ADVERTISEMENT

Cow Palace

San Francisco is NOT going to replace Kezar. At some point, they will knock it down, but the city that can't keep it's streets free of feces is not building an arena where Kezar currently sits. No way, no how.

Reactions: Scott2138
FYI, the only reason Bruce Mahoney is not returning to Cal is both schools felt (correctly) that it was too far away from their students and alums. The price was right at $22,000 total.

The rent at the Cow Palace is $10,000, but the fees to set up the court and salaries for employees up the total cost to $65,000.

it really hurts teams that press all game when you play on a larger court. there is more space and the turnovers dont happen as often because defenders have more room to cover. i played in nba arenas several times as a high schooler and it just wasnt the same.

Actually on the contrary teams that handle pressure we’ll end up carving up pressing teams that overplay and are use to playing what is often poor defense on their jr high size court. It’s not as big of a deal anymore for most of these kids. They’ve almost all played on pro style hoops and temp floors now. Not so much 20 years ago.

Actually on the contrary teams that handle pressure we’ll end up carving up pressing teams that overplay and are use to playing what is often poor defense on their jr high size court. It’s not as big of a deal anymore for most of these kids. They’ve almost all played on pro style hoops and temp floors now. Not so much 20 years ago.
I said the exact same thing. Just in the reverse.

Always felt if kezar was torn down it would be a great off campus arena for USF why any money is being spent on renovating that crap of a gym they play in now is absurd to bad the city and usf donors could not come together on a nice 6,000 seat arena at kezar.
Kezar might be a San Francisco Historical Landmark and cannot be torn down. However the existing structure can have degrees of renovations. That land is so valuable. I feel renovating the existing building will suit well and the awesome history will visibly live on. I had one memorable game there in ‘92’ against Bishop O’Dowd. A nail-biter BO 79- Mission 78. Lol - Gut the inside much like Oracle Area did in the 93-94 year when the Warriors played in San Jose.

FYI, the only reason Bruce Mahoney is not returning to Cal is both schools felt (correctly) that it was too far away from their students and alums. The price was right at $22,000 total.

The rent at the Cow Palace is $10,000, but the fees to set up the court and salaries for employees up the total cost to $65,000.
Cal is just a BART ride and a walk.

The atmosphere for tomorrow's game is not going to be the same if it were in a smaller venue. USF was the perfect size....just enough for the student body and parents to fill the entire arena and make the place rock like a D1 college game. I think it's going to feel empty in the cow palace....just too huge, unless they sell out the whole place..crosses fingers.

Throwing out another idea...host the game at the respective schools. Alternate every year, or the previous years winner hosts. Both gyms are huge if they lower all the bleachers. Would be a great prep experience for all attendees, imagine SI and SHC playing at SH and the crowd on opposing sides of the gym...place would be going crazy that the priests at St. Mary's cathedral would be calling in a noise complaint. Plus brings in revenue without spending money.

Since we're on the topic...who has the edge this year for both varsity games? Seems like both SI and SHC teams are young, small but play hard. No idea what the girl teams look like.

Last edited:
The atmosphere for tomorrow's game is not going to be the same if it were in a smaller venue. USF was the perfect size....just enough for the student body and parents to fill the entire arena and make the place rock like a D1 college game. I think it's going to feel empty in the cow palace....just too huge, unless they sell out the whole place..crosses fingers.

Throwing out another idea...host the game at the respective schools. Alternate every year, or the previous years winner hosts. Both gyms are huge if they lower all the bleachers. Would be a great prep experience for all attendees, plus brings in revenue without spending money.

Since we're on the topic...who has the edge this year for both varsity games? Seems like both SI and SHC teams are young, small but play hard. No idea what the girl teams look like.

Both boys teams are young and very quick. Expect alot of turnovers and edge will go to whichever team comes out hot shooting from downtown and then holding on at the end. This wouldve been a good year for both schools to just put the wallets away and just do the games at each others venues. There really is no need to show off how much money the schools have especially since the real show this year plays at the Crusader Forum.

Both boys teams are young and very quick. Expect alot of turnovers and edge will go to whichever team comes out hot shooting from downtown and then holding on at the end. This wouldve been a good year for both schools to just put the wallets away and just do the games at each others venues. There really is no need to show off how much money the schools have especially since the real show this year plays at the Crusader Forum.

Exactly with using their own facilities.

As a Crusader alumni, I'll def be checking out a couple games at the forum. Hopefully the crowd and energy this year was like Fontana and Jaha Wilson days. The crowd and energy were lacking in the games I've attended the last few years.

All the more reason to raze and replace Kezar. The replacement would be a good sized facility and parking could be solved with six more decks of parking at the existing lot.

The only problem with any renovation of Kezar and the City has faced this problem for almost 50 years, NIMBYS. (NOT IN MY BACKYARD SYNDROME). The neighbors do not want a parking garage to ruin their views of the park and they do not want any large capacity events at the venues. They have bren trying for years to get SI and SHC to not play the Bruce football game there because of the trash and volume of people this game attracts yearly.

Awesome intel!

I suspect the city would need to do some due diligence as in is it worth it. Unlike Stadium which has multipurpose use with soccer leagues, football games, and the public uses the track, Pavilion has no other use than a number of high school basketball games that doesnt draw huge crowds. Hard to justify pouring in tax money into that with all the other problems the city has.

Hoping a billionaire in the city just for the hell of it cuts a check to do the renovation.

The pavilion does get used quite more than you think. It has been a venue for boxing, MMA, and Roller Derby in the last few years

I thought CAL (haas) was one of the best venues for state I can recall. It’s perfect size. Parking is another story

Hell yes on Hass! It was great for the States, the last time they had it there. They even let you bring in anything you wanted to eat or drink. In and out privileges also.
As for Parking, It was Cal's school session break. No school, Garage was empty. Even had street parking. Best venue of all time.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Last edited:
I think Santa Clara’s gym is nicer than Cal and Stanford’s.

All 3 would be better options than Cow Palace

Both schools wanted game played as close to San Francisco as possible. The Cow Palace is LITERALLY a few feet from The City. If you don't understand that, you don't get the culture of St. Ignatius and Sacred Heart Cathedral. PERIOD.

The Cow Palace is a cool venue. And its big enough. And its bart and bus ride from downtown and a bus r8de from St. Ignatius. Good parking and spacious. They need to hold CCS there....

Who ever said use Chase Center. is crazy. Its too big. the Cow Palace is big. But its ok for this event. The event needs to be in SF [although the cow palace is technically in Daly City]

No need to go to go to Cal. Santa Clara. If not USF. The Cow Palace is just fine.

If the Warriors weren't whores, the games would have been played at Chase. The amount they wanted was INSANE. Meanwhile, the Giants charge -0- for the Bruce Mahoney baseball game.

I'm not a Giants fan....not even a little bit, but they are very good to the community. Meanwhile the Warriors couldn't care less. Both teams own their facility, but one and only one wants to be a part of the community.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Both schools wanted game played as close to San Francisco as possible. The Cow Palace is LITERALLY a few feet from The City. If you don't understand that, you don't get the culture of St. Ignatius and Sacred Heart Cathedral. PERIOD.

Well the parking lot is actually San Francisco but the physical building itself is Daly City so yeah it was technically in the City still. And where are you going to have a venue where you can accommodate the parking pretty easily for the big crowds. Chase NO WAY, USF hell no, and any other venue even at the schools as mentioned earlier, parking would be a hassle.

If the Warriors weren't whores, the games would have been played at Chase. The amount they wanted was INSANE. Meanwhile, the Giants charge -0- for the Bruce Mahoney baseball game.

I'm jogging my memory of sports owners, Lacob, for example and his face and this is just personal but the guy looks like tying his shoes is an overrated experience. The only guy right now I'd actually think is cool is Steve Ballmer. He looks like you can just be right next to him and just have a good laugh instead of how dare you speak to me you poor person lol.

SF wants to renovate Kezar...they have done initial planning and set aside design funding per their website. Looks like it will be on the next bond next year. I’m sure it’s 6-8 years out, but that would bring the game back home. You can say it won’t happen, but Park bonds in this City pass so I’d bet it does.

Parking...no way. That is a non-starter. SF is a transit first, er Uber first City.

https://sfrecpark.org/wp-content/uploads/PROSAC-7.10.2018-Draft-Presentation-070918.pdf

I'm not a Giants fan....not even a little bit, but they are very good to the community. Meanwhile the Warriors couldn't care less. Both teams own their facility, but one and only one wants to be a part of the community.
Dodgers? A's?

The important part is they won! IC, I think you just have to look at how much they were ahead. They took the pedal off so much that they almost lost there way... I think the Irish will shock a few teams again embracing the "whole team concept" this year, and I think every team they beat will be in this score range or less.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
San Francisco is NOT going to replace Kezar. At some point, they will knock it down, but the city that can't keep it's streets free of feces is not building an arena where Kezar currently sits. No way, no how.

Turtle my company just put a brand new boiler system in Kezar. They do not plan to tear it down. However the safety of both upper decks has become a issue and has been for quite a few years. One of the best basketball environments is when I was at SH and the balconies were packed, the bottom was packed, and the aisles were standing room.

Ironically I also went to the last SH SI football game in the old Kezar and pretty crazy to have two student sections, a few alum and parents on that gigantic stadium.

The important part is they won! IC, I think you just have to look at how much they were ahead. They took the pedal off so much that they almost lost there way... I think the Irish will shock a few teams again embracing the "whole team concept" this year, and I think every team they beat will be in this score range or less.

Coach MacKay had a team like this when he was at San Leandro. No true big man, but like 5-7 swiss army knife guards. You cant really scheme defensively to stop 1 or 2 guys because all the players were pretty much the same. that 6'0-6'2, any can bring the ball up and initiate offense, any can shoot the 3, any can finish at the rim, any can press and the way they beat you is speed and getting into transition. Spears' 35 was impressive in that they were it seemed like all layups.

That Wilhite freshman from SI is going to be a problem. When he matures and commits less turnovers, that SI team he's on is going to be tough to beat.

Coach MacKay had a team like this when he was at San Leandro. No true big man, but like 5-7 swiss army knife guards. You cant really scheme defensively to stop 1 or 2 guys because all the players were pretty much the same. that 6'0-6'2, any can bring the ball up and initiate offense, any can shoot the 3, any can finish at the rim, any can press and the way they beat you is speed and getting into transition. Spears' 35 was impressive in that they were it seemed like all layups.

That Wilhite freshman from SI is going to be a problem. When he matures and commits less turnovers, that SI team he's on is going to be tough to beat.

Well, definitely talented dude for sure... but that guy will be guarded by Ray John and the IRISH Jv's look ok too. So hopefully not as impactful as SI would hope. Who knows, SHC may also get some impactful freshman next year too to mitigate some of that. One thing for sure is Mackay still hasn't had "his guys" really other than currently Spears who looks like they will play all four years.

Well, definitely talented dude for sure... but that guy will be guarded by Ray John and the IRISH Jv's look ok too. So hopefully not as impactful as SI would hope. Who knows, SHC may also get some impactful freshman next year too to mitigate some of that. One thing for sure is Mackay still hasn't had "his guys" really other than currently Spears who looks like they will play all four years.

I dont hold my breath anymore in hoping kids stay all 4 years at one place. There are too many factors that lead kids to hop to wherever they feel is the best for them/their parents.

Reactions: colhenrylives
I dont hold my breath anymore in hoping kids stay all 4 years at one place. There are too many factors that lead kids to hop to wherever they feel is the best for them/their parents.

Well, then even that freshman from SI could go somewhere else then...anything can happen.

Turtle my company just put a brand new boiler system in Kezar. They do not plan to tear it down. However the safety of both upper decks has become a issue and has been for quite a few years. One of the best basketball environments is when I was at SH and the balconies were packed, the bottom was packed, and the aisles were standing room.

Ironically I also went to the last SH SI football game in the old Kezar and pretty crazy to have two student sections, a few alum and parents on that gigantic stadium.

I love games at Kezar, but it is not adequate in its current state and as you know, it gets hotter than hell when it's over 60 degrees outside.

SF wants to renovate Kezar...they have done initial planning and set aside design funding per their website. Looks like it will be on the next bond next year. I’m sure it’s 6-8 years out, but that would bring the game back home. You can say it won’t happen, but Park bonds in this City pass so I’d bet it does.

Parking...no way. That is a non-starter. SF is a transit first, er Uber first City.

https://sfrecpark.org/wp-content/uploads/PROSAC-7.10.2018-Draft-Presentation-070918.pdf

Cranky29er, the Park and Rec Bond that was scheduled for 2019 did not occur and it is not on the March 2020 ballot. Will it be on the November 2020 ballot? My understanding is that a modernization would not keep much seating.

Mayor Breed made an announcement in November that prioritized a Mental Health bond. A Chron article inNovember pointed out that it would likely delay the Park bond..so this is a ways out and a big ticket facility for sure.

Prioritizing the mental health care bond would likely delay a planned $255 million parks bond now scheduled for November 2020, though the Capital Planning Committee and other officials will hash out the final schedule in the coming months.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT