ADVERTISEMENT

As The LaVar Turns...

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
News came out today that LaVar has pulled LiAngelo out of UCLA.

Also, according to "a source close to the UCLA program", UCLA is done with the Ball family altogether and won't offer LaMelo (or rescinds the offer if it has already happened).

Helicopter parents, learn a lesson...

Cant quite get a beat on it but i have a feeling the lakers are feeling the same way . GM's always want to make it look like they 'Hit Gold' in the draft but who know's, Its LA the Land of Actors .

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
I liked LaVar at first, thought he was just a proud parent who liked to talk about his kids (and the system he allegedly developed for them at Chino Hills). Sorta funny, sorta interesting, and kind of a breath of fresh air. And the kids, especially Lonzo, were living up to the LaHype.

But right around the time LaVar started saying things like how he could beat MJ one-on-one and that Lonzo was better than Steph Curry, he went right over the top. And then when he started up that ridiculous Big Ball Brand crap and how he would take down Nike and Adidas, he went farrrrrrrr over the top.

And now, pulling his kids out of school, etc... LaVar can take his brats and just... Go away. FAR away.

Reactions: coachlittle
LaVar is playing the public and media. Whats the saying? "Any publicity is good publicity". If he said things that made sense or within reason, no one would say did you hear what he said? So he opts to say the most over the top things to keep his name and most importantly, HIS FAMILY BRAND in the news. And he doesnt even have to pay for these mentions thus getting free advertising! Genius.

The success/failure of BBB has yet to be determined. However he wants to run his life and his family's life is his business. If he fails fine. If he succeeds then hes ultimately gets the last laugh at all the haters.

Kiddman32- I'm in your court. I thought the same but now I'm beginning to think he's on a path of destruction. I think Lonzo is a fine player who really needs to get into the gym and work on his shot. (that is the understatement of the year I know) He's one of the better rebounding guards in the league right now. At some point if he can get some consistency there is no reason he can't average 12-13PPG 8 asst and 8 boards. Those are good #'s. He never was a natural scorer though. I wasn't sold on this Ball kid at UCLA. Thought he bullied guards in HS and purely volume scorer. Shoot 30+ times and 10 will fall. UCLA surely is happy with the move.

Question for you guys? Who offers Lamelo now? Why would you want that headache.

AAU basketball created this monster!! Do you know how many kids would jump at the opportunity to have a scholarship from UCLA? I was watching First Take this morning and they said the NBA didn’t even have the other Ball Brother being drafted. Personally I always thought Lonzo was overrated and his brothers are too!!! Hopefully I hope everyone will learn from this because it’s a nightmare.

Being drafted??? The kid wasn’t going to get any playing time at UCLA this year. He couldn’t play overseas anywhere and obviously China is out of the question! Lol
He literally can’t jump and is has very slow feet!!
His dad just ruined his collegiate experience and or career playing basketball.
No one is going to spend 500 on Big baller brand shoes ever!!!! Regardless of his publicity stunts.
Conclusion Lavar is a narcissist. Glad not have been his kid!!

Reactions: observer22
His dad was saying that he was going to be one and done anyway, so why wait? He brings new meaning to the term one and done. 1 game and he's done. No way the NBA even looks at him.

Agree Observer. What in gods name was Alford thinking taking the clan of Balls? Must be nice not to have them part of the program now. No way in hell was he taking time from Jalen Hands or even Ali.

Agreed, Lavar's just lost it. Allow LiAngelo that UCLA, college experience, what's he going to do, coattail Lonzo, daddy, BBB the rest of his life? He stole in China, he made a mistake and just like most people, you pay the consequences. Sit in a classroom, meet new people, learn a thing or 2. There definitely is a market for basketball players overseas, but again, he probably would be playing against 30 year old men there.

As for their talent, Lonzo will be fine, the guy has a target on his back, John Wall, Jamal Murray the other night are taunting him, but there has been nothing other then the game. It will make him better, it will accelerate his development, he has shown in the public, he's way more mature than Lavar. As a Kidd fan, his development on the court is mirroring Kidd's rookie year. He'll have a brilliant night every few weeks. LiAngelo had little NBA prospects outside of a training camp invite, all 3 boys on the Lakers? Dream on Lavar, LiAngelo is not NBA material. Now if LiAngelo had the chance to work on his game, develop, change his body, over 3-4 seasons at UCLA....maybe, but now, there's no chance.

Raiderjohn- I'm a fan of Lonzo. Always have been. He makes people around him better. Not many people do that anymore. Guy is averaging 10 8 7 this year. Had 15 and 10 the other night. Flirts with triple doubles. (already has 2). His future looks fine. Needs to get stronger and put in the shots but that comes with age. I can't comment on the other ones. The little one seems way to arrogant. Lonzo was always confident on the court but not an A hole.

There has NEVER, not once, not ever, been a player who shot 31% from the field, 24% from 3 PT range and 50% from the line who later went on to great success.

There has NEVER, not once, not ever, been a player who shot 31% from the field, 24% from 3 PT range and 50% from the line who later went on to great success.

He will be fine. His confidence on his shot is gone but an off season of getting 10-15 pounds heavier and working on his shooting will help a lot. He’s averaging 8 boards and 8 assists as a guy one year out of high school. Way to early to call him a bust I would expect a much improved version of him next season.

Next season??? You're writing off the remaining 3/4's of this season. That tells me a whole lot.

Next season??? You're writing off the remaining 3/4's of this season. That tells me a whole lot.

As far as shooting pretty much. He’s not going to make big strides in season. My point was he is contributing in others way and helping the team. His shooting % is obviously not good enough right now.

If a point guard can't shoot, the defenses will back way off and clog the passing lanes substantially reducing his ability to help anyone.

Guy had 10-8-8 and 4 blocks with zero turnovers against 76ers last night. Makes the game winning pass to Ingram off his dribble penetration. He's far from a bust. The assist and boards come a lot harder in the NBA than straight pts. His shooting will get better. Kid is 20 years old.

Reactions: Fentons Cream
If a point guard can't shoot, the defenses will back way off and clog the passing lanes substantially reducing his ability to help anyone.

He shot the ball well in high school and at UCLA. I would be surprised if he didn’t come back next year vastly improved in that area.

Meanwhile, Liangelo and Melo signed with an agent today. No more possibility of UCLA or any other college changing their minds and taking on the idea of becoming Ball State....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT