ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Moves - 2017

Steve Zenk was named head coach of Salinas HS. He was an assistant on the team and former head coach of North Salinas HS and assistant at Hollister (San Benito HS). He's a former Palma player and may have been an assistant there as well. He takes over what should be one of Salinas HS's more talented teams in years. They will compete with Palma (may be down this year but will have some young talent) for the MBL Gab title. Aptos (new to the league) and Hollister should be in the mix as well.

Anybody hear anything about the jobs at American, Kennedy or Moreau? I saw on Twitter that "2 of the longest current tenured MVAL football coaches are no longer there." That would seem to indicate some combination of Bret Casey, Dave Damewood and/or Andrew Cotter.

Thanks to MaoliFighter finding this:

https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/coaching-carousel-rule-changes.15849/

we now know that both Casey and Damewood are out, which means that aside from Cotter at Moreau, no coach will have been there for more than 2 years. WTF is going on in Fremont?!?

Thanks to MaoliFighter finding this:

https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/coaching-carousel-rule-changes.15849/

we now know that both Casey and Damewood are out, which means that aside from Cotter at Moreau, no coach will have been there for more than 2 years. WTF is going on in Fremont?!?

The corrosion of high school fb coaching in our area. A few years ago I think I was somewhat shocked that there was 12 head coach jobs open in the East Bay alone. When I think 10 years ago it was very seldom coaches left. Jobs weren't always open. It's just become a really non appealing job. Parents to admin it just doesn't seem worth it.
Look what Casey Taylor went through @ DO winning section & state championships.

The corrosion of high school fb coaching in our area. A few years ago I think I was somewhat shocked that there was 12 head coach jobs open in the East Bay alone. When I think 10 years ago it was very seldom coaches left. Jobs weren't always open. It's just become a really non appealing job. Parents to admin it just doesn't seem worth it.

I "liked" your post because of the pure truth included. They pay these guys practically nothing but scrutinize their every move to the inth degree.

Speaking of coaching my nephew Scott Goldston is the new Defensive Coordinator over at Heritage High in Brentwood. Heritage doesn't match up well physically, so look for guys flying around in a fun to watch scheme, much like the way Scott played the game himself. Scott was the Linebackers Coach last season. Please wish Scott well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncscalfootball

+1. The hours and dedication involved is not very feasible. Then to put up with much more than just football. Helicopter parents, non supportive admin etc, makes for a terrible environment. The days of 30 year coaches are a thing of the past and will be the rare exception.

+1. The hours and dedication involved is not very feasible. Then to put up with much more than just football. Helicopter parents, non supportive admin etc, makes for a terrible environment. The days of 30 year coaches are a thing of the past and will be the rare exception.

Hertzog from Casa Grande getting let go says it all. Correct me if I'm wrong I understand he was let go for a better option? Better option for 4k a year? Lol
I'm not saying he'said a great Coach, seems average but doing a good job giving up all his time making it to the play offs. If he's not doing anything inappropriate I don't see why any school would fire a guy basically agreeing to slave labor.

Hertzog from Casa Grande getting let go says it all. Correct me if I'm wrong I understand he was let go for a better option? Better option for 4k a year? Lol
I'm not saying he'said a great Coach, seems average but doing a good job giving up all

Not let go for a better option, in fact no replacement was in place. There were some things that came to light that the admin had issue with that were not on field related. Brunk (Santa Rosa) will be named HC as early as today.

Reactions: ncscalfootball
Coaching moves per the MaxPreps coaching newsletter.

Coaches News

New - Elk Grove's Chris Nixon has resigned
New - Donnie Wallace stepped down as coach at Modesto. Bret Wagoner is the new coach.
After 34 years, Norm Ryan is out as coach at Casa Roble
Malcom Floyd is the new head coach at McClatchy
Del Oro's football job is now open.
Sierra high has hired Chris Johnson as head football coach. Johnson was at Ripon in 2015.
Justin Llorente named head coach at Mesa Verde
Former Del Oro coach, Casey Taylor, is now the head coach at Capital Christian.
Dan Carmazzi of Christian Brothers is retiring
Matt Costa of Kennedy has left the program to take over at Pleasant Grove
Florin is looking for a coach
Johnson is looking for a coach
Coach Joe Volek is stepping down at El Dorado. Position will open up in February.

Coaches Wanted

New -Mira Loma needs Varsity RB's coach (stipend depending on experience)
JV Defensive Coordinator (stipend depending on experience)
Assitant Varsity and JV coaches
Varsity O-Line Coach (stipend depending on experience)

Ripon Christian WR/DB/RB –Looking to add 1 possibly 2 qualified coaches.Possible stipend for qualified candidate(s) Contact Coach Ozenbaugh trey@thecalfranch.com. Please provide coaching experience or resume.

Antelope is looking for a varsity LB or DL coach. There will be a stipend attached. If there is anyone that is interested please give Coach Ray a call. 530-520-6245

Oakmont is looking for coaches at all levels.
Contact Coach Moore at tmoore@rjuhsd.us

Bella Vista High School is looking for a Head JV Coach.
Contact Steve Stephen at sstephen@sanjuan .edu

I'm not saying he'said a great Coach, seems average but doing a good job giving up all his time making it to the play offs. If he's not doing anything inappropriate I don't see why any school would fire a guy basically agreeing to slave labor.
Point made, slave labor for sure. What are stipends today, $3,000? Hours per week gotta be upwards of 30+ in-season? Even a 10 week season plus a couple more prior to first game puts it at $8/hour gross, probably $6 net. And surely it is less, better off at Starbucks, no parents and better pay!

Point made, slave labor for sure. What are stipends today, $3,000? Hours per week gotta be upwards of 30+ in-season? Even a 10 week season plus a couple more prior to first game puts it at $8/hour gross, probably $6 net. And surely it is less, better off at Starbucks, no parents and better pay!

You are referring to the "wealthy" head coach. What about the assistant coaches?

Reactions: slick58
High school coaches are very vulnerable. AD's & principals need to take notice and take measures to protect & back them. Things can really get ugly and out of hand quickly. Some schools place a higher priority on athletics than others. Those are usually the schools that back and protect their coaches. I am sure everyone has heard good & bad stories.

I heard Hamilton put in for the Windsor job?

Interesting. If true why not just return to Concord? Job was open. I assume he lives some where close to Concord being there so long. Windsor'so a drive but maybe he lives out there.

He probably got a taste of D1 life and how insecure the jobs are & he may have to go where the jobs are. Get up move with the HC's or opportunities.

HS coaching is thankless for sure. The coaches I saw in 17 seasons who were disciplined was a result of their own idiotic decisions.

Thankfully, most are decent to excellent role models.

The tweeners were the ones who favored some over others, made ridiculous game decisions or simply enjoyed the power of being "coach."
Tough to tell a kid it's not fair, but that's what they'll encounter in life... liars, cheaters and a lot good folks....guaranteed.

Any way you slice it, most all high school coaches and their assistants are doing our kids and the community a huge favor by doing what they do and setting the example they set.

Walters is a DO alum and has close ties with the Loomis community. I think rather than look at it as they couldn't find anything better, they prioritized the DNA of the program and keeping the program the way it is by handing it over to someone who played in the program and knows the community. Most of the current coaches are the same, many played in the program. It seems rather than bring in someone from the outside with different ideas, the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"......but to Maoli's point, the community should take a hard look at itself and their role in Taylor's opting to leave while on top. There were other high-profile candidates that wanted that job.

Reactions: DelOroFB_Dad
The North Bay has had some serious dancing around. Montgomery has put together an unbelievable staff! I hope they get some decent talent to work with!

Palma assistant coach (and line coach) Chris Dalman stepped down just to take a break from football according to John Devine Monterey Herald. Dalman a former 49er center and line coach at Stanford (during its rise) and Atlanta Falcons will be missed as a coach. It seems, he moved family to the Peninsula evidently to be closer to his son (recruited as a center) at Stanford and but will remain at Palma as an administrator. I had heard rumors a year ago there might be some coaching changes and this makes sense. Palma football program will miss him as a coach. I'm a little concerned about their line this coming season although they have a few working hard during the offseason that can change that, but Dalman did bring a zone blocking scheme he brought to Stanford to Palma and their lines have been pretty good since he was coaching them. Will be interesting to see who takes over.

Arroyo HS (San Lorenzo, CA): Arroyo HS is seeking to hire Varsity & JV assistants for its new staff under new head coach Kurt Bryan. Teaching positions are NOT available, but there are jobs open in the San Lorenzo Unified School District that you can apply for separately if needed. We have 2 assistants now, and Coaching Stipends will be paid to all assistants. Arroyo has over 1,800 students, is very diverse, and good talent coming through the system that has yet to hit the field. The new football stadium is excellent and the facilities are nice and expansive. We are hiring for the following positions: Varsity (Defensive Coord, OL, WR, DL, DB). JV (Head Coach & 1 Coord, WR, DL, LB, DB). Please email your resume, references and a brief bio to Head Football Coach, Kurt Bryan at: kabteamwork@aol.com. We start Spring Football practice on May 22nd, and we are going to build a fun and exciting new program!

http://footballscoop.com/high-school-scoop/

Palma assistant coach (and line coach) Chris Dalman stepped down just to take a break from football according to John Devine Monterey Herald. Dalman a former 49er center and line coach at Stanford (during its rise) and Atlanta Falcons will be missed as a coach. It seems, he moved family to the Peninsula evidently to be closer to his son (recruited as a center) at Stanford and but will remain at Palma as an administrator. I had heard rumors a year ago there might be some coaching changes and this makes sense. Palma football program will miss him as a coach. I'm a little concerned about their line this coming season although they have a few working hard during the offseason that can change that, but Dalman did bring a zone blocking scheme he brought to Stanford to Palma and their lines have been pretty good since he was coaching them. Will be interesting to see who takes over.

Interested to see what impact this has on Palma. Always saw Dalman has an ex pro who really got into the coaching side at the HS level. Some guys are on the sideline, but not always engaged.

Where will Chris Nixon formerly the Head Coach of Perennial Power House Elk Grove gonna Coach at next? Sacramento? How about Livermore?

Any have any onsite on the Napa job ? I heard that a Sacramento coach accepted job but then declined when he was told 0 coaches from Mott's staff were coming back

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT