ADVERTISEMENT

Did CCS get some of the seedings wrong?

Hollister and Seaside were other teams that were awarded wins by forfeit from Santa Cruz. Hollister was technically 4-6 and Seaside was 7-3. The Cardinals forfeited 4 games this year overall.

Santa Cruz schedule with results

I still don't know what happened with Salinas/Wilcox, though.
Cal 14,

Thanks - I didn't know that Santa Cruz had originally scheduled Hollister. That makes sense. If you give Hollister a forefeet win over Santa Cruz they go to 44 points.

I heard from someone that Wilcox presented themselves with 64.5 points with a forfeit win over Kings Academy that gave then 3 points vs the 2,5 points for their loss to Edison of Huntington Beach. Wilcox won the tie breaker with Salians.

During the off-season the CCS should clarify forfeits and what happens if you schedule a replacement game if a forfeit occurs. If you use the same logic that Wilcox used Los Gatos could have declared a forfeit win over Live Oak instead of a loss to Grant and picked up an extra 1.5 points. Ironically Live Oak would have ended up with 1.17 more points with a forfeit or real loss to Los Gatos rather than have it counted as a non-game.

With that behind us on to the play-offs.

Cal 14,

Thanks - I didn't know that Santa Cruz had originally scheduled Hollister. That makes sense. If you give Hollister a forefeet win over Santa Cruz they go to 44 points.

I heard from someone that Wilcox presented themselves with 64.5 points with a forfeit win over Kings Academy that gave then 3 points vs the 2,5 points for their loss to Edison of Huntington Beach. Wilcox won the tie breaker with Salians.

During the off-season the CCS should clarify forfeits and what happens if you schedule a replacement game if a forfeit occurs. If you use the same logic that Wilcox used Los Gatos could have declared a forfeit win over Live Oak instead of a loss to Grant and picked up an extra 1.5 points. Ironically Live Oak would have ended up with 1.17 more points with a forfeit or real loss to Los Gatos rather than have it counted as a non-game.

Clarification on the working out of the formula from the CCS board of mangers would be helpful. When there are so many variables in a formula, more concrete rules need to be in place. That being said, I still think the CCS seeding process is one of the best of all CA sections and matches the spirit of the CA regional / state bowl seeding philosophy.

I reserve my opinion on the CCS (and NCS) Open / D1 structure.

This seems highly questionable. If you get the forfeit win, you can schedule another game, play it, then decide how to count your points? How can you not count a game you physically played? How would they have presented this if they did not want that half point?

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Cal 14,

The Booster is The Best. Period.

This seems highly questionable. If you get the forfeit win, you can schedule another game, play it, then decide how to count your points? How can you not count a game you physically played? How would they have presented this if they did not want that half point?
I would assume Wilcox made the argument that they were limited in their rescheduling options so they should not be punished for taking on a tougher opponet. If they were not at fault for the forfeit, I could see this being a valid argument. There was probably some good discussion on what to do in the meeting.

I think we will see some rules clarified/added for next year due to the forfeit impacts this year.

Reactions: gr8ball
I would assume Wilcox made the argument that they were limited in their rescheduling options so they should not be punished for taking on a tougher opponet. If they were not at fault for the forfeit, I could see this being a valid argument. There was probably some good discussion on what to do in the meeting.

I think we will see some rules clarified/added for next year due to the forfeit impacts this year.
If they took credit for the forfeit, then that's 11 games. If this is the case, they clearly cheated to get out of playing Serra.

At the blackjack table, getting dealt a king and a 9.

"Hit me!"

You get a 7.

"Sorry, you lost" says the dealer who later has to hold on an 18.

"Oh, but, I had a 19 before, so I win!"

If they took credit for the forfeit, then that's 11 games. If this is the case, they clearly cheated to get out of playing Serra.
I believe they took the forfeit win over the game they actually played, not both. Although Calpreps recorded the Edison game, which definitely helped their overall rating and those points as well.

Reactions: FBAddict and Cal 14
The Open Runner-up plays for D1 CCS title feels like WWE Money in the Bank Briefcase---ish. I actually like this alot because many seasons there's that one team whose season ended early and alot of folks have that "oh what might have been" feeling. This is good progress by CCS. Is something like this in place for basketball this season? I know for OPEN there is the round robin and if you are in OPEN you are automatically in NorCals.

The Open Runner-up plays for D1 CCS title feels like WWE Money in the Bank Briefcase---ish. I actually like this alot because many seasons there's that one team whose season ended early and alot of folks have that "oh what might have been" feeling. This is good progress by CCS. Is something like this in place for basketball this season? I know for OPEN there is the round robin and if you are in OPEN you are automatically in NorCals.
For being a self proclaimed guru,…NOT;lol

#NoMentionOf:KingsOfKezar, #BeatDownFridayNightLights

I believe they took the forfeit win over the game they actually played, not both. Although Calpreps recorded the Edison game, which definitely helped their overall rating and those points as well.
The Southern Section uses Calpreps for seeding and that site included the data from the Wilcox-Edison game... so a CIF entity did not consider the game to be a scrimmage.

The CCS website describes a scrimmage as a contest where no downs or score are kept, which definitely would not apply to the game, either.

Another controversy from the old De Anza group of teams.

Cal 14,

One last word on this, Wilcox reported their record as 7-3 for the brackets. Losses to Valley Christian, Edison, and Los Gatos. To me, that strongly suggests they knew what they were doing. I hope the CCS really looks into this.

This shows that the section needs some sort of system of cross-checks, if it doesn't already exist (does not appear so).

Either way, time to tighten the chinstrap and get after it.

Good luck to all teams (except Serra, Wilcox, and Archbishop Mitty).

• Haha
Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Please, Let’s hope not!!!…. It is Bad enough we have this Rediculous format in the NCS and CCS….

The SJS is the best and most Compelling playoff Bracket in Nor Cal, let’s hope they don’t start this nonsense…. It’s bad enough that the SJS took away the Open play in by Introducing the Folsom rule…. 🤣
I agree, mostly? VOL has playoff teams in D1, D2,D3 and D4. My only REAL compliant is Central Catholic is in D1 and St Mary's is D2. In my opinion CC is a solid D2 team. Not D1!

I agree, mostly? VOL has playoff teams in D1, D2,D3 and D4. My only REAL compliant is Central Catholic is in D1 and St Mary's is D2. In my opinion CC is a solid D2 team. Not D1!
Including Open,… 2-3 WCAL,…I think It ends discussion Of Best In NorCal

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT