ADVERTISEMENT

CARDINAL NEWMAN AT SANTA ROSA...NBL weds...1/21

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
Both teams 5-0 in NBL play....

Both teams shared the Co-NBL championship last yr.....

The players don't like each other, the parents don't like each other and the schools don't like each other....lol

sole possession of 1st place on the line....

should be a fun one to watch!!!! :)

weds...1/21......Game time 7:30 pm.....at Santa Rosa HS....

Capacity crowd expected.....get there early if you want a seat....

This post was edited on 1/20 4:08 PM by northbaybbguru

These kinds of games are what make high school sports so much fun. We talk about rankings and showcases and college players, but there's nothing like a local rivalry between two good teams whose players, parents and fans have known each other, and competed against each other, since the kids were in elementary school.

Winning state titles is great, but I have to say my most satisfying wins as a coach were over Miramonte, Campolindo and Acalanes (I coached at both Campo and Acalanes) when the opponent was good. And a loss, an 85-83 triple overtime game against Miramonte, was pretty fun as well (in retrospect, at least).

Nothing like a lot of fans, fired-up students, two quality teams (even if not top-ranked in the state) and a little dose of dislike to make for a great game.

NCS is loaded in D4. How far do you see this CN team going. They have played a very impressive schedule. Do any of the younger players have D1 looks yet? Personally I see them winning by double figures.

great post CLAY K.....spot on!!!!

LARRY LEGEND....as far as the youngsters for CN....

from what I hear....the 2 sophomore bigs have gotten alot of interest....15-20+ letters each and multiple D1 coaching staffs
attending CN practices...

and the leading scorer on the team is a freshman...

LARRY LEGEND......

are your initials CD ?

did you use to be one of the rugrats running around the boys and girls club in santa rosa back in the day?

if so...you need to get out to a CN girls game before the year is over...you may be surprised whos daughter is the
CN leading scorer...lol

I love this thread. Takes me back to my NBL days at Montgomery High School 35 years ago. Some things never change. How are my Vikings doing lol

Girls are so-so.....currently mid pack....coach Steve Bell had a 15yr. 20 win season streak ended LAST year.

They are 8-9 overall and 3-2 in league.....looks like a low seed in D2..if any at all, for sections...

BOYS....HIGH expectations early in year.....injuries to their best player (septimo) have killed them.
and now their 6'9 PF is ineligible for the rest of the year....

They are 8-8 overall and 3-1 in league.....

So a down year for your Monty squad in hoops...sorry

That's me north bay! Loved that boys and girls club. Basically grew up in that gym along with Slater. We had a good crew.
I'm really happy for the girls program. Ursuline always had great teams. Heck when I was a senior they won state champ. Nice to see that tradition continue. I do need to see them play.

Originally posted by Ol' Brick Layer:
That's not like the old days. Won it all, NorCal champs in '79. Ok, some things do change
Maybe NBL champs, but Campo won NCS in '79 in the AA division beating Monty in the finals behind the 6'7" sharpshooter Mitch Haas and 6'8" shot blocker Harold Odom. I don't think there was a NorCal tourney back then. NCS was the end of the line.

Good knowledge Observe22. I stand corrected. And then to recall the Designated Gunner and Dr. Swat. I guess we have to go back to 77 and NCS where Monty beat Alhambra and my good friend Stan VanGundy. Enuf of the old times from an Old Brick Layer

All these names from the past ...

I used to play pickup with Mitch Haas all the time. Funny looking shot but it always went in.

Stan Van Gundy and another guard (Cortes?) were a nice combo for Alhambra back in the day.

And the old rivalries somehow retain those memories. The Lamorinda high school battles go back to the '60s; San Ramon and Monte Vista the same; and Pittsburg-Antioch might be the fiercest of all.

Northbaybbguru- You still sporting that sweet Louisville starter? I figured it out. Loved those times and miss all of you.
I will be out to see that super frosh.

Is the super frosh the lefty shooter?

If so, bad ass
laugh.r191677.gif

Lol....

close LARRY, but no cigar..... Louisville is the freshman (Flores) father....but that's not me.

I'm not a parent nor a coach...just a HS basketball fan who has been around awhile and seems to know everyone in town..haha....

and yes G61...the lefty shooter is a freshman (Flores)....

Northbay- Dang. Thought I had you. I will have to dig deep down memory lane. But you do remember that jacket? Ha ha. I remember all the old warriors always coming up. Teagle, Mullin, Mr Mean Larry Smith. Great times at the club. Sounds like Flo's daughter is a baller. Like father like daughter. Look forward to watching Newman make a deep run for both boys and girls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT