ADVERTISEMENT

Carmel doesn’t opt up

There was no play-in game in 2009, so some panel elected who represented Norcal in each of 4 or 5 Bowl games. Carmel was one of the teams in the running but no idea if they would have been selected even if they were interested. As I recall they needed to put in some paperwork to be considered but Anderson chose not to. I may be wrong but that’s how I remember things went.

Sorry thought you were referring to opting up in the CCS playoffs. I highly doubt they would have been selected over Marin Catholic that year. He probably didn’t want to get the programs hopes up.

Reactions: FormerD1Backer
There was no play-in game in 2009, so some panel elected who represented Norcal in each of 4 or 5 Bowl games. Carmel was one of the teams in the running but no idea if they would have been selected even if they were interested. As I recall they needed to put in some paperwork to be considered but Anderson chose not to. I may be wrong but that’s how I remember things went.

You are correct about how bowl games were selected. Seaside won ccs that year and filled out the paperwork but was not selected.

It's entirely possible that Carmel's head coach/AD put the issue of moving up to his players. Perhaps he let them decide. Would be interesting to find out.

Alright man, I am going to be the first to call it. Carmel isn't going to win Division 5. I've TKA winning it all.
You were actually the 2nd to call it- see about a dozen posts prior. And Carmel wins D5. I'm picking TKA to see MVC in the semis, and TKA better stay focused on beating them 9 games later. MVC played a tougher schedule and is a better team than they saw in preseason.

Last edited:
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

I think Gonzales and Saratoga will be a mismatch. I cannot see Gonzales being very competitive with Saratoga. But it is hard to tell based on Gonzales schedule because I don't see any team that they played that even make the playoffs. I think Saratoga can be competitive with Carmel but I cannot see them beating them .
0-1 with predictions as Gonzales takes out Saratoga.

It's entirely possible that Carmel's head coach/AD put the issue of moving up to his players. Perhaps he let them decide. Would be interesting to find out.
Talked to some Carmel players who confirmed this decision didn’t include them. They are kids, happy to be in the playoffs and to have a shot at a DV title. I think we fans care a lot more about this than they do.

You were actually the 2nd to call it- see about a dozen posts prior. And Carmel wins D5. I'm picking TKA to see MVC in the semis, and TKA better stay focused on beating them 9 games later. MVC played a tougher schedule and is a better team than they saw in preseason.
I missed this call too as Monterey earns a hard fought win over MVC. Monterey has some athletes and a hard-running back. I don’t think they get past TKA in round 2 but may make it interesting.

How does a 2-8 team even make the playoffs? And if they do accept the bid, they’re likely to face the top ranked opponent, so it can’t be a surprise they are forced to play a team like St. Francis.
Because they finished 4th in their league. Auto bid

Alright man, I am going to be the first to call it. Carmel isn't going to win Division 5. I've TKA winning it all.
pete lavarato when at SHP beatup on Carmel each and every time they played! I think that is a big reason Carmel DID NOT OPT UP! Ironically Carmel will have to go thru TKA who is now coached by Pete Lavarato.

Maybe the Aragon coach/AD, knowing what might happen at the seeding meeting, put the issue to his players. Perhaps they decided to go ahead and enter the playoffs in spite of what has been a very disappointing season. Not sure about that.
YES! Sell is a solid experienced coach. If the kids want to play then let them play!!!! Look at their schedule! Despite bad losses they played arguably the toughest schedule in CCS

MVC lost

Talked to some Carmel players who confirmed this decision didn’t include them. They are kids, happy to be in the playoffs and to have a shot at a DV title. I think we fans care a lot more about this than they do.
if i coached, i would ask the players.

if i coached, i would ask the players.
Maybe you should coach. And maybe even become an AD at a small Public School. Then maybe you could understand the list of considerations Carmel’s Coach/AD had in mind. And I wish they had opted up too, but respect that it wasn’t my decision to make.

pete lavarato when at SHP beatup on Carmel each and every time they played! I think that is a big reason Carmel DID NOT OPT UP! Ironically Carmel will have to go thru TKA who is now coached by Pete Lavarato.
So Carmel didn’t opt up because Pete Lavorato’s teams beat them in the playoffs two times in five years, though Pete Lavorato’s current team wasn’t going to play in D3 Open, and Carmel will now likely see them in the DV final?

Yes, Carmel ducking D3 competition to face their Master in DV makes all sorts of logical sense.

I do agree with the fellow who said he would ask the kids. It is their team after all. Also I wonder why he does not allow their players highlights to be posted on MaxPreps. Kids love that being public. It’s not like teams won’t get film on them anyways.
However, being down at half time to a C league opponent ranked 65 spots below you in the section I think raises some concern.

Maybe you should coach. And maybe even become an AD at a small Public School. Then maybe you could understand the list of considerations Carmel’s Coach/AD had in mind. And I wish they had opted up too, but respect that it wasn’t my decision to make.
I mean no disrespect, just eliminating the kids from the whole picture doesn’t seem ok. This is a place for opinion and debate, right? This will be the last year of this playoff format. Probably the best shot for Carmel to get to State and prepare for A league next season. Good luck to Carmel in playoffs. Their first round win quite impressive!

I do agree with the fellow who said he would ask the kids. It is their team after all. Also I wonder why he does not allow their players highlights to be posted on MaxPreps. Kids love that being public. It’s not like teams won’t get film on them anyways.
However, being down at half time to a C league opponent ranked 65 spots below you in the section I think raises some concern.
Having watched them play all season I’ve concluded that this is a really tough team to contain for 4 quarters, and nobody has. They’ve been down at the half to A League, B League and now a C League team and still haven’t had a close game when said and done. Yesterday they had some costly miscues in the first half that led to points for Mt Pleasant and kept their D on the field way too long, then 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter they are on their way to a rout.
I don’t see any DV team that can beat the Padres if they keep making adjustments and limit turnovers. If you have seen them play I think you might agree.

Having watched them play all season I’ve concluded that this is a really tough team to contain for 4 quarters, and nobody has. They’ve been down at the half to A League, B League and now a C League team and still haven’t had a close game when said and done. Yesterday they had some costly miscues in the first half that led to points for Mt Pleasant and kept their D on the field way too long, then 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter they are on their way to a rout.
I don’t see any DV team that can beat the Padres if they keep making adjustments and limit turnovers. If you have seen them play I think you might agree.

I think Kings Acadamy will be a game opponent for 4 quarters. And if Gonzales can have a at least a two possession lead at half before Carmel’s half time adjustments I think that could be a decent game. But I agree with you how fast Carmel can turn things around and before you know it the game isn’t close any more. They are the golden state warriors of ccs football.

The reason Carmel didn't opt up was somewhat inferred to and mentioned by the coach in a newspaper article. It seems that after the Alisal game, Carmel team was pretty beat up (a few players couldn't practice much of the week) and it may have been more of a not want to risk injury having to play through a few teams that are even better. One game probably wouldn't have made it an issue, but playing two or three more games through the competition he may have felt it was too much for this team. I don't think it wasn't that he didn't think they could compete with any on one game, but the total of more than one game in a row to these teams in the playoff may have been the reason. That is my thought and that they would have to go through several privates and that this team probably isn't ready. Yes they played Salinas but that was one tough game at beginning of season and evidently after the Alisal game (a pretty physical team) may have taken a toll. Being a small public school, I think (my opinion) it was also a factor that a long season would impact other sports as well and there may be some of this thought like some coaches that the D3 Open having privates was for privates. They would just be happy winning a title. I am surprised the team wasn't asked but I guess that is the way it is there. I had heard from a good source they probably weren't opting up and I believe it was made during the season as result of that game and maybe some games a little more competitive than they should have been.

The reason Carmel didn't opt up was somewhat inferred to and mentioned by the coach in a newspaper article. It seems that after the Alisal game, Carmel team was pretty beat up (a few players couldn't practice much of the week) and it may have been more of a not want to risk injury having to play through a few teams that are even better. One game probably wouldn't have made it an issue, but playing two or three more games through the competition he may have felt it was too much for this team. I don't think it wasn't that he didn't think they could compete with any on one game, but the total of more than one game in a row to these teams in the playoff may have been the reason. That is my thought and that they would have to go through several privates and that this team probably isn't ready. Yes they played Salinas but that was one tough game at beginning of season and evidently after the Alisal game (a pretty physical team) may have taken a toll. Being a small public school, I think (my opinion) it was also a factor that a long season would impact other sports as well and there may be some of this thought like some coaches that the D3 Open having privates was for privates. They would just be happy winning a title. I am surprised the team wasn't asked but I guess that is the way it is there. I had heard from a good source they probably weren't opting up and I believe it was made during the season as result of that game and maybe some games a little more competitive than they should have been.

I don’t mind this reason if they were having to play schools that are way bigger than them but all the schools in D3 open are somewhat close in size and roster numbers as Carmel. Plus it’s the playoffs there aren’t suppose to be cupcake games like they are getting in D5. Carmels unwillingness to challenge them selves is the reason they will never be an elite small school program.

Reactions: 831ccschamp
I don’t mind this reason if they were having to play schools that are way bigger than them but all the schools in D3 open are somewhat close in size and roster numbers as Carmel. Plus it’s the playoffs there aren’t suppose to be cupcake games like they are getting in D5. Carmels unwillingness to challenge them selves is the reason they will never be an elite small school program.

I agree with you Hookup, but we want Carmel to be an Elite Small School Program. That is not what Carmel wants. The Administration, coaches and even the players. They are not looking to be a Palma, SHP, or even an Aptos. I think sometimes, we as posters, loose fact of what is best for the student athletes. And at these small schools they are truly student athletes. Only a couple kids on this roster have a chance of continuing on at a 4 year school. Carmel is unique in that they have had sustained success over the past 11 years but have never really taken up to the next level. And quite frankly the school and the community are ok with it.

Having had kids matriculate through Carmel and play in the program, as a parent I am ok with it as well. Norcal did a good job of talking through some of the reasons why they did not move up and they are all true. If he were to do it, this would of been the team, but he did not and I will not fault him on the decision.

Apparently being considered an elite small school program by us fans isn't one of their goals. I'm guessing Golden Anderson and the Administration at Carmel are fine with pursuing their primary two goals each year- winning The Shoe, and pursuit of a league title. I wish it were different just like you do, but not much to be done about that.

At the least we're going to see a Carmel schedule with few cupcakes next year no matter how their season goes, given the odds they end up in the Gabilan.

Reactions: RLS13
I agree with you Hookup, but we want Carmel to be an Elite Small School Program. That is not what Carmel wants. The Administration, coaches and even the players. They are not looking to be a Palma, SHP, or even an Aptos. I think sometimes, we as posters, loose fact of what is best for the student athletes. And at these small schools they are truly student athletes. Only a couple kids on this roster have a chance of continuing on at a 4 year school. Carmel is unique in that they have had sustained success over the past 11 years but have never really taken up to the next level. And quite frankly the school and the community are ok with it.

Having had kids matriculate through Carmel and play in the program, as a parent I am ok with it as well. Norcal did a good job of talking through some of the reasons why they did not move up and they are all true. If he were to do it, this would of been the team, but he did not and I will not fault him on the decision.
Wish I had been reading instead of typing as you said it better than I RLS!

Reactions: RLS13
And I think there are "cupcake" games in many divisions, i.e. Palma and Pioneer.

They are kids, happy to be in the playoffs and to have a shot at a ____ title. I think we fans care a lot more about this than they do.

Boy oh boy, I wish I could have this available as a "paste" response for 3/4 of the nonsense I read on here. Hats off to you for taking the time to actually talk to some kids though!

When I read things like "challenging themselves" and "elite" posted by adults on here I actually cringe because I know that A.) Regardless of what the kids accomplish(ed), there will be scores of people jumping at the chance to point out what they coulda, shoulda done better. AND B.) That kids could give 2 $hits about what some old has been thinks about the "quality" of their schedule or wins. For Pete's sake, when I was a kid in the stone age my concerns in a typical day ran the gamut from my pimpled complexion, to fixing my cassette deck with lots of girl thoughts throughout the day....But I don't recall EVER thinking to myself "gee I wish my coach would put together a more challenging schedule that featured bigger private schools or elite national teams so my Uncle and neighbor could win arguments on a message board about the machismo of "their" school!!"

Ya nothing we can do about them not wanting to be great. As a player I wouldn’t be ok with it. As a parent I wouldn’t really care unless my sons were in a position to play at the next level. At the end of the day it is what it is.

And I think there are "cupcake" games in many divisions, i.e. Palma and Pioneer.

Sure there are some but that’s because teams like Carmel don’t opt up haha. Carmel is going to sleep walk to the finals. TKA will be a good game. D3 open would have been much better with Carmel in it.

Who says they are mandated to become "an elite small school program?"

Boy oh boy, I wish I could have this available as a "paste" response for 3/4 of the nonsense I read on here. Hats off to you for taking the time to actually talk to some kids though!

When I read things like "challenging themselves" and "elite" posted by adults on here I actually cringe because I know that A.) Regardless of what the kids accomplish(ed), there will be scores of people jumping at the chance to point out what they coulda, shoulda done better. AND B.) That kids could give 2 $hits about what some old has been thinks about the "quality" of their schedule or wins. For Pete's sake, when I was a kid in the stone age my concerns in a typical day ran the gamut from my pimpled complexion, to fixing my cassette deck with lots of girl thoughts throughout the day....But I don't recall EVER thinking to myself "gee I wish my coach would put together a more challenging schedule that featured bigger private schools or elite national teams so my Uncle and neighbor could win arguments on a message board about the machismo of "their" school!!"
Honestly, after I had asked the question I felt badly that I did so. The response from them reminded me immediately of how far removed a teen-aged kid's mindset is from an adults. These aren't college kids, and I don't think they think of themselves as a program anything. They play football 3 months out of the year, and surf, play hoop, video games or whatever when that's done. They play cause they like the sport, their teammates, the coaches, the uniforms, the attention from girls, whatever. They don't decide what league they play in, or who is on their schedule. I was reminded of all of that about 3 seconds after I asked the question. These are just kids, and the rest of this stuff might mean more to them someday, like it does to all of us, but for now, they are just living in their bubble, enjoying the moment. God Bless them for that as we should all be so lucky!

Honestly, after I had asked the question I felt badly that I did so. The response from them reminded me immediately of how far removed a teen-aged kid's mindset is from an adults. These aren't college kids, and I don't think they think of themselves as a program anything. They play football 3 months out of the year, and surf, play hoop, video games or whatever when that's done. They play cause they like the sport, their teammates, the coaches, the uniforms, the attention from girls, whatever. They don't decide what league they play in, or who is on their schedule. I was reminded of all of that about 3 seconds after I asked the question. These are just kids, and the rest of this stuff might mean more to them someday, like it does to all of us, but for now, they are just living in their bubble, enjoying the moment. God Bless them for that as we should all be so lucky!

If the kids are good with it then that’s all that matters. All kids are cut from a different cloth. All programs have goals. Carmels has their own and they achieve them pretty much every year as of late. Most programs that have a chance at state have that as a goal. I would think in certain years Carmel could have that. I guess I just don’t get why a school and community don’t feel that way. Like I’ve said it is what it is. I hope they achieve their goal of a DV section title.

You're both wrong.

Watching both teams play I honestly think that Gonzales will win. They will win the turn over battle and will be able to run the ball and keep Carmel’s explosive offense off the field. I also think that TKA wins DV. Lavorato is a hell of a coach and he will exploit the defensive alignment of Carmel vs. a 22 personnel offense if they should face each other in the championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT