ADVERTISEMENT

2019 NCS Game of the Year to Date - James Logan @ Dublin

DonniePeckerwood

Sports Fanatic
Mar 19, 2017
Reno, NV
Ahhhhhh hell yeah! Oh boy am I fired up for this one, the game of the year in Norcal to date in 2019. James Logan @ Dublin! Who woulda thought a Colt versus a half Gael, half Grizzly hybrid could be such a bad ass matchup? This game is worthy of me leaving my batcave tonight at midnight and driving all the way down the icy hill from Reno! Inspiring! Wish me safe travels please!

Personally, I do not put too much stock in early season games. It gives you a decent idea of what “tier” a team may be in generally, but throughout the course of the year teams, players, and coaches change/improve quite a bit. On the surface the changes may be subtle(unless you add a couple transfer studs!), but those who follow their squads more closely recognize the dramatic differences! You can throw the first match up between these two teams out the window, both are playing great basketball down the stretch!

If this were a 3 on 3 contest, give me James Logan please(even though Dublin easily has the best player on the floor). I really like #0, #1, and #32(who doesn’t?) for Logan. A ton of talent and versatility, that has gotta be close to any high school top 3 around NCS in any division…. Throw in the defensive presence of big/strong athletic guys like #23 and #33 and that’s one helluva starting 5. There are no breaks there.

Logan’s effort and intensity is for sure there on the defense end and nothing comes easy around the basket with their size, but I still like the way Dublin/Cal’s defense plays a little bit better. I haven’t seen them play a ton this year, but I’m glad to see they abandon that absurd press from last year’s squad that gave up wide open lay up after wide open lay up after wide open lay up early in games. That surely must have been a gimmick to speed the game up and create more possessions right??? They feasted on lesser teams that way, but struggled mightily with teams at their level and above, struggling to win post season games. Nonetheless, that is neither here nor there…. Dublin’s “grizzled” defense this year has a smart, controlled aggression about it that I haven’t quite seen out of James Logan.

Here is the deal though. At the end of the day not only is the game 5 on 5, but players 6 – 9 are critical. While Logan’s top 3 are just as good, if not potentially better than Dublin/Cal’s, players 4-9 in the rotation is a massive advantage for the “Gaels”! Every player, bird or mammal, that legendary Coach Costello throws at you, not only plays strong defense but also is a threat on offense in one form or another! Unfortunately not the same can be said of James Logan, who are incredibly thin(once you reach this level of play). Logan is going to have to shorten their bench to compete, while Dublin/Cal High will be able to run 9 or 10 relentless, more talented, and more fresh basketball players at them for 32 minutes. That will take its toll over the course of the game and lead the grizzled Gaels to their second NCS D1 title appearance in three years!

-donnie dublin

Are there advance, online ticket sales or can you buy a seat at the door? Asking for a friend...

I think they had issues with the online service last year, so now they are just doing at the door. GA seating.

This game is going to be fabulous. This and the St. Mary's/Fortuna game are tied for my two favorites. Lots of smack been talked on Logan after their past game, so it'll be interesting to see if they follow through, or if the smack talkers can continue to talk.

Beasley will be key for Dublin. If he can work around the Logan D, put up some big shots in clutch situations, Dublin will win, like t hey did at Gridley. But Logan has gotten better since then, and I'm sure this is exactly who they have wanted to face. Both teams have CIF bids clinched, but this game should decide an Open Spot.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Peckerwood, I am glad you are making the trip, it will give us something to talk about tomorrow. This will be a good game but the Colts are playing a much better all around team and the coaching comparison isn't even close. I know you think Dublin will win and I have to agree with you.

I take offense to your Dublin/Cal comment, they are playing at Dublin so no need to throw low blows in your post, almost every school has players that have moved and are now part of another schools programs. This is a game that is about the student athletes and what is best for them academically as well as athletically, in my opinion.

Did you happen to drive down the icy road for last Saturday's game between James Logan and Monte Vista? Logan has some nice players and kids that play hard but they also have some kids that are still learning how to play the game of basketball the right way. Grabbing players arms and acting like they have been pulled to the ground, walking threw and standing in the other teams huddle, players that get a foul called against them and go pout on the bench. We all mature at different times no doubt but I think this all starts at the top and is not an acceptable behavior at most of the bay area powerhouse programs.

Feasted on lessor teams? Struggled mightily against equal or above teams? You might need to brush up on your high school basketball teams. Monte Vista (19 wins), De La Salle (26 wins), Amador Valley (19 wins), Clovis East (21 wins), St. Joe's (19 wins), Dougherty Valley (19 wins) and James Logan (23 wins). Tough loss to Branson (27 wins), who still happens to be playing and will so for a while and Sheldon (20 wins), one of NorCals top teams, who is still playing. Logan has played a hard schedule, no doubt and competed well is most of those games but to say Dublin feasted on lessor teams, just isn't true.

Only two teams in the Mission Valley league won more than 16 games, Logan and Moreau. The EBAL had 5 teams with 19 wins or more? I think both teams were battle tested in the preseason and I think Dublin more so during league play.

Jaden Saunders will play one of his best games of the year. This kid thrives when the competition gets tough and the ball pressure will be the key in this game and the defenders off the bench (Costello, Alonso & Roy) will be the difference maker in my opinion.

Great season for both teams and no matter the outcome, both teams will live to fight another day, which is why they play the games!

Peckerwood, I am glad you are making the trip, it will give us something to talk about tomorrow. This will be a good game but the Colts are playing a much better all around team and the coaching comparison isn't even close. I know you think Dublin will win and I have to agree with you.

I take offense to your Dublin/Cal comment, they are playing at Dublin so no need to throw low blows in your post, almost every school has players that have moved and are now part of another schools programs. This is a game that is about the student athletes and what is best for them academically as well as athletically, in my opinion.

First off, I absolutely love the font. Nice work, classy touch! Sorry to be a tease, but I've changed me mind. Being such a strong advocate of the startup upsetcity.com, you will find me in castro valley tonight advancing the cause! It just wouldn't feel right to not be a witness. Don't sleep on the knights!

No need to be offended my friend. As a famous political commentator says, "facts don't care about your feelings." Just poking a little fun at the truth. I'm actually all for players transferring in most cases. You only get four years and I think kids should be able to maximize those four years the way they/their parents see fit if basketball/sports is that important to them. I think it's ridiculous when they make kids sit out 25% of their high school "career" for wanting to change/improve their basketball and/or school experience. Robbing kids of a year they will NEVER get back for making a change is absurd. I'm sure many disagree, but that's just me. I hope the move has worked out well for the transfers, I trust it has so far!

Feasted on lessor teams? Struggled mightily against equal or above teams? You might need to brush up on your high school basketball teams. Monte Vista (19 wins), De La Salle (26 wins), Amador Valley (19 wins), Clovis East (21 wins), St. Joe's (19 wins), Dougherty Valley (19 wins) and James Logan (23 wins). Tough loss to Branson (27 wins), who still happens to be playing and will so for a while and Sheldon (20 wins), one of NorCals top teams, who is still playing. Logan has played a hard schedule, no doubt and competed well is most of those games but to say Dublin feasted on lessor teams, just isn't true.

Only two teams in the Mission Valley league won more than 16 games, Logan and Moreau. The EBAL had 5 teams with 19 wins or more? I think both teams were battle tested in the preseason and I think Dublin more so during league play.

Reading comprehension my man. It appears you may have gotten a little riled up when originally reading my post and missed the little things and the details! This was a reference to LAST YEAR'S Dublin team. Dublin was quite a bit more talented than MV, DLS, and AV last year and feasted on lessor teams for the most part with that reckless zone press early in games. Not the case this year though in my opinion from what I've seen, I was saying that I like the way the defense is playing this year much better than last year. Sorry if you took it as a backhanded compliment, but I was praising the Gaels and the change in style on the defensive end this season.

Last but not least, no shame at all losing to Branson this year. Have you not heard, the MCAL is just about the best league in Norcal!? Just ask ballhawkeye(I'll cut bitter branson buddy some slack for a change)! Redwood over BOD tonight is a LOCK. Even though it's a #4 @ #1, I don't even consider this an upset. The mcal is THAT good!

Good luck to Dublin tonight even though I do not think they will be needing it. The three players you mentioned above are very good along with the rest of the squad.

- Donnie I-80

Last edited:
Reactions: SheldonCooper

Did you happen to drive down the icy road for last Saturday's game between James Logan and Monte Vista? Logan has some nice players and kids that play hard but they also have some kids that are still learning how to play the game of basketball the right way. Grabbing players arms and acting like they have been pulled to the ground, walking threw and standing in the other teams huddle, players that get a foul called against them and go pout on the bench. We all mature at different times no doubt but I think this all starts at the top and is not an acceptable behavior at most of the bay area powerhouse programs.

Jaden Saunders will play one of his best games of the year. This kid thrives when the competition gets tough and the ball pressure will be the key in this game and the defenders off the bench (Costello, Alonso & Roy) will be the difference maker in my opinion.

Great season for both teams and no matter the outcome, both teams will live to fight another day, which is why they play the games!

Great Points...The one that Stands out the Most Strength of Schedule and League Play EBAL > MVAL

First off, I absolutely love the font. Nice work, classy touch! Sorry to be a tease, but I've changed me mind. Being such a strong advocate of the startup upsetcity.com, you will find me in castro valley tonight advancing the cause! It just wouldn't feel right to not be a witness. Don't sleep on the knights!

No need to be offended my friend. As a famous political commentator says, "facts don't care about your feelings." Just poking a little fun at the truth. I'm actually all for players transferring in most cases. You only get four years and I think kids should be able to maximize those four years the way they/their parents see fit if basketball/sports is that important to them. I think it's ridiculous when they make kids sit out 25% of their high school "career" for wanting to change/improve their basketball and/or school experience. Robbing kids of a year they will NEVER get back for making a change is absurd. I'm sure many disagree, but that's just me. I hope the move has worked out well for the transfers, I trust it has so far!

Reading comprehension my man. It appears you may have gotten a little riled up when originally reading my post and missed the little things and the details! This was a reference to LAST YEAR'S Dublin team. Dublin was quite a bit more talented than MV, DLS, and AV last year and feasted on lessor teams for the most part with that reckless zone press early in games. Not the case this year though in my opinion from what I've seen, I was saying that I like the way the defense is playing this year much better than last year. Sorry if you took it as a backhanded compliment, but I was praising the Gaels and the change in style on the defensive end this season.

Last but not least, no shame at all losing to Branson this year. Have you not heard, the MCAL is just about the best league in Norcal!? Just ask ballhawkeye(I'll cut bitter branson buddy some slack for a change)! Redwood over BOD tonight is a LOCK. Even though it's a #4 @ #1, I don't even consider this an upset. The mcal is THAT good!

Good luck to Dublin tonight even though I do not think they will be needing it. The three players you mentioned above are very good along with the rest of the squad.

- Donnie I-80
Donnie,
I think you picked the wrong game, not sure how your game turned out but this was one of the most exciting basketball games I have seen since Dublin nipped Heritage last year at home 105-103 or something crazy like that, in 2OT's. I would have played the game under protest after the 5th foul on a Logan player was overturned. I have never seen a ref overturn the home scorebook and go with the visiting scorebook, which looks like was being done by a Logan student. The two delay of games on #0, which resulted in a T, I have never seen before and I was unaware it goes against the team and not the player, good rule actually, if that's the case. Both team played their hearts out and it's unfortunate one side finishes on the wrong end but that's why they play the game.

I made a comment about the Dublin having the coaching advantage, which I still believe is true but I was impressed with Logan's game plan and how they had scouted Dublin and some of their plays but like any great coaches, adjustments were made and Dublin really picked up the pace and Beasley started doing his thing and gave them a much needed boost & was unstoppable for a while.

Logan is tough and gritty, still not a huge fan of some of the sh$& talking and antics they display at times but they overcome their short comings and still find a way to win and that's impressive. Thompson's, Hawkins and Oldham were all huge in this game for the Colts. I thought Manning, Beasley and McMahon were huge for the Gaels and Saunders made two huge free throws and a deep corner 3 to tie the game at 83.

Not sure why D1 played on Wednesday and then again on Friday while Campo & Salesian also played last night and they play on Saturday.

I am selfishly hoping that Logan & Dublin meet again in NorCals, that would be a must see game!!

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Incredible game last night! Hats off to Logan. For a High School Hoop Game...Well worth the Price of Admission. Holy SMOKES!!! The ferocious Block off the Glass then the Blind Turn Around 3 From Way OUT!

why does everyone seem to have a problem with the so called /antics/ of logan yet cheer on draymond, curry and kerr with their constant crying... oh and through in ayesha too

Reactions: hoopjunkie21
why does everyone seem to have a problem with the so called /antics/ of logan yet cheer on draymond, curry and kerr with their constant crying... oh and through in ayesha too

Ankleassassin:
Great questions and I will honestly say that I am not a fan of Draymond when he looses it and his antics have cost his team a Championship, in my opinion. I think as adults and fans, we would like to see these young student athletes do the right thing, act the right way & play the game the right way. We are not perfect but I think coaches try harder then ever to teach these young kids the game of basketball but also the game called life. Coaches are attached to these kids for a very long time, even after they graduate, they come back, work camps and tournaments and coaches will do whatever it takes to help their former players out.

Is it to much to ask that these kids just play the game of basketball and not go nose to nose talking trash all game long. It's not just Logan players but players from all over, Logan just seems to be in the spotlight after last Saturday's game against Monte Vista and last nights win against Dublin. By no means am I or we singling out Logan players, it happens in almost every game that is being played. Some coaches and I will name a few, never accept this type of behavior and if it happens, there are consequenses for their actions. Craig Ashmore (Newark), Billy Mellis (Salesian), Tim Kennedy (Mitty) & Charles Rapp (Serra), their players are taught this from day one, 1st day of practice, thru summer leagues and tournaments and I know this cause I help run a 44 team tournament every year and have seen these coaches up close and personal in our tournament as well as in the games I've watched over the years. It's not just about basketball for these coaches and fine men but about teaching these players lifelong skills, fundamentals and building character that they will take with them after they leave their programs.

It can cost your team a win, as it almost did last night (Logan up 83-78) and how awful would a player feel after getting a technical, the other team makes 2 free throws and then hits a corner 3 and with a blink of an eye, your game is now tied. Not only is he disappointed and feels awful but he teammates would feel that he kind of let us down. Team before individual and I know these young men are learning and they are not done maturing and mistakes will be made but I am hoping that over the next few years, we see less and less of this and more and more of the great game we love watching and supporting.

Few quotes from some movies that kind of stick with me.

Miracle: The name on the front of your jersey is a heck of a lot more important then the name of the back.

Miracle: I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones.

Reactions: damim
Ankleassassin:
Great questions and I will honestly say that I am not a fan of Draymond when he looses it and his antics have cost his team a Championship, in my opinion. I think as adults and fans, we would like to see these young student athletes do the right thing, act the right way & play the game the right way. We are not perfect but I think coaches try harder then ever to teach these young kids the game of basketball but also the game called life. Coaches are attached to these kids for a very long time, even after they graduate, they come back, work camps and tournaments and coaches will do whatever it takes to help their former players out.

Is it to much to ask that these kids just play the game of basketball and not go nose to nose talking trash all game long. It's not just Logan players but players from all over, Logan just seems to be in the spotlight after last Saturday's game against Monte Vista and last nights win against Dublin. By no means am I or we singling out Logan players, it happens in almost every game that is being played. Some coaches and I will name a few, never accept this type of behavior and if it happens, there are consequenses for their actions. Craig Ashmore (Newark), Billy Mellis (Salesian), Tim Kennedy (Mitty) & Charles Rapp (Serra), their players are taught this from day one, 1st day of practice, thru summer leagues and tournaments and I know this cause I help run a 44 team tournament every year and have seen these coaches up close and personal in our tournament as well as in the games I've watched over the years. It's not just about basketball for these coaches and fine men but about teaching these players lifelong skills, fundamentals and building character that they will take with them after they leave their programs.

It can cost your team a win, as it almost did last night (Logan up 83-78) and how awful would a player feel after getting a technical, the other team makes 2 free throws and then hits a corner 3 and with a blink of an eye, your game is now tied. Not only is he disappointed and feels awful but he teammates would feel that he kind of let us down. Team before individual and I know these young men are learning and they are not done maturing and mistakes will be made but I am hoping that over the next few years, we see less and less of this and more and more of the great game we love watching and supporting.

Few quotes from some movies that kind of stick with me.

Miracle: The name on the front of your jersey is a heck of a lot more important then the name of the back.

Miracle: I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones.
the right way... i guess it is all relative... i am gonna win at all cost

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT