ADVERTISEMENT

Cancelled games and make ups

HSFguy

Seasoned Veteran
Nov 19, 2016
Couple questions I'm wondering if people want to try and answer?

1. Will the cancelled games be made up?

2. What does a team having a 9 game season due for section playoff bracketing?

3. What does a team having 9 game regular season due for state bowl bid competive equity matchups?

4. Some teams are doing make ups on Tuesday (Sep 5th) can they still play there scheduled matchup Friday night?

Just a few topics to ponder over...

Couple questions I'm wondering if people want to try and answer?

1. Will the cancelled games be made up?

2. What does a team having a 9 game season due for section playoff bracketing?

3. What does a team having 9 game regular season due for state bowl bid competive equity matchups?

4. Some teams are doing make ups on Tuesday (Sep 5th) can they still play there scheduled matchup Friday night?

Just a few topics to ponder over...

I certainly don't have any definitive answers for your questions, but here's my thoughts:
*The CCS section has a "power points" formula to seed teams for playoffs. The formula include adjustments for less than 10 games played. No doubt other sections have some type of adjustment consideration. Most sections publish their rules on their websites.

*It is less important to make up preseason (pre-league) games. League games are essential to determine league winners and league ranks which is how all sections determine teams to be considered for playoffs.

*I seem to remember rules about how many days a team must wait between games. I thought it was 6 days. But I also remember the SDS section having Tuesday playoff games followed by Friday games. So maybe that rule varies among sections.

Some games are cancelled, and a few will be rescheduled. Cancelled games are cancelled.

The loss of a game can be very material to teams looking to make playoffs. There are two ways to enter the playoffs - automatic qualifiers and at-large qualifiers. Automatic qualifiers make the playoffs due to their league schedule, so cancelled games in week 1 will not matter. But for at-large qualifiers, they make it based on total wins. Normally the bar is about 6 wins. 7 wins usually gets you in, and 6 wins puts you on the bubble. Sometimes 5 win teams make it at-large, but that is rare. It is more common for the 6 win teams to be pooled with some making it and a few falling short (normally based on opponent wins). So the cancelled games would matter to the teams that have 4, 5 or 6 wins and the cancelled game is one that they would have won.

Cancelled games will not matter to state seedings. Unplayed and unscheduled games are not considered.

Essentially all of the EBAL

MV, SRV, Foothill & Cal all had byes last weekend. Granada, Livermore, DLS and AV all played their games as scheduled. So only the 2 newest EBAL members Dublin & Dougherty lost games. Neither are likely to be playoff candidates.

I think the Fairfield-Woodland got cancelled. However, Woodland was able to schedule Rosemont and the game was played.

Wheatland and Marysville played last night (Tuesday) to make up the Friday postponement. Obviously both will have to turn around quickly now for Friday. I was very surprised to see the Tuesday evening game. Both JV and varsity played

Reactions: ncscalfootball
Milpitas' game @ Dublin was cancelled, Milpitas was scrambling to get a game during their scheduled bye week 9/29 to fill 10 games I think.

Milpitas and Berkeley agreed to play this week. Brookside Christian apparently gave up their game against the Trojans.

Milpitas and Berkeley agreed to play this week. Brookside Christian apparently gave up their game against the Trojans.
Must have been the thread on this board about Milpitas being a mismatch with BC. Hey Cal14 - are you attending any Salinas games this year. It could be the year the Cowboys defeat the Chieftains. I will probably attend that game at The Pit.

Must have been the thread on this board about Milpitas being a mismatch with BC. Hey Cal14 - are you attending any Salinas games this year. It could be the year the Cowboys defeat the Chieftains. I will probably attend that game at The Pit.

I don't know. If work brings me to the Bay Area, then maybe. A few planets have to align.

Reactions: bella123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT