ADVERTISEMENT

Did CCS get some of the seedings wrong?

The NCS and CCS should combine for the playoffs. Have a 4-team Open (let’s say Serra, DLS, SRV and either Pitt or St. Francis (I’m just playing “what-ifs” here). Those eliminated fall into enrollment-based divisions (Riordan/Valley Christian/Cardinal Newman/Windsor/Campolindo go D3, SI/Amador/Acalanes/Mitty/Marin Catholic go D2 and Los Gatos/Wilcox/El Cerrito/Monte Vista/Liberty go D1….(I don’t know enrollments, I’m just thinking out loud). The playoffs would be so much more entertaining and meaningful. There’s a way to do it, but smarter minds than I could figure it out. 3 12-team divisions after the open and then 2 16-team “D4 and D5” playoffs to qualify for bowl games. This would allow 68-70 teams to the playoffs and be so much better. We’ve got to get away from the “we were the best of the worst teams” mentality.

Edit: And this should include the Oakland and SF sections. This should have been done 40 years ago.
Give us one reason why the CCS and NCS would even remotely consider this.

The CCS and NCS have nearly diametrically opposing philosophies on how the playoffs should be structured.

Marin Catholic in a joint D-2? MC doesn't even go D-2 in the current NCS playoffs.

Blowouts are going to happen. It still happens. Last year outside of DI there were only 7 games that were decided by 8 points or less accross 4 divisions. Thats 3/4 of the games being decided by 2 scores or more. Thats not very competitive. Teams with losing records are still winning CCS championships. How does the current format eliminate blowouts?

I preferred something similar to the 3 open divisions based on enrollment format they had a few years ago. Doesn't have to be this exact format but something comparable. Put all A league teams in the Opens. Have set divisions be for B/C leagues with an option to opt into the opens. Those divisions be eliminated from state contention. Sure we run into the problem of sending runner ups to state but a runner up in an open division is more worthy than the 33rd place team.

They could put different enrollment provisions on privates. Something like 1500+ you are DI, 750+ DII, 750 of less DIII. I'm not sure there will ever be a solution to the private vs public debate. If I am an A league 1000 enrollment public school, I shouldn't be afraid of a private with less than 500 kids. This is a rough rant. I am not going to go too much into the logistics because my opinion doesnt matter. I think a format with league classifications and enrollment is best though.

I agree there will never be a format that makes everyone happy. I appreciate CCS wilingness to adjust and try new formats, but the constant changes opens them up even more to be criticized. It will be a never ending cycle of them attempting to please people.
You have a very curious (or perhaps just rationalized) definition of what a blowout is. 8 points is your threshold? Seriously? If you want to see what real blowouts look like, take a look at the NCS playoffs.

Man, I know you've been around here for a while. Do you not remember any of the previous versions of the CCS playoffs and why it doesn't use those anymore?

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Give us one reason why the CCS and NCS would even remotely consider this.

The CCS and NCS have nearly diametrically opposing philosophies on how the playoffs should be structured.

Marin Catholic in a joint D-2? MC doesn't even go D-2 in the current NCS playoffs.
Ok, here’s your reason: Because it would be much better for the players, coaches and fans. I didn’t say this “would” happen…I said it “should happen”.

Football, especially as a high school sport, is getting more unique (and top-heavy) every year. With demographic changes and shifts many schools from 40-50 years ago are either extinct, don’t play football or cannot compete with any modicum of success (Terra Linda, Saratoga, Monta Vista, Mountain View (closed…name transferred), Mission San Jose, Redwood, Hayward, just to name a few) and even more recent “powers” are possibly going down a slippery slope (Terra Nova, Palo Alto, Foothill, Logan, Oak Grove, Skyline). The privates have ascended (DLS, Serra, Sacred Heart Prep, Marin Catholic, Palma, Valley Christian), but not nearly at a rate of the public’s “falling”.

It’s time for the entire state to truly re-think the whole purpose of the playoffs. We’ve recently seen huge shifts in leagues and playoff formats…under the guise of competitive equity…now it’s time for the state as a whole to figure out a new plan (with no more than 6-8 divisions and similar qualifying components across the state….no more of this “hiding teams in lower brackets to have more success in state-level games).

Maybe long-time respected coaches like Ernie Cooper, Lad, Matt Sweeney, Bill Blankenship, Mark Krail, Earl Hansen and a few others could spearhead a committee to get this figured out.

Reactions: bronzeage
For Kings Academy I have the following. 7.5 Schedule points having played 7 A teams, 1 B team (Rio Honda Prep who could move up to an A team next week and give them and extra 0.5 pts) and a C team (Lowell). IF they win they will get 12 points for their 6 wins. They get 1 point for playing Menlo a division champion and they get 1.52 points as they only played nine games. So 7.5+12+1+1.52 = 22.02 CCS points. Then you do the stacked ranking of teams from 1-40 in the CCS play-offs from CalPreps Kings Academy gets 15 points = 37.02.

The way that most leagues calculate tiebreakers is as follows:

1. Head to Head
2. CCS Points
3. Some then go to to Calpreps, some go to coin flip, some go to who had the best league win

Kings only ends up in a tie breaker if they lose. so I have them 1-1 in head to head against Hillsdale and Palo Alto and the final CCS points would be Hillsdale 25.5 with a win over Aragon 24.5 if they lose; Palo Alto with 23 points and Kings Academy with 19.76 points which is why Kings Academy losses the tie breaker.

They would drop into the At-large pool and would probably add 10 or 11 Calprep points but likely be the 6th highest ranked at-large team with only the top 5 qualifying,

Thanks for the clarification! Very good work

You have a very curious (or perhaps just rationalized) definition of what a blowout is. 8 points is your threshold? Seriously? If you want to see what real blowouts look like, take a look at the NCS playoffs.

Man, I know you've been around here for a while. Do you not remember any of the previous versions of the CCS playoffs and why it doesn't use those anymore?
I was using 2 scores or more. Ya thats probably a little light haha It allowed me to cherry pick a few games. If we bump it to 17+ points (3 score game), you only pick up 4 more games. 11/28 games were decided by 17 or less. It might not be a complete destruction but its not a good game. Look at Palma vs Salinas the other week. 34-14 that game was never close. 13 games were decided by 21+. 1/4 of the games the losing team scored 9 points or less. These scores might not be the 50 point blowouts you see else where but they are not competitive games and there is a clear difference in talent on the field. The only division that is competitive is DI.

I'll be honest, I didn't follow football much from 2017-2021. Having 2 daughters playing high school and travel sports took up all my free sports time. I cant recall why they got rid of the 3 open division format. The games I saw in the 2015 and 2016 format resulted in some very good matchups. I would imagine the public vs private issue was there. Thats why I said adding some kind of provision to privates CBED could be good. I recall the issues with the single open format and the no open format plus the opting up issues.

Who should be cannon fodder in the play-offs? Should a 10 - 0 B league team with a chance for a dream season concluding with a CCS Championship be in D2 (or even D3) playing against top A league teams. Kids, coaches and parents living a dream and creating lifetime memories with a realistic chance to be the best B league team in CCS, only to have to play against an A league champion in the first round of the play-offs.

Or should an A league team with a losing record get to play in D4 or D5? Teams whose losing record was actually the result of playing against A league competition in nearly all their games. Mountain View's 6 losses were all to A league teams...5 of Burlingame's 6 losses were to A league teams (and their loss to a B league team has an 8 - 1 record), Santa Teresa lost to 4 A league teams and 1 B league team (in their first game of the year) and the only outlier being Leland who had 3 of their 7 losses to B league teams. Why should these teams end up in D4 and D5 with a better chance to in a CCS title than 10 and 0 Carmel?

Put all A league teams in D1, 2 or 3. B and C league teams in D4 or 5. Should a B league team want to play with the big boys (and a chance to go to a State game), let them opt up. Only winners/second place teams in D1, 2 or 3 have a chance to go to a State game. We've been here before and I can't remember why we moved away from this.

Give a good B league team a chance for a dream season and a CCS title. Don't make them cannon fodder.

Who should be cannon fodder in the play-offs? Should a 10 - 0 B league team with a chance for a dream season concluding with a CCS Championship be in D2 (or even D3) playing against top A league teams. Kids, coaches and parents living a dream and creating lifetime memories with a realistic chance to be the best B league team in CCS, only to have to play against an A league champion in the first round of the play-offs.

Or should an A league team with a losing record get to play in D4 or D5? Teams whose losing record was actually the result of playing against A league competition in nearly all their games. Mountain View's 6 losses were all to A league teams...5 of Burlingame's 6 losses were to A league teams (and their loss to a B league team has an 8 - 1 record), Santa Teresa lost to 4 A league teams and 1 B league team (in their first game of the year) and the only outlier being Leland who had 3 of their 7 losses to B league teams. Why should these teams end up in D4 and D5 with a better chance to in a CCS title than 10 and 0 Carmel?

Put all A league teams in D1, 2 or 3. B and C league teams in D4 or 5. Should a B league team want to play with the big boys (and a chance to go to a State game), let them opt up. Only winners/second place teams in D1, 2 or 3 have a chance to go to a State game. We've been here before and I can't remember why we moved away from this.

Give a good B league team a chance for a dream season and a CCS title. Don't make them cannon fodder.
That is the biggest challenge...What to do with A League type teams that finish 4-6 or 5-5...I think a larger B/C only bracket of 16 teams would be ideal, a 16 team A league bracket, and then an 8 team bracket with those schools that are playing a different sport than the rest of us. Less brackets would allow for putting similar schools together into one bracket, rather than spread out over four different brackets. This is how the NCAA does it for all sports, and I think could be a decent guide.

SSLG also has a good question...At this point in time, there appears to be little to no purpose to the CCS playoffs, other than just extra games. They do not determine much other than determining the best team in a group of 8 schools. The baseball structure is even more puzzling, with 48 teams spread out over 6 divisions.

Reactions: aztecpadre and sslg
If I recall, the reason the switch was that CCS could only advance winners of divisions forward. In the "old" system 2 runner-ups were advanced as well as the 3 champions, while the (division) IV and V champs just stayed home.

In 2016 a 10-0 Carmel team was placed in DV and ranked #1. Meanwhile Aptos was placed in DIV, but petitioned to move up to the open. Lowest rated open team was sent down, SHP. Enrollment put them in DV, power points #8 seed. 1st round loss (Lavorato owns Anderson) for an undefeated "dream" team. Meanwhile league runner up Soledad, whom Carmel beat, wins the DIV title.

My point is be carful what you wish for. There will always be caveats and exceptions that will not favor any one particular team. Current CCS system is better than most (in my opinion) , But if they are going to allow A team 4 auto qualifiers than they need to keep them out of DIV and DV, or at the least DV.

I still stand by my last reply. Play-offs should be structured to be competitive yet still give teams a chance to end up with a dream season. We place teams at the beginning of the season in an A, B or C league based on presumed competitive equity. In the play-offs we disregard league alignments and put a strong B league team in an all A team bracket. In my mind, requiring B league teams to compete with A league teams in the play-offs says that (1) play-offs are designed to reward teams for being in an A league and (2) are not designed with the kids in mind.

That is the biggest challenge...What to do with A League type teams that finish 4-6 or 5-5...I think a larger B/C only bracket of 16 teams would be ideal, a 16 team A league bracket, and then an 8 team bracket with those schools that are playing a different sport than the rest of us. Less brackets would allow for putting similar schools together into one bracket, rather than spread out over four different brackets. This is how the NCAA does it for all sports, and I think could be a decent guide.

The last I checked, for basketball, it's pretty common for "mid-major" conferences such as Ivy or Big South tend to get only 1 team into the NCAA tournament, while the ACC, Big 10, or SEC get 6-8.

SSLG also has a good question...At this point in time, there appears to be little to no purpose to the CCS playoffs, other than just extra games. They do not determine much other than determining the best team in a group of 8 schools. The baseball structure is even more puzzling, with 48 teams spread out over 6 divisions.
Divisions are meant to be structured as competitive levels. D-I is supposed to be superior to D-II, which is superior to D-III, etc. Not all sections view it this way as the top team in the SJS has occasionally come from D-II. The division winner is the top team in that competitive bracket, then gets to go on to compete at the state level in a similar competitive bracket.

Even in other styles of playoffs, the idea is always to have a level playing field, but those often fall very short.

In the SS, they had league-based divisions for a very long time. Well, that meant that teams in leagues that were put together more for geography or because they were simply from the same school district were forced in D-1. They're decent at baseball, so they should also be good for football, yeah? Long Beach Wilson was average even for the Moore League... so great! Let's make them play Mater Dei in the playoffs! That's fair, right?

In the NCS, enrollment is the main determination. Ok, then you've got Cardinal Newman and Marin Catholic beating the crap out of the small public schools pretty much every year in D-IV. That's fair, right?

There is not going to be a perfect system for everyone. Someone is always going to have to be an 8 seed somewhere in the CCS, but we don't entirely know that this domination from Serra is going to become another DLS situation. Everyone forgets that just two seasons ago, 8-seed Aptos was tied with #1 St. Francis after 3 quarters in their first-round game in D-I.

Every year, though, the crying we get is really about one program: Carmel. The "other" Padres feast on lower-level teams all season long, then their fans (and local sports writers) whine about not getting to do the same in the playoffs. Well, I'm sorry... a section of 94 teams isn't going to alter its structure just for one program. If they end up as the #1 seed in D-III, great! If they get moved up to D-II as the 8-seed? Them's the breaks. Next year, my alma mater Salinas will almost certainly be playing in D-I against the WCAL powerhouse teams, but you're not going to hear me crying about it. It's just how it goes in the CCS.

I still stand by my last reply. Play-offs should be structured to be competitive yet still give teams a chance to end up with a dream season. We place teams at the beginning of the season in an A, B or C league based on presumed competitive equity. In the play-offs we disregard league alignments and put a strong B league team in an all A team bracket. In my mind, requiring B league teams to compete with A league teams in the play-offs says that (1) play-offs are designed to reward teams for being in an A league and (2) are not designed with the kids in mind.
Perhaps a proposal that only B/C in D5 and no B/C plays above D4. That could do it.

Last edited:
The last I checked, for basketball, it's pretty common for "mid-major" conferences such as Ivy or Big South tend to get only 1 team into the NCAA tournament, while the ACC, Big 10, or SEC get 6-8.

Divisions are meant to be structured as competitive levels. D-I is supposed to be superior to D-II, which is superior to D-III, etc. Not all sections view it this way as the top team in the SJS has occasionally come from D-II. The division winner is the top team in that competitive bracket, then gets to go on to compete at the state level in a similar competitive bracket.

Even in other styles of playoffs, the idea is always to have a level playing field, but those often fall very short.

In the SS, they had league-based divisions for a very long time. Well, that meant that teams in leagues that were put together more for geography or because they were simply from the same school district were forced in D-1. They're decent at baseball, so they should also be good for football, yeah? Long Beach Wilson was average even for the Moore League... so great! Let's make them play Mater Dei in the playoffs! That's fair, right?

In the NCS, enrollment is the main determination. Ok, then you've got Cardinal Newman and Marin Catholic beating the crap out of the small public schools pretty much every year in D-IV. That's fair, right?

There is not going to be a perfect system for everyone. Someone is always going to have to be an 8 seed somewhere in the CCS, but we don't entirely know that this domination from Serra is going to become another DLS situation. Everyone forgets that just two seasons ago, 8-seed Aptos was tied with #1 St. Francis after 3 quarters in their first-round game in D-I.

Every year, though, the crying we get is really about one program: Carmel. The "other" Padres feast on lower-level teams all season long, then their fans (and local sports writers) whine about not getting to do the same in the playoffs. Well, I'm sorry... a section of 94 teams isn't going to alter its structure just for one program. If they end up as the #1 seed in D-III, great! If they get moved up to D-II as the 8-seed? Them's the breaks. Next year, my alma mater Salinas will almost certainly be playing in D-I against the WCAL powerhouse teams, but you're not going to hear me crying about it. It's just how it goes in the CCS.
We do talk about this issue every year and while Carmels perfect season is very nice, we do not need to rearrange playoffs for one team. Its been mentioned that 4-6 and 5-5 A teams should not make CCS yet many of those teams would probably beat a 10-0 Carmel in the first round. Isn't that the beef here? I think the system is fairly accurate. If you want a fighting chance a proposal that B/C designated teams are placed no higher than D4 AND A teams are place no lower than D4 could work. Carmel would play in D4 and yes would still have to beat an avg A league team but they wouldn't face a top tier A league team in D2.

Reactions: Cal 14
Every year, though, the crying we get is really about one program: Carmel. The "other" Padres feast on lower-level teams all season long, then their fans (and local sports writers) whine about not getting to do the same in the playoffs. Well, I'm sorry... a section of 94 teams isn't going to alter its structure just for one program. If they end up as the #1 seed in D-III, great! If they get moved up to D-II as the 8-seed?
There are reasons Carmel is the one program crying every year. First CCS gives a dominant advantage to A leagues. How else do teams with losing records make the play offs every year? If you are in an A league you get points like they are giving them away. And 4 auto qualifiers out of 6 or 7 team leagues? That’s like giving out participation trophies. And why is it Carmel that brings up play off equity “every” year? Because they are an 850 student public school that has an outstanding coaching staff and kids willing to commit to being their best. And they make the play offs something like 15 out of the last 20 years. Tell me the truth, do you think Salinas would be happy to be in D2 if you had a pool of just 425 boys to fill out your team from? Going into the playoffs knowing that the only reason you are in D2 is because of the structure of the playoff system and not because you had a realistic chance of winning 3 games against top tier large public schools or private school football factories.

Reactions: aztecpadre
There are reasons Carmel is the one program crying every year. First CCS gives a dominant advantage to A leagues. How else do teams with losing records make the play offs every year? If you are in an A league you get points like they are giving them away. And 4 auto qualifiers out of 6 or 7 team leagues? That’s like giving out participation trophies. And why is it Carmel that brings up play off equity “every” year? Because they are an 850 student public school that has an outstanding coaching staff and kids willing to commit to being their best. And they make the play offs something like 15 out of the last 20 years. Tell me the truth, do you think Salinas would be happy to be in D2 if you had a pool of just 425 boys to fill out your team from? Going into the playoffs knowing that the only reason you are in D2 is because of the structure of the playoff system and not because you had a realistic chance of winning 3 games against top tier large public schools or private school football factories.
Ok stop. Play real teams. 5-5 A teams would handle 10-0 carmel. You make playoffs 15/20 years; great. So go play A league teams and find out. And CCS should give the advantage to A league teams; its an equity based model meaning the best play the best. 10-0 B teams are not the best. Sorry not sorry. You all do not need to apply for CCS playoffs if you don't like it.

I don't know. Probably should have a B, C limit to division like D3 or D4. An undefeated Carmel should be able to compete in D3 this season (where Alisal is seeded) and if Carmel played a couple A league teams and lost maybe they drop down to D3 if they lost them and that would be fairer since the whole CCS playoffs is designed for equity. There will always be cases people aren't happy. Probably several years Palma would have been very competitive as state qualifier at lower enrollment divisions but they couldn't get through a WCAL team in playoffs. It is what it is. If they went to straight enrollment it probably wouldn't be any better for Carmel who would probably see some of the smaller privates.

Reactions: Cal 14 and FBAddict
You don't think Salinas belongs in D-I with the WCAL powers? They are the powerhouse team of Monterey County and they have one of the highest enrollments in the section. Take Serra out of the equation and who would you cry about them playing? They are winning the lottery avoiding DI.

I don't feel bad for Carmel being forced into DII because I think they are a very good football team. They can probably compete with the field. Monterey (who they beat last year), Soquel, Live Oak,etc. aren't that much bigger of schools than them. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to compete with private schools smaller than them. They have 2 of the best coaches in the area with Golden Anderson and Ralph Ward. They pump out talent pretty consistently. They are probably going to get bumped to Gab next year. Sure they lack size and depth but is the story any different for the other top programs in Monterey county other than Salinas? If they wanted to avoid DII they should do a better job scheduling to avoid it. Thats the loophole here. They probably shouldn't have scheduled an A league team that they knew they had a very good chance at beating.

Reactions: aztecpadre
I don't know. Probably should have a B, C limit to division like D3 or D4. An undefeated Carmel should be able to compete in D3 this season (where Alisal is seeded) and if Carmel played a couple A league teams and lost maybe they drop down to D3 if they lost them and that would be fairer since the whole CCS playoffs is designed for equity. There will always be cases people aren't happy. Probably several years Palma would have been very competitive as state qualifier at lower enrollment divisions but they couldn't get through a WCAL team in playoffs. It is what it is. If they went to straight enrollment it probably wouldn't be any better for Carmel who would probably see some of the smaller privates.
You have hit upon one solution - in an equity-based system, it makes lots of sense to schedule some tougher teams in preleague to help balance your own equity. When it is likely Carmel has a good shot at winning PCAL-MS league and get the auto bid, it will not hurt to lose some preleague games to temper the team for what they KNOW will be encountered in playoffs.

You have hit upon one solution - in an equity-based system, it makes lots of sense to schedule some tougher teams in preleague to help balance your own equity. When it is likely Carmel has a good shot at winning PCAL-MS league and get the auto bid, it will not hurt to lose some preleague games to temper the team for what they KNOW will be encountered in playoffs.
Works both ways, really. If you lose to the A teams, it drops you to a lower division. If you beat those teams, you should have confidence you can compete at a D-III level.

But, if you run from competition, there are only so many places to hide.

You don't think Salinas belongs in D-I with the WCAL powers? They are the powerhouse team of Monterey County and they have one of the highest enrollments in the section. Take Serra out of the equation and who would you cry about them playing? They are winning the lottery avoiding DI.

There are 3-4 public schools (Salinas, Los Gatos, Wilcox, and sometimes Menlo-Atherton) that can compete with the mid-level WCAL schools every year. But, the thing is that there will always only be about 2-3 slots for them in D-I in any given year. That means one of those publics will get pushed to D-II most of the time.

In year’s past, that has been Los Gatos or Wilcox. This year it could be Salinas (or it might not be based on this weekend’s events). But I don’t think the rest of the D-II field would get much of a break if they see Mitty instead. I think the Cowboys and Monarchs are pretty similar this year.

My honest opinion is that Wilcox and Salinas are really similar in level this year, but Los Gatos is a half-step above. I think the season has played out to show this is true. But, if the ‘Boys do end up facing Serra in D-I this year… it would be disappointing, but that’s just how it goes.

Next year could be better for the Cowboys, which is why I’m figuring they’ll probably be in D-I. But you’re not seeing me complain about it. If that’s where they are, that’s where they are.

Everyone knows the rules before the season starts. Coaches and ADs have to manage their programs and schedules the way they think will work best. Whining at the end does no good.

Tell us how you really feel about the "other" Padres?

Ok stop. Play real teams. 5-5 A teams would handle 10-0 carmel. You make playoffs 15/20 years; great. So go play A league teams and find out. And CCS should give the advantage to A league teams; its an equity based model meaning the best play the best. 10-0 B teams are not the best. Sorry not sorry. You all do not need to apply for CCS playoffs if you don't like it.
Yes, lets reward teams who are barely .500, and some who are below it, by putting them into the playoffs. And let's further reward them by not just putting them in the playoffs, but putting them into a lower division so that they can run ruffshed on lower tier teams. Haha. Sounds brilliant.

I don't feel bad for Carmel being forced into DII because I think they are a very good football team. They can probably compete with the field. Monterey (who they beat last year), Soquel, Live Oak,etc. aren't that much bigger of schools than them. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to compete with private schools smaller than them. They have 2 of the best coaches in the area with Golden Anderson and Ralph Ward. They pump out talent pretty consistently. They are probably going to get bumped to Gab next year. Sure they lack size and depth but is the story any different for the other top programs in Monterey county other than Salinas? If they wanted to avoid DII they should do a better job scheduling to avoid it. Thats the loophole here. They probably shouldn't have scheduled an A league team that they knew they had a very good chance at beating.
Agree with your post. Just wanted it stated that the players could really careless what division they play in. They're not afraid of playing. Wherever they get placed, they will be well prepared by the coaching staff and will compete as best they can. For 99.9% of them, this is it, as far as football goes, so to them any extra games outside of the regular season is bonus football.

Reactions: Cal 14
Yeah but Watsonville, Giloy and RLS pad Golden's win total.

Yeah but Watsonville, Giloy and RLS pad Golden's win total.
There are only a few bad apples in the cart of HS coaches but Golden Anderson is not one of them. He is a very good coach, raising a lot of youth to the next level of responsible adulthood. Our top-down fanhood view cannot take the place of excellent coaches who give their all for the betterment of these young adults. We give the armchair coach view. But the real coaches, like coach Anderson, know exactly what they are doing. They can certainly improve in the CCS environment but we can only give suggestions from the 50,000 ft level.

Most of the comments on this sub-topic are directed toward the educated fans that desperately want their chosen team to make their mark on the CCS playoff world if not the CIF State bowl world. The fans largely live in the fantasy world while the student athletes and coaches tangle with the real world of athletic competition.

Carmel did schedule an A team (Alvarez) and a C team (RLS) as traditionally advised. But Carmel chose carefully by getting a very weak A team according to the last several years of play and a middle of the road C team. A better schedule might include two middle of the road A teams and one good B team and one lower lever B team or higher level C team. This is assuming Carmel can maintain the very top of the B ceiling as they are doing this year.

Yes, lets reward teams who are barely .500, and some who are below it, by putting them into the playoffs. And let's further reward them by not just putting them in the playoffs, but putting them into a lower division so that they can run ruffshed on lower tier teams. Haha. Sounds brilliant.
B-league champions are candidates for promotion to A leagues. Some grab hold of that opportunity (see Monterey and Soquel), while others wilt. These 5-5 and 4-6 A teams are the ones against which they'll be expected to compete in subsequent years.

The playoffs are treacherous for everyone, not just B teams.

Ive seen Carmel in person and on tape enough to say they are legit. Well coached, disciplined, fast paced and machine like
Could they hang w WCAL week in and week out? Probably not but could hang w/ most of them
Most? Week after grueling week?

I suspect he meant in one-off games.

If not, then we may need to report the Carmel police department about "magic mushrooms" being sold at the Padre football game concessions.

It would take a really good Carmel team and a bad WCAL team for Carmel to even have a shot. I would be concerned for the players safety against half the WCAL.

I thought he was saying they could hang with most other teams outside of the WCAL.

With Friday's results in, the 40 team field for the CCS play-of is set. None of today's results will change who qualifies for the play-offs. The final results from today and some of the Calpreps adjustments that are made over the next 24 hours will alter the seeding and I will edit the seedings in this post as these changes come in and will highlight the places where changes are expected.

Open
8. Wilcox 7-3 64 (7) at 1. Serra 10-0 88.5 (1)
7. Salinas 7-3 64.5 (#1 in DII) at St. Francis 7-3 78.5 (2)

Salinas finally overtook Mitty in the cal prep rankings and gained a point while Mitty dropped a point. The big thing I am watching now is that Clayton Valley is currently ranked #100 in California. If they drop to 101 or lower Salinas will lose 0.5 points and drop tot eh 8 seed and Wilcox will go to the #7 seed. I gave Serra and St. Francis a league champion point for playing De La Salle. I am not sure if that is accurate, but if they lose that point it won't change the seedings. Remember the loser of the Open Play-off will be a finalist for the DI play-offs

D I

6. Valley Christian 6-4 69.5 (6) at 3. St. Ignatius 6-4 74 (3)
5. Los Gatos 8-2 72 (5) st 4. Riordan 7-3 72.5 (4)

Don't see any changes happening here and this is the same as last week. If San Ramon Valley is a league champion (instead of De La Salle) SI would gain an additional point but it won't make a difference in the seedings.

D II

8. Christopher 9-1 49.5 (7) at 1. Mitty 5-5 62.5 (#8 in DI)
5. Live Oak 9-0 58.33 (4) at 4. Menlo 9-1 58.5 (3)
6. Monterey 7-3 (6) at 3. Sacred Heart Prep 6-4 59 (5)
7. Carmel 10-0 51 (8) at 2. Soquel 7-2 60.5 (2)

SHP beat Menlo to change the seeding in DII. Menlo dropped from 3 to 4 SHP went from 5 to 3 and Live Oak went from 4 to 5. Live Oak beat Christopher and as a result I have Carmel and Chsitopehr switching their seeds at 7 and 8. Menlo gained a half point when American Canyon became an A league opponent instead of a B league when their Calprep rating increased which flipped who is home field with Live Oak. The Carmel result today against Pacific grove could alter the seeding.

D III

8. Hollister 3-6 40.33 (7) at 1. Menlo-Atherton 4-6 48.5 (1)
5. Palma 3-7 43.5 (5) at 4. Capuchino 9-1 45 (4)
6. Alisal 9-1 43 (6) at 3. Hillsdale 7-3 45.5 (2)
7. Aragon 8-2 41.5 98) at 2. Scotts Valley 9-1 45.5 (3)

I expect this 8 team field to stay intact but seeding will change before tomorrow as these Calprep rankings have not factored in Aragon's decisive win over Hillsdale in week 10. Aragon will go up and Hillsdale will go down. Not clear how much and how it will impact other teams in between.

D IV

8. Seaside 7-3 30.5 (8) at 1. Palo Alto 5-5 39.5 (not in field)
5. Leigh 7-3 34.5 (4) at 4 North Salinas 7-3 35 (3)
6. Burlingame 4-6 33 (6) at 3. Branham 8-2 36.5 (5)
7. Greenfield 9-1 31.5 (#1 in D V)at 2. Mountain View 4-6 37..5 (2)

Seedings here could be impacted if Buyrlginame losses to San Mateo today. Other than that I don't see much change occurring.

D V

8. Del Mar 7-3 18 (not in field) at 1. Woodside 6-4 26 (2)
5. Silver Creek 7-3 23 (6) at 4. South San Francisco 9-1 25 (4)
6. Los Altos 5-5 22 (5) at 3. Santa Teresa 4-6 25.5 (3)
7. Oak Grove 4-6 19.5 (not in field) at 3. Overfelt 7-3 25.5 (not in field)

Week 10 results impacted this bracket a great deal. Del Mar (over Prospect), Oak Grove (over Santa Teresa) and Overfelt (over Sobrato) had upset wins to make the field. Not all of these results have been factored into the Calprep ratings so there may be some adjustments here.

At Large berths.

I have the five at-large berths going to Valley Christian, Mitty, Mountain View, Hollister, and North Salinas. North Salinas currently is edging our Kings Academy with 32.5 points to 31.3 points for Kings Academy. North Salinas is currently ranked #29 with a 2.2 rating in CCS and KA is ranked #30 with a -0.3 rating but there is a fairly big spread between the two team. They would have to switch ranking spots for Kings Academy to get in and North Salinas to be out. I don't see that happening.

With Friday's results in, the 40 team field for the CCS play-of is set. None of today's results will change who qualifies for the play-offs. The final results from today and some of the Calpreps adjustments that are made over the next 24 hours will alter the seeding and I will edit the seedings in this post as these changes come in and will highlight the places where changes are expected.

Open
8. Wilcox 7-3 64 (7) at 1. Serra 10-0 88.5 (1)
7. Salinas 7-3 64.5 (#1 in DII) at St. Francis 7-3 78.5 (2)

Salinas finally overtook Mitty in the cal prep rankings and gained a point while Mitty dropped a point. The big thing I am watching now is that Clayton Valley is currently ranked #100 in California. If they drop to 101 or lower Salinas will lose 0.5 points and drop tot eh 8 seed and Wilcox will go to the #7 seed. I gave Serra and St. Francis a league champion point for playing De La Salle. I am not sure if that is accurate, but if they lose that point it won't change the seedings. Remember the loser of the Open Play-off will be a finalist for the DI play-offs

D I

6. Valley Christian 6-4 69.5 (6) at 3. St. Ignatius 6-4 74 (3)
5. Los Gatos 8-2 72 (5) st 4. Riordan 7-3 72.5 (4)

Don't see any changes happening here and this is the same as last week. If San Ramon Valley is a league champion (instead of De La Salle) SI would gain an additional point but it won't make a difference in the seedings.

D II

8. Christopher 9-1 49.5 (7) at 1. Mitty 5-5 62.5 (#8 in DI)
5. Live Oak 9-0 58.33 (4) at 4. Menlo 9-1 58.5 (3)
6. Monterey 7-3 (6) at 3. Sacred Heart Prep 6-4 59 (5)
7. Carmel 10-0 51 (8) at 2. Soquel 7-2 60.5 (2)

SHP beat Menlo to change the seeding in DII. Menlo dropped from 3 to 4 SHP went from 5 to 3 and Live Oak went from 4 to 5. Live Oak beat Christopher and as a result I have Carmel and Chsitopehr switching their seeds at 7 and 8. Menlo gained a half point when American Canyon became an A league opponent instead of a B league when their Calprep rating increased which flipped who is home field with Live Oak. The Carmel result today against Pacific grove could alter the seeding.

D III

8. Hollister 3-6 40.33 (7) at 1. Menlo-Atherton 4-6 48.5 (1)
5. Palma 3-7 43.5 (5) at 4. Capuchino 9-1 45 (4)
6. Alisal 9-1 43 (6) at 3. Hillsdale 7-3 45.5 (2)
7. Aragon 8-2 41.5 98) at 2. Scotts Valley 9-1 45.5 (3)

I expect this 8 team field to stay intact but seeding will change before tomorrow as these Calprep rankings have not factored in Aragon's decisive win over Hillsdale in week 10. Aragon will go up and Hillsdale will go down. Not clear how much and how it will impact other teams in between.

D IV

8. Seaside 7-3 30.5 (8) at 1. Palo Alto 5-5 39.5 (not in field)
5. Leigh 7-3 34.5 (4) at 4 North Salinas 7-3 35 (3)
6. Burlingame 4-6 33 (6) at 3. Branham 8-2 36.5 (5)
7. Greenfield 9-1 31.5 (#1 in D V)at 2. Mountain View 4-6 37..5 (2)

Seedings here could be impacted if Buyrlginame losses to San Mateo today. Other than that I don't see much change occurring.

D V

8. Del Mar 7-3 18 (not in field) at 1. Woodside 6-4 26 (2)
5. Silver Creek 7-3 23 (6) at 4. South San Francisco 9-1 25 (4)
6. Los Altos 5-5 22 (5) at 3. Santa Teresa 4-6 25.5 (3)
7. Oak Grove 4-6 19.5 (not in field) at 3. Overfelt 7-3 25.5 (not in field)

Week 10 results impacted this bracket a great deal. Del Mar (over Prospect), Oak Grove (over Santa Teresa) and Overfelt (over Sobrato) had upset wins to make the field. Not all of these results have been factored into the Calprep ratings so there may be some adjustments here.

At Large berths.

I have the five at-large berths going to Valley Christian, Mitty, Mountain View, Hollister, and North Salinas. North Salinas currently is edging our Kings Academy with 32.5 points to 31.3 points for Kings Academy. North Salinas is currently ranked #29 with a 2.2 rating in CCS and KA is ranked #30 with a -0.3 rating but there is a fairly big spread between the two team. They would have to switch ranking spots for Kings Academy to get in and North Salinas to be out. I don't see that happening.
I believe Leland received the 4th AQ in the Mount Hamilton. After the 3 way was decided. It went to head to head vs Oak Grove and Leland beat Oak Grove.

You don’t understand the system.

CCS D1 Bracket is going to be a battle! All 4 teams appear evenly matched.
AR has the apparent advantage at least until the final round when D-O 2nd team moves to D1. That being said, most teams in D1 seem to be operating at their highest level of the season. It should be a great fight toward the CCS D1 championship.

AR has the apparent advantage at least until the final round when D-O 2nd team moves to D1. That being said, most teams in D1 seem to be operating at their highest level of the season. It should be a great fight toward the CCS D1 championship.
U r very ON POINT @ArmchairGOAT & @FBAddict

Riordan has had some #’s Tag a achievements this year, but they would be for NOT if they can not bring home a ship.

I guess the One last #’x Tag IS the Three that I personally have and lN felt All Season

#PURPLERIEGN
#WeRtheCrusaders
#IBelieveN-Riordan

Last edited:
Any then Carmel will be battle tested.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT