ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Newman 21 Sutter 7 FINAL

Landon Cooper with a QB keep for a 10 yard TD run for Sutter.

7-7 early Q2

Giancarlo Woods answers right back for CN with a kickoff return for a score.

Penalty fields on both sides but CN a little worse in this department.

Defenses have been well prepared with a couple of big plays being the difference in the first half

Good opening drive for Cardinal Newman ends with a TD run from Pavitt. Natural runner for a QB

21-7 with 848 left Q3

Thx streak. I’m at Folsom and they look a little sloppy. Not what I’m use to seeing. Maybe just first game jitters.

Sutter got into the red zone twice in the fourth quarter but couldn’t get a score.

CN wins 21-7

Sounds like Sutter hung tough. Although I'm sure @farmair3 is disappointed with the L, I'm sure he's not disappointed with the team repping well against a legit opponent.

Sounds like it was a hard fought game.

Reactions: observer22
Cardinal Newman (2-0) won at Sutter (0-1) 21-7 behind big plays on a 74 yard touchdown catch by junior Tsion Nunnally and a 94 yard kickoff return by senior Giancarlo Woods. Sutter reached the red zone twice in the fourth quarter, but couldn't close to one possession.

Takeaways:

Cardinal Newman's offense remains creative with senior Jackson Pavitt at the helm. While Sutter was strong on their assignments to limit big plays, the Cardinals have multiple runners led by Pavitt and junior Shane Moran. Nunnally gives the Cardinals a downfield threat to complement their screen game.

If you are looking for a big play for Sutter, find senor Cory Mcintyre. He lines up for quarterback designed runs, as a running back and completed a half back pass. Mcintyre also is a good kick returner. As a runner, Mcintyre stretches the field sideline to sideline. He has good cutting ability to get upfield before the defense can react. Mcintyre was the lone Husky who found open space against Cardinal Newman.

Cardinal Newman had a good special team's night going 3-for-3 on PAT attempts, including a 25 yard attempt after a penalty. The Cardinals also gained advantages through their return game.

Players of Notes:

Cardinal Newman: WR/DB Giancarlo Woods, QB Jackson Pavitt, RB/FS Shane Moran, WR Tsion Nunnally, LB Hunter Graniss, LB Zackery Moran, DL Daniel Boyle

Sutter: QB/RB/KR Cory Mcintyre, LB Alex Bryan, DB Roman Resendez, ATH Alec Bell, LB Theo Bravos,

Reactions: ThunderRam
Sounds like Sutter hung tough. Although I'm sure @farmair3 is disappointed with the L, I'm sure he's not disappointed with the team repping well against a legit opponent.

Sounds like it was a hard fought game.

Not the prettiest game for Cardinal Newman, but a good win on the road in August is impressive.

Sutter' struggled to generate offense, but the defense competed really well. Had a chance at the end to make it more interesting.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Streak you see anybody coming in and offering Pavitt? Seems like he could play in mtn West.

I hope the game wasn’t @ CN.....I feel sorry for the CN locker room and campus if they beat SUTTER @ CN. Let’s hope they played @ Sutter.

Streak you see anybody coming in and offering Pavitt? Seems like he could play in mtn West.

Quarterback recruiting is very interesting, but I think he has the skills to play in the right system. I like his arm and athleticism. He looks to pass first but is a natural runner when he pulls it down. IMO, he is a MWC/Big Sky guy who needs the right system.

Quarterback recruiting is very interesting, but I think he has the skills to play in the right system. I like his arm and athleticism. He looks to pass first but is a natural runner when he pulls it down. IMO, he is a MWC/Big Sky guy who needs the right system.

Agree. QB recruiting is really tough. Amazing how many times it doesn’t work out. I think a lot of gritty kids get overlooked at times. Just have to get the right system and get a window to prove yourself.

I hope the game wasn’t @ CN.....I feel sorry for the CN locker room and campus if they beat SUTTER @ CN. Let’s hope they played @ Sutter.

After watching tonight’s game you literally put a sour taste on this forum! So a few mishaps in the past lead you to believe so many bad things about 1 program. Let the past be the past. A lot of class out of both programs tonight. The respect for each other tonight was awesome. GTF outta here with your BS

Reactions: championcif75
Not the prettiest game for Cardinal Newman, but a good win on the road in August is impressive.

Sutter' struggled to generate offense, but the defense competed really well. Had a chance at the end to make it more interesting.
Officiating was pretty influential in keeping this game close.

Officiating was pretty influential in keeping this game close.

Didn’t Sutter have a 80+ yard TD called back? Every game regardless of who is playing is going to have calls that either side will see isn’t right. Tonight Newman was the better team. Their a great team and expect them to have a great year. Could also say the same about Sutter. Both are solid squads opposing teams will lose sleep over.

Didn’t Sutter have a 80+ yard TD called back? Every game regardless of who is playing is going to have calls that either side will see isn’t right. Tonight Newman was the better team. Their a great team and expect them to have a great year. Could also say the same about Sutter. Both are solid squads opposing teams will lose sleep over.
If you were at the game then you know. It was 14-2 in favor of the home team.

2? Is that random number or a guess? Cause I can think of 5 of the top of my head. I’m not taking anything away from Newman’s performance but come on man. (Shannon Sharpe voice)

Let’s just say the officiating was horrible. A good crew controls the game, but is really not noticed. There were bad calls both ways, but I would say there were many calls agains CN in the second half that were very bad and seemed to want to keep the game close. The side line officials were the worst and the back judge.

I wouldn’t say that the officiating changed the game though. It was a hard fought game on both sides. Regardless of what went who’s way both defenses were stout.

The officiating was questionable or bad? Say it ain't so! That argument/excuse could be cited for every game ever played.

Also, there's nothing in the handbook that says an equal or near equal amount of penalties must called called. Sometimes one team is more error prone than the other. Or just isn't as good at hiding it to not get caught.

Sutter is a very very good team. They are way underrated. Their front 7 on defense is very physical. 53 is a stud. Both inside linebackers fly and are very physical. I don’t know that this team loses another game all year.

Exactly, was it December football. No, it’s August. The point is, tonight was a awesome game played between teenagers giving it everything thing they had and that’s what matters. Gripe about officiating all you want that’s fine. At the end of the night it was a awesome experience seeing 2 NorCal Powers going Toe 2 Toe. I expect both teams playing in December. Great game all the way around. Hats off to Newman, well oiled machine. Along with Sutter. Hope they renew a 2 year deal. It just makes both teams better for what they both really want. A STATE TITLE!

The officiating was questionable or bad? Say it ain't so! That argument/excuse could be cited for every game ever played.

Also, there's nothing in the handbook that says an equal or near equal amount of penalties must called called. Sometimes one team is more error prone than the other. Or just isn't as good at hiding it to not get caught.
Ok TR but I’ve seen a lot of football. Feel like you have too. I’d like the benefit of doubt but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Like I said before good win on the road in a tough place against a good program. You just expect that you will not at calls on the road. Great teams overcome that and Newman is just that. Another tough road game for Newman at Placer. I will be at that one for sure.

Ok TR but I’ve seen a lot of football. Feel like you have too. I’d like the benefit of doubt but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Of course they are. And I haven’t seen one play of the game yet so I can’t provide an educated opinion. All I’m saying is officiating is always subjective and always questioned. Every single game.

I immediately think back to a marquee game last season where a blown call resulted in a change of possession that thwarted one team’s momentum in game they eventually lost. Doesn’t change the fact that their opponent played a tremendous game regardless.

Teams have to adapt and overcome. It is what it is. Sounds like that’s exactly what CN did. Congrats to them for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT