ADVERTISEMENT

Calaveras football forced to forfeit upcoming playoff game

This punishment is too harsh and has been too harsh in other situations. They should be on a case by case basis and common sense rulings should be given.

Did the player play 3 plays in a 40 point win? Likely didn't affect outcome.

If the player had any meaningful impact, then you can rule a forfeit.

This punishment is too harsh and has been too harsh in other situations. They should be on a case by case basis and common sense rulings should be given.

Did the player play 3 plays in a 40 point win? Likely didn't affect outcome.

If the player had any meaningful impact, then you can rule a forfeit.

That’s the pretty common sense approach. This is administrators you’re dealing, so generally not much common sense there.

Self reported of a non impactful player? No pattern of this prior. Slap on the wrist at best. This is not Cardinal Ritter intentional scumbag behavior.

Yeah it’s the rules? Spirit of the law goes much further.

Unbelievable. I can see this punishment if if was done knowingly, but it sounds to me like it wasn’t. It was an honest mistake. This may make schools not come forward in the future, and although I believe in honesty, it certainly didn’t pay off in this case. This mistake could have happen to any of the schools. I feel they should all go on strike and in behalf of Calaveras tell the CiF that all playoff teams will forfeit. I know that seems outrageous and will not happen, but if they all would stick together in this, maybe the CIF would let Calaveras play. The CIF doesn’t want to lose money, so could you imagine every team in the playoffs refusing to play one friday night. I bet CIF would change their mind real quick. Like I said, this honest mistake could have happen to anyone of these schools.

Reactions: bella123
I hate being the elephant in the room here. But, my gosh! When are the the admins and coaches going to learn from these mistake. Both Jesuit and Del Oro went through this last year. While I agree that the punishment does not fit the crime, it does not change the result. With the school that I am associated with, I tell my AD every year to make sure the the I's dotted and the T's are crossed with all JV call-ups. And I'm going to do it again tonight when I see him before our first playoff game on Friday night.

Last edited:
For the life of me I just don’t understand how this happens. How or why did they find out he was ineligible after he played. Why wouldn’t it be looked into BEFORE the game is played?

If the section is going to follow the letter of the law and kick teams out of the playoffs and then turn around and complain about lost revenue due to cancelled playoff games, then they need to step up and help the schools prevent these situations from happening. Schools should be required to send in playoff rosters and the section should then clear them. Problem solved.

For the life of me I just don’t understand how this happens. How or why did they find out he was ineligible after he played. Why wouldn’t it be looked into BEFORE the game is played?

If the section is going to follow the letter of the law and kick teams out of the playoffs and then turn around and complain about lost revenue due to cancelled playoff games, then they need to step up and help the schools prevent these situations from happening. Schools should be required to send in playoff rosters and the section should then clear them. Problem solved.
The section is led by it's member schools. They present and agree on policy, rules, punishments. Maybe not all agree on everypoint, but they are bound by the outcome. They ( AD's/Admins ) are the section. They are responsible.
Is a change needed perhaps, but kids are affected everyday by the actions of adults.

I pin this strictly on the Calaveras AD. Somebody knew something, or why would they even look into if the kid was eligible. The kid played a few plays while there was a running clock, so someone had an eye on him. There seems to be more to the story, more than likely the AD knew all along and figured the kid would be on JV all year and never sniff a varsity game. But with a running clock in order and the Varsity Head Coach not wanting to keep his starters in, started subbing the backups and JV call ups.

Are we going to get to the point where JV players won't get called up for the playoffs? These issues usually stem from that dynamic.

I don't know the inner workings of the process of clearing players, but for those who are, can it be an overwhelming process when combined with all the other duties?

Here's what I would love to see happen at an appeal. Remember first that our decision is going to impact the playing career of every senior on the team. To have your season end not on the field of play, but due to an administrative error is about as bad as it gets in competitive sports. The appeal process is there so that reasonable adults can take all of the information and make a coherent and thoughtful decision.
1.) Did the error impact the outcome of the game?
2.) Is the school/coaching staff a frequent offender of these practices?
3.) Is there away to address this that will sufficiently improve the practices at the offending school?

If it was a running clock participation, then no it did not impact the outcome of the game. It sounds as if the school is not a frequent offender. Put the AD on probation and declare the athlete ineligible for playoffs.

Why make it more difficult than it is?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT