ADVERTISEMENT

BETHEL HITTING HARD TIMES

Bluedog2

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2007
Not long ago, Bethel was the local powerhouse, but things have just gone down hill...Last season 2015, went 0-10 and had three close games , but lost those also..
Rodriquez won 32-26
Vallejo won 25-21
Fairfield won 21-13
The rest of the season was bad news....Bethel was in a growing area of Vallejo, but it appears to have leveled off....any body know what cooking with the Jaquars????

I was wondering the same thing...did some transfer to Benicia or American Canyon...I thought Bethel would be the powerhouse since not much happening at Vallejo for a long time and the closure of Hogan High. Sad...teams from Vallejo were always good. Also, CJ Anderson of the Denver Broncos came out of Bethel High too

Not long ago, Bethel was the local powerhouse, but things have just gone down hill...Last season 2015, went 0-10 and had three close games , but lost those also..
Rodriquez won 32-26
Vallejo won 25-21
Fairfield won 21-13
The rest of the season was bad news....Bethel was in a growing area of Vallejo, but it appears to have leveled off....any body know what cooking with the Jaquars????
Ridiculous, absolutely no excuse for that. Time for both Vallejo, Bethel, and the school district to get to the bottom of what's going on in Vallejo

They seemed to have an all-star cast of coaches as well. The problem is simple, the horses are not on the field, they are walking in the halls.

They seemed to have an all-star cast of coaches as well. The problem is simple, the horses are not on the field, they are walking in the halls.
YOUNGCOACH99.Is right and on the streets also...Vallejo has joined Mt. Diablo...Both schools have the guns, but they would rather hang out and do nothing and not apply them selves to school work or come out to play football or any other sport for that fact which requires effort....

Part of the problem with the Apaches was that Wilson, who is a great man and was a great coach, didn't adapt with the times. He had some the the best athletes in the Bay Area and couldn't get them the ball. The offense was old and boring and the defense he ran flat out sucked. There is very little community outreach that I have heard of from the coaching staffs of both schools and the fact that Vallejo has turned into a huge ghetto doesn't help. No good coaches want to go there. No good teachers want to go there. They need a Coach Alberghini to come in and really put some time into the programs.

YOUNGCOACH99.Is right and on the streets also...Vallejo has joined Mt. Diablo...Both schools have the guns, but they would rather hang out and do nothing and not apply them selves to school work or come out to play football or any other sport for that fact which requires effort....

2016....welcome to the Millennial nation.

Part of the problem with the Apaches was that Wilson, who is a great man and was a great coach, didn't adapt with the times. He had some the the best athletes in the Bay Area and couldn't get them the ball. The offense was old and boring and the defense he ran flat out sucked. There is very little community outreach that I have heard of from the coaching staffs of both schools and the fact that Vallejo has turned into a huge ghetto doesn't help. No good coaches want to go there. No good teachers want to go there. They need a Coach Alberghini to come in and really put some time into the programs.
Totally agree "youngcoach". Wilson did not keep up with the times. Many coaches believed Wilson should have ran a more open offense with the athletes he had at Vallejo. Running a Dub-Wing with superior athletes and big athletic lineman wasn't what the Apaches needed during the time when Drake Davis and Phil Goodman were there. They lost a lot of good athletes because of this as well. That offense may have been one of the main reasons he lost Demarcus Nelson when Warner West was his go to guy on the JV team. He also lost (Atlanta Falcons) All-Pro Safety Thomas Decoud to Pinole Valley and a few more talented athletes to Fairfield and Benicia during this time. Lost Dallas Bernstein and Andrew Green to Bethel. This was during the time when both feeder programs (Raiders & Generals) had great coaching staffs that coached a lot of these kids up. Had he ran the right offense with the talent in Vallejo he would have won a few sections. If Quinton Gathers (Tennessee Titans) and Desmond Bishop (Green Bay Packers) were able to get Fairfield to a section championship game there is no way Vallejo shouldn't have gotten to one with the talent in that city. Coaching is fundamental but most coaches over think the game and out coach themselves.

CT4L

crazy thing is my son has played against some Vallejo youth teams in basketball and football. Both have had great young athletes... so what happens between age 9-10-11 to 15 -16?? Do the streets and negative influences take over. somebody who is from there and been through it needs to lead charge in order for any change. I am not a Vallejo guy, just making an observation

crazy thing is my son has played against some Vallejo youth teams in basketball and football. Both have had great young athletes... so what happens between age 9-10-11 to 15 -16?? Do the streets and negative influences take over. somebody who is from there and been through it needs to lead charge in order for any change. I am not a Vallejo guy, just making an observation
Same old problem, grades,one parent families, kids living with their grand parents or with friends, total lack of focus and your comment on the streets and negative influences, lack of wanting to go forward and learn.....

Same old problem, grades,one parent families, kids living with their grand parents or with friends, total lack of focus and your comment on the streets and negative influences, lack of wanting to go forward and learn.....
I agree to disagree. Being from the "V" I know what it takes to get these kids into school and on the field. So I totally disagree with the lack of wanting to learn or go forward. I've lived this in Vallejo so I know this part is not the truth. That being said, I had a legendary Bay Area coach approach me a few years ago in regards to helping him if he took the Vallejo job. Unfortunately, I had already planned on moving to the ATL. Here's the problems as you've mentioned: One parent family (mother). Kids living with other families for a few reasons. The main one is because they do not get along with the parent(s) in the home. And the number one is peer pressure in the Vallejo community. That being said, as a "HIGH SCHOOL HEAD FOOTBALL COACH" you have to catch these kids at an early age. Not all of them but a lot of them that are at risk. You have to "show" these kids that you believe in them and show them that their lives are very valuable to this society. You have to tell them that they're lives are worth more than doing drugs, being a part of a gang or a stick up kid for someone else. I have said for many years that it is very important for the youth coaches to be a big part of the Vallejo High Football programs. They should be an extension of the high school team. That being said, this will allow the high school head coach to build a relationship with the youth players and their parent(s) at a much earlier age. This type of relationship building will give these kids a sense of belonging to something and instead of hanging out on the corner as a teenager they'll be hanging in the classrooms mentoring other students. It's not hard if the adults put the effort into this. Like I said, I've seen this from a personal perspective and it worked for the youth in the "V". If I was younger I would turn this thing around.

CT4L

Reactions: remc
I agree to disagree. Being from the "V" I know what it takes to get these kids into school and on the field. So I totally disagree with the lack of wanting to learn or go forward. I've lived this in Vallejo so I know this part is not the truth. That being said, I had a legendary Bay Area coach approach me a few years ago in regards to helping him if he took the Vallejo job. Unfortunately, I had already planned on moving to the ATL. Here's the problems as you've mentioned: One parent family (mother). Kids living with other families for a few reasons. The main one is because they do not get along with the parent(s) in the home. And the number one is peer pressure in the Vallejo community. That being said, as a "HIGH SCHOOL HEAD FOOTBALL COACH" you have to catch these kids at an early age. Not all of them but a lot of them that are at risk. You have to "show" these kids that you believe in them and show them that their lives are very valuable to this society. You have to tell them that they're lives are worth more than doing drugs, being a part of a gang or a stick up kid for someone else. I have said for many years that it is very important for the youth coaches to be a big part of the Vallejo High Football programs. They should be an extension of the high school team. That being said, this will allow the high school head coach to build a relationship with the youth players and their parent(s) at a much earlier age. This type of relationship building will give these kids a sense of belonging to something and instead of hanging out on the corner as a teenager they'll be hanging in the classrooms mentoring other students. It's not hard if the adults put the effort into this. Like I said, I've seen this from a personal perspective and it worked for the youth in the "V". If I was younger I would turn this thing around.

CT4L
Very well said, got to get to the kids while they're young and make them a part of something productive. A high school head coach is a major part of the fabric of any community and can make a big difference. Even though the coach would be trying to do something good for the kids in the community I could see some idiot in the SJS or NCS saying that it's a recruiting tool and using "undue influence" to attract players to the school. At least in my neck of the woods most high schools can't approach any player until they've graduated the 8th grade, even if they're within their boundary. With that said I think your thought is great and I wish most places would do something like that and not just in the inner cities.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
I was wondering the same thing...did some transfer to Benicia or American Canyon...I thought Bethel would be the powerhouse since not much happening at Vallejo for a long time and the closure of Hogan High. Sad...teams from Vallejo were always good. Also, CJ Anderson of the Denver Broncos came out of Bethel High too
CJ is a great young man and has always been respectful during defeats and victories. Was raised the right way by a support base spearheaded by his mother. I don't believe his mother ever missed a game in her life during his youth and high school career. She was CJ's biggest fan and she was about that "Raider Life". CJ's passion and athletic ability for football was on serious display as a youth for the "Vallejo Raiders". He was one of many youth athletes from Vallejo that had superior talent but he took care of business in the class rooms which has led him to the league. Now he's rich and enjoying life to the fullest. How bout that from a kid that had the same challenges of those kids that decided hanging out on the corners in Vallejo was more important than hitting the books. If those kids had a support base like CJ Vallejo high school football would be the talk of the town instead of the talk of the past.

CT4L

Reactions: observer22
Very well said, got to get to the kids while they're young and make them a part of something productive. A high school head coach is a major part of the fabric of any community and can make a big difference. Even though the coach would be trying to do something good for the kids in the community I could see some idiot in the SJS or NCS saying that it's a recruiting tool and using "undue influence" to attract players to the school. At least in my neck of the woods most high schools can't approach any player until they've graduated the 8th grade, even if they're within their boundary. With that said I think your thought is great and I wish most places would do something like that and not just in the inner cities.
If there is some one in Vallejo who would put in the time and get these kids focused and turn around, it would be a good thing and Vallejo could rise to the power house it once was, but the question is....is there any body out there???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT