ADVERTISEMENT

ARHSStats Crusader Classic

60th Crusader Classic Scores
First Round Games
San Ramon Valley 71 Mission 53
Leading Scorers
SRV: Sebastian Scott 21 pts; Pat Deely 15 pts & 7 rebs; Michael Santich 10 pts
M: Ben Knight 20 pts & 9 rebs; Jaraughn Torno 13 pts; David Sonnier 10 pts & 5 rebs

Archbishop Riordan 73 Sacred Heart Prep 54
Leading Scorers
AR: Je'Lani Clark 16 pts & 6 asts; Dominic Wilson 14 pts & 8 rebs; Zach Quanico 12 pts; Justice Turner 11 pts & 5 rebs
SHP: Brendan Carney 17pts; Jai Deshpande 16pts

60th Crusader Classic Scores
First Round Games
San Ramon Valley 71 Mission 53
Leading Scorers
SRV: Sebastian Scott 21 pts; Pat Deely 15 pts & 7 rebs; Michael Santich 10 pts
M: Ben Knight 20 pts & 9 rebs; Jaraughn Torno 13 pts; David Sonnier 10 pts & 5 rebs

Archbishop Riordan 73 Sacred Heart Prep 54
Leading Scorers
AR: Je'Lani Clark 16 pts & 6 asts; Dominic Wilson 14 pts & 8 rebs; Zach Quanico 12 pts; Justice Turner 11 pts & 5 rebs
SHP: Brendan Carney 17pts; Jai Deshpande 16pts

Few takeaways from watching the stream. Roy Yuan of St. Francis set the record with 45 3's in the 14 league games in the 2018 season. That may be in danger this season with Quanico. I dont think any of the 3s he made even touched the rim. He's good for 3 to 4 3's a game. This is what makes Riordan so dangerous is you cant leave this guy open. Jelani is going to get to the rim and get his shot pretty much every time. Prep was a bit undersized yesterday so there was a big rebounding disparity. Riiny I'm not yet sold on. It's like watching a baby giraffe run. His height is going to bother some people but I dont think in crunch time hes going to be in the death lineup.

I agree that 3-pointers get the Crusaders offense going. However, they live and die by that right now (ie. Dublin game).
They miss Mack Yates as that corner shooter, and Turner is just starting to hit that shot. I agree that Riiny won't be in the death lineup, as he and his cousin are raw, but athletic. As they say, you can't coach height. The offense will definitely get better with Bryce as he can do it all.

What's the word on Kamiri Smith at Mission? Noticed he's not on the roster.

Riordan-SRV should be good one in the semis

Smith left school at beginning of year. 5 schools in 4 years. Whereabouts unknown.

I was impressed with Riordan physically. Not traditionally big, but the core group is physically strong. The center is a twig, however plays pretty big and agile. Je'Lani Clark is turning into a nice sized guard. Has a college body already. Junior? Still a little emotional, tempered on defense, but has outstanding court vision. Game is very slow to him (a good thing). Looks like a kid who plays to his competition.

Credit to SHP for keeping it close, just didnt have depth of Riordan squad and got worn down in second half. Not sure of year of cousin centers, but if juniors, this is a team that will be very good in a year, and will compete this year. With the SHC kid starting in January, their might be an issue of one ball, too many guys. Best Riordan team in years.

BTW, nice crowd last night for a first-round.

What's the word on Kamiri Smith at Mission? Noticed he's not on the roster.

Riordan-SRV should be good one in the semis

Just weird. His sister Rainah stayed all 4 years at SH. Didnt bounce around. Was a big contributor to the success of the girls program while she was a 3 year varsity player. However this is life and Ive come across many siblings that are very much the opposite of the other.

I agree that 3-pointers get the Crusaders offense going. However, they live and die by that right now (ie. Dublin game).
They miss Mack Yates as that corner shooter, and Turner is just starting to hit that shot. I agree that Riiny won't be in the death lineup, as he and his cousin are raw, but athletic. As they say, you can't coach height. The offense will definitely get better with Bryce as he can do it all.
Crusaders will cause defensive matchup challenges for its opponents once Bryce joins the team. Teams will be forced to focus on Je'lani and Bryce leaving Quanico and others open. Riiny, Johnson and Wilson just need to run the floor, rebound, block shots...Sophs McPherson and Hubbard getting playing time and contributing. Key will be the development of this team-especially on defense and hitting their open shots. Good to see this team facing strong competition in non-league. Lots of flexibility in facing either man, zone or full court pressure...

Last edited:
Crusaders will cause defensive matchup challenges for its opponents once Bryce joins the team. Teams will be forced to focus on Je'lani and Bryce leaving Quanico and others open. Riiny, Johnson and Wilson just need to run the floor, rebound, block shots...Sophs McPherson and Hubbard getting playing time and contributing. Key will be the development of this team-especially on defense and hitting their open shots. Good to see this team facing strong competition in non-league. Lots of flexibility in facing either man, zone or full court pressure...

Will be interesting to see when competition gets stiffer in league play if Riordan can play with the same defensive aggressiveness. I saw a lot of forced turnovers from tight man-to-man, overplaying passing lanes, etc. And this is where their depth is so key because Curtin has guys like Ugbaja, Hubbard, Wilson, Henderson, McPherson, Turner. I saw these kids really clamp down defensively their guy. I think when it comes down to it, opposing teams will play zone vs Riordan, force Jelani and Bryce to do it themselves which they are totally capable of doing, however this might sucker them into the hero ball mentality. Other players may not get touches and be less engaged. I think you saw how dangerous they can be yesterday with the sharing/passing.

Reactions: jordan24
Bryce Monroe in the starting lineup tonight for the Crusaders.

Bryce Monroe in the starting lineup tonight for the Crusaders.
I would never ever play man vs Riordan; too quick, too athletic...I know its early on, but they have to had been practicing some kind of zone offense right? Middle is wide open. Would like to see more dribble drives against it with Monroe too. Seems like he can get anywhere he wants. That said, 33-24 at the half, Riordan.

If Riordan is going to screw around like this they are not going to go far in NorCals.
It’s November...
Agreed it is ONLY November. Plenty of time for JC and his staff to implement things. They resemble a very good AAA/OAL team of the late 80s early 90s. Not much post presence but guys that can fly, athletic, and streaky. I would see how deep they can go and just go hell on wheels, Lippi style of Skyline High and push tempo the whole game. Curious to see how this team will improve from now to League. Lotta work needs to be done, theyre far from a finished product, but I could see the potential. The question also begs to be asked, will they be coachable. The game was called like a game at Serra and 9-3 at one point in favor of SRV and Riordan lost its composure from frustration of the lack of officiating but also their composure. Give credit to them though, they held SRV to 11 I think in the 4th after being tied at 45 after 3. Lets see how they come along before absurd predictions on Norcals and what not.

Totally agree with the assessments. I think it says something that Riordan doesn’t havent to bring their A game to win which is scary. They won’t have a problem scoring points. I think they can be 3-happy. Jelani and Bryce can get any mid range or floater they want at any time. This is such a luxury when 3s aren’t falling. Jelani definitely has grown man’s game this season. His body has filled out to where it’s just hard to body him. He has length, quickness, hops and he’s added strength. I predict WCAL POY for him this year.

Putting up 28 points in the final quarter provides a glimpse of the Crusader’s explosive scoring potential. It’s early, but Crusaders need to improve their overall D, especially switching and down low in the blocks. Crusader Classic providing valuable game experience leading into the Gridley Tourney next week. Riordan’s first game is against Lippi’s St. Joe’s team. Always a well coached and talented team. If they beat the Pilots, it sets up a potential semifinal game vs Salesian. This isn’t the Acalanes tourney anymore.

Reactions: OneDNA
Championship Semi Finals
Archbishop Riordan 73
San Ramon Valley 56
Saint Francis (La Canada) 59 Oakland Tech 48

Championship Sat @ 7:30 pm
Archbishop Riordan vs St. Francis-La Canada (SoCal)

Leading Scorers (AR-SRV)
AR:
Bryce Monroe 20 pts & 3 asts; Je'Lani Clark 18 pts, 7 rebs & 4 asts; Justice Turner 13 pts & 6 rebs; Chime Ugbaja 11 pts, 5 rebs, & 4 stls; De'Sean Johnson 5 pts & 6 rebs
SRV: Pat Deely 19 pts & 5 rebs; Sebastian Scott 11 pts

Last edited:
Reactions: cherylbaustin
Really tough physical game right now. Pretty evenly matched. Glad Bryce wasn’t seriously hurt on that loose ball collision at half court. Camera panned towards action before showing what happened. I predict Jelani time in the 4th quarter.

Really tough physical game right now. Pretty evenly matched. Glad Bryce wasn’t seriously hurt on that loose ball collision at half court. Camera panned towards action before showing what happened. I predict Jelani time in the 4th quarter.

Riordan has a ways to go, they aren't playing good "team" ball consistently at this point. It will take awhile longer for them to put it all together to be formidable.

Riordan has a ways to go, they aren't playing good "team" ball consistently at this point. It will take awhile longer for them to put it all together to be formidable.
Agree. This is a work in progess. It's going to take time, but credit goes to St. Francis. They played with poise and confidence - like a WCAL team. D has a lot of work to do (especially against the dribble drive and switch). They need to attack against the press and force an uptempo game. Crusader bigs need to get more physical and box out. They will need to improve quickly as the Gridley Tourney is up next.

Saw st Joe's play should be a really good game between these two schools up in Gridley with
The winner moving on face salesian in the semi's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT