ADVERTISEMENT

CARDINAL NEWMAN--back on top

Bluedog2

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2007
The year 2015 saw a rough preseason beginning as Cardinal Newman lost a close shootout 35-34 to St.Mary's of Stockton and then ran into Clayton Valley charter and fell 28-0. AND then league play began and CN marched thru to a 7-0 finish, and for the season it was 11-3 which include a hair raiser 43-42 over Fortuna in the first play off, but went down to Marin Catholic 38-21 in the final.
This year, CN will once again be led by Jordan Brookshire who will have a big line up front to protect him and the combination will be tough to stop.
I first saw Brookshire at the Battle at the Capitol where he and the team ran over Churchill Co. of Fallon Nev. 56-32 and as young as he was then, he was a holly terror...And today, Jordan is 6-2 and 195 and with his team mates, they are gearing up for the 2016 campaign.

8-19.....Justin Siena scrimmage Home 7:00 P.M.
8-26.....Fortuna Away 7:30 P.M.
9-02.....St. Mary's of Stockton Away 7:15 P.M.
9-09.....Analy Away 7:30 P.M.
9-14.....Ukiah Home 7:30 P.M.
9-23.....Casa Grande Away 7:30 P.M.
9-30.....Bye
10-07.....Maria Carrillo Away 7:30 P.M.
10-14.....Montgomery Away 7:30 P.M.
10-21.....Windsor Home 7:30 P.M.
10-28.....Santa Rosa Home 7:30 P.M.
11-04.....Rancho Cotate Away 7:30 P.M.
Cardinal Newman's big game will be against St. Mary's of Stockton who looks to be loaded this year, but last season it was a super close battle and looks to be another on the way....If Fortuna does not get hit by graduation, this could very well be another hard fought game...

Reactions: insidescoop99
As much as I like Brookshire, Wallace is another huge key to that Newman team. How is that injury doing he sustained last year? I def think newman will be the team to beat in the Redwood Empire this year.

As much as I like Brookshire, Wallace is another huge key to that Newman team. How is that injury doing he sustained last year? I def think newman will be the team to beat in the Redwood Empire this year.
Larry......I think the combination of Wallace and Brookshire gives CN a good one-two punch and with that big line up front,, the two should do a lot of damage...Brookshire seems to be getting stronger as time goes by, so when it comes time to meet Fortuna, CN will be ready.....

Not to discount Brookshire,but Churchill Co. of Fallon Nev would be considered an above average northern CA team but most of the best northern NV teams come out of the Northern High Desert league (Reed, Carson City, McQueen, Douglas...). The year Cardinal Newman played them they were decent but would be considered average to above average for a northern CA public school.

What playoff division will Newman be playing this season? St Mary's will be athletic and fast this coming season. Should be a good test.

I think Newman is back in the division they technically belong in. (D4). They had been playing D3 for years. Reed is very, very, good. They beat a great Oak Ridge team last year 54-42 and only had one loss which was too nationally ranked Bishop Gorman in the finals. So yeah Reed can play.

Newman is going to be really tough. Should be a great season coming up.

with the new NCS realignment criteria CN will still be in D4 while Marin Catholic gets moved up to D3.

If CN makes it to the NCS final this year they will qualify to be moved up to D3 next year.

As of this moment I see it as a Moreau Catholic/CN championship game this year in D4.

and I see that game as a shootout.

with the new NCS realignment criteria CN will still be in D4 while Marin Catholic gets moved up to D3.

If CN makes it to the NCS final this year they will qualify to be moved up to D3 next year.

As of this moment I see it as a Moreau Catholic/CN championship game this year in D4.

and I see that game as a shootout.

Does CN opt up to D3?

I know some alumni and some parents were pissed at the decision to stay in D4 (not to mention the complete meltdown job of the Fort Bragg coach).

I'd hope Cronin would want to go back to D3, but really don't know what their plans are. For selfish reasons, I like the possibility of a MC/CN game since for watever reason they won't play in the preseason anymore.

I'm with you bella. I would like to see them play in D3. I've always loved the MC and Newman rivalry. Do they play up in baseball because they are typically in NCS d2.

Does CN opt up to D3?

I know some alumni and some parents were pissed at the decision to stay in D4 (not to mention the complete meltdown job of the Fort Bragg coach).

I'd hope Cronin would want to go back to D3, but really don't know what their plans are. For selfish reasons, I like the possibility of a MC/CN game since for watever reason they won't play in the preseason anymore.
I don't think anyone really opts up anymore given the recent structure of the postseason bowl games. I don't think Newman will opt up or has any reason to opt up.

I don't think anyone really opts up anymore given the recent structure of the postseason bowl games. I don't think Newman will opt up or has any reason to opt up.

Other than better competition, challenging/pushing yourself and trying to be the best. It's a weird concept for millenial nation, but there was a time when people actually cared and wanted to push/better themselves. Not much anymore. Honestly just depends on goals and priorities of the program I guess. I'm of the belief of if you can compete at that level do it. If they don't feel that way then I guess go the "safe space/comfort zone".

Last edited:
I'm with you bella. I would like to see them play in D3. I've always loved the MC and Newman rivalry. Do they play up in baseball because they are typically in NCS d2.

Yes CN was not great this year, but does play D2 for baseball. MC was D2 and was upset by Monty (like what coach Ward is building there).

Other than better competition, challenging/pushing yourself and trying to be the best. It's a weird concept for millenial nation, but there was a time when people actually cared and wanted to push/better themselves. Not much anymore. Honestly just depends on goals and priorities of the program I guess. I'm of the belief of if you can compete at that level do it. If they don't feel that way then I guess go the "safe space/comfort zone".
I agree that if you feel that you have a shot to win the next division up, then go up and win it (if your current division is not competitive). The private schools need to win to keep their enrollment up, that probably weighs in on their decision as well.

I agree that if you feel that you have a shot to win the next division up, then go up and win it (if your current division is not competitive). The private schools need to win to keep their enrollment up, that probably weighs in on their decision as well.

True, but that's kind of the point with Newman. They have shown they can compete and win at that next level.

This should be a very interesting year for CN and MC, for two different reasons...

Brookshire seems to be bigger, faster and stronger. He is also throwing the ball way better than anyone expected. Wallace will return and light it up as we all know. They will also have another 3 receiver who can flat out catch the ball. The defense will be much improved especially at the linebacker and DB positions.

With the lost of Peterson, and the bulk of there starters I don't see MC doing a whole lot beyond the regular season schedule. I know they a few studs, but will that be enough??

True, but that's kind of the point with Newman. They have shown they can compete and win at that next level.
Good point. Maybe they are chasing a section title, and feel they have a better shot at D4 this year. Not sure exactly, but I believe CN has only been in the section finals 1 time in D3 since 2008. With Marin Catholic & St. Mary's of Berkeley up to D3, CN should be the D4 team to beat hands down.

This should be a very interesting year for CN and MC, for two different reasons...

Brookshire seems to be bigger, faster and stronger. He is also throwing the ball way better than anyone expected. Wallace will return and light it up as we all know. They will also have another 3 receiver who can flat out catch the ball. The defense will be much improved especially at the linebacker and DB positions.

With the lost of Peterson, and the bulk of there starters I don't see MC doing a whole lot beyond the regular season schedule. I know they a few studs, but will that be enough??
I agree CN should be the clear favorite in D4.
Marin Catholic seems to be there every year. I would always consider them a contender whether they are pre-season favorites or not.

is the SMB move to D3 based on enrollment? Its certainly not based on results on the field. Are you sure they are D3 in football now???

and DONT SLEEP ON MOREAU CATHOLIC in D4...as I said on a previous post they and CN are the 2 teams to beat.

is the SMB move to D3 based on enrollment? Its certainly not based on results on the field. Are you sure they are D3 in football now???

and DONT SLEEP ON MOREAU CATHOLIC in D4...as I said on a previous post they and CN are the 2 teams to beat.
Agreed -- NB Guru.... They may have given Marin Catholic a tougher challenge than CN last year in NCS semi. They have some explosive players

Reactions: pantera-cat

I don't believe SMB is moved up to D3? Why? Enrollment is coed 500+,. They won D4 3 years ago, were D4 runner up 2 years ago, and got beat by Moreau in the D4 semis last year.

I don't believe SMB is moved up to D3? Why? Enrollment is coed 500+,. They won D4 3 years ago, were D4 runner up 2 years ago, and got beat by Moreau in the D4 semis last year.
So now I here that because they were in the D4 Championship game 2 years in a row and then finished in the semis in the 3rd year, that's the reason SMB was forced to move to D3.So it seems they did something on the field to be forced to move to D3

Actually SMB has had some decent results on the field in recent yearsD4 Champ 3 years ago,D4 runnerup 2 years ago,D4 semis loss to Moreau last year,Thats why they were forced up,Lack of respect for SMB

Actually SMB has had some decent results on the field in recent yearsD4 Champ 3 years ago,D4 runnerup 2 years ago,D4 semis loss to Moreau last year,Thats why they were forced up,Lack of respect for SMB

Wait so you just pointed out their respectable resume and performances. Based on these results they are rewarded by being bumped up a division (a promotion based on good performance). That's a lack of respect?

Wait so you just pointed out their respectable resume and performances. Based on these results they are rewarded by being bumped up a division (a promotion based on good performance). That's a lack of respect?
From the poster northbayguru,not from any entity

Read up in the thread where northbayguru says that SMB being bumped up a division "certainly isn't for results on the field"

by the letter of the new rules...SMB will be bumped up to D3 apparently. But they have gotten worse (result wise) the last 3 yrs. They should be allowed to stay at D4 where they are competitive but certainly not dominant. D4 is a good fit for them....not sure on D3 yet. We shall see.

The problem I see with the competitive balance rules in D4 is that a good class can come thru a school, allowing them to win or make a section final a couple of yrs. in a row and they immediately get bumped up. 1 section championship almost guarantees you are going to get bumped up. D4 should eventually get gutted under this system, which should make the Fort Bragg coach VERY happy. Some of the D4 powers such as MC and CN should get moved up if they continue winning, I agree. But some of the other D4 schools as D4 gets gutted will win sections etc...and should have no business being bumped up.

Last edited:
Reactions: remc
by the letter of the new rules...SMB will be bumped up to D3 apparently. But they have gotten worse (result wise) the last 3 yrs. They should be allowed to stay at D4 where they are competitive but certainly not dominant. D4 is a good fit for them....not sure on D3 yet. We shall see.

The problem I see with the competitive balance rules in D4 is that a good class can come thru a school, allowing them to win or make a section final a couple of yrs. in a row and they immediately get bumped up. 1 section championship almost guarantees you are going to get bumped up. D4 should eventually get gutted under this system, which should make the Fort Bragg coach VERY happy. Some of the D4 powers such as MC and CN should get moved up if they continue winning, I agree. But some of the other D4 schools as D4 gets gutted will win sections etc...and should have no business being bumped up.
I agree totally, D4 is where they belong and I think it's a new rule that has been implemented but not thought out. Now, I think each case has to be judged on an individual basis,a nice 2 year run and a decent 3rd year shouldn't result in an automatic bump up. But SMB is D4 through and through, they don't want to be D3 and they could not sustain a winning program in D3. They should petition to stay in D4

Reactions: northbaybbguru
I agree totally, D4 is where they belong and I think it's a new rule that has been implemented but not thought out. Now, I think each case has to be judged on an individual basis,a nice 2 year run and a decent 3rd year shouldn't result in an automatic bump up. But SMB is D4 through and through, they don't want to be D3 and they could not sustain a winning program in D3. They should petition to stay in D4

I couldn't agree more!!!

well stated remc

Instead of bumping a team up from D4 to D3, create a D4b division and move the crappier teams down so the D4a team can stay in D4a. Wait, on second thought not sure that would work, but it would at least allow the crappier teams to have a chance at a trophy which evidently is what moving teams up is all about!

Fort Bragg is D5 now. So they have awhile to worry about getting bumped up. Plus is they had two strong years in a row, no doubt Perkins would tank the 3rd to eliminate the chance of getting moved up and stay where they are.

Reactions: MC415
I couldn't agree more!!!

well stated remc
Personally I'd like to see SMB step up the football program. Don't know why the Administration there keeps stifling it. They are located in a great spot,between Richmond and Oakland. They could be a lot better if they emphasized it.Could easily be a power program in D4 or D3 if they increased enrollment just a little bit

The problem is with NCS structure. This is not NCAA, a team with a good senior class does not mean in 2 years that team (school) is still good. The only team that has shown that consistency overtime is DLS. The bigger D1 schools can do it as well Pitt, Foothill etc... But you cant expect that from smaller schools. When St Marys won section a couple of years ago that team was damn good. But the current team is not even close to that so it almost like penalizing this team for past success ??? .. makes no sense.

It would take more work but I suggest this.. By August 1, school must apply for division. It gets reviewed and approved by a board and set divisions. Coach Minor knows he doesn't have a competitive D3 team, so let him play D4. If you win a championship and you have a certain percent of juniors returning --say 40% (16 on 40 man roster -20 on 50 man roster- 12 on 30 man roster) You MUST move up division.

Reactions: remc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT