ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

all these catholic school kids... i know some real jungles to play in.... kids now a days....

lol. I remember a couple seasons ago my son was playing Stuart Hall at their dungeon and some rich privileged kid called my son soft. I looked back at him and gave him the WTF you talking about look. We grew up in the projects, my son has gone thru 3 surgeries and has earned everything he has. These kids don't know the real world!!!

The biggest crowd I recall at Drucker Court was the Mission v. S.I. in NorCal semi final three years ago. But the crowd at recent riordan/SI game was legit.

As said earlier, Serra can be the most intimidating environment in league (on selected games). SHC is the least intimidating.
SHC crowd and their gym is so sterile except for the Mahoney. They should take the queue from Seattle and pipe in crowd noise.

Friday Night Jan 24th Matchups (stream info will be updated if/when available)
Tip-off @ 7:30 pm.
  • Mitty @ Serra
    • HUGE game for both teams as Serra looks to remain in 1st place and Mitty visits The Jungle and looks to bounce back after its Tuesday loss to stay close to the leaders. A tough road game for the Monarchs in hostile territory. Game of the night!
  • St. Francis @ Riordan
    • Upstart Lancers remain in the hunt and is the WCAL Cinderella with its young sharpshooters and returning big man. Riordan comes off 2 big impressive comeback wins in a row as this team is starting to gel. Could be a trap game as the Crusaders may be looking to next Tuesday's redemption game in San Mateo. The Lancers coached by Mike Motil are not to be overlooked. Must see hoops!
  • Sacred Heart Cathedral @ Bellarmine
    • SHC needs to have an uptempo game to get its players running and shooting its three's to minimize the Bells bigs and deliberate offense. Great matchup of Irish super soph RJ Spears against Bells pg beast - Quinn Denker.
  • St. Ignatius @ Valley Christian
    • The 'Cats look to get its first WCAL win at Valley Christian on the South San Jose Hilltop. VC has had missing players due to illness and injury. If both teams are healthy, could be a game that goes down to the wire.
Friday Night Picks. Who you got?
  • Mitty
  • Riordan
  • Bellarmine
  • St. Ignatius

Last edited:
Friday Night Roundup Jan 24th
Mitty 46 Serra 45
Riordan 67 St. Francis 59
Bellarmine 85 SHC 50
SI 80 VC 56

With Serra's loss, Riordan takes sole possession of 1st place heading to the second half of the season. Next up - redemption game vs Serra at the Jungle Tuesday night. Crazy and wacky things always occur when these 2 teams meet on W. 20th. Note to Riordan - check that rim that you will be playing in the second half. Lol!

Friday Night Roundup Jan 24th
Mitty 46 Serra 45
Riordan 67 St. Francis 59
Bellarmine 85 SHC 50
SI 80 VC 56

With Serra's loss, Riordan takes sole possession of 1st place heading to the second half of the season. Next up - redemption game vs Serra at the Jungle Tuesday night. Crazy and wacky things always occur when these 2 teams meet on W. 20th. Note to Riordan - check that rim that you will be playing in the second half. Lol!

Did Riordan keep their technical foul streak going?

Did Riordan keep their technical foul streak going?
Actually, yes they did. Je'Lani got called for a T for dunking the ball as he was fouled on a breakaway. Mor got a T for dunking during halftime warmups.

I read that Mitty Coach Tim Kennedy got called for a T tonight simply putting his hand on a ref.

Controversial no call in the closing seconds that would have given Serra the win. You make the call.

No goaltending. The ball hit the backboard before he made contact with it.

Great call by the refs

you know what. After watching it multiple times. And in slow motion, I agree with Renard.

the ball was coming down and even though it had no shot at going in, Mitchell made contact with it. That by definition is a goaltend.

what a crazy call. And yes Nigel was out tonight.

I don’t see goaltending there. I didn’t see it hitting the backboard and it wasn’t even going to draw iron. If he catches it instead of of swatting it, then it’s just a rebound. Hard to get excited about that costing them the game. A good shot and they win.

From the films angle, to me the ball hits the backboard on the block more than the shooter getting the layup to the backboard and the defender making contact. IMO, the shot was well short of the basket.

would love to see if there is film on the opposite sideline of the shot (which would be view the ref who saw the shot on that side).

Also, I feel that a goaltend is one of the last possible scenarios in that situation that a ref would be looking/anticipating for. So if it happens the likelihood of a goaltend call would be slim. But if there is film from the refs view then it would bring more clarity.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Ball hitting backboard first is NBA rule only.

2019-20 NFHS Basketball Rules Book
Rule 4-22 Goaltending

Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a try or tap for field goal while the ball is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level, has the possibility of entering the basket in flight and is not touching the basket cylinder or a player touches the ball outside the cylinder during a free-throw attempt.

Last edited:
Actually, yes they did. Je'Lani got called for a T for dunking the ball as he was fouled on a breakaway. Mor got a T for dunking during halftime warmups.

I read that Mitty Coach Tim Kennedy got called for a T tonight simply putting his hand on a ref.

Coach Tim grabbed official during live play protesting no call as official turned up court to transition. More than simply putting hand on

Smart play by Mitchell-No
Goal tending-No.

I’m sure Phi Slamma Jamma wished Akeem The Dream would have spiked the ball like Mitchell in the 83 NCAA championship game, and not allowed the late Lorenzo Charles to catch it and dunk it as time ran out.

There was no chance that was going in. Good no call.
Have to agree with you. If you play the above and pause it right before it is blocked it is a pretty short air ball and in defense of the defender he swats it to get it out of the way. I also don’t see it hit the glass as some have said.

Have to agree with you. If you play the above and pause it right before it is blocked it is a pretty short air ball and in defense of the defender he swats it to get it out of the way. I also don’t see it hit the glass as some have said.
If there were a shot at the play from a better angle there would be no doubt, especially if the ball had no chance of going in.

EPJXZQrVAAEVMHG.jpg
Prep2Prep WCAL Write up by the esteemed Ethan Kassel:
http://www.prep2prep.com/story.aspx?ArticleID=30839

there are very few kids in this area who can actually goaltend a shot by the way it is written.

hell most people at high school games scream goaltending if a kid slaps the backboard.

Reactions: Crusaders70
If it has a chance, but it would have to had been like the Oswald bullet that switched angles in mid-air. No goaltend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT