ADVERTISEMENT

Aidan Mahaney...

I agree, it does smell rather Michigan-ish. I've already looked at their roster to see what kind of room they might have there... But with a new head coach and a lot of noise about Michigan raiding the portal... Who knows?

Could be across the hill at CAL also. Def struggled this year against size and athletic guards. Wish him the best.

Reactions: ayalar09
This is kind of a stunner even with the absolute insanity of the transfer portal. This is the first time it's really hit St. Mary's in a negative way. I'm not a St. Mary's fan but this sucks.

maybe the fella wants to go play big time ball and get paid. no real college life in moraga compared to san diego..

ask ayalar

Aidan probably wanted to see what the world is like since all he's known is Moraga. Someone go do a welfare check on Kiddman. Not sure his heart is doing to well after this news.

Reactions: larry legend33
Just got back from a welfare check on myself... Kiddman seems okay. :)

TBH, I had already chosen not to renew my Gaels ticket. I prefer going to high-school games anyway.

Whatever Aidan thinks is best for Aidan is fine with me.
is st marys that hot of a ticket that they sell out?

Season tix allotment sells out pretty quickly, and the designated areas for single-game buyers aren't very big.

Sometimes they open up more seats for single-game buyers during student breaks, and those are really good seats.

My plan before Aidan left was to not buy the season tix, and get a few single game tix here and there. Games are almost all on ESPN+ now, and I don't particularly enjoy the game experience there... As a matter of fact, last year I left a couple tickets unused while I went to Campo games.

Now, I don't even feel the need to go there at all.

Back when Jordan Ford was there, I went to a few games... Tix were MUCH easier to come by back then, except for the Gonzaga game. Those have probably sold out long before game day since Monson was coaching the Zags.

I would have an idea that NIT game filled the gym, or close to it...

Back when Jordan Ford was there, I went to a few games... Tix were MUCH easier to come by back then, except for the Gonzaga game. Those have probably sold out long before game day since Monson was coaching the Zags.

I would have an idea that NIT game filled the gym, or close to it...
Kiddman do you know if Saint Mary’s has a solid NIL program??

Kiddman do you know if Saint Mary’s has a solid NIL program??

They don’t and it’s one of the reasons why he left.

These are the schools he’s heard from since announcing the transfer:

Duke, UConn, Kentucky, Florida, USC, Virginia, Villanova, Alabama, Creighton, Michigan, Ole Miss, Cal, Colorado, St John’s, Xavier and Arkansas

He can essentially go to any school he wants, the world is currently his oyster.

I’m going to go Uconn, because to me that’s the type of spot you leave St Mary’s for.

USC an option if he wants to stay in state, Cal the option if he wants to remain in the Bay Area.

Arkansas and Caliparis ability to prepare guards for the next level might also surprise some people. Guy can recruit and turn guys into NBA players, but one thing he can’t do it is win.

I know the Gaels DO have an NIL program (there's a link right on their basketball website), but since I've never paid any attention to it, I have no idea how it compares to others, really...

But I would think any school with just some 4000 undergrads, no matter how excellent their hoops program may be, wouldn't be able to afford the luxury as well as one of these gigantic schools with 20k undergrads or more..

At least they don't have to do the same for a big football roster, since they don't have one... But still, I'd think their NIL is pretty small compared to the huge schools.

Where did you find this list of schools that have contacted Aidan? Is it a reliable source?

okay, found that list, apparently from Aidan himself (according to 24/7 recruiting site)

This is a tough one. If he went to a Uconn he would be a 4-5th option like Joey Calcattera was. Great to have but as a true soph right now going into his Jr year does Aidan want that? Joey was one of those old 5th year players who was great in that system. Def don't see UK, Duke, or any of those big-time programs. Creighton makes sense which is a small private university with a bigger basketball following than St Marys.

N.I.L. He will surely become a Millionaire. He is the 8th highest portal player available.
I think San Diego State, Arkansas, Texas will be the favorites.

Go to any AAU tourney and its pretty much the cesspool of society. You wonder why these kids are the way they are. Look at their parents. I always wonder where they work? Or do they?
where does one work have to do with how someone acts at a basketball game? and have you seen the price it cost to play aau? its pretty outrageous so they must work.
also, you surely do not think parents are well behaved at january games between jesuit and oak ridge do you? those some parents are aau parents.

Reactions: EHS HOOPS
Don't be surprised if Zion or Mikey are not at St. Marys to start the year
I know both players well, while I could see them transferring at some point both are pretty committed to st Mary’s for next year.

Btw that article is good insight. Helicopter parents and how to navigate them are an integral part of the high school landscape at this point,

I know both players well, while I could see them transferring at some point both are pretty committed to st Mary’s for next year.

Btw that article is good insight. Helicopter parents and how to navigate them are an integral part of the high school landscape at this point,
in every sport. i mean it is your child and any parent on here should always be over protective of their own

where does one work have to do with how someone acts at a basketball game? and have you seen the price it cost to play aau? its pretty outrageous so they must work.
also, you surely do not think parents are well behaved at january games between jesuit and oak ridge do you? those some parents are aau parents.
They are all bad. AAU is the modern day And1 tour. Total trash and its showing by the crappy players that are coming into college. Limited skills, crappy attitudes, and lack of ownership. Dan Hurley is a lot like his dad and probably the nearest thing to a bobby knight that we have today. Just a tough SOB who loves his kids and protects the cultural of winning and playing the right way. And few can play for him.

They are all bad. AAU is the modern day And1 tour. Total trash and its showing by the crappy players that are coming into college. Limited skills, crappy attitudes, and lack of ownership. Dan Hurley is a lot like his dad and probably the nearest thing to a bobby knight that we have today. Just a tough SOB who loves his kids and protects the cultural of winning and playing the right way. And few can play for him.
everyone of his players played aau basketball. he also took in several transfers. every D1 coach is tough for the most part. screaming and yelling doesnt mean you are do anything better. several ways to skin a cat. steve kerr doesnt yell and he is the greatest coach to ever live.
that said, danny hurley won 2 titles which is great but lets not crown him yet.

Reactions: M.C. fan
and 1 was purely entertainment and has zero to do with high school basketball players. aau is there for a means so buddy at jesuit or ponderosa can be seen by more schools. cuz nobody is flying into ponderosa airport to recruit.

and 1 was purely entertainment and has zero to do with high school basketball players. aau is there for a means so buddy at jesuit or ponderosa can be seen by more schools. cuz nobody is flying into ponderosa airport to recruit.
There is something else going on which hasnt been mentioned. Notice how NBA teams are drafting and filling roster spots with European players vs the old way of drafting American-born players? It's a global game now and the players who are not American are playing / developing pro skills that translate "better" to the NBA game. The AAU main attraction is exposure. I cant tell you what pro scouts are looking for but its most likely they are looking for the next Giannis, Jokic, Doncic.

There is something else going on which hasnt been mentioned. Notice how NBA teams are drafting and filling roster spots with European players vs the old way of drafting American-born players? It's a global game now and the players who are not American are playing / developing pro skills that translate "better" to the NBA game. The AAU main attraction is exposure. I cant tell you what pro scouts are looking for but its most likely they are looking for the next Giannis, Jokic, Doncic.

This is spot on and why guys should be going to Europe if they want to go pro, not Austraillia or the G League.

The top picks in the upcoming draft are all French! Oui Oui!

thank the fathers who couldnt make it into the nba and went to europe and made them babies.
it maybe global... but the best players are still patriots as a whole. USA USA USA!
college basketball is a billion dollar effort. that aint going away

Here's the latest info on Aidan's Portal Adventure:

"PORTAL NEWS: An update on Aidan Mahaney's recruitment, per his AAU coach@RyanSilver1of West Coast Elite:

* Mahaney has already visited Creighton
* Has visits set up to Virginia and UConn

His final visit will come down to Florida, USC or Kentucky."

So, either Michigan is out, or Aidan has gotten enough info from interviews with them to make a decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT