ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching changes

I heard the Deer Valley job is back open. I don't know if Hubbard is out or just has to reapply. I'm pretty sure he was hired as an interim.

I heard the Deer Valley job is back open. I don't know if Hubbard is out or just has to reapply. I'm pretty sure he was hired as an interim.
I sure would hate to see Hubbard leave Deer Valley, I watched him pump new life into the football team at the Jr. college in Pittsburg when DLS,Liberty Clayton Valley,Heritage and one other team scrimmaged....It was like the kids had been reborn....

Zack McNally replaces Zuber at Logan, old Hayward/Dublin OC who's been out of coaching in at Castro Valley. Piner, Palo Alto, Gunn, San Lorenzo & Arroyo jobs are open.

Las Lomas has turned into a bad job, think about it.... Open enrollment district with Campo, Miramonte, Acalanes. Close to De La Salle and Berean Christian. Clayton Valley Charter taking a few and to cap it off Northgate is trying to get charter status too. No wonder they could hardly field a JV team

Wow McNally at Logan. Wonder if they go to the De La Salle style offense.

rumor has it that Castro Valley and San Lorenzo has chosen new coaches. Alameda High is open. Arroyo is open too I think.

So what are the chances Deer Valley hires back Hubbard? After the Pittsburg incident I don't think the school board would approve him. How desirable is this job now? When Woods had Deer Valley humming a few years ago I could see someone coming in and taking that program to the next level. It looked as though Deer Valley has taken a few steps back in the last two years. They went from being a below .500 before Woods, to a yearly Play-off team with Woods, to a team with no hope the last two years. Two years in a row of having Head Coaches Suspended doesn't do a program any good.

I believe both the Las Lomas and Acalanes Head Coach positions remain open. For Las Lomas, the obvious choice is to bring back Doug Longero. The current administration at Las Lomas is, at best, luke-warm toward the football program (soccer and swimming rule the day at Las Lomas) but Coach Longero could turn things around. Not sure what to make of the Acalanes situation. Acalanes is baseball heavy which appears to drain some of the talent away from football.

I believe both the Las Lomas and Acalanes Head Coach positions remain open. For Las Lomas, the obvious choice is to bring back Doug Longero. The current administration at Las Lomas is, at best, luke-warm toward the football program (soccer and swimming rule the day at Las Lomas) but Coach Longero could turn things around. Not sure what to make of the Acalanes situation. Acalanes is baseball heavy which appears to drain some of the talent away from football.
Longero was approached about returning but the admin was still not going to give him the support he was asking for before he left (weight class, etc.). A DFAL coach this weekend told me the Acalanes DC was being to be named LL head coach but there has been no official word or any other kind of confirmation.

Casa Grande (CA): Casa Grande HS in Petaluma CA, has hired Les Richardson as the offensive coordinator and John Antonio as the Defensive Coordinator on Trent Herzog’s staff. Richardson is the former head coach at Santa Rosa HS (CA) and coordinator at Rancho Cotate (CA), and Antonio is the former head coach at Piner HS (CA).

http://www.footballscoop.com/high-school-scoop

You stand correct, mshNASTY...Las Lomas hired Mikhail Ress-Nathans from Acalanes. I wish coach Ress-Nathans the best of luck and hope he can turn things around at LL given how poorly the current administration supports the football program. The kids and coaches deserve better.

Reactions: mshNASTY
Do tell guys! Love the NCS buzz that is going on. First new playoffs and now coaching change rumors?

I've heard that Sweeney may step down again, but a trifecta would really shake things up.

Longtime EBAL Head Coach Dave Kravitz would certainly be welcomed back by the coaching fraternity. NCS titles on his resume and huge cred amongst all. After a long tenure at SRV, he was "Passing OC' at Cal for a single year (2010,) their second time at the Coliseum, where he won a D2 title a few years before with SRV. In a profoundly nearsighted move, he was not invited back by Cal after that single year. Since then, an Assistant Principal at DoVal. In typical DK fashion (he knows how to BUILD bridges) he stated he needed a break, and maybe it's time to jump back in. ANY EBAL school, check that, ALL high schools would scoop him up without question as their Head Coach. He's good friends with Bergman at MV (co-coached the 2011 Holiday Classic All-Star game which beat Sacto All-Stars and Alberghini.) Maybe that's in the mix. His son is with him at DoVal, and he was a member of the 2007 Grizz, the first Cal High D1 finalists against dLS.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Longtime EBAL Head Coach Dave Kravitz would certainly be welcomed back by the coaching fraternity. NCS titles on his resume and huge cred amongst all. After a long tenure at SRV, he was "Passing OC' at Cal for a single year (2010,) their second time at the Coliseum, where he won a D2 title a few years before with SRV. In a profoundly nearsighted move, he was not invited back by Cal after that single year. Since then, an Assistant Principal at DoVal. In typical DK fashion (he knows how to BUILD bridges) he stated he needed a break, and maybe it's time to jump back in. ANY EBAL school, check that, ALL high schools would scoop him up without question as their Head Coach. He's good friends with Bergman at MV (co-coached the 2011 Holiday Classic All-Star game which beat Sacto All-Stars and Alberghini.) Maybe that's in the mix. His son is with him at DoVal, and he was a member of the 2007 Grizz, the first Cal High D1 finalists against dLS.

Kravitz as head coach might be just what the Dougherty program needs now that they are in EBAL. I've heard rumors there may be coaching shakeups in the near future at SRV. Anyone else hearing that?

Tisa (paid his dues at Cal first under Sanchez) at DoVal has done a decent job there based on the fact their demographic shies away from FB. Their hoops team this year has been stellar. Unless Tisa steps down, which would be unexpected, I doubt DK as the AP at that school would lobby for the position.

Las Lomas is the 4th in the Acalanes school district and yes they have open enrollment
Las Lomas had a tough time in the 2015 season, but one thing to consider is the location of Las Lomas...They are like Livermore High, in the older part of town and although they are a spin off of Acalanes many years ago, up to the 2015 season, the Knights have almost always been able field a winning team and just because they had a down year, they have what looks to be a pretty tough Freshmen team moving up, so things are not what they seem to be.

I heard from a solid source that Matt Sweeney will be returning as head coach for Foothill High School again this coming season.

Thanks for the clarification. There is a part of Lafeyette where the students have a choice, Acalanes or Campo, where some of Campo's better players, Petite and Romato lived.
But as I understand it, Las Lomas will not even accept Intra-District transfers where as Campo, Miramonte and Acalanes will. Las Lomas and Northgate split Walnut Creek with Northgate serving the more suburban half (and larger enrollment). Rossmoor atrophied the Las Lomas side of WC to a large degree.

But as I understand it, Las Lomas will not even accept Intra-District transfers where as Campo, Miramonte and Acalanes will. Las Lomas and Northgate split Walnut Creek with Northgate serving the more suburban half (and larger enrollment). Rossmoor atrophied the Las Lomas side of WC to a large degree.
Years ago, Del Valle was spun off Las Lomas and Acalanes, but that didn't last and Del Valle disappeared....They did field a few good teams while they were around....

Maybe so but Rossmoor's shuffle board squads and bingo teams still dominate the area...hands down

Reactions: mshNASTY
So inter district transfers are pretty easy at Campo and Miramonte? Is this why those schools are able to field solid teams more often than not?

I debated about whether or not to mention something this serious in a forum but after realizing what a legend he is and the fact that he announced his health issue to his team, I figure it's probably common knowledge by now. Foothill coach Matt Sweeney will be battling what he described to his team as "treatable" throat cancer. I heard about this a week ago and being a believer in the power of prayer, I think others that believe the way I do deserve to know so they can join me. Sweeney is a local legend and highly respected by most that are familiar with him. Thinking positive thoughts for you, Coach Sweeney.

I debated about whether or not to mention something this serious in a forum but after realizing what a legend he is and the fact that he announced his health issue to his team, I figure it's probably common knowledge by now. Foothill coach Matt Sweeney will be battling what he described to his team as "treatable" throat cancer. I heard about this a week ago and being a believer in the power of prayer, I think others that believe the way I do deserve to know so they can join me. Sweeney is a local legend and highly respected by most that are familiar with him. Thinking positive thoughts for you, Coach Sweeney.
I've known the man well for over 25 years and wish him a speedy recovery. If all goes well there's a chance he's back coaching softball this season and Foothill'ers are very optimistic about his return to football as well.

Reactions: A4shizl and Paloma
So inter district transfers are pretty easy at Campo and Miramonte? Is this why those schools are able to field solid teams more often than not?
All 4 Acalanes High School District Schools accept intra-district transfers and are quite common. What are far less common are the inter-district transfers.

Orinda (Miramonte) rarely gets any football playing intra-district transfers from Moraga (Campolindo), and vice versa. What is more common are intra-district transfers between Moraga and Lafayette (Acalanes). Moraga is the smallest of the three Lamorinda communities and pick-up about 1/3 of Lafayette as their normal enrollment boundary.

Rossmoor does not contain any high school students (unless they are over 55!), so they have no effect on Las Lomas.

Rossmoor does not contain any high school students (unless they are over 55!), so they have no effect on Las Lomas.

My bad.......whenever I heard the phrase "Rossmoor Seniors" I just assumed it had something to do with the graduating class. And I have always heard that the Rossmoor Cougars are very spirited at the other Acalanes Union HS's boys' sporting events...........

Call me directed and now corrected.

After 30 years at the helm Rick Sira stepped down as the HC at Amador Valley 2 weeks ago. The posting for the job closed as of 5 minutes ago on edjoin. I'd assume Offensive Coordinator, alumni and former D3 national champion QB at Wisconsin Whitewater, Danny Jones, will be the next Dons HC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT