ADVERTISEMENT

Cow Palace

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
With the annual SI vs. SHC hoops fest scheduled this week at the ancient Daly City barn, a question is worth asking: Has the Geneva Avenue facility, once regarded as the jewel of the West Coast (but no more), ever hosted prep basketball games in the past? In casual conversations with a variety of Bay Area basketball-wise geezers, the answer, so far, has been no. But that's not definitive. Anyone else out there who can shed some light on this matter? Thanks. And Happy New Year.

I’m sure the older folks will disagree with me, but I think Cow Palace is a horrible place to host a game. I don’t understand why the Warriors couldn’t have cut a deal with SI/SH or maybe shared Chase Center and added some other local rivalry games: Lincoln/Mission, maybe add Stuart Hall/University and then maybe even add one game where like Prolific Prep can take on Wasatch Academy.

I just think Cow Palace is so old. It’s in a spot in the middle of nowhere. And I think Kezar would have been a better choice than the Palace

Reactions: Scott2138
This is way before my time, but didn't the Warriors also play at the Civic/Bill Graham Auditorium @ City Hall? That would have been a cool "old school" venue , much more intimate and easier access than the Cow Palace.

Exactly. Cow Palace is so gigantic. You could have 5,000 people there and it would still seem small!

I’m also wondering what kind of court they are going to use, since the Palace hasn’t hosted a basketball game in quite awhile I believe. Maybe some Globetrotter events and an exhibition or two!

Exactly. Cow Palace is so gigantic. You could have 5,000 people there and it would still seem small!

I’m also wondering what kind of court they are going to use, since the Palace hasn’t hosted a basketball game in quite awhile I believe. Maybe some Globetrotter events and an exhibition or two!

I’m sure the older folks will disagree with me, but I think Cow Palace is a horrible place to host a game. I don’t understand why the Warriors couldn’t have cut a deal with SI/SH or maybe shared Chase Center and added some other local rivalry games: Lincoln/Mission, maybe add Stuart Hall/University and then maybe even add one game where like Prolific Prep can take on Wasatch Academy.

I just think Cow Palace is so old. It’s in a spot in the middle of nowhere. And I think Kezar would have been a better choice than the Palace

Kezar has a very limited capacity now due to seismic issues and it's actually older and in worse shape than the Cow Palace. As for the new Chase Center, the issue is cost, pure and simple. USF's arena could be back on the agenda once its renovation/expansion program is complete.

This is way before my time, but didn't the Warriors also play at the Civic/Bill Graham Auditorium @ City Hall? That would have been a cool "old school" venue , much more intimate and easier access than the Cow Palace.

Too small. Capacity is limited, perhaps 4,500 for something like hoops. This week's traditional affair might draw in the 6,000-7,000 range, if not more.

On a side note, way back at the dawn of the WCAL, its first commissioner, Ed Fennelly, said he was seriously considering using the Cow Palace as a venue for the league's post-season playoffs instead of USF. Why? Capacity. Fennelly speculated that those games could attract 10,000 per night. The move never happened.

The floor is installed. It features the USF logo at center court.

Do we know how the renovation of Kezar Stadium was financed? Specifically, did the 49ers chip in to do a majority of the renovations? The Warriors have a boat load of cash. They should do something to help renovate Kezar Pavilion. It’s the right thing to do.

Do we know how the renovation of Kezar Stadium was financed? Specifically, did the 49ers chip in to do a majority of the renovations? The Warriors have a boat load of cash. They should do something to help renovate Kezar Pavilion. It’s the right thing to do.

That's a great public relations idea for the New Year. Nice notion.

Always felt if kezar was torn down it would be a great off campus arena for USF why any money is being spent on renovating that crap of a gym they play in now is absurd to bad the city and usf donors could not come together on a nice 6,000 seat arena at kezar.

Always felt if kezar was torn down it would be a great off campus arena for USF why any money is being spent on renovating that crap of a gym they play in now is absurd to bad the city and usf donors could not come together on a nice 6,000 seat arena at kezar.
If there's money to be made, I can see the Warriors ponying up the funds with the City to build a Kezar Chase Center-lite type of venue for local high schools and including CCSF, Academy of Art, etc.

If there's money to be made, I can see the Warriors ponying up the funds with the City to build a Kezar Chase Center-lite type of venue for local high schools and including CCSF, Academy of Art, etc.

Did they do that for the Oakland high schools? Laney?

Ayalar, I am one old guy (64), who remembers seeing Jason Kidd play at that old barn... Been so long, I don’t remember for sure if it was Cal or St Joe’s... Can’t remember anything about the game partly cuz in order to be high enough, I had to be, like 600 feet from the court... Game was wayyyyyyyyyyyy over therrrrrrrrrrre!

they did cut a deal.. the schools were not willing to pay. how about you start a go fund me page to get them to chase.

Ayalar, I am one old guy (64), who remembers seeing Jason Kidd play at that old barn... Been so long, I don’t remember for sure if it was Cal or St Joe’s... Can’t remember anything about the game partly cuz in order to be high enough, I had to be, like 600 feet from the court... Game was wayyyyyyyyyyyy over therrrrrrrrrrre!

It was Cal.

I've suggested ideas like that over and over again.
CCSF has a big, new gym, so they'll use that.
The Warriors could donate a day at Chase and use it as a tax write-off.

Last edited:
Warriors will not be donating anything as no wealthy person like Lacob is going to enjoy paying the luxury tax for losing season. Even he doesnt show his face at games because this year has been just a disaster. Must be karma for the time his wife/gf offended Beyonce.

Give credit to the SF Giants for having Pac Bell available for the BM baseball game and for the AAA championship. The price to rent must be "reasonable" unlike Chase Center.

I am older and yes disagree with you. Cow Palace is great alternative for this game until Chase Center comes to their senses. BTW, there has been no high school game played at Cow Palace. After 1970 WCAL semi and championship game, there was talk of moving the semis the next year to Cow Palace, but never came to fuition. Parking not an issue and easy egress. Will be fun, as most people of this generation have little experience in watching sporting events at Cow Palace (unless you attended aSF Bulls hockey game). I am sure it will be just a matter of time before Chase starts hosting this (and other games). But for better or worst, the SH/SI rivalry game (1st game) has proven to be an "event game".

Last edited:
Yes, they did play some games at Civic Center, and I do agree with you that it would have been a nice alternative. It may be that Civic Center has not maintained the original flooring, where the Cow Palace still had in its possession the floor used by USF for Cable Car Classic.

I hear the removal of the entrapped asbestos alone would make the remodel too expensive.

As for Kezar renovation, the City has no choice but to renovate it. If they took no action, the land reverts to the Kezar family, who has for many years floated they want to develop it for Real Estate. This is the agreement between the family and the City.

Did they do that for the Oakland high schools? Laney?
TheGS Warriors did convert their Oakland practice facility — which consists of two-and-a-half NBA-sized basketball courts and a warren of offices — into a community and health center and would house a series of Oakland nonprofits. The space will also continue to be used for Warriors youth basketball camps.

As for Kezar renovation, the City has no choice but to renovate it. If they took no action, the land reverts to the Kezar family, who has for many years floated they want to develop it for Real Estate. This is the agreement between the family and the City.

Awesome intel!

I suspect the city would need to do some due diligence as in is it worth it. Unlike Stadium which has multipurpose use with soccer leagues, football games, and the public uses the track, Pavilion has no other use than a number of high school basketball games that doesnt draw huge crowds. Hard to justify pouring in tax money into that with all the other problems the city has.

Hoping a billionaire in the city just for the hell of it cuts a check to do the renovation.

TheGS Warriors did convert their Oakland practice facility — which consists of two-and-a-half NBA-sized basketball courts and a warren of offices — into a community and health center and would house a series of Oakland nonprofits. The space will also continue to be used for Warriors youth basketball camps.
that is not going to help the schools and laney. that was the question.

I'm dating myself here( in my defense I was REALLY young, around 5 years old) but I saw my first NBA game at the Cow Palace. SF Warriors vs, get this, the Baltimore Bullets. Earl "the Pearl" Monroe, Jack Marin, don't remember if Wes Unseld was there yet. Warriors, I think, had Nate Thurmond, and I can't even the think of anyone else. At the time I think the old Oakland Oaks of the ABA or the California Golden Seals we're playing at the Coliseum Arena in Oakland. Rick Barry might have played for the Oaks at that time

why do people want to play at chase so bad? there would be way to many empty seats. the court is too big and the shooting backdrop is not that good for a high school kid who isnt used to playing in a gym that large. you would lose money in the rental fees and it wouldnt be a good look. the state title games should be held at smaller venues too.

why do people want to play at chase so bad? there would be way to many empty seats. the court is too big and the shooting backdrop is not that good for a high school kid who isnt used to playing in a gym that large. you would lose money in the rental fees and it wouldnt be a good look. the state title games should be held at smaller venues too.
Agree, but it's the shiny new toy of basketball venues. IMO, it would be a great PR move to allow the CIF and local sections and leagues to use the facility for free. The Warriors ain't hurting for money

I thought CAL (haas) was one of the best venues for state I can recall. It’s perfect size. Parking is another story

Reactions: Scott2138 and remc
All the more reason to raze and replace Kezar. The replacement would be a good sized facility and parking could be solved with six more decks of parking at the existing lot.

Cant agree more, no one is sitting in the upper levels at NBA arenas for these games. Its a cool way to watch many games on Friday/Saturday. I couldnt stomach the girls/boys/girls/boys back and forth. I did it for a few years and I just found it boring watching the girls games while waiting for the boys games. Thank goodness its March Madness and can watch tournament games on the phone during the girls games.

it really hurts teams that press all game when you play on a larger court. there is more space and the turnovers dont happen as often because defenders have more room to cover. i played in nba arenas several times as a high schooler and it just wasnt the same.

Cant agree more, no one is sitting in the upper levels at NBA arenas for these games. Its a cool way to watch many games on Friday/Saturday. I couldnt stomach the girls/boys/girls/boys back and forth. I did it for a few years and I just found it boring watching the girls games while waiting for the boys games. Thank goodness its March Madness and can watch tournament games on the phone during the girls games.
even worse for girls playing on the huge court.

even worse for girls playing on the huge court.

Not to mention the games are pretty much give the ball to your best player and run ISO and get out of the way. Very few actual drawn out plays are run. The turnovers are increased for sure and its a hard watch.

Anyone expecting the Warriors to do something for the community by building a small arena is out of their fricking minds. In fact, the Warriors have made it clear by what they asked SI and SHC for that they have no interest whatsoever in the local high schools. Screw 'em.

The fool suggesting that the Cow Palace is out of the way is on another planet. For G-d's sakes, it's easier to get there than just about any facility anywhere other than the Oakland Arena.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT