ADVERTISEMENT

A dynasty for the ages

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
For devoted prep hoops followers of a certain age, 2018 marks the 60th anniversary of the start of the greatest run by a Bay Area program in history. McClymonds of Oakland went 110-1 from 1958 to 1962. The Warriors (not the professional version) strode the high school scene like a colossus. Mack produced a parade of outstanding players including the likes of Paul Silas, Jim Hadnot, Joe Ellis, Ed Thomas, James Tolliver, Cha Cha McKinney, the Pointer brothers, Aaron and Fritz, and more. All were African-Americans. Their coach was a white man, Paul Harless. At one point in the era before the Internet and cable-TV, the Warriors were rated No.1 in the nation. They dominated the annual Tournament of Champions, a NorCal forerunner of CIF section playoffs. If you were fortunate to have seen Mack play (or played against them) during that period, you well understood what you were witnessing: Simply the best of the best.

My dad's best friend went to mcClymonds and has always talked about the school of
Champions which is what the school is still referred to by many people and it is because
of this era that took place many proud alum have stood up and backed this school from
talk of being closed.There are many many people that hold this era of basketball
and what they accomplished near and dear to there heart.

Before my time, but I am certainly aware of Mack's past greatness... Didn't know the specific numbers, though...

A few years earlier, they had a great run also, with Bill Russell dominating the middle. Wiki says they won state championships his junior and senior years. I know they had no state tourney... Don't know if the old Tournament of Champions had started yet... So those may be mythical titles given by writers or something.

In any case, the 50's and 60's pretty much belonged to Mack, plain and simple.

Before my time, but I am certainly aware of Mack's past greatness... Didn't know the specific numbers, though...

A few years earlier, they had a great run also, with Bill Russell dominating the middle. Wiki says they won state championships his junior and senior years. I know they had no state tourney... Don't know if the old Tournament of Champions had started yet... So those may be mythical titles given by writers or something.

In any case, the 50's and 60's pretty much belonged to Mack, plain and simple.

Russell did not start at Mack as a junior. He started and played only during the first semester of his senior year. He graduated in January and then played on a touring amateur circuit the rest of the year. He was relatively unknown. Only USF was seriously interested in Russell who was very raw and possessed few offensive skills. Defensive expertise was something else again. Additionally, very few colleges were recruiting black talent at that time. Russell, several years ahead of Wilt, changed the game for all-time.

For devoted prep hoops followers of a certain age, 2018 marks the 60th anniversary of the start of the greatest run by a Bay Area program in history. McClymonds of Oakland went 110-1 from 1958 to 1962. The Warriors (not the professional version) strode the high school scene like a colossus. Mack produced a parade of outstanding players including the likes of Paul Silas, Jim Hadnot, Joe Ellis, Ed Thomas, James Tolliver, Cha Cha McKinney, the Pointer brothers, Aaron and Fritz, and more. All were African-Americans. Their coach was a white man, Paul Harless. At one point in the era before the Internet and cable-TV, the Warriors were rated No.1 in the nation. They dominated the annual Tournament of Champions, a NorCal forerunner of CIF section playoffs. If you were fortunate to have seen Mack play (or played against them) during that period, you well understood what you were witnessing: Simply the best of the best.

I always have a spot in my heart for Mack. Hope they can get the support they need for the school. Always looked for them to come to the GIBT. Would love to see Damario Sims have something to do with a resurgence.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Doug Harris has done some great documentaries on Nor Cal's TOC:

MACK's run in the 50/60's:

OAL basketball in the 70's:

MACK Warriors were the team in the 50/60's in the Bay Area basketball....... over the years, have sent many players who then went on the NBA: (and ABA, Jim Hadnot) ... and one playground legend Hook Mitchell...

bill russell
paul silas
antonio davis
joe ellis
nate williams
odis addison
paul napolitano
will cherry

Here is another youtube clip of Gary Payton and Jason Kidd talking about "the old days" in Oakland playground parks: (watch funny section when Jason talked some smack to Gary in game and how Gary reacted)

Last edited:
And I always pictured colhenrylives as a really young guy. Damn. He must be damn near 100.

Ah, yes, those were the days, well before the invention of the wheel and the three-point shot when offensive goal-tending was legal (thank you, Bill Russell, for creating that novel move in 1953), the key actually looked like a key and there was no shot clock whatsoever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT