ADVERTISEMENT

D2 and D4 NCS

would it be to difficult
Of a task to put a officiating crew together that has at least worked 2 or 3 games together during the season so at least they have some Familiarity with there partner?
This wasn't a game where one lead officail
was training a newbie but it sure looked
Liked it there were several calls reversed
By the other official and it wasn't because
the other official had a better view it was because It was completely the wrong call.
they have worked together many times. and that is why you need 3. the out of bounds calls are more accurate because each line is covered.

In the CN/SPSV the Refs did a good job. No issues. I was at the game and the best thing I can say is that I didn't notice them.

The 2 missed technical FTs to start the game.... and in the 1st and 2nd qtrs SPSV had the ball last and hit buzzer beaters (a 2 and a 3) ....that's 7pts and the difference in the game.

SPSV did all the little things that gave them the win in a close game. CN was chasing the entire game....they had a couple of short lived leads but from my POV it never felt like CN was gonna win.

I am still not convinced that North Bay Basketball is back. I, personally, did not think St. Pat's was a good match up for CN and I do not think Moreau is a good match-up for Montgomery. Justin-Siena and Ygnacio Valley should both win Wednesday and I think Justin-Siena will have their hands full with Ygnacio Valley in the section finals. I would say J/S is the underdog in that one for sure. I do not mean any disrespect to McKinleyville or Urban. I think NCS D4 is incredibly top heavy and by top I mean 1 and 2. CN may be very good moving forward but it will still be hard to compete at the Section - State level with the players they get versus those others have. This is Montgomery's last chance. You can say what you want about the center being back but without DeVries, next year and beyond will be difficult.

I am still not convinced that North Bay Basketball is back. I, personally, did not think St. Pat's was a good match up for CN and I do not think Moreau is a good match-up for Montgomery. Justin-Siena and Ygnacio Valley should both win Wednesday and I think Justin-Siena will have their hands full with Ygnacio Valley in the section finals. I would say J/S is the underdog in that one for sure. I do not mean any disrespect to McKinleyville or Urban. I think NCS D4 is incredibly top heavy and by top I mean 1 and 2. CN may be very good moving forward but it will still be hard to compete at the Section - State level with the players they get versus those others have. This is Montgomery's last chance. You can say what you want about the center being back but without DeVries, next year and beyond will be difficult.
www.transferportal.com

Yacht - Unfortunately you will not get transfers at Montgomery, there is too much extracurricular activity for anyone to feel safe enough to transfer there.

Yacht - Unfortunately you will not get transfers at Montgomery, there is too much extracurricular activity for anyone to feel safe enough to transfer there.
I wouldn't totally write off the hoops yet. The division 2 vs 4 thing at newman stinks but it is what it is. At the D4 level they are a top 3 program in Norcal year in and out. No different than what JS has become. At D2 level they are a good program but certainly not great. Last year they lost a close road game to D2 champ and power Campo. St Pats wasn't a good matchup whcih I agree with. Even with that said they had plenty of chances to win that game. Monty vs Moreau has somewhat of the same feel but Devries is the difference maker. Not many players in Norcal like him. We shall see but winner of that one is going to win D2. But this is Monty's year if its going to happen. Agree with you.

As for newman they need a 6"5-6"6 forward next year to give them size. If they get a kid like that I like there chances to go further in D2 grow. Keep in mind for them getting a transfer is not out of ordinary. Tough area to move into but the school is thriving and has invested a ton in facilities and athletics.

Reactions: UncleYacht
How did Ygnacio valley get so good? The school gets a fairly bad rep now. Football program is practically dormant. It’s been about 10-15 years since those sports programs were thriving. I’m assuming a lot of students intra district transfer to Northgate HS? I know 10+ years ago the student population was pretty diverse, not so much in present times. Good for YV!

I wouldn't totally write off the hoops yet. The division 2 vs 4 thing at newman stinks but it is what it is. At the D4 level they are a top 3 program in Norcal year in and out. No different than what JS has become. At D2 level they are a good program but certainly not great. Last year they lost a close road game to D2 champ and power Campo. St Pats wasn't a good matchup whcih I agree with. Even with that said they had plenty of chances to win that game. Monty vs Moreau has somewhat of the same feel but Devries is the difference maker. Not many players in Norcal like him. We shall see but winner of that one is going to win D2. But this is Monty's year if its going to happen. Agree with you.

As for newman they need a 6"5-6"6 forward next year to give them size. If they get a kid like that I like there chances to go further in D2 grow. Keep in mind for them getting a transfer is not out of ordinary. Tough area to move into but the school is thriving and has invested a ton in facilities and athletics.
Agreed, very attractive landing spot in the portal.

How did Ygnacio valley get so good? The school gets a fairly bad rep now. Football program is practically dormant. It’s been about 10-15 years since those sports programs were thriving. I’m assuming a lot of students intra district transfer to Northgate HS? I know 10+ years ago the student population was pretty diverse, not so much in present times. Good for YV!
It started with the 6’10” center at YV, and then a coach that brought in an AAU pipeline. The center graduates this year, but now they’ve got plenty of talent left heading into next season. I think it was more than 30 years since YV had been relevant in hoops.

Unless they get more from said "pipeline", they will not be deep next year. Heck, they aren't very deep now, tho they have a promising freshman backup center who could end up being quite good up the road.

Their JV is pretty horrible; won't get much help from there... Won't get much help from the freshman team, either, considering they don't HAVE a freshman team...

This is YV's best chance at banners in a long time, tho... I'm rooting for them.

Reactions: observer22
It’s simple, the northbay will not have the athletes for basketball unless it changes significantly which why would it. Football they’re elite, but basketball you need speed which they will never have, they really need to schedule outside of Santa Rosa, then battling Monty is great but clearly it doesn’t help them in layoffs.

Next season the new enrollment based divisions will certainly help CN (Back to D4) and only being able to be moved up 2 levels at the most for sections (if they don't get put into the Open). Seems to me that D1 with the best (non Open) D3,D2 teams being pulled up will be a bloodbath leaving D2 and lower kinda weak. I guess we shall see how it plays out and if my theory proves true or not.

Next season the new enrollment based divisions will certainly help CN (Back to D4) and only being able to be moved up 2 levels at the most for sections (if they don't get put into the Open). Seems to me that D1 with the best (non Open) D3,D2 teams being pulled up will be a bloodbath leaving D2 and lower kinda weak. I guess we shall see how it plays out and if my theory proves true or not.
As an example of what I'm thinking/theorizing/talking about...

If this season was NEXT year, based on Max Preps... Monty would have been placed in D1 and CN would have been the Top seed in D2.

They have fast, quick, and attacking guards.
A 6'10 kid who has gotten much better over the 4 years.
They have better athletes than any other team in the league so if u can turn the opponent over u have a chance

That is a good win for Montgomery. Welcome to D1 in Norcal.
They still need to beat Benecia in the finals. Monty is very good. They have one of the most underrated guards in Norcal. (Devries) St Pats shat the bed against Benecia after beating them before. Monty really belongs in D2 for Norcal. They will be a tough out.

I like them beating Benecia for NCS.

@winetot , i'm sure newman is excited to see the "VILLE" next year in D4.

Legend - That is so true. We played Montgomery in a scrimmage and Benicia in our foundation game this year. Benicia is more physical than Montgomery and I think they can guard DeVries as well as anyone up North. With that said, I think it will be a good game with a slight edge to Benicia.

As so often happens....

If Monty wins the section....they celebrate (and rightfully so...it's a big accomplishment)...and then...welcome to the 12 seed in D1...and 1 and done most likely.

Lose....

And get the 2 seed in D2 and have a chance to make a state run...

Such a screwed up playoff system...yeeesh

As so often happens....

If Monty wins the section....they celebrate (and rightfully so...it's a big accomplishment)...and then...welcome to the 12 seed in D1...and 1 and done most likely.

Lose....

Such a screwed up playoff system...yeesh
@northbaybbguru make it make sense lol. No seriously, my brain doesn't work ahead of time like that. What's the scenario after sections? I know some divisions get all semifinalists thru to nor cals and some don't and there is an at large I think? How can a team possibly go from d2 to d1? I honestly don't know.

Guru -

That makes sense but I do not know if that will happen. Currently Montgomery is ranked 13 in maxpreps rankings in Northern California and Benicia is ranked 47 in the maxpreps rankings in Northern California. Even with a Benicia win they are not going to jump ahead of Montgomery. Last year the committee placed Las Lomas as the #1 seed in D3 and Justin-Siena #7 D3. Justin-Siena beat Las Lomas by 30 during the season. It is my opinion, all they look at is maxpreps ratings when determining the Norcal Divisions. A lot of teams are just waiting for selection Sunday, there are only a handful of teams remaining. I do not see Montgomery dropping 9 spots to get into D2 even with a loss.

As so often happens....

Lose....

Such a screwed up playoff system...yeesh
This is spot on. My 10 year old son has started to get into high school sports and has asked a lot of questions about how the playoffs work. To explain it to someone with no past knowledge highlights how much the CIF and sections have tried to duct tape leaks on their boat.

Credit to Benicia, came out and played a heck of a game! Totally deserved! Now let's see where everyone ends up.

Monty, awful loss, at home damn near, in the northbay on a Friday night with traffic, what more can you ask for? Will the northbay ever win anything? I’d say no going forward never have The athletes, Benicia isn’t even a good program at all, Monty Was 28-3 and couldn’t get it done….when will anyone in northbay,,,remember CN ran out tom B for a second round exit ?

Guru -

That makes sense but I do not know if that will happen. Currently Montgomery is ranked 13 in maxpreps rankings in Northern California and Benicia is ranked 47 in the maxpreps rankings in Northern California. Even with a Benicia win they are not going to jump ahead of Montgomery. Last year the committee placed Las Lomas as the #1 seed in D3 and Justin-Siena #7 D3. Justin-Siena beat Las Lomas by 30 during the season. It is my opinion, all they look at is maxpreps ratings when determining the Norcal Divisions. A lot of teams are just waiting for selection Sunday, there are only a handful of teams remaining. I do not see Montgomery dropping 9 spots to get into D2 even with a loss.
Dont be ridiculous Winetot.

There is no chance that Monty will be seeded above Benecia in the Norcals.

Guru -

There are numerous sections in Northern California Winetot and each section can only send so many to D1. Remind me again how many teams from the NCS Open won't be in the state open? ALL of the non Open teams will be in D1 and the Top 2 finishers in the NCS D1...is that 6? Plus you have the D2 and D3 winners potentially put in D1.

Monty will NOT be put in D1..

Last edited:
Reactions: Smallveteran
Monty, awful loss, at home damn near, in the northbay on a Friday night with traffic, what more can you ask for? Will the northbay ever win anything? I’d say no going forward never have The athletes, Benicia isn’t even a good program at all, Monty Was 28-3 and couldn’t get it done….when will anyone in northbay,,,remember CN ran out tom B for a second round exit ?
Thank you for your highly valued opinion.

Guru - It is spelled Benicia and will Justin-Siena be D4 if they lose tomorrow night?

Legend - Slight edge to Benicia 53-50... So I am sticking with my projection of Montgomery ahead of Benicia. There is zero chance that Benicia is D1.

Last edited:
Guru - It is spelled Benicia and will Justin-Siena be D4 if they lose tomorrow night?

Legend - Slight edge to Benicia 53-50... So I am sticking with my projection of Montgomery ahead of Benicia. There is zero chance that Benicia is D1.
Both will most likely be D2 . Benicia should be seeded stronger then Monty: Most likely will not though !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT