ADVERTISEMENT

Crown the Champions

They're all "pick 'em" games in my book... Teams that have gotten this far are clearly playing the best they've played all year...

But if ya held a gun to my dome and said "Pick the games or ya gets it!",

Um...

Open: Sheldon
D1: Branson will frustrate the bleep outa the bouncy guys from Union City, keep the pace where they want it.
D2: Campo cuz they're my team, baby!!
D3: University is battle-tested, very well coached, but I know zero about Monterey... Never seen 'em play ever. I'll go with the known quantity here.
D4: Immanuel typically tough, well-coached though I haven't seen 'em this season... never even HEARD of Wood before... Once again going with the known quantity.
D5: Dinuba strictly based on SoS ratings... Never seen either team, any year.

Last edited:
They're all "pick 'em" games in my book... Teams that have gotten this far are clearly playing the best they've played all year...

But if ya held a gun to my dome and said "Pick the games or ya gets it!",

Um...

Open: Sheldon
D1: Branson will frustrate the bleep outa the bouncy guys from Hayward, keep the pace where they want it.
D2: Campo cuz they're my team, baby!!
D3: University is battle-tested, very well coached, but I know zero about Monterey... Never seen 'em play ever. I'll go with the known quantity here.
D4: Immanuel typically tough, well-coached though I haven't seen 'em this season... never even HEARD of Wood before... Once again going with the known quantity.
D5: Dinuba strictly based on SoS ratings... Never seen either team, any year.

I remember Wood from Gridley. Same coach. They impressed me then. They could supprise.
Here's wishing you great hoops

I dig the public vs private thing going on in open, d1, and d2.

I'll take Sheldon in the open. Too much firepower. How does that operation run over there? Asking for a friend....

Give me Branson in D1 because they beat redwood 3 times. I'll be rooting for James Logan however, they are fun to watch.

Sorry Mr. Kiddman, but I'm going upsetcitydotcom with the Padres.

I'll pass on d3, thanks.

Hard pass on d4 as well.

D'numba is my squad. You'll find me down in the valley again tomorrow night. If anyone needs a ride let me know! :)

-donnie carpool lane

Open - Modesto Christian over Sheldon....Revenge Game and MC is one of the few teams that can go toe-to-toe with Sheldon. In the Final Game, I think regardless who wins, MC or Sheldon they will be absolutely crushed by a Sierra Canyon team that has only lost 3x this season twice to Montverde!

D1 - Branson over James Logan....Love Logan, but there is an old saying: "DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS." You'd be hard pressed to find a defense as strong as Branson's, and I see a low scoring game with Branson coming out on top. Gives us a matchup of Eitwanda vs. Branson, where I feel Branson will be overmatched and lose giving Socal win No. 2.

D2 - Campolindo over Serra...Homecourt will play a factor in this one. Two great teams, and while Serra is hot, Campo is going to be determined to defend home-court. This game will probably be the closest of the bunch.

D3 - University over Monterey and they’ll beat whoever comes out of socal to win D3 states. this one hurts to write.

Open: Sheldon vs Modesto Christian- absolutely loaded including several players that returning from its State Runner Up team from last season. The addition of Bagley proves the edge over a talented Modesto Christian team.

DI: James Logan vs Branson- Tough pick against the #1 and #2 seeds, but Logan has improved as the season progressed and its post season run against some rather tough opposition has been incredible. Branson certainly has the coaching, discipline and defense along with its man-child at the post position to take down the Colts. Homecourt advantage and intangibles are the difference.

D2: Campolindo vs Serra- I've seen both teams and 2 things stand out, Campo's win at Modesto Christian w/o Ahazie and Serra's double digit loss to Menlo-Atherton in the CCS Open on a neutral court. If the game was at the Jungle - Serra! But Campo's home court and much more balanced and talented roster can match the Padres. Both teams play very good defense. Kiddman, I am away on business travel, so look forward to your updates! Lol!

D3: University vs Monterey - this game could be a barn-burner as Monterey returns all of its starters from last season's CCS DIII runner-up team. They have a chip on their shoulder as they want to erase that stinging loss to Riordan. University appears the more deep squad as Monterey's starters are the only real contributors. Also, big fan of Uni's Coach Randy.

D4: Immanuel vs Wood - only reason I give Immanuel the nod is they beat Mission SF- a very well-coached squad.

D5: Dinuba vs Mt. Shasta - How can a school with a cool name like Dinuba lose?!?

Good luck to all the teams! All well deserved to be playing tomorrow night!

Reactions: cougarqb10
Open - Sheldon. They know each other well having played 2 weeks ago and I think the Huskies are deeper.
D1 - If Logan can't speed them up I think Logans random traps and ahtleticism will prevail. + I want Coach Easley to get some respect. 1st team to 50 wins
D2 - Campo if Ahazie is 80%. If McDonald is aggressive - Serra has a chance
D3 - University. Bessolo has earned it. But Monterey has the athletes.
D4 & D5 no clue.

Reactions: frencheezy
Open - Modesto Christian over Sheldon....Revenge Game and MC is one of the few teams that can go toe-to-toe with Sheldon. In the Final Game, I think regardless who wins, MC or Sheldon they will be absolutely crushed by a Sierra Canyon team that has only lost 3x this season twice to Montverde!
Sorry SJM isn’t in the convo. But SHELDON beat Bishop Montgomery - Who beat Rancho Christian who beat Sierra Canyon. So on any given night!!!!!
First things first though SHELDON needs to beat MC.

Open: Sheldon vs Modesto Christian - want to pick MC but Sheldon has too much talent and it would be fun to watch a rematch of last year's Open - lot of D1 talent on display at Golden-1.

DI: James Logan vs Branson - James Logan's lack of discipline might catch up with them and ultimately be the difference versus a fundamentally sound well coached Branson squad.

D2: Campolindo vs Serra - I think that Serra size / physicality will be too much for Campo with Ahazie limited (my WCAL bias). I heard that Serra is bringing their student section over so it should be good n loud tonight in the gym. Make sure you arrive early as it'll most likely be a packed gym.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Sheldon by double digits, and rather easy...Bagley didn't play previously, adding the Sac POY to a ridiculously deep team will be difference.

Open: Sheldon vs Modesto Christian- absolutely loaded including several players that returning from its State Runner Up team from last season. The addition of Bagley proves the edge over a talented Modesto Christian team.

DI: James Logan vs Branson- Tough pick against the #1 and #2 seeds, but Logan has improved as the season progressed and its post season run against some rather tough opposition has been incredible. Branson certainly has the coaching, discipline and defense along with its man-child at the post position to take down the Colts. Homecourt advantage and intangibles are the difference.

D2: Campolindo vs Serra- I've seen both teams and 2 things stand out, Campo's win at Modesto Christian w/o Ahazie and Serra's double digit loss to Menlo-Atherton in the CCS Open on a neutral court. If the game was at the Jungle - Serra! But Campo's home court and much more balanced and talented roster can match the Padres. Both teams play very good defense. Kiddman, I am away on business travel, so look forward to your updates! Lol!

D3: University vs Monterey - this game could be a barn-burner as Monterey returns all of its starters from last season's CCS DIII runner-up team. They have a chip on their shoulder as they want to erase that stinging loss to Riordan. University appears the more deep squad as Monterey's starters are the only real contributors. Also, big fan of Uni's Coach Randy.

D4: Immanuel vs Wood - only reason I give Immanuel the nod is they beat Mission SF- a very well-coached squad.

D5: Dinuba vs Mt. Shasta - How can a school with a cool name like Dinuba lose?!?

Good luck to all the teams! All well deserved to be playing tomorrow night!

Very good Jordan. Well done. Nailed all of them except D5, where Shasta blasted Dinuba.

Reactions: jordan24
We've come this far in waiting for Logan's lack of coaching and discipline to finally catch up to them.

The whole roster better get D1 scholarships, how are they compensating for Logan's lack of coaching/discipline? I mean, all they've run is pick and rolls with the Thompson cousins taking turns shooting.

That was sarcasm just in case. Branson did everything they could in terms of slowing down the pace and making it a defensive battle. It was 19-19 at halftime

We've come this far in waiting for Logan's lack of coaching and discipline to finally catch up to them.

The whole roster better get D1 scholarships, how are they compensating for Logan's lack of coaching/discipline? I mean, all they've run is pick and rolls with the Thompson cousins taking turns shooting.

That was sarcasm just in case. Branson did everything they could in terms of slowing down the pace and making it a defensive battle. It was 19-19 at halftime
I was going to say it's good to see that lack of coaching and undisciplined team beat the best coach in the area with the most discipline team around.
Good accomplishment...good luck at state.

I happen to be at the Logan game. And those kids play so hard. They are resilient. I don’t know if I’ve seen a team this year play as hard or as aggressive as they do. A little undisciplined at times. But they have big time play makers. Steadman really stood out. He had a great game. Good luck to them. Bring the championship back to Northen California.

@LoganHomer congrats to your alma mater

I'm not mad, despite what my screenname suggests. I'm a fan of quality basketball, and I'm a fan of people telling the truth on here. When Larry says Newman would give Branson fits, I say dude is out of his mind because I've seen both teams play. When someone says one of the top ranked teams in the area I haven't seen will beat Branson, I don't have anything to say, I would probably agree with it.

But for those of you who were there, if we're celebrating the coaching and discipline of Logan, are we saying that the talent level between the teams is the same? Or maybe are we saying one team or the other had a bad game? Because the score and flow of the game implies the teams were evenly matched. The reason I like Branson is because of how historically overmatched they are in games like this and their ability to keep it close or win, which I and others credit Honick with.

I wasn't there, I have no opinions about Logan, just that UCLA beating Princeton is the expected outcome, there is nothing good to see or refreshing about that. It is good to see your team or your guys win, that's it.

Reactions: Renard Monroe

Logan gonna call themselves 'TEAM ZIP EM UP'...cuz thats what they doing to all the doubters.

You can legitimately criticize Logan's lack of discipline and blame it on coaching. Sure. But don't get tunnel vision. Coaching is not only about Xs and Os and Coach Easely has those guys playing as hard or harder than any team I have seen all year, and I have seen a lot of HS basketball live and on film. So if you want to take him out for lack of discipline, make sure you don't overlook how hard he has his kids playing.

The reason I like Branson is because of how historically overmatched they are in games like this and their ability to keep it close or win, which I and others credit Honick with.

What does this mean? The talent between the teams is similar. Neither team has anyone signed with a division 1 program. Logan is not UCLA and Branson is not Princeton. Branson was not overmatched yesterday.

Black coaches (and to a lesser degree black players) routinely are discredited on this message board no matter what the results are.

thanks for your opinion. Sorry you think my post had anything to do with race.
Writing can lead to some misunderstanding. Text messages, etc... we have all read some curious statements on here or maybe even posted some. We are all not going to agree all the time. The one thing that must happen is that we all respect one another. As far as Branson, we all know where the school is located and what the student population is made up of. That's the way the cards have been dealt. So sometimes statements lead to the thinking that. Race is a touchy issue, always have been and probably always will be. What I do know is , Branson had a good team, a good coach and a good season. James Logan as well and their coach and team deserves some love for putting together a great season. I have the honor of knowing both coaches and have coached kids from both teams. Both coaches are good men that have accomplished a lot leading their programs. Great game the other night....Good Luck to James Logan representing Nor Cal at the State Championships .

I'll cop to questioning the Logan staff this year. I thought the staff shakeup would cause a step back and it hasn't. To beat Folsom, O'Dowd and Branson in five days is outstanding. Coach Easley has done a great job at making sure his stars get their share while also creating balance. And few teams are as relentless in their style of play as Logan.

I also was questioning what the heck Logan was doing, esp. back in December at Gridley, when they were trailing in the 7th-place against the hosts and demonstrating attitude problems. Coach sat his starters the entire 2nd quarter and made 'em stew on the bench while the backups got the team back to a 1-point lead at the half. Starters went back in after the break and began to do what they should have done from the get-go... Logan won by 30.

They sure turned things around thru the season, but it started there...

I also was questioning what the heck Logan was doing, esp. back in December at Gridley, when they were trailing in the 7th-place against the hosts and demonstrating attitude problems. Coach sat his starters the entire 2nd quarter and made 'em stew on the bench while the backups got the team back to a 1-point lead at the half. Starters went back in after the break and began to do what they should have done from the get-go... Logan won by 30.

They sure turned things around thru the season, but it started there...

Yes Kiddman, It is like I said in an eariler post. Gridley showed Coach Easley where they were at, and where they needed to get to. See you in the Cheap seats:)

Here's wishing you great hoops

What does this mean? The talent between the teams is similar. Neither team has anyone signed with a division 1 program. Logan is not UCLA and Branson is not Princeton. Branson was not overmatched yesterday.

Black coaches (and to a lesser degree black players) routinely are discredited on this message board no matter what the results are.
i aint saying i agree.... however i havent been here long and I have heard the praises being sung about Dublin, Newark M, Monte Vista, Albany coaches like they were Pat Riley.... and said if they had Logan's team they would be Kentucky.... while poor ole Easley has zero ability or control of a team... Well said coaches gonna be paying to watch like the rest yall on here...

Reactions: nostancenochance
Mr. Monroe, we agree again. When you write a post or send an email or text, it is impossible to know what the writer was thinking. If I am talking to you on the phone or if we are meeting face to face, I can see the expression on your face and hear the tone of your voice. The exact same words in print may not convey the same meaning or could mean different things to different people.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
i aint saying i agree.... however i havent been here long and I have heard the praises being sung about Dublin, Newark M, Monte Vista, Albany coaches like they were Pat Riley.... and said if they had Logan's team they would be Kentucky.... while poor ole Easley has zero ability or control of a team... Well said coaches gonna be paying to watch like the rest yall on here...
These ARE true words and facts!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT