ADVERTISEMENT

A Nightmare in Santa Cruz

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Having a bad day, pal? Well, take a moment and think about the Santa Cruz football program. They were 0-9, with three forfeits. Their other six losses were shutouts. SC gave up 308 points in those six running-clock debacles, a ghastly 51 points per outing. They didn't tally a single digit in 2023. And you thought you had it tough. Just shoot me.

Last edited:
Having a bad day, pal? Well, take a moment and think about the Santa Cruz football program. They were 0-9, with three forfeits. Their other six losses were shutouts. SC gave up 308 points in those six running-clock debacles, a ghastly 51 points per outing. They didn't tally a single digit in 2023. And you thought you had it tough. Just shoot me.
You gotta feel for these kids and coaches. I don’t know what led to a group transferring to Soquel and leaving SC high and dry, but you have to credit those who stuck it out and took such a beating all year. Football is such a tough sport, even while winning. For them to show up and endure physical and other humiliation week after week shows their love of the game and dedication. Hoping this experience motivates each of these players as they face whatever is ahead in life- you have to pick yourself up, shake it off and get back to the huddle!

Santa Cruz had a lot of athletic talent in the mid- to late 1980s when guys like Johnny Johnson (New York Jets) and Glenallen Hill (Cubs, Giants) were playing multi sports. Led by Johnson, they beat Soquel in a memorable game to snap a long losing streak to the Knights. Those guys also played hoops for Pete Newell Jr. Johnson played football at San Jose State and for a while joined the hoops team and led them in scoring and rebounding when the regular starters boycotted the team for some reason. That's all off point, though ... what formerD1backer said is astute. Those kids will take some static now but at least they were out there trying.

Reactions: FormerD1Backer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT