ADVERTISEMENT

CARDINAL NEWMAN CLASSIC..... DEC. 3, 4, 5

Nov 30, 2014
The 2nd annual Cardinal Newman Classic begins again next week on Dec 3,4 and 5th. (8 teams)

1st round games for Thursday Dec 3rd....

TOP OF THE BRACKET

Cardinal Newman vs. Menlo ... 6:30 pm
Piedmont vs. Regis Jesuit (colo)... 5:00 pm

BOTTOM OF THE BRACKET

Oakland vs. SHC ... 3:30 pm
Oregon City (Ore) vs. Santa Rosa ... 8:00 pm

YSN365.com will be airing all the 1st round games again this year.
As soon as I get the link I will post it.

****** LINK: http://www.ysn365.com/live/

I will make sure to update the stats and breakdown the games every night after I get home from the tourney.

Last edited:
Great event -- congrats to Monica for getting such high-profile teams. Expect Oregon City to start the year in the national rankings as one of several strong Oregon teams. Regis Jesuit isn't what it was a few years ago but will still be a force in Colorado.

We'll also find out a lot about local teams Menlo, Piedmont and Oakland ...

Nice tournament CN. After the first round will be some good battles like D4 match CN and Piedmont. Then SHC questions will be answer if the JV players from last can contribute in a big game like Oregon City. Last round in my opinion will be CN vs. Oregon City with them winning a close game with CN. Both Oregon City and CN play the same type of game.

The 2nd annual Cardinal Newman Classic begins again next week on Dec 3,4 and 5th. (8 teams)

1st round games for Thursday Dec 3rd....

TOP OF THE BRACKET

Cardinal Newman vs. Menlo ... 6:30 pm
Piedmont vs. Regis Jesuit (colo)... 5:00 pm

BOTTOM OF THE BRACKET

Oakland vs. SHC ... 3:30 pm
Oregon City (Ore) vs. Santa Rosa ... 8:00 pm

YSN365.com will be airing all the 1st round games again this year.
As soon as I get the link I will post it.

I will make sure to update the stats and breakdown the games every night after I get home from the tourney.

The link for the games is:

http://www.ysn365.com/live/

Reactions: ProfessorEX
Do you know if these games will be archived on YSN or just live?

SHC dominated...Its still very early but SHC looks big, strong and fast. Would be nice if they could get a rematch with Oregon City this year and win.

Piedmont drops by 2 to Regis Jesuit of Colorado.
Oregon City over Santa Rosa
Cardinal Newman over Menlo

To bad SHC and OC meet in the semis instead of the final. Regis-jesuit should play better today after getting some rest as their flight was delayed and they got in just in time to play their game and that is tough.

sorry about the delay.....
here we go...

Day 1 of the Cardinal Newman classic....

Game 1. 3:30pm

SHC 96 Oakland 36

Junior studette Limari'i Thomas leads the way for SHC with 28 pts.
Thomas showed why she is one of the best juniors in the state. She was bringing the ball up, getting SHC into their offense. Crashing the boards offensively and defensively and generally doing it all. Nice game.
Jr Edina Del Rosario also had 10 pts for SHC.

For Oakland Aleah Sims led the way with 10 pts.

I thought the refs had an EXTREMELY soft whistle. Some interesting scratch your head calls by one of the refs. Frustrating as a basketball fan.

Game 2. 5;00pm

The best game of the night....

Regis Jesuit 57 Piedmont 55

Piedmont without their 6'2 starting center Kelsey Fennell who is still playing water polo.

Right out of the gate both teams got after it, Intense and physical.
Regis pressed and the Piedmont youngsters(they started 2 frosh and a soph) had a little trouble with it to begin.
Regis had a decent halftime lead 35-26 and stretched it to as high as 15 mid 3rd....it looked like the rout was on.
But Piedmont showing a lot of heart came roaring back to actually take the lead by 1 pt mid 4th, I thought Piedmont youngsters played well and settled down after the initial press shock. With 1 minute left in the 3rd Piedmont best player NyDajah Jackson fouled out with the score 44-41 RJ. The 4th quarter was back and forth with RJ maintaining a 1-3 pt lead. Until finally Piedmont took a 1 pt lead with just over 3 mins left. It was tied at 53 all with 3 mins left when sophomore starter Jasmine Huggins also fouled out for Piedmont. It was still tied at 55 all with :25 secs. On the last possession RJ senior American University bound TaeKenya Cleveland scored with 9.8 secs left to give RJ the win.

for Piedmont NyDajah Jackson had 14 pts.

For RJ TaeKenya Cleveland had 17 pts.

I thought Piedmont showed a lot of heart. They could have caved in but didn't. They battled to the end, even with 3 starters out at that point. Tough loss but a lot to be proud of.

I thought the Regis Jesuit bigs were pretty good. I can see why 6'4 sophomore Noelle Cahill (#40) is being recruited by Stanford. She BIG and strong, has great court sense and awareness, sees the floor well and is a good passer. She moves well (definitely not a stiff..lol) and looks like she is working on developing a post game (but its still a work in progress).

Game 3 6;30 pm

CN 62 Menlo 51

I was impressed with Menlo. They played hard and battled. You can see why they are the 3 time defending CCS D4 champs. It was 26-25 CN at half. It was a 20-12 3rd by CN that ultimately gave them the difference in the final score. I thought BOTH teams shot the 3 pretty well but it was the CN size that gave Menlo trouble as they had countless shots blocked inside.

Sam Erisman of Menlo had a very good game with 16 pts. She impressed with me with her toughness and tenacity.
She's a good ballplayer and can play on my team anytime.

For CN Hailey Vice-Neat had 19 pts. including 3 3's
and freshman Avery Cargill getting the start at PG in her 1st varsity game had 14 pts including 3 3's.

Game 4 8:00 PM

Ore. City 72 Santa Rosa 45

Santa Rosa actually hung tough early on but missed too many layups and found themselves down 22-13 at the end of 1.
Honestly if they had just made their layups it could have very easily been a 2 pt game at the end of 1.
BUT in the 2nd quarter OC came with the heat. And a 25-2 run later it was OC 47 SR 15 at half.
For the rest of the game it was very workmanlike for OC and they were able to get their reserves some run.

For OC Vandy commit Cierra Walker had 15 pts. on 5 3's.
And Central Wash commit Taylor Shaw had 18 pts.

For Santa Rosa Emily Codding had 15 pts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My overall take on the day.....

EVERYONE looked rusty as hell. Lots of turnovers and stupid fouls. EXCEPT for Oregon City who looked like they were in midseason form.

I think form held....the teams we thought would win the 1st round games, did.

which makes for some VERY interesting 2nd round games today.

Game 1 3;30 pm

Oakland VS Santa Rosa

Oakland has had a rough start on the year and is desperate need of a win. They should contend in the OAL and ultimately I would expect them to make their sections. So a win vs another D1 opponent is huge.
Santa Rosa is in tough right out of the gate with their schedule. The CN classic and then the Amador Valley tourney where they open vs Berkeley. Wins will be tough to come by. This is a chance for a win vs a D1 opponent. As I previously said...big game for BOTH teams.
I would expect this game to be a battle.

Game 2 5:00pm

Menlo Vs Piedmont.

Another potential seedings game. I expect both teams to be in Norcals, This game could determine who gets the higher seed between the 2 when the time comes.
Piedmont Center Kelsey Fennell is expected back today.
I think this game will be a great game. The 2nd best game of the day/night.

Game 3 6:30

SHC vs OC

Expect a war....
Its been 1 year since a controversial no call at the buzzer cost SHC a chance to beat OC last year in a 1 pt loss in this game.
The SHC coaching staff and the kids have been waiting for their rematch.
The game of the night.
I cant wait!! lol

Game 4 8:00pm

CN vs Regis Jesuit.

Lots of college bound "Bigs" in this game. RJ goes 6'4, 6'1, 6'1....CN goes 6'5, 6'3, 6'0....
BUT it will be the guards who determine who wins this game IMO.

http://www.ysn365.com/live/ will air the 2 winners bracket games again at 6:30 and 8:00pm

Last edited:
My computer froze and then died and I lost all my info sorry.....F&*^%&*%$#@!!!!!!!!!!

Just posting the scores...sorry

SR 50. Oakland 40
Menlo 69. Piedmont 66 OT
SHC 80.. OC 65
CN 47. Regis J 34

Had a big write-up almost done again and my computer froze and I lost it...sorry....too tired to redo it.

Sat games...starting at noon

12:00pm Piedmont VS Oakland
1:30pm. Menlo vs. Santa Rosa
3:00pm Regis J. vs. O.C.
4:30pm Championship... SHC vs. CN

The 3:00pm 3rd place game and 4:30 championship game will be on ysn365 again.

Thanks for the results!

Surprised SHC handled Oregon City so easily. Also, good showing by Menlo through two games

SHC dominated...Its still very early but SHC looks big, strong and fast. Would be nice if they could get a rematch with Oregon City this year and win.
Irish beat Oakland 96-36 and beat Oregon City 80-65. Irish have some size, speed and good 3-point shooting.

Going to be tough for Newman girls to keep the pace with SHC. But a great early season matchup.
NBguru- Thx for all the info.

Thanks for the results!

Surprised SHC handled Oregon City so easily. Also, good showing by Menlo through two games

was
Thanks for the results!

Don't let the SHC/OC score fool you...it was a straight war from the get go. OC had 3 starters foul out late and the score got out of hand at the end. In my opinion it may have been the best girls game ever played in Sonoma county. That was some hi level ball. OC tried to press and run with SHC and that was probably a bad strategy..lol
The OC coach said afterwards that was the best team they will play all season. Wont see that kind in Oregon.

If you want to watch a very good HS basketball game...go to YSN365 (link above) and watch the replay. Well worth it.

for OC Cierra Walker had 30 pts.
for SHC Limari'i Thomas had 28 pts.

for Menlo...Sam Erisman has been playing really well. definitely impressed me.

was

Don't let the SHC/OC score fool you...it was a straight war from the get go. OC had 3 starters foul out late and the score got out of hand at the end. In my opinion it may have been the best girls game ever played in Sonoma county. That was some hi level ball. OC tried to press and run with SHC and that was probably a bad strategy..lol
The OC coach said afterwards that was the best team they will play all season. Wont see that kind in Oregon.

If you want to watch a very good HS basketball game...go to YSN365 (link above) and watch the replay. Well worth it.

As I commented before the season began SHC is a team to look out for. They are a young but extremely confident group of ballers. And like last season they were really St. Mary's of Stockton's toughest Norcal matchup. They believed then and probably more so now that they can ball with any team. And in girls basketball that belief can turn into confidence and momentum.

Last edited:
If the games are half as good as the recaps it must be one heck of a tournament. Great recaps.

was

Thanks for the update on the SHC game. This has turned into a really good tournament

No!!! Is that a final? Wow... Well it looks like the girls from Newman are going to be a force to reckon with.

1st game
Piedmont 56 Oakland 48

for Piedmont NyDajah Jackson had 19 pts. and earned All tourney.
For Oakland Aleah Sims had 13 pts.

it started off like Piedmont was going to coast to an easy win. Getting out to double digit lead.
But Oakland came roaring back in the 4th and actually took a 10 pt lead with 4mins left !!!!
Piedmont then came roaring back themselves...lol and ended winning by 8. crazy game

2nd game
Menlo 67 SR 48

for Menlo Hannah Paye had 14pts. and Mackenzie Dufner had 15
for SR Emily Codding had 20 pts on six 3's.

Sam Erisman for Menlo and Emily Codding for SR were named All tourney

3rd game
Ore City 52 RJ 33

OC never trailed an it never felt like they were ever threatened....easy win

For OC... Jordan Kelly had 12 pts. and Cierra Walker had 10.
For RJ... Ezekiah Johnson had 9pts. and Jasmine Gaines had 7.

Jasmine Gaines, Takenya Cleveland for RJ & Cierra Walker and Taylor Shaw for OC were named all tourney
Cierra Walker had the tourney high game of 30 pts vs SHC

Championship....
SHC 54 CN 50

for SHC Ilmari'i Thomas had 23 pts and was named the TOURNEY MVP
for SHC Errayanna Hatfield and Edina Del Rosario were All tourney.
for CN Avery Cargil and Hailey Vice-neat were also named All tourney

Cn jumped out to a quick 10-0 lead causing SHC to use a T.O. At the end of 1 CN lead 21-10.
SHC battled back to only be trailing 28-24 at half.

CN came out in the 3rd and had it to 8 before SHC hits shot at buzzer to cut it to 6 at end of the 3rd qtr. 43-37 CN

The 4th was back and forth with SHC cutting the lead to one and then CN pushing the lead back up on a few occasions. Leading 50-45 with 4 mins left. CN never scored again. SHC took their 1st lead of the game with 49 secs left and ultimately won 54-50. GREAT game.....heartbreaking loss for us CN fans :-(

WIN OR LOSE the championship... ILMARI'I THOMAS was the tourney MVP...she dominated....GREAT tourney by her.

*** I will have to double check but I think Thomas set the record for most points total in the tourney with 79 in 3 games.

Last edited:
Guru- terrific notes on tourney. Sounds like it's starting to draw great reviews.
2 questions. Who is Newmans toughest opponent in d4? Next any word on Wallace?

Guru- terrific notes on tourney. Sounds like it's starting to draw great reviews.
2 questions. Who is Newmans toughest opponent in d4? Next any word on Wallace?

No word on Wallace...I will probably see him or his father this week at some point. Ask me that question gain in 2 weeks.

D4 opponents.....

Salesian is 4-0 already with a 13pt win over McClatchy (D1 state champs). They are the team to beat in norcal D4 all sections.
SMB is always good and will be again.
Piedmont has had a slow start with a couple of close losses to good teams. Thy finally have all their players and by the end of the year will be a tough out as always.
Menlo IMO is the team to beat out of the CCS. I'm not sure on Scotts Valley , they graduated 2 good players, I'm in a wait and see with them.
West campus is getting a lot of love in the SJS with 2 D1 guards.
Brookside Christian is another wait and see. I know there has been a lot of chatter on here about them and how good they will be (from BC parents) but they did lose 2 D1 girls. We will know how good they are by the end of the month after the WCJ ... PICO has set up a EXTREMELY difficult schedule for BC. I'm curious to see how they respond.

If I'm forgetting anybody sorry, please let me know NCP posters!!!

****JUST realized I forgot about Marin Catholic in the NCS....they are the favorite in the MCAL. But I think they are a notch below the teams listed above.

Last edited:
Thanks. So sorry to hear about Wallace. Such a fine young man and athlete. Lets hope for the best.

whats your email larry? I will send when I get info
I read in the press democrat today. Poor kid. I guess MRI will tell more but with what they said that is a good year. Bonfigli must be steaming. They went from a contender to a middle of the pack team. The Rose City Tourney lineup is awful. Sad what has happened to that tourney.

The Rose City is a joke.....embarrassing, Bonfigli should be ashamed at what he's turned it into. As I said before...he's all about the wins at this point of his career. Afraid to play anybody.

Rose City is bad... Ugh. Boy times have changed. Monty has gone out and put together a nice tourney with quality teams.

Heard PD reporting good news about Wallace this am... Prayers his way.

From the PD:

There was positive news following an MRI on the left knee of Cardinal Newman football-basketball player Damian Wallace.

The results showed no ligament damage, according to his stepfather, Ken Bohoman.

An earlier X-ray showed a crack in the tibia, which is below the knee.

“We’re not sure if surgery will be needed,” Bohoman said. “We’re hopeful he won’t be sidelined too long.”

Sounds like pretty good news for the kid, but not particularly great news for the basketball program. If he's a legit college football prospect maybe he's better off rehabbing, getting stronger and not trying to come back too soon to play a sport that he won't play at the next level.

There is not a doubt in my mind he can play college football at some level. He's on the smaller side but he's a difference maker out there. He's a very good HS basketball player as well. Bonfigli doesn't have a great team this year but his kids play hard and they are good enough to make a little noise. Monty doesn't have a great team either. I think Windsor is the team to beat like NBguru said.

Yeah, Windsor would be the team to beat if anybody was up to it. But I don't think anybody is. NBL will be weak this year; both Casa and Monty have big drop-offs. CN should be pretty good if Rubatino can play and Brookshire can shake off the rust. With a healthy Wallace they would be a threat. Ukiah is pretty big and physical so they could be a little tough, especially at home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT