ADVERTISEMENT

Are 7x7 teams overrated or underrated?

TMJA

Superstar
Nov 6, 2014
If you are a top level college program, is 7x7 an important part of your evaluation?

"I will NEVER talk to a 7 on 7 coach" -David Shaw- Stanford

"7v7's are a joke, we're not even allowed to go to them" -Jim Harbaugh

Reactions: mshNASTY
Not a simple yes or no -- they can be helpful in developing skill (route running, pass catching, WR connecting with their QB) - it gets blurry when it is abused -- primarily to make money on the backs of HS kids. AAU has taken flak in the past for same reason for lack of skill development, too many events, very poor coaching, etc., especially in basketball.

It is never a bad thing to stay involved in the sport during the off-season and staying in shape. However, I think the actual skill development and how college coaches view it is pretty limited.

Agree with Streak.
1315iii did No 7 on 7. Casual passing league run by HS coaches (not the off the hook "we are all D1" guys promoting theirs.) Two summer group sessions with Theder after soph year. None further as he felt he "learned it all first Saturday." Very good training Jr year by HS QB guru who came in for one year(school's best) then let go. Outrated the EBAL MVP and another Elite 11. One rating point less than the other E11. School record.

If trying to get to next level as a QB this wouldn't be the typical pathway. Exposure, self promotion, etc. seem to be the norm these days.

Last edited:
Not a simple yes or no -- they can be helpful in developing skill (route running, pass catching, WR connecting with their QB) - it gets blurry when it is abused -- primarily to make money on the backs of HS kids. AAU has taken flak in the past for same reason for lack of skill development, too many events, very poor coaching, etc., especially in basketball.
I think RunningRon has the best description of 7 on 7 or passing leagues, the passing leagues are more useful as the kids get to work as a team more closely and when the passing leagues are over, the winner gets the bragging rights and its possible early just starting on a passing attack...

NoBay is right. Most of the colleges looking at dual sport jr and iii were very interested due to skills in each, esp. the D1 schools. Premise being recruitability in one while having to split time in HS for both, the college upside was even better becoming sport specific. Great example is Goff.

They're extremely important in my opinion though no player should be recruited soley on what they can do without pads and a helmet.

It does wonders for the passing game. I've seen it first hand. No so much the tournaments, those are simply about who comes in prepared for those. But rather getting some combined practices in the spring and summer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT