ADVERTISEMENT

Big preseason home-and-home scheduled

Why? Running clock by halftime, pretty pointless matchup for both

So we're going to criticize Folsom for not scheduling a game like this but not credit a team wanting to test itself? Nah, we gotta be better than that. And maybe it gets them prepared for a deeper run in playoffs.

I don’t see the similarities to Folsom and CO? I just think you can balance out scheduling a strong team that you also have a punchers chance against, what do you learn from a running clock? You lose 72-6 and there is positive to gain from that?

My guess is Mater Dei needs to pick up games with out of state games not an option anymore. Probably not a lot of teams want to play them. CO has one of their better teams coming back on paper and are looking for ways to put themselves in the top tier of Sacramento area football

Still think this is a running clock game, but that's my guess on how it got done

I don’t see the similarities to Folsom and CO? I just think you can balance out scheduling a strong team that you also have a punchers chance against, what do you learn from a running clock? You lose 72-6 and there is positive to gain from that?
You can learn from a running clock. You can learn about your team and its makeup. Did they compete past the first quarter? Second quarter? End of game? Agree with you though, if you lose 72-6 the opportunity to have gained from the experience was most likely lost and you hope you got out without injury.

This game means so much to Rollinson that he couldn’t even remember the name of the school when asked about his schedule on HSFB podcast smh

Reactions: THEOC89
CO will benefit in the long term from this game even if the score is 90-0. Top Tier talent in the area (open enrollment district) will gravitate to a program that’s on the up and is scheduling like this. Elk Grove area also loses a lot of players to the private schools. This will go a ways to combat that. IMP CO, MT, and EG become the only options to top talent in the south area in the next couple years.

Only benefit i See is kids 20 years from now talking About how they tackled an NFL RB for a 5 yard loss when in fact it was a 20 yard gain. Seriously there is no benefit to either team.

Only benefit i See is kids 20 years from now talking About how they tackled an NFL RB for a 5 yard loss when in fact it was a 20 yard gain. Seriously there is no benefit to either team.
Seriously, you and MC415 are guys I generally see eye to eye with. Last year CO beats MT which beats Folsom. Folsom should schedule them but CO shouldn’t?

Reactions: ThunderRam
Seriously, you and MC415 are guys I generally see eye to eye with. Last year CO beats MT which beats Folsom. Folsom should schedule them but CO shouldn’t?

I just think it would be better for CO to schedule a strong nor cal team that they got a chance against to really see where they are at, versus scheduling a team that’s going to running clock them and you don’t really get much out of it.........just like I don’t see much value besides financial when Jacksonville State gets their heads bashed in by Alabama every year ...... but I guess we will agree to disagree..... I think a game against an oakdale, Central, st Mary’s,etc is better for them

Last edited:
I just think it would be better for CO to schedule a strong not cal team that they got a chance against to really see where they are at, versus scheduling a team that’s going to running clock them and you don’t really get much out of it.........just like I don’t see much value besides financial when Jacksonville State gets their heads bashed in by Alabama every year ...... but I guess we will agree to disagree..... I think a game against an oakdale, Central, st Mary’s,etc is better for them

pretty much sums it up for me as well. CO does have a very nice team and should do well up here. MD really needs to only schedule elite national programs IMO. I just think it’s such a mismatch and that isn’t a knock on CO.

Butt hay.....!!
MD will put butts in the stadium seats.

Sure it will be a better promo than the Ted Williams Popsicle Night staged by the minor league Bisbee-Douglas Copper Kings to commemorate the fact that the Thumper was in cryogenic storage in nearby Scottsdale.

Better double up on the 10-30wt flowable Cheez Whiz for the nacho boats that night....

Reactions: WCAL75 and MC415

Can't win with some people. Damned if you do, damned if you don't so-to-speak.

Like you, I don't see the problem with CO scheduling the game -- especially if they are expecting to field one of their better teams.

St. Mary's scheduled MD in 2018 and Elk Grove scheduled DLS for 2020. So why not CO?
Seems to me both schools needed a game and agreed to play each other. So why the criticism?

Everyone understands that the likes of MD and SJB are in different stratospheres. So is DLS for that matter. But they are still high schools with high school kids enrolled. And they all need to schedule upwards of 5 non-league games. They gotta play somebody.

It's clear nobody else was able or willing to face MD the week that CO agreed to play them. I for one applaud CO for taking on the monumental task. Same goes for Elk Grove in scheduling DLS.

I recall Del Oro scheduling games like that and getting their heads kicked in too. However they seemed to benefit from doing it consistently judging by their late season runs and playoff track record. Perhaps some of these other area programs see the benefit in over scheduling?

Regardless of the reasoning, I can't ever see myself criticizing a program with the enrollment and roster size of CO over scheduling like this. As far as I'm concerned -- good for them.

That said, I'll be a tad surprised if the return game happens and MD actually travels up to Elk Grove. We shall see.

This game means so much to Rollinson that he couldn’t even remember the name of the school when asked about his schedule on HSFB podcast smh

I'll bet Rollinson doesn't know or remember the names of 98% of the schools North of the grapevine, so no surprise there. Although it clearly means a little something to him, considering he bothered to pick up the phone then agreed to a home and home.

Besides, most the CO players likely have no idea who the hell Bruce Rollinson is either ;)

Reactions: THEOC89 and ararar
My guess is Mater Dei needs to pick up games with out of state games not an option anymore. Probably not a lot of teams want to play them. CO has one of their better teams coming back on paper and are looking for ways to put themselves in the top tier of Sacramento area football

Still think this is a running clock game, but that's my guess on how it got done

I think you're likely spot on. And assuming so, what's the freaking problem? Cause I'm not seeing one.

Sans SJB, Mater Dei basically put a running clock on every team in the Trinity last season. Closest margin of victory was 37 points.

They also beat Centennial-Corona by 30, Centennial-AZ by 50 and St. John's of DC by 29.

They are boat racing pretty much everyone on their schedule regardless who it is.

So why does it matter whether CO joins that list??? Hint: It doesn't.

Last edited:
CO could be a top 5 team in the SJS this season. MD is obviously on another level than CO, however that is the case for 99.9% with regards to all the other programs in California. I agree with stepping up the schedule. Each program has their own goals and should use their resources as they see fit to meet them. Other than the possible score outcome, I see more positives than negatives in the big picture. BTW, CO will play Oak Ridge week 1, which should be a great game.

Reactions: ThunderRam
BTW, CO will play Oak Ridge week 1, which should be a great game.

I noticed that too when checking their schedule out yesterday. It’s clear they are trying to schedule the best competition they can. More power to them.

I happen to subscribe to that tactic, as long as it’s a program with the enrollment and roster numbers CO has, and always point to Del Oro under Casey Taylor as a prime example how it can be beneficial.

Their JV team was 3-7 last year and lost to Capital Christian 57-0 ! I hope last years team was all juniors or they have no business scheduling this ass kicking. Their largest returning lineman is 215. I applaud them for stepping up but Everest is a steep climb

Their JV team was 3-7 last year and lost to Capital Christian 57-0 ! I hope last years team was all juniors or they have no business scheduling this ass kicking. Their largest returning lineman is 215. I applaud them for stepping up but Everest is a steep climb
It is a sound recruiting tool but will be 56-0 by the half. 2-3 D1 guys on the field vs 11 at all times is no fun!

Reactions: MC415
It is a sound recruiting tool but will be 56-0 by the half. 2-3 D1 guys on the field vs 11 at all times is no fun!

I don’t think it will be quite that bad. Rollinson usually gets his 2nd & 3rd string in pretty quick. CO should put some points up before the end.

they have no business scheduling this ass kicking. Their largest returning lineman is 215. I applaud them for stepping up but Everest is a steep climb

You can say the same about all but maybe one or two teams on MD’s schedule each year.

They boat raced the entire Trinity League sans the other super recruited team in SJB. Replace CO with Centennial-Corona and MD still wins by 30 like they did last season.

So why does it matter?

As @Streak One pointed out, scheduling options were likely quite limited for MD due to current circumstances and they had to stay in state. Instead of criticizing CO for having a set of balls, the naysayers should be banging on all the upper echelon CA programs that bypassed the opportunity. All the angst is being misplaced.

Agree about the scheduling options being limited so that piece makes sense to me. I just don’t think there is much value out of playing a team like that when you aren’t even in the discussion as a dominant SJS team.

I’ve been on the receiving end of a few lashes during my playing day’s and I don’t recall to many great takeaways other than some cool memories drinking some beers with your buddies decades later. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: MC415
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT