ADVERTISEMENT

CENTRAL CATHOLIC----ANOTHER TRIP TO THE PLAYOFF'S??

Bluedog2

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2007
In the 2015 season, Central Catholic ran over all the opposition in preseason and league play except for a shootout with Oakldale that CC won 42-37, but had to face Oakdale again that was another CC victory at 21-7.
This season, CC has a 9-1 JV team to beef up the varsity that ran over every one except for St. Mary's of Stockton which the JV's lost 16-7....CC has the bland brothers coming back and the hard running of Cole Petlansky plus a big line...
In the preseason for 2016, CC faces St. Mary's of Stockton and this will be their biggest test on 9-9, as St. Mary's will be strong with many coming back from last season with a very good QB, RB and a sold line and a 10-0 JV team to fill things out which will make St. Mary's hard to beat.
On the line is a winning streak of 21 victories, so this being prepared for this game, plus the rights to the victor will go a long way.
Last season, CC stopped St. Mary's 36-22, for the 2016 season, again, this will be the real test... To open the season CC hosts Marin Catholic which they trampled 49-14 in a real surprise, but the 2015 team had to be one of the best for CC in a long time.
A trip to down south l will have Cathedral Catholic on schedule which went 7-5 last season, but I don't see them as a threat even the San Diego team being a division one team. For the 2015 season, the victory at Sacramento State in the open, saw CC run over San Marino 56-21 for the crowning victory of the season...

8-26.....Marin Catholic Home 7:30 P.M.
9-01.....Cathedral Catholic (San Diego) at the Honor Bowl Away 7:30 P.M.
9-09.....St. Mary's of Stockton Home 7:30 P.M.
9-16.....Weston Ranch Away 7:15 P.M.
9-23.....Lathrop Home 7 P.M..
9-30.....bye
10-07.....Kimball Away 7 p.m.
10-14.....Manteca Home 7 P.M.
10-21.....Sierra Away 7 P.M.
10-28.....East Union Away 7 P.M.
11-04.....Oakdale Away 7 P.M.
With Oakdale being the last game of the season and always a challenge and even more, this season for Oakdale looks to be a rebuilding season, but Oakdale can surprise every one......

I'm really interested in seeing Central Catholic this year. They have made the decision to try and be a NorCal power, regardless of division, each year despite losing some key players. Roger Canepa and his staff do a wonderful job.

They have made the decision to try and be a NorCal power, regardless of division, each year despite losing some key players.

Decided to be a NorCal power? Interesting I already thought they already were what is it like 4 or 5 straight state titles? Not even DLS can boast that or any other team in the state for that matter. Yeah they are a power regardless of division.

Decided to be a NorCal power? Interesting I already thought they already were what is it like 4 or 5 straight state titles? Not even DLS can boast that or any other team in the state for that matter. Yeah they are a power regardless of division.
Ur kidding right? DeLa has the most Open titles,playing top teams for the past 30 years.

Ur kidding right? DeLa has the most Open titles,playing top teams for the past 30 years.

No I wasn't kidding. They are a power house period. I mean your going to knock them because of the division they play in? Look what hey have done speaks for itself and no DLS hasn't duplicated this feat. In fact their last loss at the state level was at D1 not open for what that's worth. Look a school with enrollment under 400 that has that many straight state titles is a power, period. It's also coed which makes the feet even more impressive. Now that doesn't mean I think they are better than DLS or even on their level. But I do recognize what has been accomplished there and it impressive.

Reactions: jordan24
Ok I looked it up they have won 4 straight state titles DLS also has won 4 straight before. But again point remains the same they are a NorCal power.

No I wasn't kidding. They are a power house period. I mean your going to knock them because of the division they play in? Look what hey have done speaks for itself and no DLS hasn't duplicated this feat. In fact their last loss at the state level was at D1 not open for what that's worth. Look a school with enrollment under 400 that has that many straight state titles is a power, period. It's also coed which makes the feet even more impressive. Now that doesn't mean I think they are better than DLS or even on their level. But I do recognize what has been accomplished there and it impressive.
Guys....Last year, CC knocked off St. Mary's 36-22 which is no easy task, now I would like to see what they can do with El Grove, Folsom and Del Oro, that may be a tall order, but the team just keeps coming on. Also, they ran over Marin Catholic 49-14 which I thought wouldn't happen, so any thing is possible.

Guys....Last year, CC knocked off St. Mary's 36-22 which is no easy task, now I would like to see what they can do with El Grove, Folsom and Del Oro, that may be a tall order, but the team just keeps coming on. Also, they ran over Marin Catholic 49-14 which I thought wouldn't happen, so any thing is possible.

Exactly. Again very small student body that is coed shouldn't be overlooked here either. They are a NorCal power plain and simple.

Reactions: remc and jordan24
This is nothing new. CC had a 50+ win streak back in the 70's and has 19 section titles, 4 straight small school state titles, and 9 Cal Hi Sports determined state titles prior to the SBG era.

At 400 kids they should be a D5 school but the SJS' “continued success rule” has bumped them all the way to D2 this year.

Great program. The last couple years most people have them in the top ten in NorCal. Last year most had them in the top ten statewide.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunningRon
At 400 kids they should be a D5 school but the SJS' “continued success rule” has bumped them all the way to D2 this year.

First, enrollment seedings only apply to teams that do not win their league. So as long as CC wins the VOL, they will play at least where their league is aligned (D3) - regardless of their enrollment.

There are actually 2 rules. The first is 3-wins-in-a-row. This rule applies to Folsom and Central Catholic. So they are moved up a division based on 3 consecutive section titles. And for winning a fourth consecutive title, they are moved up another division. CC won 3 in a row at D4, moved up to D3 (which is where their league is aligned) and won again, so they will play in D2 this year. Folsom won the last 3 D1 titles, so they will stay D1. This rule is applied automatically with no section 'recommendation'.

'Continued success' has to do with teams winning, but not winning section titles. The first criteria is section finalist or semifinalist four years in a row. This actually does not apply to anyone. The second criteria is 4 section titles in the last 6 years. This will apply to Del Oro this year, so DO will be playing in the D1 playoffs this year even if they do not win the SFL. Oakdale was close, playing in 5 out of the last 6 section championships, but lost three of those and missed the section title game in 2013. Likewise Bradshaw Christian is close. But this rule is only applied at the recommendation of the section commissioner.

Teams will continue to play 'up' once moved until they either miss the playoffs entirely, or they do not reach the section game two years in a row.

First, enrollment seedings only apply to teams that do not win their league. So as long as CC wins the VOL, they will play at least where their league is aligned (D3) - regardless of their enrollment.

There are actually 2 rules. The first is 3-wins-in-a-row. This rule applies to Folsom and Central Catholic. So they are moved up a division based on 3 consecutive section titles. And for winning a fourth consecutive title, they are moved up another division. CC won 3 in a row at D4, moved up to D3 (which is where their league is aligned) and won again, so they will play in D2 this year. Folsom won the last 3 D1 titles, so they will stay D1. This rule is applied automatically with no section 'recommendation'.

'Continued success' has to do with teams winning, but not winning section titles. The first criteria is section finalist or semifinalist four years in a row. This actually does not apply to anyone. The second criteria is 4 section titles in the last 6 years. This will apply to Del Oro this year, so DO will be playing in the D1 playoffs this year even if they do not win the SFL. Oakdale was close, playing in 5 out of the last 6 section championships, but lost three of those and missed the section title game in 2013. Likewise Bradshaw Christian is close. But this rule is only applied at the recommendation of the section commissioner.

Teams will continue to play 'up' once moved until they either miss the playoffs entirely, or they do not reach the section game two years in a row.
No issue with the rule if you thought that was my intent. It is just very impressive that CC keeps winning against public and private teams that are 3x to 4x their size and now are going to compete against even bigger schools.

Sorry, my post may have read rather cold. I was only clarifying how CC is is being moved up. Totally agree that what they are doing is very impressive. They clearly can compete with much bigger schools

This is nothing new. CC had a 50+ win streak back in the 70's and has 19 section titles, 4 straight small school state titles, and 9 Cal Hi Sports determined state titles prior to the SBG era.

Great program. The last couple years most people have them in the top ten in NorCal. Last year most had them in the top ten statewide.
Great program, but you can only accomplish what they accomplish with roughly 200 boys by recruiting fiercely, though that's no knock on them and takes nothing away from their achievements

I think my post was taken incorrectly. Central Catholic has long been one of the top programs in NorCal. My point was that over this latest run, how many times was Central Catholic considered a Top 5 team in the region overall? It seems like they are shooting for that on top of their divisional success

StreakOne understood -- have heard LOTS on Oakdale, Folsom, DO, etc. over years as NorCal powerhouses, CC not so much. Feedback's comment on Oakdale's 5 out 6 section games, Folsom 3 straight D1 titles and DO 4 titles in 6 years (and a state bowl) puts those in perspective, yet CC has 4 in a row yet don't hear as much (just personal opinion) -- leaning toward it being a divisional thing that will work itself out by schedule.

I think you are right that it is a divisional thing. It may be that CC doesn't receive the same vibes since prior to 2015, CC was playing and winning section titles in D4 - where they were playing teams like Sonora, Hilmar and Escalon. Oakdale meanwhile has been playing in D3 where they were playing Del Oro, Inderkum and Sacramento. I think most people would perceive that to be a pretty big jump in competitiveness. So they will jump to D2 this year where they will be playing some very good schools - especially since the SJS fixed the number of D1 leagues (and the number of teams that are being forced to play in the D1 playoffs as league champs).

Reactions: RunningRon

The way that they obviously recruit no, they shouldn't be a D5 school. To do what they do with 200 boys indicates that they are practically a hand picked roster.Its not how many they have,it's WHO they have.

CC does not have to prove they are a great program, they just need to see if they can compete vs the top tier D2 teams this year. I think the answer is yes. They get the players because they win and do things at a high level. The worst thing other local school in the area or section can do is complain instead of putting their energy into getting better and competing. This is what has made our country great and is now hurting it Competition! Don't complain and penalize the programs that are doing well or great, find a way to get better and compete. Your school has to make the commitment to be great at something and it starts with your administration. It's easy to sit back and be a lazy admin and lead the people to complain about others that are way out ahead of you, then ask for restrictions to slow them down or break them down. It's ok to be mid-pack or bottom half if things are not important to you, but remember it is a reflection of you and your leaders, not the fault of the people who are succeeding.

Reactions: Indianpride45
CC does not have to prove they are a great program, they just need to see if they can compete vs the top tier D2 teams this year. I think the answer is yes. They get the players because they win and do things at a high level. The worst thing other local school in the area or section can do is complain instead of putting their energy into getting better and competing. This is what has made our country great and is now hurting it Competition! Don't complain and penalize the programs that are doing well or great, find a way to get better and compete. Your school has to make the commitment to be great at something and it starts with your administration. It's easy to sit back and be a lazy admin and lead the people to complain about others that are way out ahead of you, then ask for restrictions to slow them down or break them down. It's ok to be mid-pack or bottom half if things are not important to you, but remember it is a reflection of you and your leaders, not the fault of the people who are succeeding.
Not complaining, but to do what they do with 200 boys, the reason is obvious. And as private school that's their prerogative. But there's no way a random sampling of 200 boys achieves what they achieve on a yearly basis.No matter how hard they work and dedicated they are.200 boys isn't enough to sustain that. I'm just being realistic, no knock on CC at all

Not complaining, but to do what they do with 200 boys, the reason is obvious. And as private school that's their prerogative. But there's no way a random sampling of 200 boys achieves what they achieve on a yearly basis.No matter how hard they work and dedicated they are.200 boys isn't enough to sustain that. I'm just being realistic, no knock on CC at all

They only use about 40 boys to accomplish what they do first off and it's clearly a knock. But hey I get to admit they are doing it with coaching and a solid system would be admitting other program are behind. So there has to be the recruiting slant.

I see your point that it is unique, but people said the same about De La Salle. They are not on that level, but some things are relative. Other private schools have similar advantage, but not the same results. It goes back to where your priorities and focus will be as a school and program.

They only use about 40 boys to accomplish what they do first off and it's clearly a knock. But hey I get to admit they are doing it with coaching and a solid system would be admitting other program are behind. So there has to be the recruiting slant.
With that few boys? Reality has to kick in somewhere. It's not like they've got 400 or 500 boys, that would be a realistic. Perhaps you could provide some specifics, maybe you know more. Especially since you know when someone is clearly taking a "shot ".at the program.

With that few boys? Reality has to kick in somewhere. It's not like they've got 400 or 500 boys, that would be a realistic. Perhaps you could provide some specifics, maybe you know more. Especially since you know when someone is clearly taking a "shot ".at the program.

If it's not a shot what is it? The reality seems to be anytime a program has success and its private the over whelming excuse is recruiting. When the facts are there is many private schools that don't have the success so open enrollment isn't really the overwhelming answer now is it? And to be able to project how well a 8th grade kid will be as a SR would be a art form that would better suit these supposed recruiters at the college or even pro level. I mean if they are this good at projecting talent and what talent will years down the road why stay at the HS level? Look no doubt it happens at the HS level it just get tiresome folks cling to that excuse as if it justifies their own team lack of success.

If it's not a shot what is it? The reality seems to be anytime a program has success and its private the over whelming excuse is recruiting. When the facts are there is many private schools that don't have the success so open enrollment isn't really the overwhelming answer now is it? And to be able to project how well a 8th grade kid will be as a SR would be a art form that would better suit these supposed recruiters at the college or even pro level. I mean if they are this good at projecting talent and what talent will years down the road why stay at the HS level? Look no doubt it happens at the HS level it just get tiresome folks cling to that excuse as if it justifies their own team lack of success.
My point isn't CC's success, it's with the extremely small numbers that they have with that success. On the surface surely you can see that. It's not like they've got 1,000 boys like DLS.With a student body that small logic dictates that their kind of football success would be extremely unlikely.

Schools can have magnet effects. Private schools with academics that are better than the surrounding schools will attract the students/families who put an emphasis on education. In the same way, athletic success has a magnet effect on athletes. When the two combine - superior academics and athletics (and tuition is affordable), then the program will attract a higher proportion of good athletes.

DLS runs a series of camps that is promoted thru their school website that is aimed a pre-high school kids - and which many believe serves as a recruiting vehicle for the program. I don't see anything like that on the CC website.

The magnet effect can easily explain the team's success. Remember they are not DLS. They are winning at D4/D3. Everyone plays with 11 on the field at any one time. And a very large school population does not mean much since there are many factors that have a significant impact (lifting program, coaching, athletic PE class, etc).

Its not rocket science folks. If you live in the modesto metro area and youre a more developed basketball player, youre leaning toward modesto Christian. More developed in football? CC is where youll go. Noticed i said more developed. Sometimes more developed = more talented, but not all the time. When you constantly have a stream of kids who have a better understanding of the game theyre playing, developing the talent becomes an easier task. And both the schools i mentioned have excellent coaching. To say recruiting is the reason for the success is wrong, but to not believe that kids are funneled to these schools is naive. The truth lies in the middle.

Its not rocket science folks. If you live in the modesto metro area and youre a more developed basketball player, youre leaning toward modesto Christian. More developed in football? CC is where youll go. Noticed i said more developed. Sometimes more developed = more talented, but not all the time. When you constantly have a stream of kids who have a better understanding of the game theyre playing, developing the talent becomes an easier task. And both the schools i mentioned have excellent coaching. To say recruiting is the reason for the success is wrong, but to not believe that kids are funneled to these schools is naive. The truth lies in the middle.

Same is true for footballers choosing Campolindo over Acalanes and Miramonte

My point isn't CC's success, it's with the extremely small numbers that they have with that success. On the surface surely you can see that. It's not like they've got 1,000 boys like DLS.With a student body that small logic dictates that their kind of football success would be extremely unlikely.

Of course because it can't be coaching and program.(smh)
Like I said its a shot because "logic" tells you it can't be anything but recruiting.

Like I said its a shot because "logic" tells you it can't be anything but recruiting.
Recruited, funneled, influenced,use your verb of choice.I never said they didn't have good coaching and a good program.But to say their success is exclusively because of coaching and program and they don't get some very talented kids mixed in is patently disingenuous.

So because someone sees it differently than you they are taking a shot at the program????Geezus, why so hypersensitive?

So because someone sees it differently than you they are taking a shot at the program????Geezus, why so hypersensitive?

Who's the hypersensitive me or you? You quoted the same post here what three times? And of course they get talent nobody is saying they don't. But they get that talent because of the coaching and program. To imply they get said talent because they recruit is taking a shot. But it's what everybody here does because for some crazy reason winning equals recruiting on these boards. Especially if your private.

Who's the hypersensitive me or you? You quoted the same post here what three times? And of course they get talent nobody is saying they don't. But they get that talent because of the coaching and program. To imply they get said talent because they recruit is taking a shot. But it's what everybody here does because for some crazy reason winning equals recruiting on these boards. Especially if your private.
I dont think either of us know for sure how they get their talent. But I have my ideas, and I could be wrong.

I dont think either of us know for sure how they get their talent. But I have my ideas, and I could be wrong.

Nope sure don't. But I know this. I have never ran into a recruiter for CCM anywhere. For that matter I have never ran into one from DLS or any other high school program. I have however seen how well coached both CCM and DLS are. To minimize their success by saying they recruit or cheat is taking a shot at the team program etc. Now that doesn't mean that I'm blind to the fact it does happen. But to best of my knowledge neither program has been busted doing anything shady in terms of player contact.(recruiting) It always seems to be the teams trying to take the easy way that get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. If your well coached, win, have good academics, players and parents are going to want to be there. Simple build it they will come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT