ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Hi 2020 rankings

So I tried to give a year by year run down on what I believe are the top 3 public schools in the California. I know a lot of people are focusing on Folsom and Centennial but for good measure I added Mission Viejo to spice up the conversation
GREAT comparison brother. Mission Viejo is another great public school program in CA. I would put them 3rd, behind Folsom and Cen10, but certainly a great program. They tend to get swallowed up in the transfer swamp of private schools that is Southern Ca. I wish they would let those public's play by the same rules.

My advice to Mission Viejo would be to do what the privates did in Southern CA, pre 2014. The privates got together and convinced all of the Southern section commissioners to unanimously vote to change the rules across the state, mainly changing the landscape in NorCal. This hurt schools like MV. Since MV operates under different rules than the privates they are being asked to compete with in the playoffs, they should lobby to change that and be placed where they belong. Since the SoCal commissioners have such much experience and are so good and convincing others to unanimously vote, I would say this wouldn't be too hard. Or, maybe MV could hire the Lincoln town newspaper, and a few soccer moms to change HSFB in CA. Worked once right? :)

BTW- I think the year that MV won the 1AA title against Bellarmine, they really dodged a bullet by not having to play Folsom. Although it was Folsom's most "down year" in the last decade, they were likely saved by having to play a small private running a triple option.

Easy solution in CA:
Open Division: No rules, transfer swamp open
1AA and below: public school rules

End of story.

Folsom has been the #1 public in CA over the last decade by a slight edge over Cen10 and a big edge over MV.

Here's a scheduling note: Half Moon Bay will play Serra, Pittsburg and M-A in 2020. When you add in teams like Salinas, Sacred Heart Prep and King's Academy, you could argue that this will be, by far, the toughest slate of games ever for the Coastside school of 1,000 youngsters and varsity football rosters that rarely exceed three dozen kids.

I assure you HMB is going to sneak up on at least one of those schools and beat them. When you talk about the top coaching staffs in the Bay Area, please do not leave out Half Moon Bay. What could they do with a roster of 50+ and a little bit of talent?

Their kids play well as a unit but to think they're unwordly individually is ludicrous.

LMAO with the "state titles"!
The ONLY state title that reflects best team is the Open. Neither CC or Folsom have those. To use lower division titles as a reflection of a program being better or worse is silly.

I think the accurate way to describe Folsom vs Centennial (or MV) would be unknown. It is hard to know how good Folsom was many of the years in the past decade because they didnt play alot of elite teams. They are at a disadvantage from their region compared with Cent/MV, but IF they want to be considered Elite, they needed to find a way to schedule some games against them.

In the past 10 years:
Games vs Top 30 Ranked teams (at end of season CalPrep):
Folsom: 0 wins and 4 Losses (DLS)
Cent: 8 wins and 13 Losses
MV: 1 win and 7 Losses

If we expand to Top 100 ranked teams:
Folsom: 6 Wins and 6 Losses (Top wins #34 Helix 2017, #40 Cathedral)
Cent: 20 Wins and 17 Losses (Top wins #4 SJB 2015, #10 SJB 2014, #11 Chandler 2016)
MV: 12 Wins and 10 Losses (Top wins #28 San Clemente 2011, #42 Helix 2015)

Folsom has had some tremendous teams that were not challenged. Know way to know how they would have done vs some of the elite teams. Depending on where you cut off the line at being an elite national team, if you say top 30, then Folsom is 0-4 against them.

I think Centennial has been a better program over the past ten years than Folsom only because they have proved it by playing elite competition and winning. Could Folsom have been better, yes, but we will never know.

The ONLY state title that reflects best team is the Open.
False. And this is purely speculation as many believe, to include myself, that the 2014 Folsom team could have beaten anyone and won in the open division. Speculative, sure. But a blanket statement that the "ONLY" state title that reflects the best team is the open, is simply not true and of opinion only. I would agree that in most years it is probably correct, so I concede somewhat there.

To use lower division titles as a reflection of a program being better or worse is silly
I don't think so. I think it is relevant. Can we assume that IF Cen10 was placed in the D1AA game the same amount of times Folsom was, that they would win the same amount of titles? Maybe, maybe not. Still speculative at best. Just because Cen10 was placed where they were in SoCal for the playoffs does not guarantee success at any other level. I think you would agree.

They are at a disadvantage from their region compared with Cent/MV, but IF they want to be considered Elite, they needed to find a way to schedule some games against them.
I actually agree with you here about the regional disadvantage for scheduling. I think it is relevant in the conversation but doesn't prove much. Folsom and Cen10 have talked about playing multiple times in the past. Folsom has had no issue with traveling to SoCal multiple times, across multiple years, as reflected in their schedules. But when a team tells you right out of the gate, "we don't travel," it is sort of a buzz kill to set something up. But I agree overall- I think a game would have been best either way.

I think Centennial has been a better program over the past ten years than Folsom only because they have proved it by playing elite competition and winning. Could Folsom have been better, yes, but we will never know.
I would disagree in the notion that Cen10 has been better simply based on the argument of "playing better competition." You can't penalize one team for only really having one option for "elite competition" in their area, and reward another for having 5-6 elite teams in theirs. I think you would agree. And you are right- we will never fully know.

My main point that Folsom gets the slight nod is because we know how they performed in SBGs. We do not know how Cen10 did because they didn't get the chance. Simply saying they are better and would have beaten all those 1AA opponents is purely speculative. Folsom willingly traveled and played legitimate (not elite) opponents on the road. Cen10 never did (and the excuse of them traveling to Fresno is a complete joke). Heck, Cen10 couldn't even beat a San Diego team last year at home that Folsom beat TWICE, IN SOCAL!

Slight edge- Folsom

This was a post about 2020 rankings. Now that Folsom fan can’t rant about how great they are going to be this year, they have to hijack the thread and argue about how great their past teams were. Why does every thread on this board have to evolve into a Folsom discussion? Can’t we just weigh in on what we think of these preseason rankings?

This was a post about 2020 rankings. Now that Folsom fan can’t rant about how great they are going to be this year, they have to hijack the thread and argue about how great their past teams were. Why does every thread on this board have to evolve into a Folsom discussion? Can’t we just weigh in on what we think of these preseason rankings?
A good question for the moderator

Come on Mr. ken you can't have yo hand in the cookie jar, co-signing on a post or two and then talk about everyone else who got a hand in the cookie jar. And you know the only person reppin Folsom is Mr. PFQ3. You know he is a die hard Folsom Homer and he likes to rep his squad just as much as a lot of poster like to try and set him straight. All in good fun. Kinda missed him. Let's just hope this time around everyone can get along (For Streaks sake). Mr. Ararar my bad brotha (Mr. Ken is right)I wasn't trying to be a part of hijacking your thread. Just a little discouraged talking about preseason rankings when it's looking more and more like there may not be a season with games being cancelled left and right. But for the record tho, regarding the rankings, I like the overall NorCal representation this year.

Last edited:
Come on Mr. ken you can't have yo hand in the cookie jar, co-signing on a post or two and then talk about everyone else who got a hand in the cookie jar. And you know the only person reppin Folsom is Mr. PFQ3. You know he is a die hard Folsom Homer and he likes to rep his squad just as much as a lot of poster like to try and set him straight. All in good fun. Kinda missed him. Let's just hope this time around everyone can get along (For Streaks sake). Mr. Ararar my bad brotha (Mr. Ken is right)I wasn't trying to be a part of hijacking your thread. Just a little discouraged talking about preseason rankings when it's looking more and more like there may not be a season with games being cancelled left and right. But for the record tho, regarding the rankings, I like the overall NorCal representation this year.
Haha thanks brother.

The best part is watching the word Folsom trigger about 10 posters on this forum. Watching them freak out is something myself and a group of others have been watching for years. Some of the stories over beer have been quite fun.

They still don't realize it's all in fun. They actually take it seriously. It's actually pretty sad. 4 state titles will do that to the haters! ;)

However, I do enjoy some football chat. Cheers to you brother!

A remember- It could always be worse. We are quite lucky. We could always be playing with the little guys on Saturdays, no lights, with only family and friends in the stands!

I said at the beginning of this if news got stale, there is always DLS-Folsom to talk about. Didn't realize it would be so close to the mark. Just didn't see Centennial making an appearance :)

This discussion is worn out. Everyone has said their peace. People stop repsonding, a topic will die.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT