ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle-St. John's

Terrible or not that's HS football today. I'm glad California has decided to change the transfer rules and stop penalizing kids, for wanting to better their situation. (Of course NCS and Lemmon I have heard won't follow the change.)

......and there will always be those who will attempt an end run around the rules, just human nature. Case in point, company rules:
NO FACIAL HAIR allowed in the work place:

http://i.imgur.com/BK0WNPn.jpg

Full blown neck hair

Reactions: 1315 and observer22
Honestly one of the all time great DLS wins. They were overmatched but conditioning and sticking to what DLS does has them on top at the end. Really never should have doubted it right? Its DLS for god sake. Don't talk to me about recruiting and all this other stuff. That St Johns team was a lot more talented. It was getting really old hearing about where johnny was going or had offers from. Plenty of those DLS kids look like guys I grew up with. Skinny awkward kids that weren't 6"0 260 as fresh. Fantastic win.

Doesn't De La Salle have at least two mega recruits? One is going to USC. Probably not skinny or awkward.

St. Johns has around 5-8 players with D1 offers.....
I was just going to say that. I believe the point Larry was trying to make is that DLS has a few D1 guys and a bunch of regular dudes. And they tear it up. Many of the teams they are playing are much more talented but lack the heart and desire of the DLS boys.

At least that's I think he's trying to say! Lol

Exactly.. I think St John's had more than 5-8 guys with D1 offers. Seemed like everybody who started was going to play somewhere at the next level. Look at the QB difference alone. DLS has college kids mixed in with regular HS kids. (they have several big time recruits in that college group) Most of these big time privates and academies are full blown D1 factories now. You start and you are playing college football. Hell there are probably kids coming off the bench with offers.

I was just going to say that. I believe the point Larry was trying to make is that DLS has a few D1 guys and a bunch of regular dudes. And they tear it up. Many of the teams they are playing are much more talented but lack the heart and desire of the DLS boys.

At least that's I think he's trying to say! Lol

DLS attracts elite athletes, especially for football. I don't buy that they are just average athletes.

DLS attracts elite athletes, especially for football. I don't buy that they are just average athletes.
It was meant to be a compliment to the program.

I watched the entire St John's game and I only saw a few elite level players on the DLS side. Lots on St John's side. But still DLS make a it happen. Kudos to them.

Reactions: concrete17

urrghh...!! Let's reinvent the wheel version 2000.0.

Of course the successful program attracts some elite athletes but the number of average athletes way outnumbers the elites. I challenge you to go to Freshman practice in August and point out all the newbies who will be elites by their senior year.
If you come anywhere near 50% spot on, call me for a brown bag full of dead presidents and a ticket to Mandalay Bay in Vegas to exercise your expertise to its fullest.

That would really easy for pretty much anyone on this board. Most people familiar with football could hit 75%.

I think DLS has a really good program and they a great job with development. But I also feel that they get most of the gifted athletes in the East Bay region, as well as some kids moving to the area to attend De La Salle. Not all their kids are huge, but even the smaller ones have unusual change of direction ability, etc. That's all I have to say regarding this topic.

Agreed. In my opinion, Pitt usually has the best athletes, they just lack discipline. And this also depends on what the boundaries are in your opinion of the East Bay

Typically the East Bay is considered Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. What other opinions of the boundaries are there?

That would really easy for pretty much anyone on this board. Most people familiar with football could hit 75%.

I think DLS has a really good program and they a great job with development. But I also feel that they get most of the gifted athletes in the East Bay region, as well as some kids moving to the area to attend De La Salle. Not all their kids are huge, but even the smaller ones have unusual change of direction ability, etc. That's all I have to say regarding this topic.
You obviously have never been to a dls freshman game, they do not look much different then the average sfl team. Jv often as well, they generally lose a few games every year only to beat the same team by 40 at the varsity level....

You obviously have never been to a dls freshman game, they do not look much different then the average sfl team. Jv often as well, they generally lose a few games every year only to beat the same team by 40 at the varsity level....

Frosh uses about 10-15 total plays with variations. Var uses up to 30 with different variations. Also, no lifting or track running on Frosh levels. It's a wakeup call once the Frosh go to JV and Var, especially the track running we do.

"I think DLS has a really good program and they a great job with development. But I also feel that they get most of the gifted athletes in the East Bay region, as well as some kids moving to the area to attend De La Salle. "

Take a look at the annual post season Best of the East Bay lists as well as the areas Blue, Red and White chip recruits. You will see a sprinkling of DLS guys on the lists but they do not dominate them at all.

They sure picked the right season to schedule BG. 0-2 and heading for 0-3. Has DLS ever lost to a team that was 0-2?

BG's 1-2. They have 2 quality losses.

Yup, to current #2 Mater Dei, and to current #7 Miami Central (Maxpreps Freeman rankings). Both losses were nailbiters, and their win was by 12 points over #12 DeMatha. These guys do *not* suck.

We all know the Spartans are made of barbed-wrie and railroad spikes, but this opponent just might be a bit too much, esp. at their place. Possibly for the first time ever, I have picked DLS' opponent in the pick 'em pool.

BG is clearly the favorite and should be... My guess would be about a one-TD fave if there was a line... Hmm, it's Vegas, maybe there IS one somewhere. :)

Yup, to current #2 Mater Dei, and to current #7 Miami Central (Maxpreps Freeman rankings). Both losses were nailbiters, and their win was by 12 points over #12 DeMatha. These guys do *not* suck.

We all know the Spartans are made of barbed-wrie and railroad spikes, but this opponent just might be a bit too much, esp. at their place. Possibly for the first time ever, I have picked DLS' opponent in the pick 'em pool.

BG is clearly the favorite and should be... My guess would be about a one-TD fave if there was a line... Hmm, it's Vegas, maybe there IS one somewhere. :)
Don't believe the MD game was a nail biter.MD was up 28-7 and easily could have been 35 but for a goal line fumble.BG cut it to 28-21 and MD immediately answered with a TD

Reactions: JoeMixon
They have 2 quality losses.

That just sounds wrong. I think DLS makes it 3 straight, I have watched two BG games this year and playing from behind is not a formula for success. DLS isn't a team that allows people back into games, they also are rarely taken out of games.

They sure picked the right season to schedule BG. 0-2 and heading for 0-3. Has DLS ever lost to a team that was 0-2?

BG is 1-2, having beaten top 10 Dematha before losing to #1 Mater Dei and top 10 Miami Central

Outside of last year, which would have been a total mismatch of BG's best team ever against a DLS team that's been called worst in 25 years, 2017 was the most advantage year for BG since these teams first game in 2010

2011 -- DLS wins
2012 -- DLS wins
2013 -- DLS wins
2014 -- Coin Flip
2015 -- DLS wins

Although this game now looks like a coin flip, it appeared to be a very likely BG win when scheduled

BG is 1-2, having beaten top 10 Dematha before losing to #1 Mater Dei and top 10 Miami Central

Outside of last year, which would have been a total mismatch of BG's best team ever against a DLS team that's been called worst in 25 years, 2017 was the most advantage year for BG since these teams first game in 2010

2011 -- DLS wins
2012 -- DLS wins
2013 -- DLS wins
2014 -- Coin Flip
2015 -- DLS wins

Although this game now looks like a coin flip, it appeared to be a very likely BG win when scheduled

Unless they actually play the game, trying to say who wins a hypothetical game is just a guess. At least they are finally playing this year. Should be a good game.

Unless they actually play the game, trying to say who wins a hypothetical game is just a guess. At least they are finally playing this year. Should be a good game.

......and one of the life forces that keep these boards alive. Otherwise we might have to surrender to and accompany our wives'/girlfriends'/significant others' endless shopping forays in search of that one 24 hour significant meaningful purchase.......and becoming fluent in Ikea-nese furniture parts.

God bless you St. Streak One for tending the fires of Prepdom sports conversations

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT