trouble dictates how you can defend and attack the basket.
Not complaining at all. Only two calls really bothered me in the second half. Loose ball on the floor , two players on the floor trying to get possession of the ball, it goes off Serra out of bounds, instead of calling it out of bounds, the ref calls a foul on Riordan.
Serra player goes to the basket and travels...two refs call travel the third calls a foul. What call do they stick with? The foul of course. Unreal...spin it however you want. WCAL games are so tight , it's unfair for that type of stuff. Just my opinion!

Last edited:
Reactions: SHgradSIdad
Shows what cherry-brains know. The "dinner-dance" is in the cafeteria on the lower floor of the building. You clowns have been jealous since the place opened.

Did you happen to catch during 2nd quarter Ray John Spears gets a referee's attention, there is a fan wearing a big Champion C sweatshirt in the first few rows on the Irish side of the court and the referee heads towards the security at the front and security goes over to the man and my guess is told him to stop talking to Spears? You can tell there was some communication going on between Spears and the man and he asked the ref to intervene.

Spears was a bit off his game yesterday with this appeared altercation and also with #15 on SI where the both of them were called together during a timeout by the ref and likely were told to knock it off.

Well the loss stinks but the boys team did their job. They won the BM to get it to the baseball game and they evened their non-league record to 5-5 to qualify for CCS. These remaining league games are just a formality.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Shows what cherry-brains know. The "dinner-dance" is in the cafeteria on the lower floor of the building. You clowns have been jealous since the place opened.

Nobody is jealous it’s a beautiful facility. Just can’t tell if it’s a hospital, dinning hall or gym? At the very least hang the state title banners, show some pride!

Reactions: cityfan
Did you happen to catch during 2nd quarter Ray John Spears gets a referee's attention, there is a fan wearing a big Champion C sweatshirt in the first few rows on the Irish side of the court and the referee heads towards the security at the front and security goes over to the man and my guess is told him to stop talking to Spears? You can tell there was some communication going on between Spears and the man and he asked the ref to intervene.

Spears was a bit off his game yesterday with this appeared altercation and also with #15 on SI where the both of them were called together during a timeout by the ref and likely were told to knock it off.

Well the loss stinks but the boys team did their job. They won the BM to get it to the baseball game and they evened their non-league record to 5-5 to qualify for CCS. These remaining league games are just a formality.
I saw the refs talking to him and the SI player [in their black cherry uniforms] but not the dude in the stands.

As a player I played against De La Salle at the Coliseum. One player shot over 30 free throws. I know all to well how refs play a huge part in the outcome of the game.
Foul count second half was Riordan 10 fouls, Serra 3...foul trouble dictates how you can defend and attack the basket.
Not complaining at all. Only two calls really bothered me in the second half. Loose ball on the floor , two players on the floor trying to get possession of the ball, it goes off Serra out of bounds, instead of calling it out of bounds, the ref calls a foul on Riordan.
Serra player goes to the basket and travels...two refs call travel the third calls a foul. What call do they stick with? The foul of course. Unreal...spin it however you want. WCAL games are so tight , it's unfair for that type of stuff. Just my opinion!
you should go with the violation unless the foul happened first. there really should not be 3 whistles on one play.
as for the loose ball, if Riordan player dove on top of other player its a foul. if a player is knocked off balance ball being loose is irrelevant. its a foul

the rule was not clear on the tech for delay of game according to the newspaper article.

describe the play.

you should go with the violation unless the foul happened first. there really should not be 3 whistles on one play.
as for the loose ball, if Riordan player dove on top of other player its a foul. if a player is knocked off balance ball being loose is irrelevant. its a foul
Correct but nobody dove on anyone. Both players hit the floor. No foul was called until the ball went out of bounds.

You were thrown out of a high school game as an adult spectator?

describe the play.

This is key to that argument... One time, when I was still up in Oregon, I was at a game where a coach protested loudly that the opponent had gone over-and-back. The ref politely gave a quick demonstration of the full rule. He showed that a player is with the ball *not* in forecourt until both of his feet AND the ball are over the timeline at the same time. Therefore, if said player hasn't touched the ball to the floor in frontcourt while his feet have also established themselves in the frontcourt, that player is still in backcourt and can take or pass the ball forward or backward. I'd say the purpose for this totally specific description of the rule would keep refs from having to try to make a judgement call everyyyyyy time someone gets spun around by a defender while traversing the time line.

Coach was, like... "Oh, okay... I get it now..."

Almost nobody I have ever happened to discuss this rule with (other than officials) had a full grasp of the rule, so Ayalar, if you don't have this rule "locked in", you're definitely NOT alone! Hell, I didn't know the full rule either, and probably still wouldn't if I hadn't happened to be at that particular game up in Oregon!

As far as I know, this rule applies in all levels of basketball that uses the backcourt line (I believe there may be some levels of girl's ball... in some places, anyway, that still have no backcourt).

You were thrown out of a high school game as an adult spectator?

The reason ayalar

ayalar09
You can't just start ripping off your cloths and rush the court. You should have known better.

Just having fun my man:)
Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: Crusaders70
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT